Village improvements don't increase food input

Users who are viewing this thread

RWinnie

Recruit
I own a castle, and have gone to great lengths to improve the quality of life for its residents. I've completed all the improvements, and my prosperity has been slowly rising. Anticipating food shortages as my population grows (and to prepare for inevitable sieges), I have made irrigation my castle's recurring activity. The number of hearths in my villages has since tripled, from 400 to over 1200. Their militia has also grown relative to their size. But their food output remains constant. My castle population has grown now, as well, and now the prosperity is taking up so much food that I have nobody in the garrison and I'm still losing food by the day.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug/unimplemented feature. Just to repeat, this is a castle, not a town. There's no way to bring in food other than from the villages.

I believe food production per village is capped at a certain hearth count - I think at 600 hearths? As in, even if the hearths increase beyond the cap, food production remains limited.

In general, as prosperity maxes, food production maxes, etc., and no food supply disruptions over time, we should expect a back and forth equilibrium / plateau to settle - a little up and down, but mostly flat.

The problem, of course, is the garrison. My understanding is that TW is working on a solution for garrison starvation.

That seems like a weirdly arbitrary limitation. But I suppose it keeps the more remote castles and towns from growing into impenetrable fortresses.

That seems like a weirdly arbitrary limitation. But I suppose it keeps the more remote castles and towns from growing into impenetrable fortresses.
Food is only one part of garrison growth limitations, though - you have both the barrack capacity and troop upkeep (wage expenses) to use for balancing any potential issue like that.

Villages in Bannerlord, as far as I'm concerned, are an example of a hideously lazy implementation - one that actually makes expansion of other game elements all that much difficult. Can't trade a village fief as part of peace treaty proceedings, as an example, or offer one to a lord you want to flip allegiance of as part of the bribe. Can't rely on their development to support increasing your town's prosperity, either, especially since it takes one day away from your fief for some rando-enemy-lord to completely destroy their prosperity. AND you don't get any way to speed up recovery process in any way right now. Which is a real "WTF" situation when your character is swimming in millions in local currency, but the game doesn't allow you to throw money at the village to make it quickly recover from raiding, or simply improve in own prosperity.

Apparently the concept of owning lord investing in their village fief is something that completely eluded Bannerlord design team. But hey, we can click that pretty button in castle/town build queue to have some completely bland and indifferent in mechanical effect "repeatable project" increase number of hearths in an utterly abstract way. Hooray /s

Can't even build the handful of basic upgrades we had in Warband right now, either. And to what benefit?

I hate the way they got treated, and don't expect it to change anymore. Such a cop-out.

Last edited:
Starvation: The Game.

Food as currently implemented is just irritating. It can totally screw up your game and there is nothing you can do to fix it. There isn't any way to manage or help your fiefs. You can build all the projects, but in the end, there will be starvation as nothing you do makes a damn bit of difference.

This is frustrating, hopefully on the list for a patch. I've seen the same things mentioned above.

This is frustrating, hopefully on the list for a patch. I've seen the same things mentioned above.
I agree this is so frustrating but if you are willing to give mods a chance. Download Improved garrison mod, go into config file and enable food delivery. You can then give any or all of your towns so much food per day and solves the problem.

So just took a look at this again. I didn't have my village's hearths upgraded enough. I am seeing movement in the # of hearths and this is helping.

I have to say this is a very good game. I'm hooked, usually I play Paradox or Total War type of strategy games. I'm really liking this one, still haven't looked at mods yet.

That sounds like a good mod, I'm usually loaded with horses & food, end up getting influences during sieges as I end up feeding the rest of the army.

I am really looking forward to any village mods coming out to free them up and turn them into a viable mechanic in the game. Even Warband levels of involvement would be a huge upgrade. I loved getting my own little village and protecting it and upgrading it to prove what a good lord I could be before I was given a castle and it would help the smaller clans with money.

Actually, it would be great if the unique clan soldiers could only be recruited from clan specific villages owned by the clan.

It's been improved a lot by the garden and orchards upgrades and a reduction in garrison desertion, but it still is an issue and some towns, because of location )or something) will always have problems and so you just can't use their garrison. They need to put in a upgrade or option to choose to just feed garrison first and lose prosperity and relations. I mean **** em. I don't need their money, I need a place to pile my dudes and secondly for the AI not to have it.

It's been improved a lot by the garden and orchards upgrades and a reduction in garrison desertion, but it still is an issue and some towns, because of location )or something) will always have problems and so you just can't use their garrison. They need to put in a upgrade or option to choose to just feed garrison first and lose prosperity and relations. I mean **** em. I don't need their money, I need a place to pile my dudes and secondly for the AI not to have it.

It is fixed as of 1.4.1. I can keep 400+ dudes in Akkalat as garrison without starvation at all and that place is basically the worst town of Calradia. They won't even start starving if one of the villages is raided, just because its typical prosperity is so low (~1200). So if you don't need the town for income, feel free to never do quests and allow your prosperity to tank. If you get the prosperity particularly low, you can maintain a decent-sized garrison that can never be starved out.

Last edited:
It is fixed as of 1.4.1. I can keep 400+ dudes in Akkalat as garrison without starvation at all and that place is basically the worst town of Calradia. They won't even start starving if one of the villages is raided, just because its typical prosperity is so low (~1200). So if you don't need the town for income, feel free to never do quests and allow your prosperity to tank. If you get the prosperity particularly low, you can maintain a decent-sized garrison that can never be starved out.
Some towns, for some reason, such a lagata for me in 1.4.2, gain such a prosperity that they can never satisfy their food needs, even with all upgrades.
I don't know the technical details of why but it's a persistent problem for me and I've seen others mention lagata too. I think they just get too much carvan trips. I'm sure there's some idea of how it should balance it'self out.... but it doesn't ever in my game so I just don't garrison there.

It's improved but I wouldn't dare call it fixed. It's a bad mechanic IMO and needs a hard option to preserve garrison at the expense of other attributes of the town or castle.

One might suspect that higher prosperity would mean MORE ability to feed the inhabitants plus a garrison, not less. The whole mechanism as designed is just wrong.

One might suspect that higher prosperity would mean MORE ability to feed the inhabitants plus a garrison, not less. The whole mechanism as designed is just wrong.
Prosperity is a bit of a proxy for total population though, so it stands to reason that a town with higher prosperity (i.e. population) would eat more food. Towns actually buy food from the marketplace daily in order to feed the residents, and the amount they buy scales with prosperity, but if there's no food in the market then they will have a shortage and begin to starve. It's the villages that mostly supply the food sources (plus caravans), and they do produce more food as hearths grow, but only up to a point (600 hearths). There's no cap on prosperity though, so eventually a town will outstrip its villages' ability to feed it and will starve. That's where the problem rests with the mechanic, but generally it takes awhile for that to happen. Legacy saves will have more issues with this because prosperity grew really fast in older patches.

I don't really think the game properly communicates this information to be honest.

That might be for the best to prevent confusion, although I don't think prosperity is 100% interchangable with population. To me, it's more akin to Population + Wealth = Prosperity. More descriptive tooltips might also help.

Oh, no argument from me there. But people will intuitively understand why a high population city starves more readily than one with low population.

Also, we should probably have some method of capping our own prosperity gains, since what @AnandaShanti mentioned, a city so wildly prosperous that it can't be reliably garrisoned, can still happen. I went looking around my own playthrough's cities and while Lageta was not particularly well-off (~3500), there were a few like Sanala, Chaikhand, etc. that were up over 7500 prosperity, which is where things start to get wonky.

Also, we should probably have some method of capping our own prosperity gains
Oh, definitely. That or a self limiting mechanism that will cause prosperity to plateau before the food supply is outgrown. We had that 10+ page thread with mexxico involved a while back (I think you were there too) where everyone kind of came to agreement that this was the last big remaining issue with the prosperity system. It seems to have been put on ice for now though, since it's not such an immediate problem anymore.

Back
Top Bottom