Voice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bb

Sergeant at Arms
Well there be voip , playing 5v5 on commander modern would be a great deal if voice chat would be inter graded into the game

Bb said:
Well there be voip , playing 5v5 on commander modern would be a great deal if voice chat would be inter graded into the game
To my knowledge there has been no official statement on VOIP. Callum may have said something at some point through a comment/message however, I am unsure. Then again I don't remember everything, it's been quite a number of years.

Varadin said:
No i don't want PUBG and kids screaming.
Esc>Options>Audio>Voice Volume Slider. It wouldn't be hard to make that option since every game that has integrated VOIP has it.

I on the other hand would like to be able to communicate with both teammates and enemies through voice for the sake of convenience and entertainment value.

We're in 2019. and standard team/public channel VOIP in a Multiplayer game which plans on being serious in eSports is simply a must. Now, a proximity 3D voice channel would be amazing but sadly I have a feeling it won't fit into their schedule.

BNS Marko said:
We're in 2019. and standard team/public channel VOIP in a Multiplayer game which plans on being serious in eSports is simply a must. Now, a proximity 3D voice channel would be amazing but sadly I have a feeling it won't fit into their schedule.

VOIP is a must in competitive modes. VOIP & proximity chat in sieges would deteriorate my mental health.

To allow immersive communication, I think a number of recorded voice lines as in Holdfast are quite good. They contain useful commands as well as many other short expressions. Since the commands for your troops in singleplayer are now voiced, Bannerlord nearly has that already. You could use the same command menu to play the voice lines. Of course it can get confusing if everyone is trying to shout commands, but the same is true for VOIP. Pre-recorded voice lines would work well I think if a game mode had a designated commander for each team, or the players can quickly agree to one at the start of the round. 

I guess a team-voice chat could work pretty good. Make it like CS:GO or other games where you can just disable screamers.
VOIP could work in certain mods e.g Persistent World. It would improve role play etc.

Maybe a server-side config line which enables/disables it.

PUBG is a FPS - players often engage at long range and don’t have the chance to spam non-sense in proximity chat. Medieval engagements are all close quarter combat. The opportunity for spam is much greater.

Im going to derail this topic for a bit, but please bear with me. Is there any news regarding voice acting? I doubt I need to explain the positives of having a fully voiced game for the dialogue, so anyone willing to explain why we still only have grunts and short one liners for dialogue?

Attembourgh said:
Im going to derail this topic for a bit, but please bear with me. Is there any news regarding voice acting? I doubt I need to explain the positives of having a fully voiced game for the dialogue, so anyone willing to explain why we still only have grunts and short one liners for dialogue?

No voice acting beyond grunts, chants and commands. My guess as to the why:

1) Bannerlord’s spirit dwells in its openness for players to set out and create their own adventures - whatever that may be and how they see it. Similar to how a book reader creates his/her own voice for characters, Bannerlord let’s players imagine how NPC’s would act and sound in their own mind. This point is key for a good RPG experience.
2) Great voice acting adds immensely to gameplay but mediocre/poor voice acting detracts from gameplay and role playing. If it’s not done to perfection I think it’s better left to each player’s imagination.
3) Large amount of time, effort and cash required to hire quality voice actors.
4) The scale of Bannerlord would require a rather sizeable number of voice actors to again ensure quality and variety.

We also thought about it. But it seems to me that the voice itself can bring unrest in the midst of battle. The voice is good for Role Play projects where there are rules. For a simple battle, it will be inadequate.

BayBear said:
Attembourgh said:

No voice acting beyond grunts, chants and commands. My guess as to the why:

1) Bannerlord’s spirit dwells in its openness for players to set out and create their own adventures - whatever that may be and how they see it. Similar to how a book reader creates his/her own voice for characters, Bannerlord let’s players imagine how NPC’s would act and sound in their own mind. This point is key for a good RPG experience.
2) Great voice acting adds immensely to gameplay but mediocre/poor voice acting detracts from gameplay and role playing. If it’s not done to perfection I think it’s better left to each player’s imagination.
3) Large amount of time, effort and cash required to hire quality voice actors.
4) The scale of Bannerlord would require a rather sizeable number of voice actors to again ensure quality and variety.

There are some confusing contradictions in your answers

1: Its going to be extremely hard to imagine your own voice when the NPC you talk to grunts. In fact, in the recent Gamescom streams they even talk to you saying lines like "Who are you", but then mute themselves if spoken further. This makes no sense at all.

2: This is absolutely not an excuse to skimp on voice acting. Bethesda during their golden years in 2012 was able to produce 60,000 lines for Skyrim, at times using one voice actor to voice multiple characters.

3: See 2

4: See 2

There seems to be more than just occasional grunts and commands. It's old, but from way back in Gamescom 2015, you can hear some voice acting in this video @ 1:43

It's... not that great. To be honest it's almost laughably bad, at least from the second NPC. It was probably just test/placeholder voices, being B-roll. Voices in more recent videos sound better. You'll find some examples from Gamescom 2018 footage.

Part of me hopes for more and better voice acting, it can be a big initial point of praise or criticism. Ultimately though it's not a deal-breaker if lacking, I don't care too much. Of course there are many games that wouldn't be the same without their great VA (Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, MGS, VTM: Bloodlines) but they're from big studios and publishers that can easily afford it. Not that TaleWorlds is exactly just two indie devs anymore, they couldn't have gotten this far without considerable finances, but they're not EA or even Bethesda level in terms of money.

To stay on topic, if there's voice chat it's hopefully well implemented. So you can easily configure it, mute players or just work with voice lines if you choose to.

Attembourgh said:
[...] Bethesda during their golden years in 2012 was able to produce 60,000 lines for Skyrim, at times using one voice actor to voice multiple characters.

Not just at times, Skyrim had that a lot, and I think it was quite noticeable.

Now think about how many characters there will be in Bannerlord. Some three or four notables per village, maybe five in towns. Add to that all the lords, their relatives, companions, civilians in the streets. That is many hundreds of characters. If you did voice acting for all of them, with the amount of voice actors Skyrim had, you'd meet dozens of people who sound the same. In addition to which, in Bannerlord's sandbox they might also have identical dialogues if they are the same type of character, which would make it extra glaring.

It would be possible to voice only some characters, but I wouldn't like that either. It would be inconsistent to hear the voice of some people when talking to them, but not that of others, and might feel as if the game pre-selected which characters are important and which aren't. That, I believe, goes against the idea of the sandbox and is detrimental to free roleplaying.

Absolutely. Voice communication is an incredible tool when utilized properly. Having only text chat in Warband is quite limiting. However I do have some caveats.

Have the ability for people to turn off voice chat, so if they rather not hear other people, they can do that. Also have that the ability to mute others as an individual player and if an Admin is around, to mute them for everybody. This should help prevent annoying spam.

Ideally, the bulk of voice chat would be local. With captains mode having it be without a maximum range would be fine, but it would be nice to have local voice chat in other modes. Again, this prevents unnecessary spam.

If chat is local, consider having it be an All Chat. As in, both teams can hear it. Yeah this enables some toxicity but it can also be really funny.

3D proximity would be great for the mods where people need to work together.  cRPG has a lot of voice commands, but you gotta hit 3 or 4 keys in the right order to say what you want.  It's sad to see a guy get axed in the back of the head because you couldn't remember the combo for "Incoming Infantry from Behind".

Plus our organized battles generally need team work.  On Discord or TS there tends to be too much chatter as the Commander tries to give orders while an infantry is trying to tell the crossbowman where the enemy archer is and the infantry is trying to warn each other about the cav that got bhind them and some guy is talking about how great his weekend was.  Local chat would be very nice.

I've only played a few games with 3d proximity voip, and never had any problems with yahoos.  Of course, you can't hear your enemy talk.  But even that wouldn't be too bad really.  You can always mute the trolls.

I think VOIP will be necessary in order for people to have a good experience playing the small-team modes like skirmish and captain battle with randoms. Large scale modes could just have it be proximity-based. I don't think Taleworlds has said anything definite on the matter yet, but it is mentioned at least in this blog https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1467475350089304347. In 2017, when they showcased captain mode at Gamescom, there was no evidence of VOIP in either the sound options or the controls. In this video you can see that the keys for general and team text chat are still the same, but no VOIP toggle, although it's possible it just hadn't been implemented yet.

Back
Top Bottom