We all know your skills with spears in the game and you have my respects. However, in my humble opinion not all 2h spears in Bannerlord should be able to perform side swings like in warband, let me explain.i agree with u, spears from warband is the way to go
The problem lies in which animation is conducive to manoeuvrability by weapon length. In Bannerlord we have that most of the spears have a longer length if we compare them with warband.
Here are three weapons that we know well.
In the first image, the spear is short enough to favour the kind of side swings we find in warband that resemble Filipino-style spear/staff fighting and other Asian arts. Therefore, transferring that performance to Bannerlord as long as the weapon size/use ratio is kept, I see it as plausible.
When the spear exceeds the aforementioned lengths, we are no longer strictly speaking about spears, but about polearms (not the poleaxe/axes variant). The use of the awlpike in warband is that even though the dimensions are not much bigger than the short spear. Therefore, in my opinion this type of weapon should not be able to perform lateral swings and should rely on overhead, from below or depending on the weapon (menavlion) stabbing animations with vertical swings from top to bottom. Also, given that we wouldn't have horizontal swings, I would favour those stabs with a repositioning of the weapon after releasing the blow (discussed here).
And finally there are the glaives. They certainly have to be able to swing, it is obvious according to their typology. The problem (in my eyes) in Bannerlord is that these weapons are too long (see Khuzait units), I would personally reduce them to warband's small ones sizes and for horseback a I would penalise its use with a manoeuvrability restriction (swing arcs) as I commented here.
In short, a revision of the weapon usage/animation allowed in weapon:
- 1H spears like in Warband
- 2H short spears like in Warband. Small dimensions to allow a fast lateral swing in a plausible way.
- 2H long spears without horizontal swing, only overhead stabs and stabs from below (*experimental optional - handle grip extensible).
- 2H special cutting spears/polearms menavlion type, only stabs overhead, from below and vertical swing cut (bracing in longer ones). Manoeuvrability penalty. I commented about it here.
- 2h glaives, as in warband but with size reduction for mounted unit versions.
Menavlions on horseback, never.