SP Viking Conquest Balance Mod 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Some questions were asked through private message at reddit about whether two changes to Norse troops (warrior archers having an upgrade path to tier IV swordsmen, and an increase in WP to Norse Nobles) might be overpowered. In case anyone has similar concerns, here is a summary of my response:

- Required XP to upgrade is based on the unit upgrading, not the unit upgraded to. Since Warrior Archers are a level 26 unit, they will require as much XP to become a Tier IV swordmen as a normal Tier IV unit needs to reach Tier V, and because of the discrete jumps in XP required at certain levels, this is much more than normal tier III units need to obtain the same upgrade.

- 5.0 makes cross-religion recruiting much more difficult. Meaning part of the relevant balance becomes pagan vs Christian, not just faction vs faction. Norse now have slightly better top spearmen with the boost to WP, but they are still much worse than Saxon spearmen, and have worse equipment than many top spearmen. Overall, the Norse player's ability to recruit top spearmen has significantly decreased.

- One area where the Norse player has improved, alongside the Saxon and Angle player, is the tightening in throwing weapon quality across factions, which has lessened the prior dominance of Irish and Pict troops somewhat. They are still better, but their throwing weapons are only moderately better now, rather than far better. Meanwhile, the Britons have been significantly strengthened by the archery buffs and some WP increases among their units, though they remain relatively weak compared to other factions, as in Vanilla. The Picts also lost their dominance in missle units, with Pict crossbows made cutting, same as bows in vanilla VC.

Overall, a power gaming Norse player has seen a rise in difficulty with 5.0, as he will get fewer Christian recruits, unless he works long to increase his local reputation to counter that (which is now a bit harder, with a single feast of tournament victories not catapulting the player to 30 in 5.0). But his core Norse troops will perform a bit better--slightly more competent top spearmen, slightly better archers (though Britons, and also Saxons and angles, got a greater increase there), and better throwing weapons.

His Norse AI allies will have a somewhat more elite force than the Christian factions though, and so the Norse kingdoms overall will be more fearsome, though the changes to religion mean they will also face more threat of conversions to Christianity (as Christianity in 5.0 now converts more effectively than Paganism). Meanwhile, the Christian factions have been tightened in strength--the Irish and Picts outperform by a bit smaller margin at range, and the Britons do a bit better overall.

That's how I'd expect it to work, anyway, but I guess we'll see with time and further feedback. :smile:

Three issues (which may or may not be related to VC Balance Mod 5.0):

1. I have been experiencing sporadic CTDs. The crashes, to the best of my knowledge, occur immediately after saving the game using the quicksave key, F10. But not every time that I quicksave. Sometimes with an error box and code, sometimes without. (Sorry, neglected to record the error code.) And because this happens right after saving the game, it causes a very small inconvenience.

2. First runaway serf quest that I have accepted near the coast (Dubh Linn vicinity): bizarre behavior witnessed. While attempting to flee or return to their village, the serfs walk on water. This makes completing the quest nearly impossible. I could not catch them when they started their messiah-like behavior.

3. Challenged Cyning Egbert to a Trial of Arms on behalf of Gwladus. But, while pursuing Egbert, the Glywyssing faction was all but defeated and now have zero holdings. So, Gwladus is missing in action. The quest cannot be resolved without reporting back to Gwladus and no other Trial of Arms may be undertaken with an unresolved quest pending. This may take care of itself when someone concurs the Glywyssing faction or the Glywyssing faction comes back from the dead and captures a castle/town.

Hi TadhgEomonn!

I think those are likely issues of with Vanilla VC or Warband.

1) I googled and found reports of both viking conquest and warband crashing on quicksaves. Can't imagine the mod causing that, as it doesn't add anything new that would make saving a problem (ie, does not have more parties, or new troops or items, etc)

BTW, I always save in locations (towns, taverns, villages, or even the camp location you can call up anywhere). This is because save corruption issues that can occur in some other mods, at least in the past (The Last Days, Pendor), and the developers of those mods have previously issued recomendations that the corruption can be avoided by saving in locations (TLD recomendation was from many years ago, bur Mitchy Matt, Pendor dev, mentioned this just a month or so ago again on reddit). I think the idea is the game is constantly doing things while on the worldmap, and if you catch it at the wrong time problems can occur. Not sure if Viking Conquest has save corruption issues or not (never seen Pendor corrupt personally either actually), just paranoid about never losing a campaign, given how much time goes into one.

Obviously your current problem isn't corrupted saves, but the crashes might be related to catching it at the wrong time as well, if you are quicksaving a lot.

2) definiatelly not the mod, as nothing relating to the map, pathfinding, or the serfs have been altered. You might be able to work-around by using ctrl T to teleport if it happens again though.

3) I imagine that one is base Warband problem. You are right she should show back up after awhile, but if for any reason she doesn't, a save game editor would allow you to assign her a new guardian and location.

Tingyun,

I did not want to accuse you of causing the problems in the game, and I do not. But being new to Viking Conquest and not having played the un-modded version, I am ignorant of most of its built-in problems. I choose your excellent mod specifically because it included bug fixes.

Thank you for the good advice. Particularly regarding quick saves; I suspect that I may well be nudging the game toward instability by quick saving on the world map.

I am not familiar with the Ctrl-T shortcut for teleporting; will investigate.

Will consider save-game edits for the missing female character if the situation becomes a major obstacle.

Hi TadhgEomonn,

Of course, your report is appreciated! I was providing detailed responses to each just to help clarify the issues. Indeed, I hope people report any problems here--no way to be certain the mod isn't causing them without asking. :smile:

I wish I could fix those bugs with vanilla VC--but my coding skills are limitied. I've been able to fix bugs that involves numbers being wrong and such, and by EvilSquid's permission incorporate his bug fixes for some more complex bugs, but anything having to do with crashes in saves or AI pathfinding is just beyond my limited coding abilities.

Wait--oops. Ctrl T is reveal map, Ctrl mouseclick is teleport. I don't cheat enough, and had mixed them up. :wink: Anyway, yes, ctrl T to find the party, ctrl click to teleport, can help resolve some bugs like that.

Yep, let me know if you run into any problems with the save editor! It is a great tool, and can let you do all sorts of useful things (cause divorces, change equipment, etc).

Tingyun,

Since you offered assistance with the save-game editor, I would like to avail myself of your expertise:

Got the editor and can start it up.

I have found the quest (#26 qst_duel_courtship_rival) which is in limbo for my game because of Gwladus (troop #535), who has disappeared due to her faction's loss of all towns and castles. Being a lady, she necessarily requires a town/castle as a place to be.

At a loss as to how I can fix this quest in my game. Hoping you might make a suggestion or two.

You could change her guardian and location numbers to a new lord, who is present in the game. Basically giving her an adopted father. If they aren't labeled, then use some lady who you know where she is and who her guardian is in the game, look up that guardian's number, and that should identify the lines you need to change.

Tingyun,

Well, I can report a successful resolution to my open quest problem.

Followed your suggestion: changing guardian value of the lady in question (Gwladus) to a lord of a viable faction and changing her cur_center value to 29 (copying the value of from that of another lady in the same town).

Thanks

Hi, Tingyun

Do you intend to make a 5+ version of your mod? I'm waiting for you to finish your mod, so I can make mine based upon yours.

Request (if practicable): After being knocked unconscious the backspace battle-map is no longer available; if you can do it, I would suggest allowing a player to see the battle-map to make following the battle easier.

Hi Piedalf:

There will likely be future versions at some point. I have a huge list of planned changes.

Timing is uncertain, as my wife and I are currently in the midst of a house search and coordinating a cross-country move, as well as getting caught up on a host of things that fell by the wayside while I was sick.

You should probably go ahead and create your submod. Depending on what you do, compatibility may not even be too much of an issue--most changes in 5.0 were to mechanics rather than Troops or Items anyway. If you intend to mostly focus on Troops and Items, it will be easy to integrate your submod with any future VC Balance Mod versions. If you go broader, some more work merging might be needed, but shouldn't be a big deal.

After you create it, let me know if you want me to put a link advertising it in the main VC Balance Mod nexus page, and if there is anything else I can do to help support you.

TadhgEomonn:

I'll add it to the list to consider for future versions, thanks for the suggestion.

Hey Ting,

Was just going through and tweaking out the 3.258 "Dead Companions" nonsense to allow dead companions to return post campaign and noticed that the mod sys for 5.0 is missing a few things:

1) No siege battle continuation
2) No editable wife outfits (DEAL BREAKER!!! jk)

Will update as I find more.

-Z

Hi Zeqe,

The module files are missing everything that came from text editing (wife equipment, keep horse in docinga, keep equipment when sneaking into castle or town). Obviously also missing troop and item changes, but those text files are included in the package. Basically stuff I had started before I began directly modding the .py files.

Battle continuation after KO was always from the included tweaks from Kalarhan's Tweaks Tool, not from VC Balance Mod. Starting in 2.0, I included the below tweaks with the main mod:

"The included tweaks from the tweaks tool are: keep morrigan in party, battle continuation after KO, 0 relation loss if you refuse most quests from lord, no troops stealing from you (ie, ale, jewelry), no marshall levying your troops, bandit lairs visible from twice as far away as normal, 99% ship capture in battle, random captured ship HP, prisoner hire waiting period of 6 hours, disable stat loss from long games, use horse in town scenes."

The module files are for you to use Kalarhan's great Tweaks Tool yourself, enable the ones you like, and make further mods, then compile. If you want to include the same tweaks as I selected by default, you can enable the ones from the above list after downloading Kalarhan's Tweaks Tool.

Note that if modding yourself you always need to separately download and use Kalarhan's Tweaks Tool, the module files I put up are only a "compatibility" file, only including the files VC Balance Mod itself changes. Within Kalarhan's Tweaks Tool he includes instructions for selecting the tweaks you like, and a file you can edit to do so.

Hey,

I realized I was being stupid, so I just edited out the relevant section from the .py (Added in 3.258 of VC) re-recruited Bodo, then extracted your compiled distro over the top again. Its a pretty easy fix based off a Kalarhan post in the tweak thread. Sort of a silly realization that I was creating more work for myself to fix the issue. Thanks for the recommendation anyway. I'm still digging away at integrating the Dark Age visual mod with your balance mod, I just don't have much free time (due to far too much play time!) but I hope to have it done in a few weeks. Using Winmerge has been helpful, but the troops.txt is the real bugbear, as I have had to go through Manually and Morgh's the changes in item names for each troop, etc.

-Z

The mayor in Ribe is offering me the same quest for over 100 days now. Wasn't there a timer and after some script error you'd get a new quest? Do I need to fail quests in towns to get another one?

Hi incas:

Easiest way to reset offered quest by town mayor is to ask any other town mayor or castle sheriff for a quest. For example, if you travel between a town and a castle asking for quests repeatedly, it will randomly regenerate offered quest each time.

Not sure about a timer for resetting offered quest on its own--Balance Mod doesn't change any of the quest offerring behavior (beyond reenabling some quests for lord PCs and loosening some prerequisites), so I haven't researched it.

There is a timer for a completed quest becoming available in the pool for random selection though. Depends on quest, usually a month or two. So every particular kind of quest has a cooldown period associated with it that works globally. So if you have done all other quests recently, there may only be one possibility left in the pool when a mayor randomly selects. But not at 100 days.

Tingyun said:
Hi incas:

Easiest way to reset offered quest by town mayor is to ask any other town mayor or castle sheriff for a quest. For example, if you travel between a town and a castle asking for quests repeatedly, it will randomly regenerate offered quest each time.
Ha, you're right. I played so much Warband but this is the first run where I didn't start doing many quests, so I never experienced this.

I have already tweaked my files. This claim all loot tweak and bandit party deleveled thing, which file does that? Also I wonder about quest reset time too. please help

Thank you for your work.

Back
Top Bottom