Videos & Sreenshots

Users who are viewing this thread

They look great so far! Though the uniform itself is too shiny to be able to see the details. The kiver shako looks a bit weird somehow... But I can't tell what's wrong. It just looks... weird. Looks great though, the quality of the uniforms are starting to match up with their French, British and Prussian counterparts.

Backpack belts are doing this shiny effect, i need to make a better texture, specularmap and correct settings inside the brf. The shako i understand what you mean, i never got the exact idea of it's shape, multiple sources shows multiple shapes ! Old plates of the 19c shows the shako has a very round and disorted shape, this is on most russian drawings i got anyways. Other sources shows the shako is not that different from the french or prussian one, it's very difficult to make it correct. I'll rework the model when i have time, it has that particular shape that cannot be confused with a prussian or french shako, and i think it looks nice for now.

I'm still a terrible texturer when it comes to folding on jackets etc. in fact it's a lot easier on larger models like the russian coat i just finished, because folds are larger, easier to fade in the texture itself, not to mention i now understand the correct way of creating uniforms seems, a thin black line over a wider white line makes a good separations between the different parts of the uniform and prevent it to look blank ingame. I also learned to use photoshop better with brushes properties and spacing, that makes nice fabric effects here and there...
russiancoat.jpg

russiancoatb.jpg

At the beginning of the 1812 campaign, there were two models of shako in use. The 1812 model had the concave roof with the front rising slightly higher than the rear, while the 1807 model being replaced was slightly taller and level on top. In 1809, cords were added to the existing design. The 1812 model has become a complete cultural icon and was the regulation-prescribed model, so it gets more attention in retrospect.

Here's a side-by-side from Regular Infantry 1801-1855, Oleg Parkhayev illustrating
YA4Vohi.jpg

1. musketeer's shako, 1807.
2. jaeger officer's shako, 1809.
3. ranker Guardsman's shako of a third battalion company, 1809.
4. grenadier officer's shako, 1809.
5. grenadier's shako of the third battalion's grenadier company, 1812.
The artist has taken the opportunity to show both the leather and metal scale chinstraps, the rare cord-hooks, and the folding neck-guard. You might want to ignore those for simplicity's sake, especially if the focus is on 1812.

Where do you get all those pics ^^ ? I spent days without finding anything useful, everything was showing something different, this was really an exhausting search ! Thank you very much. To show my gratitude here's a preview of my russian jaegers ! I'm sure design is accurate to some extent, however i'll make a variant with the trouser gaiter instead of the current one with the russian false boots.
47C712A092FF0AA6465F6CAF6E2249F82BDA2E1A

8F68E7206E9F67189CB523F2CE457E53D7C30C6F

56878AF105A70006B3D750C2E6A972B5F8896A23

9BA6C546B6A68005C8BDC4BD9B4EBAF9487A7B8E

208F555246BF757D7A604EA0F2986EE58025876C

E16AE4DBE8837AF874C6F7BA142651752C35978A
I realize the plumes were not part of the campaign dress too, but i think it deserves, for the sake of russian style, (which i find somewhat better than some french troops actually), to wear them ingame ! Most uniforms i implement are campaign dress, but not everything, and not all of them, because it looks nice i must admit...

Same here  :smile:... I always liked Napoleonic Era infantry fighting in Parade Uniforms XD. They look so much cooler.

There's some debate as to whether Russian grenadiers wore plumes in battle and on campaign, and I'm really tempted to say the grenadier companies of the Jaeger battalions (also called carabinier companies) definitely should not, but then again, the Jaegers often fought in tight line-formation like regular infantry, so they didn't exactly need to hide in the bushes all too often  :lol:

Regular Jaeger companies didn't wear plumes though. They look good otherwise.

So if i create a troop called russian carbabinier or carbineer it would be correct ? I don't know much about russian army layout, and the books i just got are in russian, i'm learning, but i can't read that much xD !

my current troop tree for russians is pretty simple, it's nothing but a test: musketeer leads to grenadier and jaeger, then both leads to veterans (might change this to guard infantry), and then to pavlosk grenadier or dragoons for jaeger upgrade.

French infantry is divided into tree different companies and two main army corps, light and line, then you have fusilier, grenadier, voltigeur, or chasseur, carabinier, voltigeur leger. Is that the same for russia ?

Allow me to a little help. The Carabinieri would not be good to name, because the name was added to the designation of the Carabinieri Russian Grenadier Jaeger Regiment (special designation grenadiers).The best for your good and simple way to check with a certificate, for example by infantry regiments  http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armée_russe_durant_la_Guerre_patriotique
In simple terms, this rangers arrows - jaegers, infantry regiments is the first link, and the musketeers and grenadiers - heavy infantry, grenadiers and is the last, and a veteran guard, by analogy, in simplified form.

Basically from 1810 onward, every infantry battalion had three regular companies and one elite company, and the elite company was broken into a light (yellow pompons) and heavy platoon (red pompons). Musketeer, grenadier, and jaeger battalions all used different terms for these various companies but they were functionally the same.

A regular infantry battalion had a "grenadier company" with "grenadiers" and "shooters" (strelki), and then three "infantry companies" with homogenous platoons of musketeers.
A grenadier battalion (or actually, a "fusilier battalion" of a grenadier regiment) had a "grenadier company" with "grenadiers" and "shooters", and then three "fusilier companies" with homogenous platoons of fusiliers.
A jaeger battalion had a "carabinier company" with "grenadiers" and "shooters", and then three "jaeger companies" with homogenous platoons of jaegers.

Elite Company
Light Ptln. Heavy Ptln
Regular Company
Regular Pltn. Regular Ptln
Regular Company
Regular Company
Heavy infantry battalions still had light platoons, and light infantry battalions still had heavy platoons. The idea was to smooth out the differences in the interest of tactical flexibility.

The elite companies were full of good soldiers with clean records, simple enough. The "strelkovyy" platoon had the best shooters, and the grenadier platoon had the biggest and/or toughest men who would supposedly excel in a bayonet fight. The grenadier regiments however recruited from the elite companies of the regular regiments (every regular infantry regiment donated 6 grenadiers and 9 shooters annually), so a "fusilier" was as good as if not better than a grenadier from the line. And a grenadier of a grenadier regiment was even better. The infantry of the Guard recruited from everyone and had first pick so to speak, so they were roughly the best of the best... in theory. There were always a few gentlemen-rankers who got by just as much on their political connections as their soldiery, but for the most part, we're talking about serfs who were conscripted and put through the military machine - some sank and some swam.

The problem with the skirmishers was that the Jaeger regiments did not recruit from the "strelki" platoons of the regular line to assemble elite sharpshooters, as you might expect. They received conscripts directly from the drafts, so they had to start from scratch with every man, and once most of their rifles were taken away in June 1808 (leaving only NCOs and 12 hand-picked men from each company with rifled muskets) they became inferior to most other nations' light infantry. A general lack of experience among the officers of these sharpshooters meant that training was sub-par, and the doctrine was not well conveyed to the men who had to apply it on the field. The overall culture in the army favoured the bayonet, and thus the grenadier-grenadiers with the red pompons were showered with praise, while the short little sharpshooters were neglected and trivialized, or "promoted' into a position where they no longer got to skirmish.

I won't try comparing this system to the French one, I'll only confuse myself. Strelki is sometimes translated as "voltigeurs" but I think that causes more problems than it solves.

Interesting, i'll be sure to keep this in mind and rework the troop tree. although i admit that to my understanding the term "jaeger" or "jager" for prussia was always, just like the french tirailleur or voltigeur, elite like units. At least good shooters recognized for their skill, sharpshooters even. It feels odd to make russian jaegers as the very start of russian line infantry troop tree, (if i understood correctly anyways), but who am i to argue on military organization ^^ !

The Siege of Gent, where the British sent mere recruits to the slaughter. It was an easy victory, really.  :wink:
mb4yd.jpg
mb5s.jpg

Well, when you have that much cuirassiers waiting on the walls and voltigeurs on the towers, recruits are indeed useless ...

Well, perhaps they sent recruits to test our defences before they send in the main army! Oh wait, that was their main army.  :lol:

The campaign map will be introduced in the next release, which apparently does not have a release date because Keryyn is really busy with lots of stuff. :smile:

finally the scene is finished!
i have to say it has two problems...
the first is when you begin some defending troops (maybe 7 or :cool:
sally forth heroically :neutral: to face death. thay are dead in the first
two minutes. as much as i tried, i couldn't find out what caused this.
and the second one is at the end of the battle, the defenders go "out"
of range for melle fighting. this was because i didn't know i had to place
the defenders a little more inside the main battle.
to correct this would mean that i should do pretty much the scene all over.
the good thing is that they get shot after a while :mrgreen:.

anyway the  scene gave me the most enjoyed siege till now.although it isn't difficult to
win if you are the attacker.

(i had to remove a separate battle, a smaller one than the main assault
because it didn't go well with the a.i handling both)

if anyone would like to try it, i would be happy to send it to you.
with instructions on how to put it. :grin: :grin: -i will start tommorow on a new scene!

i'll start a star fortress. i'll look into photos, and
sources. i didn't find any good source on napoleonic siege warfare though.

if someone has something like a source, photographs, paintings in the territory depicted
on the mod i'll be obliged!

Back
Top Bottom