Visual difference of Swadians and Vaegirs towns.

Do you think that towns of Swadians and Vaegirs should differ visually?

• Yes, I think so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it isn’t pleasant to me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

JetJedi

Sergeant at Arms
As you know, in version 0.730 have appeared 3D "town squares". It is very good, but...

Firstly I didn’t pay attention that cities are executed in identical style. But then I have seen one thing: Christian church in Vaegirs town...

Wait a minute, it just cannot be! Swadians and Vaegirs not only enemies, they concern to different races. Swadians more western, similar to Europeans; Vaegirs more east, similar to Mongols. Their towns should differ. And I think that Vaegirs cannot have a church, the mosque here is most probable.

So if making cities various, current style very much approaches to Swadians. But what style should be at Vaegirs? I think that there should be something in the Mongolian style, more wooden. Except for visual distinction it is possible to enter trading: in cities of Vaegirs you cannot buy great lance, bustard sword, sword of war, great hammer; in cities of Swadians: spear, nomad bow, scimitar, nomad sable.

Problem that Mongols did not build defensive constructions, such as fortresses. It was nomadic people. Their buildings was basically from a wood (and certainly national tent from skins of animals). Therefore cleanly Mongolian style does not approach. But then what? Were people similar to Mongols but building fortresses? Maybe to make half historical style, as in "Age of Empires": Mongols with fortresses?

If you like idea about visual difference of Swadians and Vaegirs, write here the offers on style of Vaegirs. What prototype should be taken for a basis.

The impression I got from the Vegeirs where more that of vikings than "mongols". No matter what their "real life" influence was though as they do give a more "wooden" feeling than the Swadians.
Anyway, my suggestion for buildings are...

Vegeir City:
Bigger map area but with lower houses and tents.
Wooden palisades that has been reinforced. One around the whole city and a smaller one around the main Keep.
Houses are primarely that of the viking longhouses and/or the nomad tents of the mongols.
The Castle/Keep should be the late medeival type that is amongst other found in "Glimminge Hus" in sweden.
Desc: A rectangular large stone house more or less that has been very strenghtened. That type of keep was mainly used by small garrisns to hold of a larger force untill reinforcements could relieve them.

Swadian City:
Like current patch =)

Well, the mongols did have fortresses later, though by then they were not the mongols we think of now but some offshoot. They basically took over the roman empire.

I think of Vaegirs as being influenced by the vikings who went into Russia, so small longhouses mixed in with a few domed buildings for the important stuff would be good.

The problem with that is what happens when a town is taken over? (assuming its implemented).

Do the population reconstruct the town overnight?

I think differentiation should occur through other methods. Keep the architecture roughly the same, but alter the smaller details.

For example, have all the Swadian merchants trade from shops, while the Vaegirs keep the street traders.
Alter the clothes of the NPC's a bit more to reflect the differences. Vaegir citizens should be wearing furs and leathers, while the Swadians prefer suits and similar.
Alter the signs that hang outside of the inns and similar.
Different furnishings. Tapestries and portraits for Swadians, Furs and axes for the Vaegirs.

THe vaegirs aren't mongol at all. That's the khergits. The vaegirs I see as a mix of Scottish, English and Scandinavian. THe Swadians are a mix of French, German and English.

Aryndil said:
Yes, good one! The Swedish vikings who founded Novgorod, and with it the Russian empire!
And the the Golden Horde influence too. They do tend to have some more of the nomad cap style stuff, so post-Horde Novgorodi (if that makes any sense at all)

Edit: Actually, I forgot about boyars, who would use a nomad cap-type thing. What was said above works for me

Boyars? It's a joke? Boyars took leading place after grand duke in the government. Traditional Russian (too bearded, he-he) politicians. How you think it looks in nomad dressing? *lol*

boyare6oa.jpg

Since I fail at inserting pictures google Glimminge Hus and search for pictures. You will have a few goo ones coming up even though they don´t do the building justice.

So, many of people see Vaegirs as a mix of vikings and Mongols. I think it can be good. But how Scandinavian defensive constructions looks? And how the scheme of the Scandinavian settlements looks?

I think that for Vaegirs the scheme of the Mongolian settlement will approach (a)camp; b)town):

town5fv.jpg

the main building in the center and set of low wooden buildings on a circle.

But what about defensive designs? I think that it’s necessary to replace stone walls with a wooden palisade. It will be extremely cool.

Guys, what you think about it? And certainly I wait for YOUR offers. *wink*

If you take the view that Vaegir and Swadia are neighbouring countries who have invaded Calradia (as I do - until I'm proven wrong!), then all the towns were actually Calradian when they were built and should have similar architectures.

Of course, if you take the view that the Vaegir and Swadia are parts of Calradia (which most people on these forums seem to do) then architectural differences would indeed be more appropriate.

John

I would prefer to use the KISS principle. Put in some banners and devices that are exchanged when the city or fortress changes owner.
I don't know the backstory of the battle between Vaegirs and Swadians but given that especially cities usually have a mixture of many cultures and have grown over a long time their looks are not dependant on the current owner.

Ofcourse they are different part of Calradia...
If Swadian and Veigeir were invading countries where did the Calradians go?
Were they wiped out in an all out ethnical cleansing?
Are they the Dark Knights?
Are they the nomadic Khergits?

That would explain both groups bad temper and suicidal attacks even when I outnumber them 3 to 1.

And stretching it even further. If they are indeed one of the above I would like to see a small settlement belonging to said groups so I could join up in the fight for freedom as I tend to enjoy helping the underdog.

john259 said:
If you take the view that Vaegir and Swadia are neighbouring countries who have invaded Calradia John

Also you can tell that all cities have been constructed by Swadians, and Vaegirs just have won part from them. But it’s very simple way, not for armagan. *lol*

I think that opposition of the different nations, opposition of different cultures and traditions, just opposition of any distinctions - the most interesting part of any game.

P.S. 268 views and only 24 votes…

If you really wish to change (or not) something then VOTE for it.

If we could make a "village" for armagan to view complete he could perhaps be persuaded into letting it model in a coming patch as one of the current Vegeir cities and let people decide what should be implemented.
Not bloody likely though =)

new pic in style:

palisadecopy7ed.jpg

I'll try to get the others, but some of them (the best, with a detailed lay-out) not for free... *very sad*

bryce777 said:
Well, the mongols did have fortresses later, though by then they were not the mongols we think of now but some offshoot. They basically took over the roman empire.
The Mongols had little to do with the Roman Empire. The western Roman Empire was gradually overrun by Germanic tribes during the Dark Ages (and replaced with the Carolingian Empire), while the eastern Roman Empire (Byzantium/Constantinople) was crippled by the Seljuk Turks and the Fourth Crusade (and ultimately replaced with the Ottoman Empire). The Mongols struck against Russia (Kievan Rus'), Poland, and Hungary, and the Middle East before settling down to rule their khanates.

Back
Top Bottom