Video demonstrating the power of Calvary

Users who are viewing this thread

BushDweller said:
Unfortunately when I do triple, people get in the way of a lot of soldiers, leaving them to not shoot. So I would get half my army not shooting because someone is on front of them

That's the point of this tactic. You don't won all you men to be with empty firearms before cavalry comes in melee range. In real battles from this period the common cavalry tactic is to come in max range of infantry to provoke voley and if infantry makes mistake to fire... they come closer and kill them. If you have 4 rows and only first 2 fire volley, then when cavalry stars melle with tnem the 3th and 4th rows set on fire on will will fire from point blank range to not moving enemies...

General K said:
My issue isn't actually oddly when they are mounted. It is when they are dismounted from being beaten to death. That is when they are a problem lol. The chaos commences with the sabres hehe

If your man stand closer and in more then 2 rows every dismounted enemy was surrounded by 4-5-6 mans and die... The bigger problem are dismonted enemies with fire arms that shot from close range to your close formation and almost can't miss.

gallandro said:
General K said:
My issue isn't actually oddly when they are mounted. It is when they are dismounted from being beaten to death. That is when they are a problem lol. The chaos commences with the sabres hehe

If your man stand closer and in more then 2 rows every dismounted enemy was surrounded by 4-5-6 mans and die... The bigger problem are dismonted enemies with fire arms that shot from close range to your close formation and almost can't miss.

That is true to a degree. Works majority of the time.

After some more testing I thik that balace between bayonet and sable can be done if dammage form bayonet is bigger then sable damage, but speed of the bayonet is very slow. Then if there is several bots with bayonets fight with one with sable they will be very dangerous, but in one vs one combat they will be helpless.

Form a damn anti-cav square... It works for me every time.  And cavalry should be able to slaughter infantry standing in a thin line, by the way.

Do not look here said:
Really? I'm pretty sure I've received extra damage to horse because of bracing twice already in my short military career of sometimes-Ułan with lots of lame horses in backpack.
That´s a different feature. Whenever the AI manages to hit a horse with a thrust attack it deals extra damage. The other feature means that any horse that comes in contact with them while they are still bracing their weapons dies instantly.

If you want to deal with the cavalry fairly easy then go pure fusiliers or grenadiers, as they have bayonets.

With riflemen, it's a bit different. When the battle start immediately go F3+F2(you are too slow in that regard), and then F2+F3(Tripple Rank), then order them TWICE to get closer to each other, i believe it's F2+F7. When the enemy cavalry get past that ridge/road or however you call it, order a volley, rifleman are very accurate and a lot of cavalry will either lose their horses or outright die. Your riflemen should then be ready to fire another volley when the enemy is almost upon you, then even more will fall. Clean the rest with melee. Of course you have to help, i kill at least 30 enemies in a battle.

I go with 1803 Officer Sabre or however it's called and Duelling Pistol(it's very accurate and it does a lot of damage + i have like 270 skill in it so i don't miss even on extreme ranges :razz:). I hope this will improve your odds. Still you should expect heavy losses.

Takeda Shingen said:
I go with 1803 Officer Sabre or however it's called and Duelling Pistol(it's very accurate and it does a lot of damage + i have like 270 skill in it so i don't miss even on extreme ranges :razz:). I hope this will improve your odds. Still you should expect heavy losses.

Imperial Foot Grenadier Officer Sabre is the best. 40c damage, 100 reach, 90 speed.

As someone who's been using British line infantry, the best strategy I've found to tackle a huge cavalry charge is firstly use cav your self and counter charge in a better formation or send in some crappy cuttthroats or pirates first on a different troop selection; to tangle the cav up and make it a shooting contest.

Using thick formations would seem to be a smart thing to do but firstly the a.i. horses are suicidal and won't rear up and secondly even if you switch to melee the a.i. soldiers won't brace their spears. So you're guaranteed a bloodbath every time and the best thing to do is melee charge. If a musket ball takes out a horse the rider gets up in a second is essentially turned into a swordsman, so perhaps you could add some script to make them take damage. At the battle of waterloo only the most skilled French cuirassier could make there horse get in range of a square formation for sword time hence why it was a turning point in the battle. But nevertheless cavalry was overpowered in real life and the British still took huge casualties. But this was also balanced by the fact cav had a massive upkeep. It was like the French charging the British with ferrari's so perhaps the game could be balanced in that financial aspect as well.

Jabinji said:
As someone who's been using British line infantry, the best strategy I've found to tackle a huge cavalry charge is firstly use cav your self and counter charge in a better formation or send in some crappy cuttthroats or pirates first on a different troop selection; to tangle the cav up and make it a shooting contest.

Using thick formations would seem to be a smart thing to do but firstly the a.i. horses are suicidal and won't rear up and secondly even if you switch to melee the a.i. soldiers won't brace their spears. So you're guaranteed a bloodbath every time and the best thing to do is melee charge. If a musket ball takes out a horse the rider gets up in a second is essentially turned into a swordsman, so perhaps you could add some script to make them take damage. At the battle of waterloo only the most skilled French cuirassier could make there horse get in range of a square formation for sword time hence why it was a turning point in the battle. But nevertheless cavalry was overpowered in real life and the British still took huge casualties. But this was also balanced by the fact cav had a massive upkeep. It was like the French charging the British with ferrari's so perhaps the game could be balanced in that financial aspect as well.
Perhaps it'd be possible to somehow cap off the maximum amount of cavalry, guards etc. a party would be able to bring

It's worth mentioning that PBOD sub mod adds the "polearm bonus" which makes stabbing a horse with your musket nearly an instakill, the real killer for cav is their swords. Though on the cavalry side, sometimes it's really hard to tell if the enemy is going to stab your ride.

It is way too overpowered, Horses + Cavalry men needs a lot of nerf, like one shot one horse dead or Person dead. Other than that the melee is the worst, it really needs some more power + fix.

Also it needs to be mentioned that getting your own cavalry is rather easy, as Austrian Kürassiere are tiered the same as Austrian Landwehr foot guys and given enemy AI, it often resembles Swadian horse blob of death and decay. Because why should you take line infantry when you can have as many horsemen?

BenKenobi said:
Also it needs to be mentioned that getting your own cavalry is rather easy, as Austrian Kürassiere are tiered the same as Austrian Landwehr foot guys and given enemy AI, it often resembles Swadian horse blob of death and decay. Because why should you take line infantry when you can have as many horsemen?
Because some people like to role play, not power play.

I think they should make it so that cavalry cost twice as much, because you need to pay for the horse too, and for the horse food. But ofcourse this only hinders the player, so to make the AI use less horses, maybe there is some way you can tier horse recruits higher as in tier 1 horse recruit resemle's tier 2/3 infrantry, so maybe the AI will have less of them, but I'm no coder, so I don't know.

This thing can be fixed. Remember how deadly it's to ride into 1257AD's infantry default formation? The one that looks like a hedgehog with everyone in a clump the outernmost with their pointy sticks out?
That's probably what needs to be done with L'Aigle's bayonets. Making a similar approach with muskets could debalance them in every other application.

Infantry DID get decimated in line. That's the point of square formation (form 5 rows). Cavalry were extremely strong- a French Cuirassier weighed almost a ton with his armour and horse. I've found that square formation works well, many horses being killed and then the riders being surrounded by my vengeful bayonets!

Back
Top Bottom