SP Viking Conquest Balance Mod 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Ups, I've done some more reasearch, and I actually found the historiography in which he's named as Imperator Italiae!
The Annales https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k215043h/f112.image#ES
What I've written before it is also correct, in the sense that the Basileus of the Basileia Rhōmaiōn (Easter Roman Empire), Basileios I o Makedhon, didn't like that Hludowicus II used the title Imperator Romanorum, to which Hludowicus replied it was correct since he was crowned in by the Pope.
However seems he liked to be called also Imperator Italiae, or at least it appear so in the Annales Bertiniani. While in the Chronicon of Andreas Bergamos, there is no mention. But notice that both of them call him "Hludowicus". Actually even Luis the German is named as Hludowicus rex Germaniae in the Annales.
Well, in the end, up to you. Imperator Italiae was never an official title, but if it was his appellative in the time, so be it.

Beta 10 for Balance Mod has no bugs reported as yet after over 200 downloads at Moddb, so I'm getting close to concluding it is ready to become the final release.

If anyone has any feedback or problems to report, please do so. Otherwise, I'll turn it into the final release within a week or so.

Beta 10 players will likely not need to redownload the final release, provided no bugs are reported to be fixed, as in that case it will be the same exact files just renamed VC Balance Mod 10.0. The vanilla faster travel speeds and harder renown alternate versions will be released as well, of course, for players who prefer those options.

Tingyun said:
Beta 10 for Balance Mod has no bugs reported as yet after over 200 downloads at Moddb, so I'm getting close to concluding it is ready to become the final release.

If anyone has any feedback or problems to report, please do so. Otherwise, I'll turn it into the final release within a week or so.

Beta 10 players will likely not need to redownload the final release, provided no bugs are reported to be fixed, as in that case it will be the same exact files just renamed VC Balance Mod 10.0. The vanilla faster travel speeds and harder renown alternate versions will be released as well, of course, for players who prefer those options.
unfortunately, i hadnt had a chance to download the beta but glad to hear it is bugs free (for now). very much looking forward to the 10.0 final. thanks a lot.  :smile:

Possible Bug  Aquitanian Skirmishers gold balance extremely high? 120000 peningas for 14 troops 800 peningas per troop
how do I post screenshots here? I have to wait till tomorrow to post. There is a text error of factions showing up as allies to themselves in the announcement.

Muirhied said:
Possible Bug  Aquitanian Skirmishers gold balance extremely high? 120000 peningas for 14 troops 800 peningas per troop

There is an extra zero there, you mean 12000 for 14 of them I think, at around 800 per soldier?

Mercs are more expensive in Balance Mod, but note their price on some factors—I think I remember making low player renown increase the price (but with Balance Mod you no longer need a minimum renown to recruit elite mercs). Mounted and elite mercs are particularly expensive.

Mercs are balanced against faction troops. Depending on finance difficulty level, you’d end up paying a similar amount (or more on higher finance difficulty) to promote up the several promotions to a similar unit, but you’d also need to invest XP and time. Mercs are easier to acquire (only need gold) than faction troops, but have higher wages long term.

Muirhied said:
how do I post screenshots here?

Someone posted a guide here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=378607.0

Muirhied said:
There is a text error of factions showing up as allies to themselves in the announcement.

Hmm, interesting. I’ll look into it, please do post a screenshot, as well as describe any steps to reproduce. Also, do let me know if it is always the case, or has only happened once.

I haven’t modded anything relating to alliances, so I’m curious about what could be going on. Always possible that I messed up something randomly during the update. I’ll probably try to reproduce with vanilla VC as well, to check whether the problem is from Balance Mod or not.

Muirhied said:
Alliances bug
https://imgur.com/VZPSGvy
for this bug its anytime a faction declares war that has allies when the announce screen shows up

I'm having some trouble reproducing this text error, can you post a saved game where an alliance is close to war with it about to occur? I spent a half hour trying without luck. I want to test the saved game on both Balance Mod and vanilla VC installs (they are saved game compatible) to determine whether the text error is from Balance Mod or Vanilla VC.

Muirhied said:
Possible bug 1
https://imgur.com/6wfr72c
I was at the early game when I was looking for troops. and the Aquitanian skirmishers seems a bit high at 800g per troop.

As I mentioned, this isn't a bug, and compared to the cost of promoting a faction unit several promotions to a similar unit, mercs are often actually cheaper at hiring (just cost more to maintain).

Just remembered--I actually made the skirmisher mercs hiring cost cheaper (I don't think mounted skirmishers work well enough in VC to justify their original price).

In vanilla VC, they cost around 1000 per troop (checked just now with a vanilla install), 25% higher than Balance Mod.

Hey sorry about not responding right away was preparing and participating in my extended family's Thanksgiving day gathering. So I will take a screenshot of the next text error I find in my playthrough and try to post the file save. (Not sure on how to upload my save to you so please let me know). Also, I noticed that the allies aren't actually allies in the note tab. just truced with each other which is weird. Northybre is supposed to be allies with Laithland but it just shows up as a truce, not an ally. Which might explain the text error. I'll let you know regardless.

- Muirhied

Hi Muirhied,

I appreciate the help. Mainly, I am trying to determine where the text error comes from.

VC 2.044 has the following in its changelog: “clean up notes list of factions”.

I wonder if there was an error there that created it. Alternatively, I could have created it by messing something up when porting over the 2.044 changes. Basically, the first step to fixing is to figure out if the problem also exists in Vanilla VC or not.

If you are seeing a related problem constantly (the notes being messed up in some way), then that might be easier to check, since it is always present rather than needing to wait for an alliance announcement.

2 alternate ways we could investigate farther:

1) You could post a screenshots of the notes error, together with a detailed description of what it should say instead, and I can try to see if I can reproduce in vanilla VC

Or

2) You could test yourself to see if present in vanilla VC (ie, tell steam to “verify install” or whatever that option is to resinstall vanilla, check to see if same error present, then reinstall Balance Mod afterwards

Either works fine, whichever is easier for you.

Also, just to confirm—this is only a text problem? No bugs in terms of game behavior that you have seen so far? Just want to make sure.

Anyway, once we determine where the bug comes from, then hopefully we should be able to solve it (if from vanilla VC, then perhaps roll back the most recent relevant changes, if from Balance Mod, then find where I made a mistake in porting over the recent changes)

Edit: on how to upload save files, any file sharing or hosting service is fine, whichever is easiest for you.

Playing v10 and I can access inventories of ladies I'm not engaged with.

Do most people like the slower speed? I played a while with it now and I don't see what it adds to the game except spending hours more in a run staring passive at the screen.

incas said:
Playing v10 and I can access inventories of ladies I'm not engaged with.

It is intended (from either 9.0 or 8.0 changelog). The idea is that you can use the function to give gifts, new dresses, or including equipping a lady in full armor and sword if you like.

A prior Balance Mod version let you access lord inventories for the same reason, but that was removed due to the potential for exploitation. However, I still add it back into the alternate harder renown gain version, which functions as my personal version and comes with a warning to exercise self-restraint, as I like giving lords gifts. Still, I think it is rightly removed from the main version and the other alternate versions.

But lady equipment changing doesn’t really open up any exploits beyond stealing dresses, which is sufficiently silly and tedious that I doubt anyone would engage in it, so I felt the positive gift giving option warranted keeping it in.

incas said:
Do most people like the slower speed? I played a while with it now and I don't see what it adds to the game except spending hours more in a run staring passive at the screen.

You can use the fast travel keys, or alter your module.ini file to make time flow faster if you mind the extra time. If you change the timescale in module.ini by a factor of 2, your movement will appear exactly as fast as vanilla (but the day/night cycle will go faster).

Most people have told me after a short period of adjustment they don’t notice or mind the slower movement much, but that is almost certainly going to be subject to individual preferences.

Ok, the advantages of realistic travel speed, and why it is the main version:

- realistic map scale helps immersion. I always found the lightning fast zipping from London to York immersion breaking (but people vary)

- the realistic scale creates a more epic scope, making the map feel larger, and incentivizing the player to think more about travel and paying attention to local affairs.

More important though are the balance improvements. Slowing the travel speed to realistic levels achieves the following:

- better balance between importance of fief-based income relative to other sources, since fief income is a flat weekly amount while profit from trading or looting is essentially cut in half because it is subject to travel speed. This raises the importance of the player fiefs for their economic standing, especially in terms of determining what kind of wages they can support, leading to a better connection between holdings and army size.

- better balance between AI lords and the player, especially in regards to wages. The AI lords and the player both pay troop wages, but the AI lords income is almost entirely (with a few exceptions) based on passive sources independent of travel speed—mainly, income from their fiefs plus a base income. The player on the other hand has much more active income from steps dependent on travel speed.

- help in making other aspects of the game more fun, while avoiding too much of a difficulty drop. For example, Balance Mod slows AI recruiting speed, especially on normal (the recommended campaign AI setting). From this change  an AI lord needs about a full month or more to build a new army after being wiped out, which feels less unrealistic, and more importantly, helps combat the cycle of having to repeadtly stomp the same lords into the ground again and again. Slower travel speed, both the economic balance effects detailed above and the direct result of the slower speed, help to ensure that the AI stays fully competitive.

These balance changes in turn interact with some others—for example, the more elite AI lords armies goes together with the slower AI recruiting, aimed at creating fewer but more exciting and decisive battles, rather than frequent easy battles against AI lords.

So I consider the realistic travel speeds as the better balanced version, as they are a part of changes that help the AI lords compete. But I do support the alternate vanilla travel speeds (and will release a version 10 of it once the beta is over). The alternate vanilla travel speeds version is a bit easier than default Balance Mod, but still harder than vanilla VC (primarily because the vanilla VC AI lords armies are so dominated by low level units that once the player acquires decent units they are easily steamrolled, and because some overpowered/exploitive strategies have been nerfed).

I really appreciate your attention to detail and your extensive posts on any forum!

I agree with many of your points but:

I directly compared playing the early game of the newest vanilla version of VC and the Balance Mod. The latter breaks many quests you can normally do in vanilla. E.g. Looters, bring cargo to X, bring amount of X. In consequence I found it almost impossible to act locally, like you say in your post. It also makes it much harder to find adequate bandit parties. The problem here is that those quests and (in vanilla) size dependent parties are an essential part of the early game.

You make the point that you want to give more scope to stuff like being a merchant. The thing is, it already is basically an early game grind in vanilla and the mod change to travel and weights just penalize it by adding more resource drain instead of adding to it or making it more interesting or dynamic. The spotting nerf goes against your recommendation of more liberal Ctrl-Space.

The balance change of that is a more exaggerated difficulty spike of the early game. Imo better handled in PoP and Awoiaf.

You often bring the argument of equality between player and AI (lords). Isn't that superficial? So many mechanics in the game are player only or AI only. You nerfed e.g. unique items with the argument it's unfair to the AI. That is funny when many of the big difficulties the player faces like morale and relation management is player only. AI troops just get many items out of thin air, not available in any shops. The player needs to steal it from them to gain any access. Fairness between AI and player is not really something you can view on single issues.

The access to ladies inventories is just a role play thing to make gifts? It's definitely a preference but I find the menus get more cluttered by changes like this and the 'manage every town like your own' entries.

-------
Your mod isn't a balance and fix mod anymore. It's really a collection of some fixes and all sorts of tweaks. I think you should be a bit more clear what you want the mod to be.
I can be wrong but I get the feeling you started it as a balance and fix mod but eventually liberally added tweaks suggested to you or in line with your personal play style.
I like the distinction between complete overhaul mods with a unique vision, tweak option mods and fix vanilla mods. It gets to messy if you try to be several things at once. Perhaps you can split the parts up or make more changes optional?

incas said:
bring cargo to X, bring amount of X

Quest time limits are extended to 2x vanilla, so those should be just as easy as vanilla VC even if using the realistic travel speeds version. Check your journal after accepting the quest, you should always have enough time.

Also, Balance Mod makes those quests pay a lot more, so they should be more profitable to do.

incas said:
It also makes it much harder to find adequate bandit parties.

Let’s talk about bandit parties:

Vanilla VC: bandit party size for spawns is based on the player army size when the spawn occurs. Hence, travel with a lot of soldiers, bandit parties are huge, drop the soldiers in camp, the world will start filling up with small parties. This is a subjective, leveled world meant to always offer the player a fitting challenge level, never too hard or too easy. (it doesn’t work well at that though, as player army size is constantly fluctuating with use of camps and garrisons and bandit spawns survive long and block new spawns. There is also a lot of gamey behavior and weird incentives around manipulating spawn sizes to get the world you want, or avoid filling it with tiny parties that make bandit hunting unprofitable, which can happen if the player uses the camp feature and tends to last a long time because of spawn limits. Vanilla Warband instead used player experience level, which I think works a lot better for creating a more consistent leveled world)

Balance Mod: initial bandit party sizes are small at world generation and when the player first starts. Shortly afterwards, they become fully random, weighted towards small sizes being more likely, but having no connection to player army size, experience level, or anything having to do with the player at all. The world is objective, and the player must rely on their judgment to seek out and select appropriate challenges.

So, yes, Balance Mod is certainly harder, but I would also consider it a lot more fun. The world feels dangerous and interesting—you must avoid the parties stronger than you, while seeking out the targets you believe you can handle. It requires more thought and I think is more rewarding than simply having appropriate parties fed to you.

incas said:
You make the point that you want to give more scope to stuff like being a merchant. The thing is, it already is basically an early game grind in vanilla and the mod change to travel and weights just penalize it

The realistic travel speeds don’t affect the early game for merchants too much. Being a merchant is still INSANELY profitable. So little of a merchant’s costs are wages/food as they travel the dorested wine/jewelry - wool trade route, instead basically all the costs are the investment in goods and ship purchase, which are fixed, so that really for a given investment of human effort progress is basically the same (except for on the map, but as mentioned quick travel keys or changing timescale can change that if desired). Now, in game time twice as much time will have passed, so the months will tick away more quickly, but that shouldn’t feel bothersome to the player, on the contrary, it should feel more immersive.

And for the player whose early game is instead based on warfare and looting? Well, the Balance Mod loot changes (primarily, fixing the Warband kill order loot glitch, which means the better swords and armor will not be crowded out by peasant gear anymore when loot is plentiful), the guaranteed ship capture chance, and Balance Mod raising the sale price the player gets from prisoners should make looting more profitable in terms of player time, more than counterbalancing the wages when measured against player time, while again, only slower when measured against the in game calander.

On troop training? I increased the Xp player soldiers get for kills (+50% if I remember correctly). So again half as many battles in game time, but more progress per battle for leveling up your troops, so faster from the player perspective in real world time.

So in the end, from the perspective of real world player time investment, things in the early game should progress at similar or slightly faster speeds than vanilla VC.

From the perspective of the in-game calander, things will be slower, but that is irrelevant to the sense of “grind”, and indeed creates a more immersive result.

incas said:
You often bring the argument of equality between player and AI (lords). Isn't that superficial? So many mechanics in the game are player only or AI only.

AI lords pay wages to their troops based on a scale almost identical to the player, and receive income from fiefs + base income to pay these wages.

So for wage/income matters the balance between player and AI lords is quite linked. It is also quite critical, as the essential late-game challenge is based on the results—the balance between AI lord army size and composition and player army size and composition. That is the central balance of late-game Warband.

Now, to clarify, the point is not anything like “equality.” The player will make far more money than the AI, and is supposed to, as Warband is essentially the 0 to hero story of the player’s rise.

The whole purpose of this wage/income balancing act, together with the balance of other aspects of AI recruiting, is achieving the most fun late-game challenge. So all of the changes are about the relative benefits to player vs AI in order to nudge the balance to the most fun result.

Specifically:

Balance Mod: late-game the player will be able to field slightly less elite troops until he has more fiefs. The AI will still largely have armies made up of recruits, but will get many more elites than vanilla VC, and so be able to pose a greater challenge. However, they will recruit slower, so you will have to defeat them fewer times than vanilla VC. The result is fewer, more decisive, more challenging and fun battles.

Every economic change is in the service of nudging to that result. So when I say __ change shifts the balance in ___ way, it isn’t about some idea of abstract equality, it is about the relative effects on player and AI that achieve the desired result for fun and well-matched late-game battles.

incas said:
You nerfed e.g. unique items with the argument it's unfair to the AI.

I nerfed Orms lorrica, and the ability to improve gloves to hardened, because they meant that player armor rating became much higher than the AI, unduly reducing the challenge by putting passive armor rating rather than player skill as the central determinant of personal combat success.

That has nothing to do with any idea of fairness to a computer program of course. Balance between armor ratings achievable by AI and player is about preserving challenge, nothing more.

Now, I actually strengthened a ton of unique items, especially several of the unique swords. Because I wanted them to be nice rewards for a player who earned them, and so in Balance Mod every unique sword is competive with the best weapons in some way (usually with tradeoffs to others, like higher speed vs damage). In vanilla VC some unique swords were plain bad, and most of them were inferior to the better Irish swords.

The result is a player that through work can earn moderately better weapons and armor than any AI troops can. But gone are the hardened gloves of vanilla VC where a few hundred gold gets a significantly higher armor than AI troops, or the Orms Lorrica that essentially operates as a serious reduction in the combat difficulty with no real tradeoffs.

incas said:
Your mod isn't a balance and fix mod anymore. It's really a collection of some fixes and all sorts of tweaks.... Perhaps you can split the parts up or make more changes optional?

Balance Mod’s scope has always been pretty broad, at least since version 2.0, when I made bandit party sizes independent of player army size. Since it was discussed above, let’s keep using it as an example:

That change was certainly a gameplay tweak, and it was driven by a particular gameplay preference—dislike of “leveled worlds” where difficulty of enemies is always based on player strength, to prevent anything from being too challenging or too easy. I much prefer an objective world, where the player must intelligently pick and choose their battles and where a more real sense of progression is possible as the player grows in strength.

Now, many players agree with me on hating leveled worlds—for example, elder scrolls Oblivion received very popular mods aimed at deleving the world (and many jokes about bandits wearing daedric armor), and in response to the criticism the world leveling was toned down greatly in Skyrim.

But other players prefer to have the game hold their hands more, and tailor challenges to all be just right for their strength. Hence why leveled worlds are popular in game design, especially among more casual players.

But every game or mod must be driven by a design philosophy, and can’t aim to please everybody. Leveled worlds is just one example among dozens of important and debatable game design issues on which Balance Mod has had to pick a side.

That process has been done with massive community feedback, ranging from discussion here, at nexus, at reddit, and over private messages. Nexus has around 250 messages in the Balance Mod discussion, here there are almost 500, and reddit has even more (just the Berserker changes thread at reddit was nearly a 100 messages debating various aspects if I remember correctly). Now, that community feedback skews to veteran players, and the result is a harder game than vanilla VC, but I’d imagine that is ideal in a game that has been out as long as VC has. As for optional versions—I maintain 3 main versions and several optional add-ons. That really is the limit of what is feasible. But even Balance Mod users who like hundreds of the changes probably all can point to a couple they personally don’t like, and while I’ve tried to maintain alternate versions and optional add ons for some of the more controversial changes, that reaches a limit of feasibility. Balance Mod has always been a mod rather than a “community patch”, and while I’d love to make everything modular, it really isn’t practical.

Thank you for giving such a detailed response. All in all I agree very much with your approach and goals. Except I'm still not convinced with slowing an already slow game down and implementing only cosmetic role play stuff. The way to the mid game feels more smooth in vanilla but your right the mod does other changes that help in this regard as well.

Regarding leveled world I agree in principle, though I think the best balance was in Baldur's Gate 2 with static encounters and a certain chunk of level dependant random encounters.

The item nerfs you describe I agree with. It's a bit ridiculous how gloves add so much armor in vanilla. Orm's Lorrica I don't care about, story mode is unplayable for me.

And don't get me wrong, I don't want an easier game. I appreciate challenge and my favorite mods are the most difficult. I'm in an noreload run with your mod and your recommended settings. I'll give more feedback as I'm playing on.

incas said:
Thank you for giving such a detailed response. All in all I agree very much with your approach and goals. Except I'm still not convinced with slowing an already slow game down... but your right the mod does other changes that help in this regard as well.

I would appreciate any feedback—the goal is for the early game to progress at a similar speed to vanilla VC in real-world time, and slower only in terms of in-game calander time, but whether that works out in practice is probably playstyle dependent and can always be subject to improvement.

I realized I hadn’t provided specifics in the previous reply, so to aid with any feedback here are the details on the looting changes mentioned: Balance Mod increases the ship capture chance from vanilla VC’s 10-20% to a full 100%, increases prisoner sale prices by around 2x to 3x or so, and makes the “see all loot” option actually do just that and show everything (rather than provide a flat multiplier as in vanilla VC) (but at the price of increased base morale penalty to use so looking becomes less of a default choice and more of a selective option based on judgment that the enemies likely have valuable equipment). But the biggest increase is probably preventing the Warband glitch where low level troop loot crowds out high level troop loot...it is difficult to describe the effects exactly, but in most battles in vanilla VC where you selected “see all loot” and filled the loot box, the glitch was operating, and that accounts for the rarity of high level armor and swords like ulfberht swords in vanilla VC loot (the glitch triggers much more commonly in vanilla VC than Warband, because of the “see all loot” option giving a 4x loot multiplier in vanilla VC, which overflows the loot buffer easily, despite it being somewhat larger than the loot you are shown). Finally, the Balance Mod +50% kill xp bonus should operate for all kills by normal soldiers (but not companions or player), so level ups from combat should come faster (I thought combat level ups were a bit slow relative to passive companion training skill level ups in Vanilla VC).

But if the map time does bother you, do try the following edit:

Open module.ini, find the entry marked time_multiplier, and change it from .25 to .5 (doubling it). That will make the in-game time flow faster while keeping the same movement rate, so everything should appear to double speed relative to real world time, while in-game time remains realistic.

Of course, in a week or two the final version should be released and you will have the option of returning to the alternate vanilla travel speeds version, if that ends up being your preference.

incas said:
and implementing only cosmetic role play stuff.

The lady equipment change option does probably only appeal to a minority of players, but it seems important to them. I had initially added the conversation option in an early Balance Mod version, and removed it in a later version, which was followed by many player comments over at reddit asking for it to be restored.

I should note I also added a conversation option to see lord skills. This one should be pretty important to use—in vanilla VC it wasn’t needed because all lords were clones to each other, but in Balance Mod their skills can vary quite a bit (some based on history, but a lot just random variation), so it can be useful to check.

incas said:
Regarding leveled world I agree in principle, though I think the best balance was in Baldur's Gate 2 with static encounters and a certain chunk of level dependant random encounters.

Hmm, that is somewhat linked to a storyline, but I tried to give some semblance of this—in earlier versions, spawns were completely random at all times, but in version 9.0, I made all initial world generation spawns and all spawns while the player is level 1 be forced to be very small. Because small bandit parties survive pretty well, using their movement to escape, there should be a few guaranteed targets out there for a starting player. But sometimes the lords in an area do a good job of cleaning their part of the map out, such is the random nature of the Warband sandbox.

incas said:
I'll give more feedback as I'm playing on.

That will be much appreciated.

Also, if you end up seeing the alliance notes text issue noted by Muirheed a few posts above, please do let me know, and provide a saved game if possible. That is really the last roadblock to moving out of beta and making a final release.

No bugs found.

You know what would be a nice addition, faction blacksmiths like in Awoiaf. It rubs me the wrong way that you must kill your own faction members to get the good equipment. Being a member and good relations with a faction should be enough to purchase their equipment.

Edit: With the time_multiplier change the game became a lot more enjoyable again. But you broke the balance completely of the rest mechanic. I know you're change is more realistic with travel in geography in mind but the game play mechanic of moral decay without rest is imo abhorrent after the change. Many people deactivate it in vanilla VC. I didn't mind it but I can't play with it anymore with the much shorter day cycle.

Hello Tingyun,

I took a break from M&B for a bit, last version I had installed was 5.0 I think. I tried out the 10.0 beta right away and I like most of the subtle (and not so subtle) changes.

One new mechanic I'm really confused about though: the change to horse speeds when taking damage. Does any of the AI factions rely so heavily on mounted troops that this adjustment was necessary? Mounted troops aren't really a staple of most army compositions I think, they were always hard to train and keep alive, cause most of the time they are the first to suicide into the enemy shield wall. Considering that almost every single unit has some sort of ranged attack they got dehorsed pretty quickly on top of that.

If this was solely done to shut down the players ability to lance 50 troops per battle, then I'm not sure whether this change was for the better. Players who relied on this tactic and had fun with it will be annoyed and players like me, who used horses to serve as a distraction (splitting up troops and so on) got robbed of strategic options. I really don't see anyone winning here, the only effect is that gameplay got even more streamlined towards all-melee combat. Since the change to the Pictish crossbows (should have reduced the damage instead of making it cutting) we have no real way to break a shield wall anymore and with this new addition every battle is just 2 big blobs of melee units slowly advancing towards each other.

If you go up against Norse armies (with the most broken unit ingame atm, the Norse Warrior Archer), you can just forget about getting up on your horse, cause a single arrow hit will most likely slow you down to 50% already. After that it won't be long before you turn into a sitting duck. Those archers fire at a rate where 10-20 of them will completely shut you down on your horse, no matter your riding skills. Just bring 50 archers along and see how many enemy horses will reach your frontline.

If we're talking realism then yes, a horse would slow down from getting (seriously) hit. Problem is, the same logic would have to be applied to foot troops then and that would slow every battle down to a crawl, so that one's out. As long as a melee unit at 5% hp can retreat a inhuman speeds (to the point where your damaged horse will not be able to keep up!), we really shouldn't go overboard with adjustments that make the game more "realistic". At the end of the day I'm playing this to have fun and not to pretend I'm a medieval badass. As it stands, I feel that this change took away tactical options and didn't really add anything, cause it's a pseudo-realism which just doesn't match up with the rest of the existing mechanics.

incas said:
Many people deactivate it in vanilla VC. I didn't mind it but I can't play with it anymore with the much shorter day cycle.

I always play with rest affects morale, and haven’t had any problems doing so, despite going many days without rest back to back. It might be a matter of how close you are getting to your absolute party max—morale becomes fairly punishing in VC if you drift too close to that max, and you are meant to operate closer to the “completely control” number. The companion leadership affects party size mechanic is in turn designed to allow you to get to higher army sizes. With much larger armies, the morale boosts you can get from certain units and the army train can also help., and with small and nimble parties, the frequent combat keeps it up, as long as you let them have a decent share of loot. But certainly, morale does become more challenging with the realistic travel speeds (I should have the vanilla speed and final release versions out in a week or two).

DeSoto said:
I took a break from M&B for a bit, last version I had installed was 5.0 I think. I tried out the 10.0 beta right away and I like most of the subtle (and not so subtle) changes.

Nice to see you again DeSoto!

DeSoto said:
One new mechanic I'm really confused about though: the change to horse speeds when taking damage. Does any of the AI factions rely so heavily on mounted troops that this adjustment was necessary?...If this was solely done to shut down the players ability to lance 50 troops per battle, then I'm not sure whether this change was for the better.

Yah, you guessed it.

Specifically, horse slowing with damage was the anti-me change. I balanced a lot of overpowered things, and yet I had left alone my own pet behavior, mounted/solo slaying of vikingr bands for silly profit, and riding up to cut down AI lords while they give their opening speeches.

DeSoto said:
Since the change to the Pictish crossbows (should have reduced the damage instead of making it cutting)

It was a hard decision, but it really wasn’t about the crossbows specifically. Either I was going to make all bows/arrows piercing, or I was going to make pict crossbows cutting to make the same as VC arrows. The crossbows the picts likely had at this time wouldn’t justify the difference with bows.

In the end, it was a general conservative approach to balancing that led to the latter, as it would have been a broader balance change to make bows arrows piercing, and I’d have needed to carefully test out a damage decease for them. I also had some doubts about the armor piercing capabilities of the arrows of this time anyway.

DeSoto said:
...[excerpting some other good arguments by DeSoto]...
If we're talking realism then yes, a horse would slow down from getting (seriously) hit. Problem is, the same logic would have to be applied to foot troops then and that would slow every battle down to a crawl, so that one's out.

Ok, you’ve pretty much convinced me, especially since someone discovered a bug where a fresh horse could retain the slower speed of a discarded mount.

I’ll plan on removing horse slowing with damage from the final version, unless someone makes a convincing argument otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom