Vikingr: Version Numbers & Desura [Community Input Needed]

Users who are viewing this thread

Turanien

Hail!

To keep this brief, Warband and Mount & Blade recently went live on the Desura Network. Basically; it's a huge network for companies, developers and games to publish content at the ease of the consumer. We have shifted Vikingr onto the Desura network for testing purposes and, so far, it's pretty sweet.

There are positives and [a few] negatives to running this system.

Positives

With the client installed, you don't have to do anything to the mod bar press the 'Update' button. When we release an update, the mod is updated on the network and you download it without any effort whatsoever. The mod handles all extraction to your Warband folder.

Makes it piss-easy for us to distribute the mod.

A fine way for promotion and marketing.

Negatives

Some may be unwilling to install another piece of software just to manage things [like the whole Steam issue]

Folder name has to stay consistent for Desura to work. This will mean no more renaming of folders to Vikingr 0.101012 or Vikingr 0.717172 ... It does mean that people may inadvertantly connect to the server with the wrong version. However I am sure Davee can sort something out with this ala spam-the-screen-if-client-does-not-match-server.  :razz:

Personally, I think this may be a great way to turn things over. We can run Vikingr through Desura and continue to publish patch files via the regular .zip method on the forum. Now, I leave this to the rest of you to discuss. Yay oder nay?

Yay! You already have the MODDB page which works so much better with Desura, those who are technically challenged can install a simple piece of software that works very similar to Steam and update the game that way and those who don't want to use it can still easily use a rar file. We discussed this in TS but I still had to pop along and get the conversation rolling.

FrisianDude said:
Eh. I'm not giddy with glee, that's for sure. I'd like it if you simply kept normal downloads available. :razz:

We can run Vikingr through Desura and continue to publish patch files via the regular .zip method on the forum.

It would be still possible to have a copy of the module in another folder, for testing purposes, right?

Does Desura notify the player if a new version is out?
This would allow to release smaller bugfix-patches without requiring people to check forums every day. People who decide to abstain from Desura would be notified by pam-the-screen-if-client-does-not-match-server something like that  :wink:

Anyway, definitley yay.
Sure, its another piece of software, but i think there is plenty high value stuff (also free, partly) to be found there. At least this is the case with moddb... once or twice a year i search for interesting stuff there, and i find way more than i can possible play :grin:

Turanien said:
We can run Vikingr through Desura and continue to publish patch files via the regular .zip method on the forum.

As I'm not a fan of installing more then nessecary I don't really care for this Desura. Maybe it might be easier for people but I'm not sure, the full installers are already quite easy.
Personally I'm completely fine with .zips. So neither yay nor nay for me.

Mammoet said:
the full installers are already quite easy.
Not for the publishers :wink:

Downloading Desura now... maybe i'll give you some first impressions form the user perspective, later

You wont make me install anything on my computer! Spies, spies everywhere! Watching!

I hope ordinary downloads will be still avaliabe.  :???:

STARik said:
You wont make me install anything on my computer! Spies, spies everywhere! Watching!

Eirikur on first post : We can run Vikingr through Desura and continue to publish patch files via the regular .zip method on the forum.

Does anyone read an entire post anymore? :razz:

HarkonHakoon said:
STARik said:

Eirikur on first post : We can run Vikingr through Desura and continue to publish patch files via the regular .zip method on the forum.

Does anyone read an entire post anymore? :razz:

I see strange words and start to panic, to text recognition after that.

I like the idea. It allows you to add little mini-updates that don't necessarily warrant a full upgrade (like if I made a few more hood designs, for example.

I support the concept if it can bring more vikings (mod promotion) but I won't personaly use it.
images

I do not like that idea at all for my personal use.

If a second way like the way its done right now is still avaible I will apreaciate and prefer it.

You surely dont want to depend solely on a third party with your patching progress with an indie team, what works well for EA on steam, doesnt work well for Paradox on steam.

Amon said:

If a second way like the way its done right now is still avaible I will apreaciate and prefer it.

You surely dont want to depend solely on a third party with your patching progress with an indie team, what works well for EA on steam, doesnt work well for Paradox on steam.
Turanien said:

Again, ONE MUST READ FULL POSTS! :grin:
Impetuous german!

HarkonHakoon said:
Amon said:

Turanien said:

Again, ONE MUST READ FULL POSTS! :grin:
Impetuous german!

How can you ask it from people when Turanien has that heretic avatar. Reading gets one's eyes in tears by the middle of the post, nothing can be read further.

Back
Top Bottom