[Video test-Debate-Poll] Bot Idle animations in closed-order formation.

Do you think this kind of animations needs more love?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Grandmaster Knight
I don't know what you guys think but don't you think the bots look listless when in formation; I mean without a proper combat attitude?

If we look back to Warband or VC we see that the units maintain a proactive combat pose while waiting for an order, many with the shield in guard mode; certainly something that makes the game very immersive in my eyes. In contrast in Bannerlord and despite the closed order layout of the units, the bots' attitude in standby mode is far too nonchalant.

phWkI.jpg

This is why I have set up the different idle animations (stand + weapon) with other animations that are much more attractive and immersive in my opinion. Watch please this video test:

The video test is a visual conceptualisation to feed the debate we are dealing with here. I'm talking about less nonchalant "idle animation types", as you will understand, I'm not going to be able to implement 5 or 6 variants of the same style to make it more natural in the formation

Weapons with shield: Shield in guard position + weapon at the ready. Axes: Leaning on the shoulder. Polearms: Two-handed in vertical position. If you look at the PC when it stops, these new idles are activated as well.

My question is, do you think this kind of animations needs more love? I open a debate and a poll to measure the general interest.

Last edited:
tbh i prefer the way they have it. Though i'd like it if they went to the second as the enemy say reached within 200-250 meters

I don't know what you guys think but don't you think the bots look listless when in formation; I mean without a proper combat attitude?

If we look back to Warband or VC we see that the units maintain a proactive combat pose while waiting for an order, many with the shield in guard mode; certainly something that makes the game very immersive in my eyes. In contrast in Bannerlord and despite the closed order layout of the units, the bots' attitude in standby mode is far too nonchalant.

phWkI.jpg

This is why I have set up the different idle animations (stand + weapon) with other animations that are much more attractive and immersive in my opinion. Watch please this video test:

Weapons with shield: Shield in guard position + weapon at the ready. Axes: Leaning on the shoulder. Polearms: Two-handed in vertical position. If you look at the PC when it stops, these new idles are activated as well.

My question is, do you think this kind of animations needs more love? I open a debate and a poll to measure the general interest.

Yep, it's the whatever formation for native Bannerlord.

It would look so weird to have guys with shields and spears at the high-ready at the start of a battle when the enemy is still 200+ meters away. Like, dude, what are you afraid of hitting you?

The wind?
tbh i prefer the way they have it. Though i'd like it if they went to the second as the enemy say reached within 200-250 meters
Yeah, that's the way they do it now: shields and weapons in the carry position. It looks more like actual dudes who just finished forming up, with natural stances, instead of the Hollywood-style "I'm going to just hold up this weapon for minutes straight, because my arms never get tired."

phWkI.jpg

I kinda like it as it is but as soon as the enemy is sighted one of the soldiers or some could call out something like "there they are" or anything indicating they have spotted the enemies and then get into battle stance.

I like that you guys feel motivated to debate and share your thoughts in this regard.

There are plenty of pictorial manifestations where the armies are represented with attitudes closer to the suggestion of modification than with the " nonchalant " attitudes of the Native. Hollywood has done a lot of harm, but one only has to look at countless manuscripts, frescoes and other pictorial manifestations to see a certain parallelism. That is what I would like to see reflected in Bannerlord.

xenRs.jpg

It has been mentioned that the units in the native adopt a "combat attitude" when the lines are close to the enemy. Well, here's a video comparing native with the suggested modification; your conclusions are yours ? ?.

And I ask myself in an exercise of meditation (with some irony on my part :iamamoron:), if a Fiann/Falxman can have enough strength in his arms to maintain that 2h guard pose in the native; what prevents its same implementation in terms of the other poses with more "battle attitude"?

I like that you guys feel motivated to debate and share your thoughts in this regard.

There are plenty of pictorial manifestations where the armies are represented with attitudes closer to the suggestion of modification than with the " nonchalant " attitudes of the Native. Hollywood has done a lot of harm, but one only has to look at countless manuscripts, frescoes and other pictorial manifestations to see a certain parallelism. That is what I would like to see reflected in Bannerlord.

xenRs.jpg

It has been mentioned that the units in the native adopt a "combat attitude" when the lines are close to the enemy. Well, here's a video comparing native with the suggested modification; your conclusions are yours ? ?.

And I ask myself in an exercise of meditation (with some irony on my part :iamamoron:), if a Fiann/Falxman can have enough strength in his arms to maintain that 2h guard pose in the native; what prevents its same implementation in terms of the other poses with more "battle attitude"?

+1000. Anything that you suggest I approve Terco. You do your due diligence, as always.

Spearmen actually pointing their spears upwards when idle and far from combat looks sooo much better when they are in formation!
These idle animations plus banners must look absolutely awesome.

For swordsmen, I like both the suggested and native animations though I would prefer if they held their weapons alongside their legs like in Total War:
rome2_2015-01-25_07-19-35-08.jpg

Overall, I agree with
Ideally, a bit of both would be great. Lower tier troops can be more casual, while top tier ones will be more disciplined.

Except for spears, they should always be pointed towards the sky when idle and not about to fight.

Edit: For long 2 handed polearms, I wish they used the town guard idle animation:
20201102131751_1.jpg

Hollywood has done a lot of harm, but one only has to look at countless manuscripts, frescoes and other pictorial manifestations to see a certain parallelism. That is what I would like to see reflected in Bannerlord.
That people supposed to be on a battlefield look like in painting?

edit: It probably just comes across as odd to me than you because I've been on a drill field and know it takes a lot of attention and energy to keep ranks covered and dressed in perfect alignment. It's the last thing I'd do on a battlefield before a fight and screams, "Make it look pretty for the camera!"

Spearmen actually pointing their spears upwards when idle and far from combat looks sooo much better when they are in formation!
These idle animations plus banners must look absolutely awesome.

For swordsmen, I like both the suggested and native animations though I would prefer if they held their weapons alongside their legs like in Total War:
rome2_2015-01-25_07-19-35-08.jpg

Overall, I agree with

Except for spears, they should always be pointed towards the sky when idle and not about to fight.

Edit: For long 2 handed polearms, I wish they used the town guard idle animation:
20201102131751_1.jpg
I certainly tried that animation and it is very good, however in the end I didn't incorporate it because in my eyes it "broke" with the forward left leg pose with which the other animations are articulated.

That people supposed to be on a battlefield look like in painting?

edit: It probably just comes across as odd to me than you because I've been on a drill field and know it takes a lot of attention and energy to keep ranks covered and dressed in perfect alignment. It's the last thing I'd do on a battlefield before a fight and screams, "Make it look pretty for the camera!"
Ok, your position is clear to me :lol:

It seems an interesting approach but I somehow prefer the nonchalant style when troops are idling.
On the other hand, I would appreciate the possiblity to shout out at the troops "Form ranks (you maggots :wink:)!!" and make them stand like your proposal.
And maybe after some seconds, if no further action is taken, the troops would come back to nonchalant attitude.

That modified idle position would certainly help shielded units against ranged attacks since current idle animation makes them very open.

That modified idle position would certainly help shielded units against ranged attacks since current idle animation makes them very open.
Definitely, it is a defensive pose and therefore the approach manoeuvres can be more interesting in this regard imho . Unlike your mod (which I hold in high esteem, you know) there is no direct blocking when advancing in formation but that "passive" blocking of the same pose of the modified idle animation. Take a look at this new test, at the beginning the troops march in line formation; I don't execute any shield block at any time, the troops do (notice that when they do so they put down their swords). When the allied troops reach the short distance to the enemy is when the shieldwall order is executed, where by default the guard block is active.

Exactly how I envisioned it as well.

Great topic as usual Terco
Thanks my friend ? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom