War Diaries (POSTS 1 AND 3) Continued! Royal Highlander Greatcoat Kilt Fixed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Derpingtonpryce said:
I'm waiting for the new patch, my entire army has greatcoats and it's really bothering me.

I can imagine.  Though, no offense to your army, I don't think Docm should release another patch so soon.

Reason being is that there is a LOT for L'aigle that needs to be done.  I haven't asked him personally, but I feel that people asking for certain things to be fixed (particularly if it involves coding) may slow down the progress of the mod as a whole.  Don't get me wrong, it's good to report bugs and the like, but people pestered him from day one about L'aigle's release and it took forever.  Now that it's released, people tend to make posts SPECIFICALLY for bugs without realizing that there is a thread for bugs and the like already.

I can imagine what it's like having all these greatcoats when you want to see a nice Anglo red line.  The naked soldiers, too.  I just think that it may be best to try to find time between patches, maybe with a new save.  Besides, I rather enjoyed reading what you've been up to. :wink:

Captured Joe said:
Small tip: If you want to look like a Spanish soldier, try Neapolitan uniforms.

Assuming this is aimed at me?  >.>

I thought about it, don't think I haven't.  But rather than go with a more historical appearance, I decided go with something a bit less historical.  For now, go with the Prussian Cuirassier because its white AND Prussian.  Though my character may be Spanish, he still serves Prussia.  If you're referring to the followers I've collected, they are using that Bavarian Dragoon tunic right now.  It's based on a mod I have for Spain in NTW that is COMPLETELY historically inaccurate, but it makes the uniforms like snazzy as ****.  This is the Napoleonic Era, after all.  You don't win battles with strategy, discipline, or firepower but by out dressing your foe and making him feel so insecure about his appearance that he returns home to tell his wife "There was no way we were going to win that battle, they dressed like they had someplace to be!  Who are we to get in their way?"

Pretty sure Sun Tzu said that.

Captured Joe said:
:lol:

Well just in case you want to pretent having real Spaniards in screenshots.

...that...makes so much sense, actually.  If my character ever finds himself returning to Spain, I'll keep this in mind.

Inzunza said:
You don't win battles with strategy, discipline, or firepower but by out dressing your foe and making him feel so insecure about his appearance that he returns home to tell his wife "There was no way we were going to win that battle, they dressed like they had someplace to be!  Who are we to get in their way?"

I need to remember that!

Inzunza said:
Derpingtonpryce said:
I'm waiting for the new patch, my entire army has greatcoats and it's really bothering me.

I can imagine.  Though, no offense to your army, I don't think Docm should release another patch so soon.

Reason being is that there is a LOT for L'aigle that needs to be done.  I haven't asked him personally, but I feel that people asking for certain things to be fixed (particularly if it involves coding) may slow down the progress of the mod as a whole.  Don't get me wrong, it's good to report bugs and the like, but people pestered him from day one about L'aigle's release and it took forever.  Now that it's released, people tend to make posts SPECIFICALLY for bugs without realizing that there is a thread for bugs and the like already.

I can imagine what it's like having all these greatcoats when you want to see a nice Anglo red line.  The naked soldiers, too.  I just think that it may be best to try to find time between patches, maybe with a new save.  Besides, I rather enjoyed reading what you've been up to. :wink:

I appreciate that, I might continue again once Britain finally goes back to war.

Derpingtonpryce said:
I appreciate that, I might continue again once Britain finally goes back to war.

Hope you do.  I think my next playthrough will be a Scot in the British army.  Small inspiration from a few of the folks here, perhaps even yourself, Mr BEF.  :wink:

So much for the pleasant settling in Berlin. I was rapidly challenged to a duel by a tavern patron whom I had accidentally spilled the drink of. The duel took three shots, resulting in a dead patron... I think I should get out of here before the militia search for me. I do not know how Prussian law works here, me being from Calradia, and I doubt I'd like to.
I supposed this was forced onto me, but now I am assigned to hunt down smugglers. Riding to their last known location now.

[There is no further writing in the journal, suggesting that the writer had died while on the hunt for said smugglers.]

For the people who want to command Scots, I made a quick fix for the greatcoat kilt no kilt for redcoat bug is fixed.

October 1st, 1809

I've left to gather more forces.  Find volunteers to help defend the fort in Gora.  I'd rather not have to reconquer anything if I have to and I'd also prefer not to defend with too few men.  I know the Austrians seem to prefer a bit of force, but I feel Poznan's defense may have shaken them a bit.  I can only hope my men can defend as the Poles have.

If not, maybe we can be lucky.

October 6th, 1809

I'm returning from East Prussia.  I feel I have enough men to hold onto Gora.  Plenty of good news, though.  Prussian forces have immediately taken Warsaw.  Keeping to that Prussian tradition of hitting fast before they can respond.  When Spain has little wars, Prussia has lightning wars.  I'll still recruit and train as many men as possible, but I wonder if I will really need to.  I do not think this war would last as long as the war with Russia.

October 8th, 1809

I didn't think the English could do it.  They finally decided to charge into Poznan.  I decided to set up camp and watch as their army was crushed thoroughly.  I noticed Poznan had far more men than they once had, before the Austrians tried to take the city.  And after the Austrians are dealt with, I feel the Poles would be our next target.  I'm not sure how well our men will fight compared to the English or Austrians, but I do not like to think about how much of a mess it would be to take.

I watched as the few survivors fled west to England.  They'll have a lot of ground to cover and if the Poles decided to give chase, nothing would stop them.  I've heard the Polish were excellent horsemen.  If they still are, then I doubt any Englishman would return home.  Save for maybe the officers and lords who have already fled while the battle was still in progress.

I thought that would conclude the day, but unfortunately, it seems Warsaw was retaken by the Austrians.  A courier from Gora delivered this bit of news only moments from now.  Warsaw may become the Grodno I feared.  Which is fortunate in a way.  The fort near Gora may be spared and could be given some time to bolster the defenses it needs.

October 10th, 1809

I probably should have guessed I'd do something stupid.  After bringing the fresh recruits to the fort, I thought it'd be best to hit Warsaw before they could bolster their own defenses there.  This would be a costly preemptive strike, even if it does succeed.  But, it has to be done.

Laying siege now, as a matter of fact.  Scouts tell me that they have a very slight number advantage, but for the most part we should be able to pull through.  Lets hope Prussian discipline holds tomorrow.

October 11th, 1809

The casualties were plentiful.  But we pulled through.  Not only did we pull through, but I stumbled upon two sets of colors.  Both for Austrian infantry divisions.  It was hard fought, but not only did we take the city but we took their colors.  This will bring honor to the Spanish Guard and a bit of bragging rights against the Austrians.  I'll send back my men, bring some recruits and ensure they are trained while stationed in Warsaw.  Now we just have to hold onto the city.

October 12th, 1809

Prussian forces must be hitting Austria hard.  We were attacked by one Karl von Schwarzenburg.  He had a slight advantage in numbers as well, but we still held our ground.  Bold, though.  Attacked as soon as he could.

I ordered my men to take the trench immediately before the battlements.  As I have no artillerymen in my current regiment, the cannons are more for show than glory.  My grenadiers formed two ranks, the first rank kneeling as the second rank stood with permission to fire whenever they see fit.  Karl was leading his men from the front as any good general should.  He ran with his men rather than ride atop a horse.  However, I couldn't help myself when I decided to be the lesser of the two commanders by charging from the trench directly towards him, aimed my pistol at the man, and shot his leg out from under him before returning back to my trench.  My men cheered at my return while his began shooting.  However, thanks to the trench, casualties were light.  I don't think any men were actually killed.  Not even the recruits.

It's a good sign.

However, our numbers have been bolstered by this victory.  Upon raiding what was left of their camp, we've stumbled upon Prussian soldiers.  Experienced men who had the misfortune of being captured.  They seem thankful, if not a tad vengeful.  They were more than happy to rejoin their comrades, especially when told that Karl had been captured and held by my men.  I do not think I shall order his release any time soon.

October 15th, 1809

The Austrians have been applying a lot of pressure on Warsaw, usually with small regiments rather than full armies.  There have been several sieges, sometimes one after another.  We've repelled them all and there have been several promotions amongst the ranks.  I'll be leaving again to try to gather more men and leave some of my prisoners, including a few Austrian generals who had the misfortune of thinking my men would run.

October 16th, 1809

News has reached me that Lublin has been taken from the Austrians.  I'm rather surprised how fast we've been pushing.  All the meanwhile, countries have started to make peace, such as Rhineland with the Dutch and French.  I think only Great Britain wars with Italy as we war with the Austrians.  Maybe after this war, there will be peace elsewhere.

October 21st, 1809

I've been running troops back and forth between Prussia and inner Poland.  We've captured Torun from the Austrians as well, a couple days back.  King Freddy has asked me through a courier note if I would like military governorship in the area.  I wrote to him that I wouldn't and I'd prefer Warsaw as it would be easier for me to reinforce from Gora should the time arise.  I hope he understands what I mean.  I don't want to be rude, but it's bad enough I have to import troops from Prussia.

Every now and then, I've stumbled upon prisoners of war held by the Austrians.  Some Poles, some Dutch, mostly Prussians, and peasantry.  With Warsaw's ever growing garrison, I thought it be best to send these men and women there.  I didn't think I would command over Polish and Dutch soldiers, but they don't seem to mind fighting for Prussia.  The peasants, however, I hope they do not fight.  My heart goes out to them for the well being of their homes and families.  Maybe after the war ends, I'll order my guard to help them find a place to settle.  Might let them stay in the new territories of Prussia.

October 22nd, 1809

I receive word of a fresh campaign from von Wittenberg.  His campaigns tend to be quick, usually just to take a city and then ends it after its in Prussian hands.  I've usually ignored them to focus on defending Poland, but I think I will join him this time as soon as I've brought these new men to Warsaw.  And after I hand in these colors I've been collecting.

I sometimes join smaller Generals in their battles as I'm taking my troops back.  Twice I've had to recollect our own colors.  One for Prussian Infantry, the other for Prussian Guard.  I'm not sure if I will be compensated for fetching them back, but so long as they're returned I do not see a reason to worry.

October 25th, 1809

Should have guessed they'd retake Lublin.  But, our army sits at the gates, ready to retake it.  The Austrians have been trying to fight back, but they've seem to have lost everything.  Since the Holy Roman Empire was dissolved, their only two provinces seems to be Austria and Hungary.  Napoleon's Italy in the South, Prussia to the North.  The land they took from Poland has been returned under Berlin's influence.  I haven't been as involved in this war as I was the war with Russia, but it seems I'm hardly needed.  Defending Poland is far easier than defending Lithuania, as there is less land to travel over making ambushes more frequent for smaller forces.  Maybe they will realize the mistake of declaring war and save themselves before Vienna is taken.

Though, this time is different.  Lublin is reinforced with none other than the Kaiser himself.  His own army sits behind the gates of the city.  Forget any colors that may be found on the field, I want to capture him.  That's assuming I get past his far larger detachment than any of his generals.  I can be hopeful.

October 26th, 1809

The battle was long and there were plenty of casualties for both sides.  Plenty of dead, even more wounded.  However, the battle is over and we came out on top.  The Emperor's Own men couldn't stop us, with my Grenadiers following closely behind as we took their defenses from the side with fire support from Prussia's finest light infantrymen.  We took the flank and kept pushing in while the main body hit head on.

It was good for us.  We swept over the enemy quickly.  We even bumped into Kaiser Franz himself.  Rather than let any of my men take the glory, I promptly ran up to him and shot out his leg from underneath him.  A nasty habit I've developed, I'm sure, but he'll live and hopefully won't get away.  We continued to push and as we did, the main body pushed with us.

Though we've lost plenty of men, our victory today was thorough and complete.  With Austria's Kaiser being captured after the battle, thanks to my less than gentlemanly acts, I was offered first pick in whatever plunders I may see fit.  It may sound impressive, but it only really entitles me to taking whichever prisoners I want first, including an Austrian General and the Kaiser, and liberating any Prussians they may have taken prior.  I'm returning to Gora to let the Kaiser sit in a cell and consider his follies.  Perhaps also help reinforce the fort so none of his generals can take him back.

2015-01-10_00004_zps1a981251.jpg
2015-01-10_00001_zpsd4923246.jpg

October 30th, 1809

I haven't written in my journal for a few days.  As soon as I reached Gora, a dispatcher was waiting for me.  He told me that the rest of the Austrian army was outside the gates of Lublin and the only general defending is von Rüchel.

To be honest, the entirety of the Austrian Army could have Lublin if it were defended by any other general.  I'd only face them if I had the entirety of the Prussian Army with me, but that's hardly the case.  However, von Rüchel has been quite helpful since I've gotten to Prussia.  It may be a lost cause, but I'd rather it be so than sully my own name and abandon him.

I asked for volunteers, told them that we won't be facing lone regiments or a division.  Told them that we'll be headed for Lublin to defend the trenches that we've taken against the full Austrian forces.

Not all volunteered, but enough.  I granted some time to write letters to loved ones, wills, maybe even help repay debts.  So long as they had their paperwork in order before we left.  Some of the men are optimistic.  That was a couple days ago.

Now?  We rushed into the city, during the night while avoiding Austrian patrols.  We were mostly quiet, though one of the Generals began leading men towards us.  He was slow, though.  We were fast.  We entered the city with little difficulty.  I met with von Rüchel immediately, and though he was happy to see me, he was surprised.  Guess he didn't think anyone was coming to his aid.  I told a poor joke about how I happened to be passing by and decided to see what all the commotion was about.  Again, it was a poor joke but preferable to telling him that "We ran as fast as we could with our arms in the air and screaming at the top of our lungs as Austrians chased us inside the city."

I don't think he'd enjoy that bit of truth.  Seems like the Austrians are almost finished with their siegeworks.  I'm not looking forward to tomorrow morning.

November 2nd, 1809

I've been offered money for the generals I've captured.  Plenty of money, it helps fund my own war effort.  I remember when Karl von Schmernerferner or whatever the devil his name was, fetched a hefty bounty.  Honestly, I didn't need the money.  I felt bad, his family offered the money with a very heartfelt letter.  I wanted to send the general back with his money, along with most generals I've caught.  But, I couldn't do that.  Anything for Prussia's war effort is needed.  But I can let them go, even if they do raise arms against the Prussian crown.

I'm reminded of this as I sit in a cage, von Schmernerferner himself delighting to see me again to tell the delightful tail of how he heroically escaped my grasps with his cunning and charm and freed himself from Gora's prison.  He, of course, forgets the help of Mrs. von Schwarzenburg who payed for his freedom.  I'm not sure why, but he seems bitter with our encounter.  Probably had something to do with shooting him in the leg as he lead his men while they watched him fall before them, screaming in pain.  I say this because these Austrians are denying me my prisoner rations.  Haven't eaten since the morning of the siege, but that's alright.  I've gained a few pounds off Prussian sausage anyways.  So, now I sit by myself.  The only source of light is a torch at the end of the hallway and I'm completely alone with the exception of the occasional rat and a passerby guard to make sure I haven't escaped.  Or died.

Two of my Valkyries and one of my Grenadiers are waiting in the city while wearing civilian clothes.  They smuggled in my journal but nothing else past the guard, as if they couldn't have been bothered to find a loaf of bread.  But at least I have the journal to pass the time.  If only I had something worth writing for the rest of my imprisonment.

I don't think I need to go in detail about the siege, especially since anyone reading this will know how it ended, but it's worth noting anyways.

I woke up well before the sun rose.  Woke up my men, too.  Made sure they were ready for battle the moment day broke over Lublin's walls.  I let Ernst sleep in, however.  Perhaps to my own bravado, I started forming our forces in the trench, with line infantry in front, closest to the enemy and who can fire directly as the enemy charges, dismounted cavalrymen with sabres, carbines, and pistols behind them at the bottom of the trench, and skirmishers and light infantry with the battlements and cannons.

I was hoping this strategy would work, at least hold them off for reinforcements.  The idea was to have as many muskets fire down upon them as possible.  When the Austrian army gets too close, I'll sally forth with the cavalrymen and each will fire a single shot before charging with sword.  Hopefully, this will hold the Austrians long enough for the skirmishers to get more direct hits.  After a while, I'll issue the line infantry to fix bayonets and charge, pulling back our dismounted cavalry to behind the skirmishers.  Soon, bring back the infantry and skirmishers and make the last line hold behind the cannons.

The Austrians took their time that day.  It must have been ten in the morning when they finally started.  It wasn't too bad for us, though.  Plenty of Prussians took quick naps in the trench while they waited.  So long as they were awake when the fighting starts and not that groggy half-dead state, why should I care?  Ernst joined me at the battlements.  He asked for my strategy, I told him, I asked for his opinion and he shrugged.  I wasn't sure how to take it.  Did he not know if it was good?  Did he not care?  I didn't go to a military university back in Spain, I'm just trying whatever I can to see if it'd work.

Looking back, maybe I was a bit on edge.  I don't think he had faced a situation like this either.  He did go with my strategy, though.  Allowed me to lead the defense.  I'm not sure why, to be fair.  Perhaps he trusted me.  Perhaps it was too late to issue new orders.  Or just maybe he couldn't be bothered.

Whatever the case was, it seemed like the strategy was working earlier in the battle.  Plenty of Austrians began to fall well before they made it across that field.  With each musket volley, a part of their force fell.  Of course, they had plenty more to reinforce this number, but we fired nonetheless.  Soon, they were close enough and the cavalrymen charged from the trench, fired their shot, and rushed the enemy.  I think the Austrians were surprised.  Don't think they expected to fight with bayonets and swords so soon as plenty fell within the first charge.

However, the cavalry were being shot at by plenty of Austrian arms.  Casualties started to rise, and soon I ordered the cavalry to fall back and the infantry to fire their last volley and charge.  Their charge covered the cavalry quite well.  As soon as I ensured they were in a good defending position behind the cannons, I charged back to join the infantry.  Unfortunately, the charge wasn't as effective as the first.  The Austrians were already prepared for a brawl, and I ordered my infantry and skirmishers to fall back.  Ernst, who'd been overlooking my command during most of the fighting, had been hit by a stray musket ball as we retreated.  Perhaps I'm a bit ashamed to admit I was surprised.  Frozen in my own boots.  After I regained my head, I ordered two dismounted Hussars to take the general into the city, find some horses, and ride as fast as they could to the next friendly Prussian town.

They were spared, as the fall of the city wasn't much further.  Our last stand was with farmhouses.  With my grenadiers directly by my side and the Austrians charging over the battlements and from the flanks, it was easy to say that we've been overwhelmed.  The dismounted cavalry were soon all killed and captured.  Then the line.  Then the skirmishers.  It was just me and my last few grenadiers, my own guard.

Before the Austrians charged the last fifteen men who still stood, they were ordered to halt.  One of the Austrian generals stepped forward, a bit of contempt in his eye.  I stared back, taking the time to catch my breath.  He introduced himself with a name I didn't remember and offered me a chance to surrender.  He acknowledged that even if my men each fire their musket and kill one Austrian, they'd still be overwhelmed.  The battle was over and I lost.  If I do so now, my men and myself will be treated with respect.

After a moment of heavy breathing, I politely informed the general that I don't have the authority to issue that order.  That it was my men who would have to decide their fate.  I turned to them, secretly hoping they do concede so I can surrender as well and one of the bastards fire.  This leads to the rest of the grenadiers firing and the Austrian general ordering a charge, and strangely enough, ordering to capture us alive if possible.  I really wish he hadn't fired.

We fought well.  They all charged forward with bayonets, myself with my father's sword.  I didn't last long, as I think I was the first to fall.  Musket butt to the back of the head.  I was out cold.  My men kept fighting but soon fell.  I was told that only 30 men of the Austrian army were still standing.  Not bad, considering they outnumbered us by so unbelievably much.

And yet, after all that heroics, I am here.  Writing in a journal, waiting to be shot or moved to a new jail.  Whose to say?  So much for saving Spain.

2015-01-11_00001_zps19b76d91.jpg

Back
Top Bottom