Voting Poll: Should SOD Warlords start using Warband Script Enhancer?

Should SOD: Warlords start using Warband Script Enhancer?

• Yes

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • What does it do?

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Sword of Damocles: Warlords is already a great mod. But what if it started to use WSE to bring out some extra features that weren't doable before using regular operations? Well what if the mod started requiring that you had to have WSE in order to play to do so? Doing so would mean that you would have to launch an executable other than the default Warband launcher to play the game. It will also mean that mods like battle time would be able to be played, tell me what you think should happen.

Warband Script Enhancer

I saw that brytenwalda uses this so you can launch multiplayer battles in your game...

That doesn't really bother me as I have no friends.....

I guess it would depend on what else it would offer to the game play. I guess if I knew how to use it and it was all bundled up in a download it wouldn't really bother me running a launcher to enhance the game..especially if it opened up a bunch of extra cool featires.

The multiplayer option doesn't attract me much and I have no idea what else it does, but if it gives some nice features then sure.

This is one of the things I want it for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rT3_A8NyOs

Another is so I can correctly simulate arrows and other projectile damages.

EDIT:
The 1st one is more about immersion.

Sounds good especially the seventh demo with flaming arrows ( its a pain on the eye to shoot in night time ) and with the creative minds on this sub forum it can only be a good thing.

I would imagine it would need to be semi-integrated, if it's so powerful. Either that or just note which version you used (no guarantee that it'll be available later on though).

Otherwise if we had to get it separately, a new version might come out that messes up some (all) of the coding done on the old version (like why SoD doesn't incorporate the newer Diplomacy).

If you keep the copy of WSE that you are using and then package it as part of the downloads in a compressed folder ( I only say this because i can't remember if right now you only download a single install file.....) then that should not be an insurmountable issue

Well this is a description I found about WSE:

"WSE fixes some engine bugs, including one that causes very frequent crashes. It also log crash data, so that the ones still present might be reported and fixed easily. In addition to that, there are some integrated tools that you might find useful, like the memory optimizer."

So far I hear it can enable multiplayer, weather systems, flaming arrows and allow creative modders to add all sorts of features. Taking note of the risk of vulnerability to other modder's mistakes its probably best to either have a side version of the mod to work on with WSE or only begin including it once the final stages of this mod is complete.

Chezzlor said:
Taking note of the risk of vulnerability to other modder's mistakes its probably best to either have a side version of the mod to work on with WSE or only begin including it once the final stages of this mod is complete.
I totally agee with you Chezz.

Anyway SoD has quite a lot of powerful coding in it already, I'm sure Computica can handle more. ^___^ That said, you already have a lot you planned to do even before accessing the script extender's tools, so is this more of a long-term thing?

Using a different launcher isn't a really big hassle on the player side - dodging crossbow bolts might be  :roll:

The script enhancer is a work in progress as well, and I'd be concerned about it suddenly changing dramatically, or having a bug introduced via it that goes untreated.  It has the potential to help you with this mod- especially optimizations of the engine; perhaps this could help reduce the #1 annoyance with SoD (the map screen lag).  But you're going to be at the mercy of someone else's work, who may or may not continue supporting it, etc.

But I think you'd be better off to wait; I think it could help your mod, but you should round out your current development cycle for the mod first; have it doing everything you currently want it to do, complete in and of itself. 

Then, once you have a stable, non-WSE version, people would be able to enjoy the mod no matter what happens with the Script Enhancer; then you could proceed to develop SoD 5.00 (beta), taking advantage of new possibilities introduced by WSE.

Back
Top Bottom