Users who are viewing this thread

With the new Skeleton system implemented in Bannerlord, there is little reason to not make more use of it than there currently is. And yet, the only mounts that present a clear deviation from the common horse cavalry are the Camels, which as far as I can tell aren't used in any major way by anyone, with not even the Aserai having any Camel Riders in their Noble or Commoner troop trees.

As such, I'd like to suggest that more different and Interesting mounts are added to the game to make use of the Skeleton system, and that these mounts in particular be War Elephants and more fleshed-out Camels added to the Aserai troop rosters.The Logic behind this is that currently, the Aserai don't really fill a concrete role due to none of their units really being exceptional, with them most closely resembling something like another generalist faction akin to the Empire. With the addition of proper war Camels and Elephants to their rosters, their specialty could easily become being the faction bringing exotic beasts to the table that utterly break the mold of Calradian continental warfare.

Camels, well, they should just kinda be what the noble line of the Aserai generally uses in my opinion. There should just be more of them around. What's the point of having them if you barely ever see them being used by anyone in the game?

Elephants in particular however, could also open the route towards mounts with multiple riders/multiple crew members. As such, Instead of them being tied to one of the lines, they should be available to be bought at special vendors or the general market place without any soldiers on top of them. It should then be possible to access a menu in party composition or the inventory which allows the player to select anywhere from 1-6 people, depending on the particular elephant, to be put on top of it and use it as a small mobile fortress. This, coupled with elephants being extraordinarily expensive in respect to how rare they are, should solve most of the naturally arising balancing concerns with most lords only being able to afford no more than perhaps 3 of those Animals. In exchange for this price, the elephants should then be a lot braver than they are in reality to both make them worthwhile and help creating the power fantasy. Breaking hostile infantry lines on top of a giant beast ought to be epic, and they'd make a nice command platform in any case.

At this point I'd like to address some of the criticism I've seen on other similar posts all over the internet with people saying that bannerlord is somehow the wrong time period for this. And well, that's just other nonsense. Bannerlord isn't reality, and many of the reasons for why war elephants became less and less used in European and medieval warfare just don't, or don't need to, exist. There is no reason for elephants necessarily having to be as cowardly as they are in reality, Gun powder weapons don't exist yet, and they don't need to be extinct in Aserai lands, with the extinction of the North African and Middle eastern elephant species' being the ultimate main reason for why they stopped being used in Mediterranean warfare as early as they were.

EDIT: please provide reasons for why you don't want war elephants if you vote 'no'.

Last edited:
First of, I am all pro camels! They fit in in all aspects. Aserai using horses to the degree they does, with the harch desertland they live in is not that realistic. AI vice, Camel raiders could more or less ride a horse dressed up as a Camel-no major changes is needed. Texture- vice they have another movement-patters which ofcourse would take time to fully implement. Switching them to use camels is easy in all aspects but one - They would need camels and war camels tradegoods. Goods they can't restock outside the desert. AI is currently cheating with horses and war horses and could cheat with camels aswell. But the player? The inability to restock my mount during offensive wars inside Aserai land as anyone else or outside Aserai land as Aserai would probably make players avoid Aserai and their land - isolating them even more. The only solution to this would be counting horses as camels and vice versa when needed - which is not opimal.

But yeah! Camels, bring them on!

War elefants. That´s a major beef. Just bringing them in is not a hard thing. Model them, create a tradegood and they are in. You mention all lore- arguments and I can buy both against -arguments and your counters. The setting we want the game to have is subjective.

It would however take a lot of work to teach AI to fight with them and against them. The battle-code would probably be alot more complex with alot of rare elefant-scenaries. They would need to introduce friendly fire - unlike everything else does today(Horses should also do Friendly fire IMHO), considering they are a great splacher(High AOE damage to multiple targets).

My subjective opinion is that bringing in War elephants for the the war elephants alone is probably not worth it - for me. spending the amount of time needed to implement it right only for one faction to use is - I have very hard time to value such a change over any other aspect of the game.
BUT - if war elephants is added with an acceptable degree of precision, it would likely open up for all kinds of fancy fantasy mods including boats, firebreathing dragons and even spaceships for Sci-fi settings, which all together would be great for the game and grow the community.

And I can see them be brought in beside Chariats and other potential "non-siege" war-machines.

Yep I'd like to see them too, and more camels too, I think Aserai are not weak, but spicing them with exotic mounts would be nice.

But I would like to take horses out of them either, nor for them to have a lot of mounted units and become a Khuzait.

Elephants should be "exotic" or " special" hard to hire and sustain, so we don't see many armies around with a "plethora" of them.

Back
Top Bottom