Viking Conquest: Reforged Edition - Open Beta (Steam) - Update Patch 22/07/15

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think you guys could go over unit/troop stats and item stats?  There's a lot of units that flat out don't work well for any role in the game right now.  Archers and cavalry in particular have a difficult time performing their role on the battlefield because of sub-par stats and equipment.  Additionally, whatever system is used to determine flanking bonus damage seems to be functioning rather arbitrarily.  Sometimes I directly hit a target in the back, but the bonus doesn't show up.  Other times, I get the bonus when the attack clearly seems to hit the front or side of the target?  Beyond that, I think you need to adjust the stats on the 1h/2h axes in order to make them more viable.  Many of them have something like +1 damage compared to similar 1h only weapons.

Right now, there's very little advantage that you actually get by circling cavalry and archers behind an enemy infantry mob.  If I move cavalry behind the enemy infantry in the current build, they might score some hits with javelins if I position them perfectly and make them hold fire until the right time, but if I then tell them to charge into the enemy formation, they just kind of rush in, MAYBE get in one attack, then get annihilated.  Since I know you're not going to be doing any A.I. tweaks, can we at least equip cavalry and archers with equipment that the A.I. might use better and bump up the power-draw stats or proficiencies?

Great job with Reforged edition. So far I have only seen two things that confuse me. Primarily, the Pictish Champions (the highest level for Pictish infantry) seem to only have a dagger and a shield, however perhaps I am reading the menu incorrectly. In addition, when starting as a king, my vassals tend to have particularly low opinions of me. This makes playing as a king very difficult and also unrealistic. Therefore, I would reccomend having it so that most vassals are indifferent to you, some despise you, and some love you. However all of this is simply advice and not necessarily a glitch. God job and keep up the good work

Gandalff2498 said:
the Pictish Champions (the highest level for Pictish infantry) seem to only have a dagger and a shield,
they use to spawn with a "Goidelic Noble Long Sword", a shield, knife and javelins

Now they will spawn with a "Goidelic Noble Long Sword", a shield, javelins and a two-handed axe (it is random, so some troops may have one the sword - which is a 1H/2H weapon, some will have a sword and shield, and some will have the axe)

, when starting as a king,
Check your chronicle (story)  :smile:

MickeyHokkaido said:
Do you think you guys could go over unit/troop stats and item stats?  There's a lot of units that flat out don't work well for any role in the game right now.  Archers and cavalry in particular have a difficult time performing their role on the battlefield because of sub-par stats and equipment.  Additionally, whatever system is used to determine flanking bonus damage seems to be functioning rather arbitrarily.  Sometimes I directly hit a target in the back, but the bonus doesn't show up.  Other times, I get the bonus when the attack clearly seems to hit the front or side of the target?  Beyond that, I think you need to adjust the stats on the 1h/2h axes in order to make them more viable.  Many of them have something like +1 damage compared to similar 1h only weapons.

Right now, there's very little advantage that you actually get by circling cavalry and archers behind an enemy infantry mob.  If I move cavalry behind the enemy infantry in the current build, they might score some hits with javelins if I position them perfectly and make them hold fire until the right time, but if I then tell them to charge into the enemy formation, they just kind of rush in, MAYBE get in one attack, then get annihilated.  Since I know you're not going to be doing any A.I. tweaks, can we at least equip cavalry and archers with equipment that the A.I. might use better and bump up the power-draw stats or proficiencies?
Hi MickeyHokkaido,
MickeyHokkaido said:
Do you think you guys could go over unit/troop stats and item stats?  There's a lot of units that flat out don't work well for any role in the game right now.  Archers and cavalry in particular have a difficult time performing their role on the battlefield because of sub-par stats and equipment.
The roles of both cavalry and archers aren't the roles of late medieval ages of europe. They are more a support unit than a force on their own. This means, you shouldn't use the cavalry as late French heavy charger cavalry and you shouldn't use archers as late British longbows. In any case the problem with cavalry when they dismount is being fixed.

Additionally, whatever system is used to determine flanking bonus damage seems to be functioning rather arbitrarily.  Sometimes I directly hit a target in the back, but the bonus doesn't show up.  Other times, I get the bonus when the attack clearly seems to hit the front or side of the target?
We will take a look.

Beyond that, I think you need to adjust the stats on the 1h/2h axes in order to make them more viable.  Many of them have something like +1 damage compared to similar 1h only weapons.
Sorry but I think you are wrong. Speaking all the time about base values without modifiers(imods) of each kind of axe All the 2h axes (that were included because players request) are much stronger than a normal 1h axe. There are only some (6) of 1h that get close to a 2h axe and only 1 (that will be nerfed thanks to your comment) that is at the same level.

MickeyHokkaido said:
flanking bonus damage seems to be functioning rather arbitrarily. 

You have a chance (33%) of a bonus from behind, and the usual low chance of a critical from any position. So it is not arbitrary, just the roll of the dice  :wink:

(we had a bug with critical from behind now fixed that was reducing the %, try with the latest Steam Patch)

-> also notice that different kinds of weapons have unique bonus for the criticals

CeltiberoCaesar said:
MickeyHokkaido said:

Hi MickeyHokkaido,
MickeyHokkaido said:
Do you think you guys could go over unit/troop stats and item stats?  There's a lot of units that flat out don't work well for any role in the game right now.  Archers and cavalry in particular have a difficult time performing their role on the battlefield because of sub-par stats and equipment.
The roles of both cavalry and archers aren't the roles of late medieval ages of europe. They are more a support unit than a force on their own. This means, you shouldn't use the cavalry as late French heavy charger cavalry and you shouldn't use archers as late British longbows. In any case the problem with cavalry when they dismount is being fixed.

Additionally, whatever system is used to determine flanking bonus damage seems to be functioning rather arbitrarily.  Sometimes I directly hit a target in the back, but the bonus doesn't show up.  Other times, I get the bonus when the attack clearly seems to hit the front or side of the target?
We will take a look.

Beyond that, I think you need to adjust the stats on the 1h/2h axes in order to make them more viable.  Many of them have something like +1 damage compared to similar 1h only weapons.
Sorry but I think you are wrong. Speaking all the time about base values without modifiers(imods) of each kind of axe All the 2h axes (that were included because players request) are much stronger than a normal 1h axe. There are only some (6) of 1h that get close to a 2h axe and only 1 (that will be nerfed thanks to your comment) that is at the same level.

Alright, nerfing the outlier axe seems like that should fix that a bit.  As for cavalry and archers being weaker for the time-period, that's true and that's good, but I guess my issue is this:  They were still utilized.  They must have had some purpose to them.  Right now, there's just no reason for the player army to use archers.  I just think a general boost to the 'power draw' ability in many archers would give them a purpose - damaging shields and killing enemy skirmishers with slings/thrown weapons.  As it is now, archer units don't have any advantages over slingers or skirmishers.  Cavalry are a little more useful, you can take a few and flank the enemy and toss javelins with a little micromanagement, but they really are far from ideal.  I don't expect them to be anywhere near the level of a medieval knight, I just think that perhaps they could benefit more from 1h weapons instead of spears so that the A.I.  Additionally, I feel a general improvement to their 'power-throw' stat would give players a clearer picture of how to utilize them.  Thanks for the response!

I usually tell my archers to hold fire, then I circle the enemy with my cavalry and harass them so they turn around to face me.
Then I order the archers to open fire in their backs while they are facing me. Doesn't do a LOT, but it takes down some of the lighter units.
And in my book every unit downed by an archer is a unit that didn't get to hit back.

For the most archers are best used for defending in sieges and for taking down archers that are defending in sieges.
Some castles allow archers to do some brutal damage to enemy blobs ie. Norwic.

Cavalry is for as far as I know really most useful for harassing the enemy which causes them to start advancing.
In my experience you are almost always better off using a defencive stance on the battlefield.
The enemy is usually stubborn enough to stick in their starting area until one of their units takes a hit and that's where cavalry comes in.
And even then they sometimes refuse to really advance unless you keep at it :razz:

Something else entirely;
Can anyone tell me how to grant a lord a fief if you have kept it unlorded so you could decide later?
Every kingdom report says that granting a certain fief has been on the agenda but it never says where to actually grant it...
I tried talking to the lords, visiting the fief itself and talking to my minister already.
Do I maybe need one of those companion ministers?

Yep, seems like you need a companion minister.

MickeyHokkaido said:
Alright, nerfing the outlier axe seems like that should fix that a bit.  As for cavalry and archers being weaker for the time-period, that's true and that's good, but I guess my issue is this:  They were still utilized.  They must have had some purpose to them.  Right now, there's just no reason for the player army to use archers.  I just think a general boost to the 'power draw' ability in many archers would give them a purpose - damaging shields and killing enemy skirmishers with slings/thrown weapons.  As it is now, archer units don't have any advantages over slingers or skirmishers.  Cavalry are a little more useful, you can take a few and flank the enemy and toss javelins with a little micromanagement, but they really are far from ideal.  I don't expect them to be anywhere near the level of a medieval knight, I just think that perhaps they could benefit more from 1h weapons instead of spears so that the A.I.  Additionally, I feel a general improvement to their 'power-throw' stat would give players a clearer picture of how to utilize them.  Thanks for the response!

We are entering into a historical discussion here a little bit. The cavalry in those culture were more used to travel than to fight, pretty useless in fight. In any case, we gave both archers and cavalry some tactical use, you don't just have to charge with them into de mele.
About the archers, you players, have a fight between those that say their are OP because their accuracy and those that say they are useless. I can ensure you that a good group of archers on the back of a mele can be really dangerous. Trust me. 
I just think that perhaps they could benefit more from 1h weapons instead of spears so that the A.I
They make use of swords and other weapons once they need them.
About the stats you suggest, that would be risky. They make use of javelins, which are already strong, make them more deadly would lead to an OP cavalry. I think the fact of being in "Archer cavalry" group is a big hint of how they must be used.

Heh, I found a little bug in the game with the ferry transport near Ynis Mon.

If you have too big an army it will mention that it can't ferry a marshal and his whole army or something like that right?
Well at the ferry near Ynis Mon you are actually close enough to interact with the ferry station on the opposite side of the water and get a free transport by just selecting that one.  :facepalm:

BlitzKrieg-BoB said:

If you have too big an army it will mention that it can't ferry a marshal and his whole army or something like that right?
Well at the ferry near Ynis Mon you are actually close enough to interact with the ferry station on the opposite side of the water and get a free transport by just selecting that one.  :facepalm:
Thank you BLitzKrieg,
We will take a look. Remember we have a support subforums with an issues thread. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,334284.0.html

Just finished the Main Storyline in Beta - Blew my mind!! Well done guys  :grin:

The only thing I noticed was that I had to rejoin the fleet twice (first time around), but apart from that it was just dandy - I haven't start the side quest yet, although I'll let you know if I clock anything.

Thanks again.

CeltiberoCaesar said:
BlitzKrieg-BoB said:

Thank you BLitzKrieg,
We will take a look. Remember we have a support subforums with an issues thread. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,334284.0.html
Yeah if you start off as a king you are automatically a marshal and it wont let you pay for transport regardless of how many troops you have.
You can go to your main town and talk to your minister and change someone else to be the marshal which fixes it.

Another patch for Reforged Edition! We're really excited about this expansion and now that it seems mostly stable we will be looking to release this Friday, so stay tuned...

For now here is the changelog for the latest beta update:

--------------------------------------------------

FIXES:

-Minor bugfixes and resolved scene errors for both singleplayer and multiplayer
-Fixed Siege problem - reduction in morale when player has money
-Fixed entry points in Lundewic
-Fixed problem with flying troops in some sea battles
-Fixed messenger system issues
-Fixed outer terrain problem in snowy scenes
-Fixed problem with some christian villages that showed as pagan
-MP: Fixed bot control problem
-MP: Fixed spawning on land in fjord and island scenes

ADDITIONS
-Expanded player cultures and default formations according player choice in character creation
-Added info about battlefield keys in notes page
-Added order flags
-Added advice to player upon discovering adulterous spouse
-MP: Added poll option to change game mode for players

BALANCE:

-Quest rewards
-Ship capture rate after victory
-Frisian recruit rate
-Berserker uncontrollable rate
-Monastery raid looting
-MP: Unit and item costs in Warlords mode

------------------------------------------

Captain Lust said:
Another patch for Reforged Edition! We're really excited about this expansion and now that it seems mostly stable we will be looking to release this Friday, so stay tuned...

For now here is the changelog for the latest beta update:

--------------------------------------------------

FIXES:

-Minor bugfixes and resolved scene errors for both singleplayer and multiplayer
-Fixed Siege problem - reduction in morale when player has money
-Fixed entry points in Lundewic
-Fixed problem with flying troops in some sea battles
-Fixed messenger system issues
-Fixed outer terrain problem in snowy scenes
-Fixed problem with some christian villages that showed as pagan
-MP: Fixed bot control problem
-MP: Fixed spawning on land in fjord and island scenes

ADDITIONS
-Expanded player cultures and default formations according player choice in character creation
-Added info about battlefield keys in notes page
-Added order flags
-Added advice to player upon discovering adulterous spouse
-MP: Added poll option to change game mode for players

BALANCE:

-Quest rewards
-Ship capture rate after victory
-Frisian recruit rate
-Berserker uncontrollable rate
-Monastery raid looting
-MP: Unit and item costs in Warlords mode

------------------------------------------

Savegame from 13/07/2015 patch/version is not compatible with new patch/version? :sad:

//My mistake.. I've moved the game folder on another disc and I forgot to activate RE..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom