War Movies

Users who are viewing this thread

Feragorn said:
The Pacific. Ten hour miniseries, basically counts as an extended movie.

Forgot to ever watch that :/

Generation kill was all right but not so much action.

Edit : Hurt locker

Full Metal Jacket is superb, one of Kubrick's finest I think.

Stalingrad (1993 version) is great as well.

I'd also check out Cross of Iron as it's another interesting take on the Axis side of the war. Obviously since 1977 there's been more films focusing on the 'enemy' side of things, although it's not half bad.

Feragorn said:
I liked all of it. Especially Peleliu and Okinawa.

And it didn't have the scale of BoB. Not a bad thing, you get to know people more.

Yeah...I dont know, I just didnt like it when they transitioned back home a lot.

BenKenobi said:
Nahkuri said:
a Bridge Too Far.
Seconded.

Helfy said:
Have you seen Paschendale? It is a Canadian film about WW1. Its had mixed reviews, but I enjoyed it for the most part.  The story is silly but the battle scenes were intense.

No recommendation from my side, unless you're into exaggerated action scenes which are not intense but ridiculous at most.

Too bad there aren't many WWI movies out there.

As for realistic, moving movies...

The Long Day's Dying is quite a piece of unique movie. It is minimalistic and you can hear the actual thoughts of characters.

Riders in the sky is very, very moving. Ending is so much shocking that it makes Das Boot ending looks like a happy end.

And one more on the non-moving note:
Bridge over Kwai. Alec Guiness shines once more.

Hengist said:
Yes, I admit I don't know many.
I would look for realistic, moving movies.

Thats what I want from a WWI movie. One that does not shy away from the pure brutality of the conflict.

I really didnt like Warhorse. Ive havent seen the film, but the book was a piece of crap as far as I was concerned. Is the film any better?

Yeah. I liked the trench scene, when the guy was ordered to shoot any retreaters.

Hengist said:
Yes, I admit I don't know many.
I would look for realistic, moving movies.
Check "Beneath Hill 60", "Flyboys", and "The Lost Battalion".

Back
Top Bottom