War never ending on all sides!(Also starting new game looking for a new faction)

Best Kingdom for a new game (Good Calvary and Infantry, Strategic Faction. etc.

• Swadia

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Rhodoks

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Sarrandid

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Vaegris

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Nords

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Khergit

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been playing warband for like 385 in-game days and have conqured all of the nords and vaegris, that was really fun. But now instead of picking at one kingdom at a time my faction (SWADIA!) now declared war against everyone! I have to keep constant watch over all my towns and castles and everytime i captue a place it gets re-captured in minutes. The kings never make peace! Even more annoying is the nord and vaegris war parties made up of 1 man keep raiding my villages and doing annoying stuff! I can't make any progress (by map and conquering cities expanding territory) if i do it gets taken back. Well i became marshal and my controversary immediately reached max so i resigned marshalship :sad:. I have an awesome party but i can't do much with it. I realize i could start my own kingdom or something but ive conqured to much land to feel like recovering.

STILL ITS A FUN GAME! I just had to get that out of my system. :grin:

I will never pick swadians for my faction/base for their love of war, I also see them in constant war.  Even as a Nord I had about 40 days of peace in which to build up a couple of garrisons...

Playing as Swadians can be a real pain, what with Fatty Harlaus and his inbred mind.

If you're interested in a challenge, try forging your own kingdom or supporting Lady Isolla of Suno as claimant. Either you or Isolla should hopefully make better monarchs.

Otherwise, train up more troops. To pay for said troops, purchase enterprises in towns if you already haven't, go looting, do some trading. Once you can support more troops, use them to garrison any new fiefs you conquer.

Goes without saying that you should be the marshal so you can effectively take and defend fiefs.

Hope this helps. :grin:

Swadians tend to engage in all out wars with several factions, because they're in the middle of the map and because harlaus is a bit of a retard, its a hard faction, but most wars are declared on them more than declared by them actually

They get, bar none, the strongest overall units in the game i.e. the Swadian Knights. A full retinue of Swadian Knights can just demolish anything in open combat, and still work as very good siege troops (but not the best, arguably that'd be Nord Huscarl for offensive sieges, and Vaegir Marksmen for defensive sieges).

Given the overwhelming Swadian shock troops, it makes sense that they'd need to be balanced by having a harder campaign.

EDIT: Misspelled my own favourite faction's name, because I'm a retard

BGH122 said:
They get, bar none, the strongest overall units in the game i.e. the Swadian Knights. A full retinue of Swadian Knights can just demolish anything in open combat, and still work as very good siege troops (but not the best, arguably that'd be Nord Huscarl for offensive sieges, and Veagir Marksmen for defensive sieges).

Given the overwhelming Swadian shock troops, it makes sense that they'd need to be balanced by having a harder campaign.

that would be true, if:
-you were unable to just shamble over the border and recruit them anytime, or at least conquer a castle or two to recruit in times of war.
-the AI were really any good.  honestly, I just saw the khergits take over Dhirim, maybe 1-2 castles.  Swadians might be honest siegers, but khergits?

autocalc and AI tactics.

King Harlaus is a retard indeed.

I have a campaign where my Swadian Count character conquered Veluca, Grunwalder, and like 1/3th of the entire Rhodok lands in a week.

A while later we suddenly were at war with 4 nations, and we lost Dhirim, Suno, Uxkhal, Veluca and about half of our castles to the Nords, Rhodoks and Khergits.

(hehehe, Vaegirs always targeted my castle (Grunwalder) They destroyed their marshal's army of ~1500 men at a garrison of 100 Rhodok sharpies, 70 Swad knights, and 100 Rhodok and Swad sergeants  :twisted:)

In diplomacy mod it makes things harder, usually you get Swadia at war with either vaegirs/khergits/nords/rhodoks or seldomly sarranids the Swadian starts with the most towns/castles so they are seen as a growing power other nation always curb growing power to balance things out, also with the defensive/alliance pacts you usually get all 5 faction at war with swadia due to it. 

Gatta love Harlaus granting me Dhirim/Suno/Praven after the Khergits/Nords/Rhodoks took it from them >:smile:

Arterra said:
BGH122 said:
They get, bar none, the strongest overall units in the game i.e. the Swadian Knights. A full retinue of Swadian Knights can just demolish anything in open combat, and still work as very good siege troops (but not the best, arguably that'd be Nord Huscarl for offensive sieges, and Veagir Marksmen for defensive sieges).

that would be true, if:
-you were unable to just shamble over the border and recruit them anytime, or at least conquer a castle or two to recruit in times of war.
-the AI were really any good.  honestly, I just saw the khergits take over Dhirim, maybe 1-2 castles.  Swadians might be honest siegers, but khergits?

Your first point isn't really valid if you consider the fact that Swadians, as noted, are almost always at war with almost everyone, so if a non-Swadian faction tries to use Swadian troops they'll almost certainly get nasty morale debuffs.

You're right about the second point, but that's basically an AI problem that's persistent with all factions, rather than unique to the Swadians.

BGH122 said:
that would be true, if:

Autocalc doesnt factor real unit strengths into this. Its just numbers involved.
Real unit strength only comes into play when you participate in a live siege, not a mock autocalc.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that once a faction gets so large all factions declare war to curb said faction's power. It is then harder to for the faction to declare peace. And if you can't keep your own fiefs then you have expanded to much. My towns always have 400-500 middle to top tier troops.

chargers1783 said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned that once a faction gets so large all factions declare war to curb said faction's power. It is then harder to for the faction to declare peace. And if you can't keep your own fiefs then you have expanded to much. My towns always have 400-500 middle to top tier troops.
it also may happen that you become so powerful that nobody declares war on you

AAHH!! This is driving me crazy! My stupid vaegirs are at war with 2 fronts - nords n khergits (who are each down to 1 town n a pitiful handful of castles left). Those 2 enemy factions are very active in war but my idiot vaegirs dont even seem to notice they are at war! All the vaegir lords are running around on their own n getting steamrolled when they get smashed by the enemy marshal army.

And the thing is, I'm the only one fighting back the tide. The rest of my vaegir lords are so weak **** they cant even get past 50 troops in their army.

So besides doing the guild master quest for peace, is there ANY other ways to get peace?
*Edit: Forgot to specify: I'm a vassal*

I havnt had peace for ages!!!!! Been fighting so much, my rhodok recruits have all become sharpshooters, my nord recruits are all huscarls now. Thats how much fighting I been doing! CRAZY!

I shouldv'e mentioned that its harder when your at war with everyone because you can't recruit from their villages and barely any of your faction's villages are recruitable from on account of them being raided all the time.

I became mashal again totally obliterated the sarrandid, next.... the khergits.

btw when im done conquering all of caladria im gonna start a new game. i've grown attached to swadia and their awesome soldiers but im wondering which faction to choose besides swadia because i dont wanna play the same way. i was thinking nords but i like having a mix of calvary and infantry.

if this helps my party is made up of 64 Swadian Sargeants and 62 Swadian Knights.

DogSoldieR said:
AAHH!! This is driving me crazy! My stupid vaegirs are at war with 2 fronts - nords n khergits (who are each down to 1 town n a pitiful handful of castles left). Those 2 enemy factions are very active in war but my idiot vaegirs dont even seem to notice they are at war! All the vaegir lords are running around on their own n getting steamrolled when they get smashed by the enemy marshal army.

And the thing is, I'm the only one fighting back the tide. The rest of my vaegir lords are so weak **** they cant even get past 50 troops in their army.

So besides doing the guild master quest for peace, is there ANY other ways to get peace?
*Edit: Forgot to specify: I'm a vassal*

I havnt had peace for ages!!!!! Been fighting so much, my rhodok recruits have all become sharpshooters, my nord recruits are all huscarls now. Thats how much fighting I been doing! CRAZY!

Are you the marshal?  I've found that it's good to be the marshal at times like that because I can either: a) rally the lords and wipe out factions clinging to few territories or b) send the useless lords to feint and draw off marshal armies and use that distraction to take more territory for myself.

Well if you want a good mix of cavalry and infantry i would suggest vaegirs. It helps that they have the best archers in the game (not the best ranged units, the best archers.) Plus if you want to make your own faction again the western nord area is enclosed by mountains and is a good starting point for a kingdom. You just want to make sure that the vaegirs have sufficiently weakened the nords enough that you can handle them.  :wink:

I joined the Khergits for the hell of it.  I must say that the lancers are better in sieges than I imagined.  The horse archers seem capable of hitting troops on horseback alright, though there are still some annoying flukes.

Also the fact that the lords field exclusively cavalry makes them following you on the world map slightly less painful. They are also a decent ally in a battle if you field nothing but cavalry.

The horse archers aren't as accurate on foot as I was hoping. You'd think a guy that can hit a target from a running horse could put an arrow in a crossbowman's eyeball.

Awesome quote from a book I read:

Mongol warrior missed a target: "Sorry m'lord, I shoot better from horseback..."

They can be quite dissapoiting, but as cheap and massed siege defenders they pack a punch against non-shielded units.

Roran 13 said:
but as cheap and massed siege defenders they pack a punch against non-shielded units.

And because they are cheap, they mass top tiers faster than any, and able to strike back much faster than all other factions

JosieJ said:
Are you the marshal?  I've found that it's good to be the marshal at times like that because I can either: a) rally the lords and wipe out factions clinging to few territories or b) send the useless lords to feint and draw off marshal armies and use that distraction to take more territory for myself.

No I'm not the marshal, the idiot king doesnt appoint a marshal until very late into the campaign. Dont know what he is doing, keeps telling me we are not on campaign whenever I question him about a marshal. That despite enemies sieging all our castles, burning all our villages to the ground. Dumbass Yaroglek.

I ended up taking the last option: Take more territory for myself. I gave up trying to organise the fools and went picking off choice fiefs I had my eye on. I just taken Halmar from the swadians, who took it from the Khergits, as well as a castle originally belonging to the khergits (now owned by swadians, b4 I took it) at the edge of Rhodok/Saranid border. I ended up enraging the swadian marshal army, they gave up storming Sargoth (under vaegirs now) and came steaming down towards my Halmar to take it back. I had to siege Uxhal while they were sieging my Halmar to get them to break off to chase me off. Now I'm playing hide n seek with them hoping my idiot vaegirs wake up from their slumber n do something! And what happens? Idiot Yaroglek declares a FEAST! And everyone came to stuff their faces while I am chased by the entire swadian marshal army. Great.. I'm so gonna defect to the Swadians once I got Halmar approved to me by the damn vaegir king. For once, Fatty Harlaus looks good. :sad:

*Edit: Me thinks maybe soon I should join the Swadians or turn against damn Yaroglek and declare for his cousin Valdrim to take over the vaegirs. Either that or declare allegiance to the Sarranids.

Back
Top Bottom