(Vote included) New update and the caravan remains 30. And it was claimed it get supported

How do you think the caravan party size need to be changed?

• 0 - 30 is fine

Votes: 113 42.2%

Votes: 11 4.1%

Votes: 6 2.2%

Votes: 15 5.6%

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • 5 - it needs to be changed ASAP

Votes: 49 18.3%
  • Just get back to the original party size

Votes: 66 24.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I see that balancing work is being done, even if with ups and downs. But I have just 2c to add:
1. When creating caravan, inform the player that it's very risky in the time of war. So they're aware that it's a gamble.
2. Never push such changes into stable before testing it in beta. We're here ready to take the first wave of issues after all.

I again tested latest situation by forming 3 different caravans at game start. I give my character 3 caravan forming cost money by cheat and formed 3 caravans, one at Aserai town Quyaz, one at Sturgia town Omor and one at Khuzait town Chaikand. Only one is destroyed at day 15. After 10 days past from the day it is destroyed I formed another caravan from same town. In total I formed 4 caravans. The latest one I formed and two of first three caravans survived at the end of first year. They all bring me 114K, I payed about 30K for caravan wages. In total I ended year with 96K of money just doing nothing but waiting in a town (some money remained from initial money cheats thats why my end money is not fit perfectly). Also still I have 3 caravans running probably they will bring me another 100K until they are destroyed.

McumF.png

Of course situation can change in late game (where bandits are 3x powered) or if you have lots of enemies or if you executed lots of lords in Calradia and if bandits are overpopulated however I made another test this morning in late game (year 1093) too. Situation was not so different, a bit risky than this. Some players get used to earn much from caravans (1K daily for long years like 400 days in total 400K from one caravan) however these caravans are not supposed to feed your armies. These are side mechanics. If you do not like new numbers and risks you do not have to form them. They were so OP before after nerf they are still good, if you see no value you do not have to form them. If player swims in money game become not challanging. We are also aware of lord battles are so easy and give tons of loot they will be fixed too. Different people are responsible from different parts. We are not trying to make game so hard but it should be reasonable not so hard not so easy.

I know game has missing features, some perks are not working, there are less quests less diplomacy options, war peace mechanics are a bit basic currently. Here lots of people are working for a better game in weird world conditions and everybody has their own responsible areas. Any of us cannot fix problems out of our responsible areas. I am trying to make parts which I am responsible better. If you need other things to be fixed before balancing / trade issues you need to reach people responsible from these parts, they are all aware of problems and working hard too. I am here sharing developments with you and getting your ideas / feedbacks to create a better and balanced trade systems.

Any changed formula or game rule is not final point currently. We will collect datas watch gameplays and do needed adjustments in next patches if needed.

We know you want more micro management at parts you are spending time at game. All ideas will be evaluated. According to priority and time we will schedule and implement some of them.

Is it possible that there is a glitch from using a previous save and the changes in 1.01.00 once it went out of beta into live? I am new here but I really love your game.

I will agree money was a bit too easy. But From my experience the caravans do not even pay for themselves now. They get destroyed within days of me loading the new 1.01 patch. Try leveling your character up to level 20 then sim the caravans and see how they handle the large amount of stepp bandits running around with stacks of 20.

My suggestion is create 3 tiers of caravans.

Early cheap fast ones that can run from nearly any enemy but make very little, medium ones that can handle a few bandits but cost more, or heavy expensive ones that make the most and are nearly bandit proof but are slow enough enemy larger armies can hunt them down,.

Test done while player is member of Sturgia they were in war with Vlandia. You can send me your save file and I can do tests on that one too.

How can I send you a test file?

Personally, I sold my useless deadbeat workshops ages ago, and never even bothered with caravans. I now have close to 500k, and have probably spent another 500k on kitting out my character and companions. This is purely from battles, selling loot, and ransoming prisoners.

I see no reason to use workshops or caravans in their current incarnation, the money you spend on them can be better spent on your party and personal equipment.

But they already said they will nerf post battle loot in the same manner that they nerfed caravans.

Is it possible that there is a glitch from using a previous save and the changes in 1.01.00 once it went out of beta into live? I am new here but I really love your game.

I will agree money was a bit too easy. But From my experience the caravans do not even pay for themselves now. They get destroyed within days of me loading the new 1.01 patch. Try leveling your character up to level 20 then sim the caravans and see how they handle the large amount of stepp bandits running around with stacks of 20.

My suggestion is create 3 tiers of caravans.

Early cheap fast ones that can run from nearly any enemy but make very little, medium ones that can handle a few bandits but cost more, or heavy expensive ones that make the most and are nearly bandit proof but are slow enough enemy larger armies can hunt them down,.

You have the same problem as I do for the past two days, before I do a long-term test.
You used a saved game. Your caravans started to have 60-90. The soldiers flee, the party size decreased. But before it hits 30, the movement speed is greatly nerfed due to over-size. So vast majority of your caravans get destoryed within 2 weeks after your caravans size get to 40 where it is still over-size but not strong enough to defend themself.

But when your caravans survived or you started new one, it became more acceptable. But still the problem is the death rate varies. So a good suggestion for now is to no caravans or use mods.

You have the same problem as I do for the past two days, before I do a long-term test.
You used a saved game. Your caravans started to have 60-90. The soldiers flee, the party size decreased. But before it hits 30, the movement speed is greatly nerfed due to over-size. So vast majority of your caravans get destoryed within 2 weeks after your caravans size get to 40 where it is still over-size but not strong enough to defend themself.

But when your caravans survived or you started new one, it became more acceptable. But still the problem is the death rate varies. So a good suggestion for now is to no caravans or use mods.

But the AI is running around with 40 man caravans traveling upper 6's. I havent played 1.02 yet just 1.01 main branch but it seems like all the towns are broke and all the food and supplies are all greatly over priced and they never seem to transport food from city to city.

But the AI is running around with 40 man caravans traveling upper 6's. I havent played 1.02 yet just 1.01 main branch but it seems like all the towns are broke and all the food and supplies are all greatly over priced and they never seem to transport food from city to city.

The town broke problem have been fixed by the latest hotfix. Not sure the others.

why not allow the player to choose the caravan size? larger caravan = more costs, less risk and less profit.
It doesn't make much sense, the bigger the caravan = more goods it can carry, so more profit in the end. They should make it so when caravan starts its route you would pay X amount of your money to buy goods, more goods you buy more men you have. But if someone raids your caravan you would lose your investment. It would add interesting gameplay to caravan hunters, or for someone who likes to trade and it will add some more management.

The town broke problem have been fixed by the latest hotfix. Not sure the others.
Did they just poof more money into existence or did they actually fix the trade mechanics? I haven't gotten on since the hotfix. They fixed snow balling by poofing more troops into existence every time your release a lord and now I am forced to kill all my enemies to get anywhere. I liked it in the beginning where I think the AI actually had to recruit their own troops not just respawn with a stack and instantly attack my minor settlements.

Well, in my game, my caravans have already netted me at least 100k profits each, and not one is destroyed yet, alas, it's not even a full year on the save, but I think they're in a good position, and definitely worth an investment.
There's still the issue that I have a lot of money, and mostly spend it on raising my charm skill through bartering, but that's for another patch to address.

It doesn't make much sense, the bigger the caravan = more goods it can carry, so more profit in the end. They should make it so when caravan starts its route you would pay X amount of your money to buy goods, more goods you buy more men you have. But if someone raids your caravan you would lose your investment. It would add interesting gameplay to caravan hunters, or for someone who likes to trade and it will add some more management.
It doesn't make much sense to have caravans be stronger than 90% of the lords in the game, and besides, buying pack mules is enough for you to get more carrying capacity.

Did they just poof more money into existence or did they actually fix the trade mechanics? I haven't gotten on since the hotfix. They fixed snow balling by poofing more troops into existence every time your release a lord and now I am forced to kill all my enemies to get anywhere. I liked it in the beginning where I think the AI actually had to recruit their own troops not just respawn with a stack and instantly attack my minor settlements.
It's back to the way it used to be before the patch, except that caravans are smaller, and pottery is less profitable.

This is not meant as a complaint or request just an observation. In my latest game starting in beta and continuing to beta 1.2, I made caravans from the "spice dealer" wanderers, who have trade skill and claim to know caravans, and also generic wanderers with the honest trait. There was no noticeable difference in profits between the trade guys and the generics.
Again not a request, all money related things are a non-issue once you know how to curb stop the AI lords. But if they were going to change this stuff I'd prefer more beneficial and interesting changes like making trade skill count, not make badits keeeel caravans heh heh heh

But that is a pointless test to run. It has nothing to do with how the game progression works. You do not start with gold for 3 caravans nor the gold for the companions to run them. If you loose one you still make the money with the two other ones.

How long does it take to grind from 0 to 18k + companion gold in real game time?
Then you loose it before it has even made back the investment. Zero profit and zero progression. All that time grinding to 18k wasted and your progression to mid game when you can start taking castles set back by hours.
No one in their right mind would take that risk considering the real life hours it takes to get the gold to have one caravan only to loose it and having to disband your army as you can't afford it anymore and have to start the grind to 18k again.
I again tested latest situation by forming 3 different caravans at game start. I give my character 3 caravan forming cost money by cheat and formed 3 caravans, one at Aserai town Quyaz, one at Sturgia town Omor and one at Khuzait town Chaikand. Only one is destroyed at day 15. After 10 days past from the day it is destroyed I formed another caravan from same town. In total I formed 4 caravans. The latest one I formed and two of first three caravans survived at the end of first year. They all bring me 114K, I payed about 30K for caravan wages. In total I ended year with 96K of money just doing nothing but waiting in a town (some money remained from initial money cheats thats why my end money is not fit perfectly). Also still I have 3 caravans running probably they will bring me another 100K until they are destroyed.

McumF.png

Of course situation can change in late game (where bandits are 3x powered) or if you have lots of enemies or if you executed lots of lords in Calradia and if bandits are overpopulated however I made another test this morning in late game (year 1093) too. Situation was not so different, a bit risky than this. Some players get used to earn much from caravans (1K daily for long years like 400 days in total 400K from one caravan) however these caravans are not supposed to feed your armies. These are side mechanics. If you do not like new numbers and risks you do not have to form them. They were so OP before after nerf they are still good, if you see no value you do not have to form them. If player swims in money game become not challanging. We are also aware of lord battles are so easy and give tons of loot they will be fixed too. Different people are responsible from different parts. We are not trying to make game so hard but it should be reasonable not so hard not so easy.

I know game has missing features, some perks are not working, there are less quests less diplomacy options, war peace mechanics are a bit basic currently. Here lots of people are working for a better game in weird world conditions and everybody has their own responsible areas. Any of us cannot fix problems out of our responsible areas. I am trying to make parts which I am responsible better. If you need other things to be fixed before balancing / trade issues you need to reach people responsible from these parts, they are all aware of problems and working hard too. I am here sharing developments with you and getting your ideas / feedbacks to create a better and balanced trade systems.

Any changed formula or game rule is not final point currently. We will collect datas watch gameplays and do needed adjustments in next patches if needed.

We know you want more micro management at parts you are spending time at game. All ideas will be evaluated. According to priority and time we will schedule and implement some of them.
Exactly, you just poofed the money in. It takes about 12 tournament wins to fund a single caravan which will likely end with you losing money. Why bother with caravans and workshops now? You're better off just latching on to a kingdom, leeching battle loot with 5 other guys, and being a mercenary until tier 2, which takes out a very fun part of the early game in warband = freedom and exploring, sad when theres so many unique maps and beautiful scenes, you'll likely never see them at peace. Less ways to reliably make money = less ways to play to the game = less replay ability. Why be a merchant at all?
In warband, I hated mods that made it virtually impossible to be financially stable until you were a lord. I felt I was forced to constantly fight bandits and looters just to be able to afford daily wages. It turned the game into a grind. It wasn't fun, and its the opposite of where I want Bannerlord to go. Maybe give us more things to spend money on. Currently, in your example, 400k profit from one caravan could buy you a single tier 6 helmet from Battania if you could find it. I'm okay with riskier caravans if the reward is greater, but now its worse.

Then there will be no point in playing any more. The game will be a worse chore than Warband ever was, which seems like a strange direction to take.
+1 million

Please think before doing this. You hear "too much money" and just chop instead of surgeons knife. Its fun to make money -how about some really expensive Kingdom decisions that cost 500k Plus? Also, when i get captured i literally have to give all my money away last time was 130k -so use more of these balancing acts then just stripping the game of all monetary glory

McumF.png

You should consider making caravans bigger, but slower. Make them have 100-120 troops, but make their speed a lot slower. This makes them a good early game investment (as bandits are unlikely to plunder such large caravans), but in the late game, most lords can easily overpower a 120 troop caravan.

Realistically, anyone trucking a huge amount of goods isn't going to be moving at lightning speed anyway (even with pack animals, carrying all that weight is very taxing on animals), they'll be moving at a slower rate, but hire plenty of mercenaries to protect their baggage train.

I'd say you should put their speed around 3.5, and put their troops at 100+. Keep the 18-20k cost for hiring one. This also gives incentive for a trader player to remain independent of kingdom wars.

McumF.png

Ok so you cheated your self some money, and started three caravans under absolutely ideal conditions - start of the game so bandits are low, no wars. You had 12k left over. So after 84 days under ideal conditions you had made... 30k profit from three caravans. That's not even enough to buy a helmet. 120 profit per caravan per day, worse than a workshop but with added risk, and added annoyance of having to reform them all the time. And it ties of one of your companions that could be doing something else. I could make 30k from one transaction trading manually, this is such a small amount of money over 84 days it is just not worth the effort and risk.

And again this was under ideal conditions, with minimum bandit numbers. Literally impossible to do this in game without cheating.

Try again after a couple of years, with multiple wars, swarms of bandits everywhere, big looter parties.

They were so OP before after nerf
I really do not agree with this at all. They tie up one companion which means -80 army size for you. They can and will die when at war and there will be a long downtime until you can find time to reform them where they are not making any money. You can't defend them like you can defend a town with workshops in it. And then they only make about 1k per day which is nothing in this game, when a helmet costs 1 million. From the whole length of my game with 4 workshops, three caravans, four fiefs, and all the profits from battle, I finally saved up 1 million to buy the helmet. Entire life savings of a powerful lord just for one helmet. If I want to get the helmet for all my companions too that's another 7 million. 1k per day is not OP.

What is the difference between a party and a caravan? My companion can lead 80 men unless you give him a camel, now suddenly he can only lead 30? Makes no sense. And you left AI caravans with party size 50, so clearly you saw it as necessary. If caravans are "so OP", why not nerf AI caravans too? You don't believe your own words.

If you thought they were bringing in too much money, there are so many better ways to fix that.
  • Keep original party size but make them go slower. They were really fast to begin with, impossible for most lords to catch. They are supposed to be a big herd of pack animals right? So with a slower speed and bigger party they would get into more battles, but would survive most of them. They should be slightly bigger than big bandit parties, so bandits will still try their luck but are at a disadvantage. Only bad luck with string of battles in succession would kill them. Also moving slower would mean less profit because less trades per hour. Bigger party = more wages = slower movement = less profit = more battles.
  • Make the whole economy more stable, with less wild fluctuations. Sometimes I buy goods from a village, then go to the nearest town and sell them for double. Sometimes certain things are massively overpriced for no apparent reason. To fix this needs more trading, not less. Let the caravans carry and trade more items at once. They buy and sell 5 units of fish or 1 horse at a time. You don't need a herd of camels and guards to carry five fish. Make neutral merchants so trade doesn't dry up during wars. The more trade there is then there will be less difference in the prices and so less profit. Right now I can buy fur for 40 and sell for over 200. Or buy hardwood for 11 and sell for 45. Over 300% profit, caravans are not doing their job properly so there are big shortages/oversupply and huge profit margins. If trading was this lucrative there would be more people doing it until it was not lucrative anymore.
  • Just return less of the profits to the owner. Again I don't think they were OP to begin with but if the amount of income was the problem in your mind, then make it less, easy. You don't need to put this artificial cap on guards so that they die every five minutes, that is just annoying and obnoxious. At least let us reform them remotely if you insist on doing this.

There are probably a hundred other ways, these are just the first few that came to mind.

No businessman would invest in these defenceless caravans that die so easily to bandits. If bandits were a big threat then prices would rise until they were high enough that paying a huge army to protect your caravan was still profitable. Or taxes would fund bandit hunting parties. Or the caravaneers would pay protection money to the bandits. Or any of a million other things. You have reduced the value of human life to zero, as if people would throw their lives away on a super risky venture with very low payoff. Nobody is this stupid that they would fill 100 camels full of jewellery and beer, then go off into bandit infested mountains with only a handful of guards.

Ok so you cheated your self some money, and started three caravans under absolutely ideal conditions - start of the game so bandits are low, no wars. You had 12k left over. So after 84 days under ideal conditions you had made... 30k profit from three caravans. That's not even enough to buy a helmet. 120 profit per caravan per day, worse than a workshop but with added risk, and added annoyance of having to reform them all the time. And it ties of one of your companions that could be doing something else. I could make 30k from one transaction trading manually, this is such a small amount of money over 84 days it is just not worth the effort and risk.

And again this was under ideal conditions, with minimum bandit numbers. Literally impossible to do this in game without cheating.

Try again after a couple of years, with multiple wars, swarms of bandits everywhere, big looter parties.

I really do not agree with this at all. They tie up one companion which means -80 army size for you. They can and will die when at war and there will be a long downtime until you can find time to reform them where they are not making any money. You can't defend them like you can defend a town with workshops in it. And then they only make about 1k per day which is nothing in this game, when a helmet costs 1 million. From the whole length of my game with 4 workshops, three caravans, four fiefs, and all the profits from battle, I finally saved up 1 million to buy the helmet. Entire life savings of a powerful lord just for one helmet. If I want to get the helmet for all my companions too that's another 7 million. 1k per day is not OP.

What is the difference between a party and a caravan? My companion can lead 80 men unless you give him a camel, now suddenly he can only lead 30? Makes no sense. And you left AI caravans with party size 50, so clearly you saw it as necessary. If caravans are "so OP", why not nerf AI caravans too? You don't believe your own words.

If you thought they were bringing in too much money, there are so many better ways to fix that.
  • Keep original party size but make them go slower. They were really fast to begin with, impossible for most lords to catch. They are supposed to be a big herd of pack animals right? So with a slower speed and bigger party they would get into more battles, but would survive most of them. They should be slightly bigger than big bandit parties, so bandits will still try their luck but are at a disadvantage. Only bad luck with string of battles in succession would kill them. Also moving slower would mean less profit because less trades per hour. Bigger party = more wages = slower movement = less profit = more battles.
  • Make the whole economy more stable, with less wild fluctuations. Sometimes I buy goods from a village, then go to the nearest town and sell them for double. Sometimes certain things are massively overpriced for no apparent reason. To fix this needs more trading, not less. Let the caravans carry and trade more items at once. They buy and sell 5 units of fish or 1 horse at a time. You don't need a herd of camels and guards to carry five fish. Make neutral merchants so trade doesn't dry up during wars. The more trade there is then there will be less difference in the prices and so less profit. Right now I can buy fur for 40 and sell for over 200. Or buy hardwood for 11 and sell for 45. Over 300% profit, caravans are not doing their job properly so there are big shortages/oversupply and huge profit margins. If trading was this lucrative there would be more people doing it until it was not lucrative anymore.
  • Just return less of the profits to the owner. Again I don't think they were OP to begin with but if the amount of income was the problem in your mind, then make it less, easy. You don't need to put this artificial cap on guards so that they die every five minutes, that is just annoying and obnoxious. At least let us reform them remotely if you insist on doing this.

There are probably a hundred other ways, these are just the first few that came to mind.

No businessman would invest in these defenceless caravans that die so easily to bandits. If bandits were a big threat then prices would rise until they were high enough that paying a huge army to protect your caravan was still profitable. Or taxes would fund bandit hunting parties. Or the caravaneers would pay protection money to the bandits. Or any of a million other things. You have reduced the value of human life to zero, as if people would throw their lives away on a super risky venture with very low payoff. Nobody is this stupid that they would fill 100 camels full of jewellery and beer, then go off into bandit infested mountains with only a handful of guards.
absolutely this. we cant even permanently destroy bandit hideouts. entire regions are forever poor, and nobles are always leading armies because theres no truce system, influence is so plentiful it may as well not exist, and the player is the only one who can neuter bandits for a time.

There are players that want it easy and have large assets earlier in game, there are players that like the struggle in the first few years, and then there players in between. Just put in a damn slider for it already so everyone is happy?

Back
Top Bottom