Video demonstrating the power of Calvary

Users who are viewing this thread

Well the problem is you basically fired one volley then left your men to be overrun by hordes of cav. You literally had all infantry so it's expected a massive cav squad will destroy you

thebattalion said:
Well the problem is you basically fired one volley then left your men to be overrun by hordes of cav. You literally had all infantry so it's expected a massive cav squad will destroy you

True, but once the calvary comes into distance of the muskes (when they start aiming) you only have time for 1-2 volleys anyways, the first one would barely kill anyone due to pure distance. Whilst the second would practically be too late. So basically there is no hope for melee defense in lines. Calvary should cause major shock damage, but shouldn't be able to sit on their horses destroying everyone without even moving.

I have noticed that there are WAY to many cavalry units in most AI armies, they make up 80% of a vassal's army, not even joking.

1er_Gren_Mr_T said:
I have noticed that there are WAY to many cavalry units in most AI armies, they make up 80% of a vassal's army, not even joking.

Yeah it's unfortunate, I wouldn't mind if a volley of 176 men killed more than 8 people/horses

1er_Gren_Mr_T said:

Historically speakng, horses were the dominant fighting force of the Napoleonic wars. However, I do admit there is way too much cavalry even from a historical standpoint.

In the second fight where you had them brace, you had them ready to shoot just sitting there, hence why they *cough cough* didn't kill anything.  If you use some proper tactics you could have won this easily.  You have Jagers, set them to fire at will, and move some **** troops about 30 paces in front of the Jagers for the cavalry to charge and get tangled in as they're being shot.  Personally I just have around 10 cavalry charge the enemy cavalry when they start to get close, it tangles up their cavalry as I said, making it easier for my men to shoot them.

Also, thicker formations. Triple and quadruple ranks are options and will bring a cavalry charge to a stand-still.

Austupaio said:
Also, thicker formations. Triple and quadruple ranks are options and will bring a cavalry charge to a stand-still.

Unfortunately when I do triple, people get in the way of a lot of soldiers, leaving them to not shoot. So I would get half my army not shooting because someone is on front of them

The point of this video was to show what cav can do to armies. He may have not used full proper tactics but consider this: If he fires more than 1 volley chances are the entire of the first volley will miss because they are farther away. 2: While yes he could have put his skirms behind his line inf chances are it would have made little difference, why? Because did you see how fast his men were being killed? They would have just crushed the line inf and moved onto the skirms. What he did was the better tactic available for him to use at that time.

Despite claims to the contrary the Cav is really op in this mod. They do too well against bayonet equipped units. This probably stems from the fact the bayonet animations are messed up atm and make the bayonet awful. Cav should destroy light infantry, such as your jaegers, but against grenadiers and the like the cav should have no chance, assuming you tell your men to use melee weapons. The accuracy of infantry leaves something to be desired at the moment as well. Also the firing range. In NW Commander battle, fighting cav is never so difficult because your men are much more accurate and much more effective in melee. It should be noted that historically head on charges were not common. Napoleon was the only commander in Europe who frequently used his cavalry in such a manner, to decisive effect. So I guess if these were all cuirassiers it would make more sense but seeing as they're Prussian the charge should not be that effective.

BushDweller said:
Austupaio said:

Unfortunately when I do triple, people get in the way of a lot of soldiers, leaving them to not shoot. So I would get half my army not shooting because someone is on front of them
If you put them in square formation (5 ranks) only the first two lines will shoot, yes. But any horse that charges in will be stopped either by the third or fourth rank becoming mired in a sea of soldiers. With horses nerfed as they are and melee muskets animations improved, infantry do better against horsemen.

However there are two things lacking in your strategy. First you should have some light infantry in their own group several paces behind your line infantry to support them. And you also need cavalry to destroy the enemy artillery and/or harass their infantry before they can intervene.

Mind you, I´m not saying cavalry isn´t op. It still is despite the nerfing. But I think the problem right now are not cavalry units themselves, but the number of them. They are far too effective to allow the AI to use armies of something between 50 to 80% of them.

It all comes down to the way you play and the bad warband A.I that cannot match this time period.

Like I said on an earlier thread. I had 45 lancers wipe out an entire company (100men and 2 cannon). If you deploy in lines then yes you are going to be raped. Historically cavalry did decimate pretty much anything and the above example could happen.

Changes will hopefully be made where practical and to a degree and limitations made by warband itself cause some issues thus you just have to deal with it....for now..... :p

General K said:
It all comes down to the way you play and the bad warband A.I that cannot match this time period.

Like I said on an earlier thread. I had 45 lancers wipe out an entire company (100men and 2 cannon). If you deploy in lines then yes you are going to be raped. Historically cavalry did decimate pretty much anything and the above example could happen.

Changes will hopefully be made where practical and to a degree and limitations made by warband itself cause some issues thus you just have to deal with it....for now..... :p
My suggestion would be to buff line infantry´s power strike. Anybody who has played Warband for more than a month knows that the AI is much better with a one-handed weapon than with a polearm, so maybe if those armed with polearms can do more damage per hit that will help balance the equation.

Articulo34 said:
General K said:

My suggestion would be to buff line infantry´s power strike. Anybody who has play Warband for more than a month knows that the AI is much better with a one-handed weapon than with a polearm, so maybe if those armed with polearms can do more damage per hit that will help balance the equation.

Possibly, although with the animation fixes by ranger the attacks connect more often, it is just that the A.OI just really sucks at times. 1vs1 sword to bayonet the sword will win in warband. But yes, the damage thing, possibly.

Just have 2 stab attacks and 2 side attacks that knock the enemy back, this would make them effective against mounted and unmounted cavalry.

I try several custom battles 150 inf vs 100 cav and 80 inf vs 50 cav (I play inf) and I win most of them, but with very heavy casualtis (around 80%) for me. You just need to order square formation, stand closer and fire at will. Then go around and kill in persom enemies that are dismounted and have firearms. Initial volley is useful if you have time for it, but not very importatnt. If you can move to some hill or threes is very useful too.

My issue isn't actually oddly when they are mounted. It is when they are dismounted from being beaten to death. That is when they are a problem lol. The chaos commences with the sabres hehe

Back
Top Bottom