SP - General Vlandia Needs More Troops and Variation

Users who are viewing this thread

Vlandia is the most neglected faction in the game. They have the least troops, variety, maps, and updates. They only have spears and shields and crossbows. Its pitiful how little love they get. I see more love for Battania than Vlandia.

Vlandia needs the following troops added

-Longbow Recruit (low quality longbow, low quality light armor, fast movement and somewhat decent accuracy)
-Longbow Veteran (better longbow, higher quality armor, slower movement but better accuracy)
-2 Handed Sergeant (they're tankish looking unit so a new one with a two handed sword would be ideal, after all Sutriga gets one)
-Sergeant needs to have his dinky mace replaced with an actual decent sized sword (maces and axes are the most useless weapons in M$B)
-Lighter variation of cavalry for scouting/cannon fodder
-New variation of the spearman to offer a lighter version
-Crossbow cavalry (they're based on England right? They had them, English weren't all spears and shields)

Here's a good source of unit variety from one of the best strategy games: https://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Units_in_Medieval_II:_Total_War.html#England

Nope they're based on early normandy they are also the predecessors to swadia and the rhodoks 2 factions who inherently use crossbowmen and not longbows so that does not make sense and again no this is not england and no they are not neglected its just you dont like they're units

Last edited:
Disagree on almost everything you say.

Vlandia's troop roster has just as many as any other faction in the game (15 common, 5 nobles). If anything, the Imperials the only one with less troops. Vlandia could use with some more fun crossbows, but they have plenty of their own weapons. Swords, axes, maces spears, lances, bills and voulges and all that.

And even if they had less troops, I don't the sounds of your unit ideas. Let's go through each:
- No to either one of your longbow ideas. Like @Itisausername said, they're the ancestors of the Swadians and Rhodoks, factions known for their preference of the crossbow as opposed to bows. Longbows do no make any sense at all. If you want them so bad, go recruit Brotherhood of the Woods or something.
- Vlandia already has its own two handed shock trooper styled infantry in the Voulgier. Your hypothetical sword sergeant would suck ass compared to them, considering their lack of reach or throwing weapons. And two handed swords just aren't particularly good either.
- The mace on the sergeant makes them really punch above their weight in melee. If they lost their maces, they're just going to suck compared to everything else. There's not much of anything going for them as they are. If anything, maces and axes are very good weapons lol.
- The only good idea you have. Vlandia could use with a better cavalry progression. As they are, they don't have enough cavalry to feel like a proper 'cavalry' faction.
- There's literally no point to a light spearman. A spearman's job to hold the line against cavalry- making them light would make them absolutely suck. Lower tier spearmen are your light spearmen.
- That would make for a highly inefficient unit in this game, considering you can't load crossbows. Didn't stop me from trying...

Feel free to look at the mod in my signature for my own idea of what Vlandia could be. I even have ideas like two handers on Vlandian sergeants, if that tickles your fancy.

Strongly disagree. One of the biggest problems with Bannerlord's faction troop trees right now is that all the factions feel too similar to play as. Your suggestions would make that problem worse.

"More variation" isn't necessarily a good thing. If every faction can have every type of unit in their army, and can all do the same things, then they are not different in playstyle at all. In other words, too much variety in a troop tree kills the variety between factions. Variation should only be added to a troop tree if it doesn't take away the weaknesses and strengths of that faction.

Vlandia's troop tree right now is actually pretty good because it has a unique specialty (melee cavalry) and a unique weakness (ranged cavalry), and a focus on the crossbow instead of the normal bows pretty much everyone else gets.

Your proposed changes would reduce the importance of their specialty, would remove their unique ranged cavalry weakness, would make crossbows more uncommon on the battlefield than they already are relative to bows, and would just generally bloat their troop tree.

As an aside, crossbow cavalry wasn't a thing in the 1000s time period Bannerlord is based on, and two-handed swords weren't common until the arrival of plate armor, so there isn't a real life basis for either of those.

Last edited:
Nope they're based on early normandy they are also the predecessors to swadia and rge rhodoks 2 factions who inherently use crossbowmen and not longbiws so that does not make sense and again no this is not england and no they are not neglected its just yoi dont like they're units

I agree - they should be a crossbow centric faction.

What I would like to see are more powerful crossbow units, maybe a noble crossbow as powerful as the Battanian Fian Champion only with a crossbow.

I do agree with mounted crossbow and would like to see the game changed so that crossbows can be loaded on horseback (mounted crossbow were used historically in Europe and by the Song dynasty in China).

Another option might be a repeating Crossbow (faster rate of fire, but weaker individual shots, making them good against large numbers of tier 1-2 units).

Again, dunno if you care for mods but I've tried something interesting. Crossbow Dragoon troops and noble crossbowmen are features of the mod.

Think they have nice rooster so idk....Maces and axes arent useless though.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but Vlandia is one of the strongest factions in the game. They should not have bows it makes them different we need factions to play different otherwise wtf is the point to having different factions? The only change I would suggest is give the pikeman a small shield because that unit is inferior to Voulgier in almost every way except the helmet and serves almost no purpose.

If the OP thinks maces and axes are useless he needs to use them more. Maces are very powerful and axes are incredible against opponents who won't drop their shields.

Edit: I'd love to see a mounted crossbow unit with a light crossbow and only medium to light armor and a sword with no shield.

Last edited:
The only change I would suggest is give the pikeman a small shield because that unit is inferior to Voulgier in almost every way except the helmet and serves almost no purpose.
I think Pikemen are quite good in combination with Voulgiers. Pikemen do the stopping and Voulgiers do the dropping. I think they're great when used as auxiliary units. Pepper a few into the shield wall and they will raise its effectiveness, even if the after battle report doesn't show them getting lots of kills. I think the problem with Spearman is that people want to see full on pike phalanxes, but I don't think that's meant to be in this game.

I think Pikemen are quite good in combination with Voulgiers. Pikemen do the stopping and Voulgiers do the dropping. I think they're great when used as auxiliary units. Pepper a few into the shield wall and they will raise its effectiveness, even if the after battle report doesn't show them getting lots of kills. I think the problem with Spearman is that people want to see full on pike phalanxes, but I don't think that's meant to be in this game.
If the pikemen had actual pikes I'd agree that they would be useful but maybe I'm not using them properly. I want to put those kinds of units into group 5 but because the spawn of them in villages and hideouts is still an issue I just don't so they tend to be the first ones to go down.

(mounted crossbow were used historically in Europe)
In the 1000s when Bannerlord is based on, only little hunting crossbows could be used on horseback, as the technology to reload larger war crossbows had not yet been invented. Crossbow cavalry were not a thing in the armies of the Normans or Carolingian Franks to my knowledge.

In the 1000s when Bannerlord is based on, only little hunting crossbows could be used on horseback, as the technology to reload larger war crossbows had not yet been invented. Crossbow cavalry were not a thing in the armies of the Normans or Carolingian Franks to my knowledge.
Honestly I don't care about history. I want factions to feel different and this would definitely be different kind of unit there is a lot of overlap in Vlandia's troop tree so a bit more variety in troops for that faction would be greatly appreciated.

If the pikemen had actual pikes I'd agree that they would be useful but maybe I'm not using them properly. I want to put those kinds of units into group 5 but because the spawn of them in villages and hideouts is still an issue I just don't so they tend to be the first ones to go down.

I still want to see how the pikes are when brace mechanics are introduced.

Honestly I don't care about history. I want factions to feel different
Then you still shouldn't be giving Vlandia crossbow cavalry, because currently Vlandia is the ONLY faction who doesn't have some kind of mounted ranged unit. If you give them one you're just removing their defining weakness, making them less unique and more generic.

I don't know where my Mounted Marksmen in my mod sit with you guys. They're designed to be crossbowmen who get around the field on horse, then dismount and shoot. They're a gimmicky concept and the fidgety nature of the AI can make more trouble than they're worth...

Vlandia is the most neglected faction in the game. They have the least troops, variety, maps, and updates. They only have spears and shields and crossbows. Its pitiful how little love they get. I see more love for Battania than Vlandia.

Vlandia needs the following troops added

-Longbow Recruit (low quality longbow, low quality light armor, fast movement and somewhat decent accuracy)
-Longbow Veteran (better longbow, higher quality armor, slower movement but better accuracy)
-2 Handed Sergeant (they're tankish looking unit so a new one with a two handed sword would be ideal, after all Sutriga gets one)
-Sergeant needs to have his dinky mace replaced with an actual decent sized sword (maces and axes are the most useless weapons in M$B)
-Lighter variation of cavalry for scouting/cannon fodder
-New variation of the spearman to offer a lighter version
-Crossbow cavalry (they're based on England right? They had them, English weren't all spears and shields)

Here's a good source of unit variety from one of the best strategy games: https://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Units_in_Medieval_II:_Total_War.html#England
That one I think could be done by making their scouts maybe have a throwing spear.

Back
Top Bottom