• We'll be making a number of structural changes to the forums on Wednesday, 06.12.2023. No downtime is expected. Read more here.

SP Viking Conquest Balance Mod 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Tingyun said:
Gagafofo,

haven’t heard of renown drops before, very odd. It might just be some one-time warband glitch, please report back if it happens again.

OK. Thanks for answering

Hi gagafofo,

The Dark Age graphics Modpack that is compatible with VC Balance Mod is a “lite” version, where the Dark Age creator removed his item changes and such and just has the graphics changes.

VC Balance Mod has its own extensive troop/item changes, and so is generally not compatible with other mods that change those things. Indeed, mods in Warband are usually not compatible with each other—the only reason there is a compatibility patch for merging Dark Age/Balance Mod is because the Dark Age creator generously took the time to create a compatibility version.

Tingyun said:
Hi Jarl Sigmund Haraldsson,

Required renown for what? It’s morning here and my mind is still a bit foggy, sorry if it should be obvious. Happy to help if you specify.

On army control and morale, the formula is the same as vanilla VC, but using the realistic travel speeds means more time for morale to decay between battle/destinations, which does indeed up the importance of paying attention to such factors.

Thank you for the kind praise, although I would personally say vanilla VC is very well-polished and balanced (which is why Balance Mod changes are generally pretty subtle). Not trying to dampen your excitement about the mod, just want us to stay positive on the great game the VC devs gave us. :smile:

Honestly, I just played 3-4 hours on a Vanilla new character because I find it extremely difficult to win / level up troops in Balance.
HONESTLY, with all the love to VC's developers... I just reinstalled Balance. Many things were bugging me, not necessarily bugs but unbalanced things.
I wanted with all my heart to play Vanilla because it is, as you said well polished but it kinda sucks after you've played Balance for some time.

On topic though, Renown required to recruit troops from Castle / Towns. It said in a changelog it was dropped to 100 from 150, or I might be mistaken. Nevertheless, couldn't find it anywhere.

Hi Jarl Sigmund Haraldsson,

It should be a bit easier to level up troops with Balance Mod, at least from combat (your troops get +50% kill Xp compared to vanilla VC). Mainly that is to speed combat leveling a bit to make it more significant compared to passive leveling (training skill, refuge, etc).

On the renown requirement you mention—I don’t think Balance Mod changed it. Perhaps what you remember from the changelog is Balance Mod removes the renown requirement for recruiting most tavern mercenaries (the only exception being the old captain). Hmm, Balance Mod also has the player start at 1 renown, while vanilla VC starts the player higher (50 or so if I remember correctly), so in practice Balance Mod actually raises the amount of renown the player has to earn to reach 150.

As for modding it yourself, I don’t know off the top of my head which file it would be, but I’m not sure it would end up being worth your time—you could probably earn 150 renown faster than it would take you. But if you wanted to figure out a text edit to do that, the first step would be to download the Balance Mod module files (up on nexus), as well as the VC Tweaks Tool 1.2 (which Kalarhan has all set up to compile by running an exe, it is very easy).

Copy the Balance Mod module files over the Tweaks Tool 1.2 module files, overwriting when prompted, which will add the changes from both the VC 2.044 update and Balance Mod’s changes. Then use a text editor like notepad++ to search around in the likely files (scripts, dialogue, menus, those are the 3 .py files that spring to mind), locate the requirement, change it, compile with the Tweaks Tool. Then you can either install the remaining balance Mod changes on top of that (just the itemkinds1.txt and module.ini files, those are the only remaining text files thanks to Ryantheskinny’s work), or, even easier, use winmerge to compare the specific file you changed and locate where the 150 became whatever you changed it to, and then you know how to do a text edit for it. (Maybe there is an easier way, but honestly I think the fastest way at least for me to figure out a text edit is to just do the changes in the module system and use winmerge to see what changed in the resulting text file).

I seem to have fixed the save crashing (hopefully)

I loaded the save in vanilla VC and saved a few times without any crashing. I then reinstalled the balance mod and have yet to have it crash after saving.

I did only save in scenes on this playthrough and the problems did occur later than they usually would.

Interesting that a reinstall fixed the problem, maybe some file/setting just got messed up over time. Glad to hear you fixed it, and congrats on running such a long campaign!

You did enhance troops, especially Saxon to be abit better as it serves the purpose of it being the last kingdom standing. However, every other kingdom's lord seem to have higher tier troops. East Engle just declared war on day 400 and they have alot of Noble troops while my Saxons have less.

Also, I gave up on Balance because it is UTTERLY DIFFICULT to win battles. 80vs80 means I will lose 75 troops while the enemy loses only 15-25. Something is wrong. In Vanilla I could win Lord vs Lord battles, but with Balance it's impossible.

I can't level my troops using battle because most lords have 200+ troops and even if I do get 200 troops, mine will be lower tier and I will just get crushed. It is very difficult to go over 250 renown. The only viable way to get renown after 250 is to fight Frankish Raiders on the sea, which seems abit gamey.

My difficulty settings:

Campaign AI: Beginner (the AI cheats already, no need to give them even more)
Combat AI: Hardcore (I understand ALL troops fight better, not just the enemy)
Damage to Player / Friends: Hardcore (from day 1, not that hard if you carefully stay out of javelins range and never turn your back to the enemy)
Leveling: Normal
Budget: Normal
Recruiting: Normal

I saw it was recommended to have Normal Campaign AI, you mentioned it was balanced. Care to explain why should we give the AI more reinforcements? They already start with 200+ troops whom are high tier. 
You also recommended Hardcore Leveling / Budget. Care to explain abit more in depth why?

I love playing your recommended difficulty settings but Lord vs Lord battles are impossible. Every time I manage to get a decent army trained by my Refuge's trainer, I run into some Lord and I get crushed.

Like I said before, I can't play Vanilla anymore because it's buggy in some areas.

I did test Custom Battles: 100 vs 100 and I win those. But in Custom Battles both sides are given decent troops. Both Spearmen and Infantry Tier III IV. In Sandbox however, I can never get such troops.

I also noticed that whenever the Player is involved in Lord vs Lord battles, my side loses unless we have 500 vs 200. Does Tactics influence winning that much? MY character personally has 5 in Tactics.

Thanks in advance and also thanks for delivering such an amazing fix to Vanilla.

Does Campaign AI also influence how many troops I can recruit from Castle / Towns? I have 6 Leadership, 6 Persuasion on my character and also 20+ relations with those Castles, but I only seem to get 5-7 troops maximum in rare cases. Most of the time I get "Nobody wants to join you"

Jarl Sigmund Haraldsson said:
You did enhance troops, especially Saxon to be abit better as it serves the purpose of it being the last kingdom standing. However, every other kingdom's lord seem to have higher tier troops. East Engle just declared war on day 400 and they have alot of Noble troops while my Saxons have less.

Saxon lords will generally recruit slightly better armies than East Engle lords. However, Warband recruiting has a high random element to it (they roll between 3 tables of varying elite status). Your East Engle lords rolled lucky.

In Vanilla I could win Lord vs Lord battles, but with Balance it's impossible.

It sounds like you are fighting lords far too early. There is a progression from early game—mid game—late game, and fighting lords is the late game challenge.

In Balance Mod, AI lords are much more elite, but also recruit very slowly when replenishing their losses. The intended effect is epic, challenging late-game battles, but no need to repeatedly grind by beating the same lord again and again every few days.

Take a look at Joaquinn’s epic battle here: https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/8o3q0b/mount_and_blade_viking_conquest_total_war_edition/

Joaquinn posted detailed screenshots of the battle, and you can see the kind of prep and tactics he uses to achieve victory against the Danish king.

He also posted this summary: “Your choice to give kings a reasonable amount of high level units actually made me think twice before engaging. Game play has gotten far more involved as I can't just steamroll lords. Well done, and thank you!” That has been characteristic of the feedback I have received on this change from Balance Mod players.

Basically, the upside of this change is a challenging and interesting late-game, the arguable downside is an extended middle-game. Some players like the extended middle-game, but others might prefer to rush through the middle-game faster, and they have an option to do so (turn on “beginner” leveling and finance). Either way, the late-game in VC is very long, so keeping it challenging to ensur it is fun and interesting is a priority.

I can't level my troops using battle because most lords have 200+ troops and even if I do get 200 troops, mine will be lower tier and I will just get crushed. It is very difficult to go over 250 renown. The only viable way to get renown after 250 is to fight Frankish Raiders on the sea, which seems abit gamey.

Way too early for you to be fighting lords in this state, you are in the mid-game.

Before we talk mid-game strategy, let’s address your last question—is it gamey to fight sea bandits to build up? No, absolutely not. Large bandit parties at land and sea are the intended mid-game targets for a combat oriented player.

Ok, now on to what you will need to transition into late-game:

- there is always the early-mid game trade route if you need money to hire the better tavern mercs—trade salt wine jewelry from Dorested to English towns along the Thames river, buy wool from the towns and villages and sell back to Dorested. Remember, Vikings were heavy traders.

However, my preference is:

- hit sea bandit parties, especially Danish vikingr in the English Channel, and raiders and vikingr in the Irish Sea. Those sea bandit parties kill a lot of caravans, and tend to accumulate great prisoners to rescue, meaning you not only get money, but also can fill your army with good units. The Danish elites are also great prisoner recruits. Also there are good land party hunting grounds near Dunwich and in Cornwall, as those have Danish elites as well.

While doing so:

- don’t take every troop in your army, instead form a solid hunting group of tier III or so men in a skeid or a snekja, to maximize loot/renown/Xp gains for them. Do capture ships and fill them with useful prisoner rescues, but periodically drop the extras in a camp to keep your hunting party at its ideal size.

And at the same time because quest timers reset periodically:

- pick a favorite town and castle or two of your religion, in an area you will base yourself, and build up relations with them by doing lots of quests. Relations are hugely influential in quality of recruits you get (ie, with high relations you will often get direct tier III recruits)

And eventually to fight lords you will need:

- develop the fief your king gives you. In Balance Mod, your fief has huge bonuses to recruitment, especially if it is a village, as you have the right as lord to press those men into your service (you could potentially recruit 30+ men in one recruiting action in a village you own). Protect it, do quests to build up you relations so you get a sho at tier II direct recruits, and use it to fill your army with large numbers of men.

And to effectively utilize those recruits:

- recruit several companions, raise their level a bit, and prioritize trainer skill. With a good selection of companion trainers, a large army of peasants will quickly become a skilled force.

That will get you a solid force of tier III-IV troops, money to support them and hire mercs, a village to quickly fill out ranks and companion support to swiftly train them, towns-castles that like you to get some direct tier III recruits, and high renown and player level. Then, you will be ready to challenge lords.

(Though again, if that process doesn’t sound as much fun to you as it does to me, then turn on “beginner” leveling and finance, and you can get there much more quickly)

Campaign AI: Beginner (the AI cheats already, no need to give them even more)
I saw it was recommended to have Normal Campaign AI, you mentioned it was balanced. Care to explain why should we give the AI more reinforcements? They already start with 200+ troops whom are high tier. 

Beginner campaign AI will engage handicaps in your favor—the AI will avoid attacking your kingdom if it is still small (this happens on normal campaign AI as well in most mods, but is disabled for normal level in Balance Mod), etc.

Generally, the biggest effect of campaign AI is how fast AI lords replenish losses. It doesn’t change the end result really, they will have the same final roster, it just determines how fast they recruit.

Balance Mod normal campaign AI is already slower in recruiting than most mods easy campaign AI. It takes AI lords around a full month to fully recover their armies after defeat.

Again, that change is coupled with the more elite AI lord armies, reducing the boring grind of fighting the same easy lord over and over, and instead replacing that with one pivotal, challenging battle.

Turning easy campaign AI would make the lords recover even more slowly, and I think the speed at normal is already slow enough. Note that easy campaign AI will have the opposite effect on player kingdom lords—they will recruit much faster.

Basically, normal campaign AI is the fair level, easy heavily handicaps in your favor.

You also recommended Hardcore Leveling / Budget. Care to explain abit more in depth why?

Sure, but first—those two settings are much more influential on actual difficulty than campaign AI setting. Actually, let me put it this way—leveling/budget are basically early-mid-late game difficulty settings, they affect it at every stage, while campaign AI exerts most of its effect on late game.

Hmm, here would be my more fleshed out recommendation:

“If you are like most Balance Mod players, a long-time veteran of VC, play on hardcore leveling/budget, they influence difficulty the most. If you are a roleplayer, play on hardcore, because it will push you into a more immersive progression with an extended middle game. If you want a short middle game, go with normal or beginner settings.”

I should probably update the documentation with that more detailed recommendation.

Does Campaign AI also influence how many troops I can recruit from Castle / Towns? I have 6 Leadership, 6 Persuasion on my character and also 20+ relations with those Castles, but I only seem to get 5-7 troops maximum in rare cases. Most of the time I get "Nobody wants to join you"

Campaign AI doesn’t affect recruiting,

What is your religion? In Balance Mod, religion is a huge influence on recruiting. High local relations can make up for opposite religion, but 20 isn’t high enough really for that (they have to be big fans of you to overlook the religion difference).

Bear in mind that Northumbria is mixed territory—a pagan player will get worse results there than they would in their home kingdoms. Much like would have been true historically, a journey back to Denmark or Norway to raise a band for an expedition might be more effective. Still, the Northumbria castles, and some villages, are fairly heavily pagan, and should mostly work. By the same token, a Christian in Northumbria will look more to the towns and Christian villages for their recruits.

Anyway, aside from religion, renown is very important to recruiting. Higher local relations will also help a great deal—build up some towns to 60-70 relations with some work, and you will be getting numerous recruits and often direct tier III recruits.

The biggest and best source of recruits though is ownership of a fief. A village you own will give you vast numbers of men for each recruiting action (intended to make villages a bit more attractive for the player), while towns and castles you own will, especially combined with good relations, generate solid numbers of tier II-III recruits.

Basically, if you want great recruiting, join a kingdom and develop your fief.

If you are still a roving mercenary, tavern mercs/prisoner rescues/prisoner hires will likely be important for you, but you can get good recruiting as well if you make a location love you.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

My start goes like this:

1. Get a combat character. Shield + Long War Spear. Sword for close combat sometimes.
2. Gather medic companions + Caio.
3. Hit Vikings in East Engle teritory + longphort quest.
4. Sell wool in Dorestad, buy lots of Wine for 85+ gold / also the crown item that buys for 450-500
5. Buy Snekkja ASAP.
6. Since I make stupid amounts of money from Wine selling I buy Spearman from taverns then hit vikings at sea.
7. Become mercenary for a faction, the larger my party, the more I get paid.
8. I never go plate armor, I noticed longphorts tend to scale difficulty according to my gear. I love playing as light armor, makes my roleplay nicer.
9. Get relations with most towns / castles and their lords before getting 150 renown.
10. Spam Freeholders.
11. Build refuge and upgrade fully.
12. Let the fun begin.

I overcame my difficulties today. After I started to mix spearmen / infantry I carefully chose my targets and I can beat any lord that has same or less troops than I do.

I have 300k gold and after horrible fights with East Engle I managed to win back Hrofae Ceaster castle. I had to defend it myself, lost 3 armies while doing so because Wessex now has 8 active wars and nobody came to help.
But I succeeded, fought back 600 East Engle troops with my 250 t2 spearmen / infantry.
Ealdorman Aethelmod told me his daughter is waiting for me, I have 460 renown.

Yes, I was rushing to late game way too early. In Vanilla I could steamroll with 100 spearmen. In Balance, just spearmen won't do the trick. It made me challenge myself.

My refuge is across the sea in East Engle teritory. I ship recruits to refuge from Wessex, bring them back to my castle when ready. Since East Engle keep holding a grudge against me I intend to conquer Dunwic when I'll get 3 Busse's built.

I know the tactics for VC, my routine to destroy danish elite longphort brings me 40k gold along with trading before day 30. My only problem was army management in Balance. But I've gotten the hang of it and I will now increase the Campaign AI to Normal.

I play an Anglo-Saxon christian guy.

Level 20 Ealdorman Godwin Haroldsson - day 763
Strength 18
Agility 14
Intellect 10
Charisma 12

460 renown
112 reputation
94 right to rule

I love roleplaying as a vassal of the last kingdom. Danmark always lands in Cantwarburah and siege it. All the factions except for Mierce and Northrumbia are at war with us. We mainly defend our own fiefs since every vassal is busy somewhere.

I protect Ealdorman Aethelmod and he protects me. That was my plan, somehow get Hrofae Ceaster and be his neighbour and son in law. I hope his daughter accepts me after 500+ renown.

After I join his family I will focus more on expanding.

Oh and next to us there is also a salt mine, I easily get 6k gold on 20 reaver prisoners.

Hello!
Awesome job you did in this mod!
I like it very much. It's been a while since I felt challenged in my gamethrough like my current one using this mod.
Although I have one complaint. And that would be with the current bandit band sizes. It's too small and weak even after 1000 in-game days.
The biggest bandit group I found was 40. The rest are mostly 4s and 5s!!!.
Changing the settings for bandit spawning speed didn't help either. There's now  more of them but still 4s and 5s. For God's sake I even saw a 1 viking walking around with 4 farmers as prisoners! Lol.
Any solution for this problem? Thanks.

BaalAmmon said:
Hello!
Awesome job you did in this mod!
I like it very much. It's been a while since I felt challenged in my gamethrough like my current one using this mod.

That’s wonderful to hear, and glad you are enjoying yourself!

BaalAmmon said:
Changing the settings for bandit spawning speed didn't help either. .

It probably will help, but needs some time. The explanation will be a bit long:

Game mechanics background: VC implemented a system where the larger a bandit spawn is, the smaller the cap for max number of parties. So let’s say the game wants to spawn a size 7 party, it might do that as long as there are less than 8 current bandit parties at that spawn point. But if the game wants to spawn a size 50 party, it will only do so if there are less than 3 current parties.

Now the downside of that system is it can be “sticky” once small parties have spawned, because say if there are 6 parties, then new small parties might be spawned to replenish losses, and keep things above the threshold to block big parties.

Vanilla VC used bandit spawns leveled to player army strength, and so often became “sticky” if a player would intermittently drop off troops in a camp to go small party hunting.

Balance Mod uses random spawn sizes, weighted lower, and tends to be less sticky as a result (because the possibility of a range of spawn sizes will often get somewhat larger spawns rolled that are still under the threshold, and those mid range spawns are a bit less able to dodge getting killed by the ai).

However, when you initially have the bandit spawn setting lower, the world will have filled up more with the smallest parties, and they are the lost nimble at avoiding getting killed, so increasing the spawn setting will only slowly change the average size of spawns in the world. It will work, but it will take some time.

In general, the best way to “unstick” the situation whether in vanilla VC or Balance Mod is for the player to go and actively hunt down some small parties and clear the way. That is easier in Balance Mod, as you can do that small party hunting with a small party yourself to easily catch them (which would be counterproductive in vanilla VC, since the spawn size being tied to player army size means you have to keep a large army at all times to avoid small parties filling up again). So if you want to speed things along, drop most of your army off, and go kill some small parties for a bit, while keeping the bandit spawn setting on “more” to have the new spawns average a bit higher.

Thanks for the reply!. Indeed when I destroyed a punch of those 5-15 bandit groups actively, bigger ones started to appear. Thanks!.

Few questions if you will.
I've read all the changelogs of every patch of this mod...but it doesn't help that English is my third language..
So
A) in native when I hold a feast I used to get a positive relations with every one of my visitors when I speak to them at the feast...now I only get it with only one of them if any...is that a feature of the mod or am I messing something?

B) In native I used to speak to every lord I come across early on so later when I start my kingdom I'd have a very good idea of their personality when they show up at my court. I used to do that by checking the known lords list.
Now I don't see their personalities there, all it says is how much relations I do have with them. Is that another feature?

C) Another thing I noticed is that if I show up at an enemy castle or town with roughly 3 times their garrison number or more, they serrunder without a fight! What is causing that? Is it my honor? Or the numbers? And is that a feature of the mod? . I know you said that surrender mechanics are now behaving properly but it's too easy now. I took 7 castles and a town without losing a single soldier!

I'm playing with your recommended settings and I'm king with 1200 renown and 200+ honor.

Thanks again! And best regards.

Sounds like things are going great, congrats on your kingdom!

On your questions:

A) Balance Mod only has 1 change to feast relations that I can find, but it only applies to when the player is the guest, not the host.

So whatever you are seeing is the same as vanilla VC. I can’t remember the specifics, but I don’t think the relations boost is unconditional in VC. Maybe it is capped off when you are already decent relations?

B) Vanilla VC doesn’t have lord personalities listed on notes. I didn’t think native Warband  had it either, I thought it was just a popular mod added feature, but I so rarely play unmodded warband I cant remember.

Zakarum added lord personalities to notes in his Viking Conquest Family Edition Mod, and invited me to integrate parts of his mod  with Balance Mod. I had always hoped  to do so, as he had so many interesting things in his mod, but real life responsibilities kept my time short and I unfortunately didn’t get to it. Anyone is welcome to make submods or otherwise take whatever they like from Balance Mod though, and maybe an ambitious modder (like RyantheSkinny) might add features like this.

C) Surrender was first fixed to work as intended by EvilSquid, as one of many bug fixes he created, and then integrated to Balance Mod. The VC devs also read EvilSquid’s report and fixed it the same way in VC 2.044.

From VC 2.044 changelog:
- reverse strength test for besieged, add consideration for player allies
- add consideration of player party strength to surrender decision

So the current surrender behavior in Balance Mod is the same as the latest version of vanilla VC, but different than what you had in prior versions of VC.

Of course, what sometimes happens in a game with a long-standing bug is that things end up balanced around the existence of that bug and fixing it can cause some balance issues to crop up.

I’ll make a note to look into surrender balance if I get time in the future. If anyone else has opinions on it, please do also share your experience. I can always release an add-on to reduce surrenders if people would like that, but I’d like to first solicit as much feedback as possible.

I feel like surrendering when outnumbered 3 to 1 and trapped inside a fort is not unreasonable behavior. Balance should come from making it expensive and difficult but not impossible to wander around with an army that large. Part of the reason we remember the great heathen army a thousand years later is that they wandered around getting entire kingdoms worth of garrisons to surrender to them.

10.0 files now available at ModDB (well, the 4 most important ones, the ModDB format makes me hesitant to upload all the optional add-ons nexus has).

https://www.moddb.com/mods/vc-balance-mod

Sorry about the long delay where 10.0 was only available for download at nexus—real life has been crazy busy lately.

10.0 has been out for a while now without any bugs found, and 10.0 is fully updated to the latest version of VC 2.044, so my sense is it will likely be the final version (unless VC itself gets a future update).

Please feel free to continue posting new ideas or any problems you encounter. I won’t likely be releasing a new version, but other modders integrating Balance Mod into their own projects might find it useful, and should a new version of VC come out and I have to do a new version anyway I might have time to also incorporate new ideas then.

Thank you to everyone who contributed ideas and help to Balance Mod’s development. The mod credit list is long, and it reflects how much is owed to this community.

I want to say a huge thank u for all this work on updates, it is so enjoyable!

I want to mention fiefs assigning specially, with Hersir/Jarl tags given depending on it - not only it gives better balance in the gave and ability to defend fiefs more effective for AI in the game, but also it even gives some kinda hierarchy which is good for roleplay.

Balanced tax inafficiency is wonderful too though, I can take not only the town for myself, but all the castles either so that I have full control over the fiefs meaning noone can betray me, change the side and steal a castle or two. Like I can centraulize the power, collect all the prisoners from the castles regulary and have all the villages protected by my hersirs all the time.

Thanks for the kind words!

I think the stuff you are praising is from vanilla VC though, which is natural in how great a job the VC devs did.

I haven’t changed the system for title assignment (EvilSquid had some ideas for doing so I think, but I didn’t incorporate that part).

The system for controlling tax inefficiency is from vanilla VC as well, all i did if I remember correctly was slightly weaken the “minister likes you” reduction (very slight change, it is still a powerful reduction when your minister has high relations with you), and increase average campaign AI tax inefficiency to the same level as hard (as part of the changes to make average campaign AI the new “fair, challenging but remove AI cheats” level).

Glad to hear you are enjoying your campaign so much, and thanks again!

Hello everyone. I'm still alive!

Great work Tingyun on your balance mod, and thank you for your support with my own modding ventures.

So I took a longer break than I intended, but am looking forward to getting my mod ready for a release and having its own Thread.

For those who haven't seen any of that in the comments here, my mod is based on Tingyuns balance changes with an extended map and new start date.
The new start date is 871. Alfred the Great has just become king, The Viking invasion have started to slow down, and they have settled in the Danelaw eyeing the lands of the Saxons. Viking warlords have also made homes for themselves in Friese in Frisia(Holland), Laithland in Scotland and Ireland, and Holmgardr and Kiev in Eastern Europe. The Frankish descendants of Charlemagne have just finished carving up their lands with the treaty of Meerson in 870 and the Asturians fight from the hills of northern Spain against the Moors of Al-Andalus. And the once mighty Roman Empire still clings to its Eastern provinces on the southeastern part of the map and southern italy. Also the Magyars (Hungarians) have started their incursions into the Carpathian plains owned by Bulgaria.

Here is a preview of some of the stuff I have going on:
The map, with the overlay of the 'treaty of meerson' border changes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Meerssen
Note: Balaton is shown as a tributary of East Frankia, but I may leave them independent
71fsZHs.png

######################
###Mod - Europa 871###
######################

#################################################################
###[iw = in work]
###[ns = not started]
###[# = comment for python code]
###[[example begin]
###[iw]
###[*culture_###/kingdom_#* *"culture/faction name"*]
###[*trp_kingdom_#_lord*/*faction leader name*/*name*]
###[*kingdom culture*]
###[religion]
###[example end]
###[]
###[]
#################################################################

####################
###Cultures begin###
####################

###################
###[Implemented]###
###################

culture_norse  "Norse"
culture_saxon  "Saxon"
culture_angle  "Angle"
culture_welsh  "Brittonic"
culture_irish  "Goidelic"
culture_scotch  "Pictish"

#############
###Planned###
#############

culture_breton "Breizh"
culture_frankish "Frankish"
culture_lombard "Lombard"
culture_catalan"Catalonian"
culture_cantabrian "Asturian"
culture_galician "Galician"
culture_basque "Basque"

##################
###Cultures end###
##################

####################
###Factions begin###
####################

###################
###[Implemented]###
###################

iw
kingdom_1 "Kingdom of Danmark"
kingdom_1_lord/Konungr Horik Gottfredsson/Horik Gottfredsson
Norse
pagan

iw
kingdom_2 "Kingdom of Northvegr"
kingdom_2_lord/Konungr Harald Halfdanarson/Harald Halfdanarson
Norse
pagan

iw
kingdom_3 "Kingdom of Laithland"
kingdom_3_lord/Konungr Gudrod Ragnarson/Gudrod Ragnarson
Norse
pagan

iw
kingdom_4 "Kingdom of Friese"
kingdom_4_lord/Konungr Hrorek Hemmingsson/Hrorek Hemmingsson
Norse
pagan/christian

iw
kingdom_5 "Kingdom of Wessex"
kingdom_5_lord/Brytenwalda Aelfred Aethelwulfing/Aelfred Aethelwulfing
Saxon
christian

iw
kingdom_6 "The Danelaw"
kingdom_6_lord/Jarl Halfdan Ragnarsson/Halfdan Ragnarsson
Norse
pagan/christian

iw
kingdom_7 "Kingdom of Mierce"
kingdom_7_lord/Cyning Brugred Beorhtwulfing/Brugred Beorhtwulfing
Angle
christian

iw
kingdom_8 "Kingdom of Northhymbre"
kingdom_8_lord/Cyning Egbert/Egbert
Saxon
christian

iw
kingdom_9 "Kingdom of Gwynedd"
kingdom_9_lord/Ri Rhodri map Merfyn/Rhodri map Merfyn
Brittonic
christian

iw
kingdom_10 "Kingdom of Brycheiniog"
kingdom_10_lord/Ri Elisedd map Tewdr/Elisedd map Tewdr
Brittonic
christian

iw
kingdom_11 "Kingdom of Alt Clut"
kingdom_11_lord/Ri Arthgal map Dumnagual/Arthgal map Dumnagual
Brittonic
christian

iw
kingdom_12 "Kingdom of Breizh"
kingdom_12_lord/Roue Salaun Breizh/Salaun Breizh #note, not sure of what to do about his surname, couldnt find much in the way of information on that.
Breizh
christian

iw
kingdom_13 "Kingdom of Glywyssing"
kingdom_13_lord/Ri Hywel map Rhys/Hywel map Rhys
Brittonic
christian

iw
kingdom_14 "Kingdom of Uladh"
kingdom_14_lord/Ruire Lethlobar mac Loingsig/Lethlobar mac Loingsig
Goidelic
christian

iw
kingdom_15 "Kingdom of Laigin"
kingdom_15_lord/Ruire Dunlaing mac Muiredaig/Dunlaing mac Muiredaig
Goidelic
christian

iw
kingdom_16 "Kingdom of Mumain"
kingdom_16_lord/Ruire Cenn Faelad hua Mugthigirn/Cenn Faelad hua Mugthigirn
Goidelic
christian

iw
kingdom_17 "Kingdom of Connachta"
kingdom_17_lord/Ruire Mugron mac Cothaid/Mugron mac Cothaid
Goidelic
christian

iw
kingdom_18 "Ui Neill of Aileach"
kingdom_18_lord/Ard Ruire Aed mac Niall/Aed mac Niall
Goidelic
christian

iw
kingdom_19 "Kingdom of Mide"
kingdom_19_lord/Ruire Donnchad mac Eochocai/Donnchad mac Eochocai
Goidelic
christian

iw
kingdom_20 "Kingdom of Alban"
kingdom_20_lord/Ruire Causantin mac Cinaeda/Causantin mac Cinaeda
Pictish
christian

iw
kingdom_21 "Tribe of Osraige"
kingdom_21_lord/Ruire Cerball mac Dunlainge/Cerball mac Dunlainge
Goidelic
christian

#############
###Planned###
#############

##########################
###Carolingian Kingdoms###
##########################

ns
kingdom_22 "Kingdom of the West Franks"
kingdom_22_lord/Rex Karl II/Karl #'the bald' not sure of how to Germanize his name
Frankish
christian

ns
kingdom_23 "Kingdom of the East Franks"
kingdom_23_lord/Rex Hlodowik II/Hlodowik #'the German'
Frankish
christian

ns
kingdom_24 "Kingdom of Italy" #could also be called "The Holy Roman Empire" as louis held that title
kingdom_24_lord/Imperator Romanorum Hlodowik II/Hlodowik II #'the Younger' Imperator Italiae
Frankish
christian

########################################
###Southern Italy and Christian Spain###
########################################

ns
kingdom_25 "Principality of Benevento"
kingdom_25_lord/ /
Lombard
christian

ns
kingdom_26 "Principality of Benevento"
kingdom_26_lord/ /
Lombard
christian

ns
kingdom_27 "Kingdom of Asturias"
kingdom_27_lord/ /
Asturian
christian

###########################
###Kingdoms of the Norse###
###########################

ns
kingdom_28 "Kingdom of Adgir"
kingdom_28_lord/ /
Norse
pagan

##################
###Factions end###
##################

And lots of new companions!
A sample of the loooong list of new companions, the scoti companions:

iw
#luthais
npc37
Luthais
highlander
$100
face# 0x00000000100c214926ec6642eaba393400000000001e295c0000000000000000
note:scoto/m
Christian

iw
#padraig
npc38
Padraig
highlander
$100
face# 0x00000003db040087551dc9a4f36958ca00000000001db96c0000000000000000
note:scoto/m
Christian

iw
#diedre
npc39
Deidre
nurse/scout
$free
face# 0x000000020f00000d26a2aad4f3f9ace000000000001eb9600000000000000000
note:scoto/f
Christian

Thanks to Dazzer, Dhamon, Tingyun and Kalarhan for all your contributions! (and anyone I may have forgotten)

Back
Top Bottom