Veteran Chevau-Leger Polonais de la Garde Imperiale

Users who are viewing this thread

JK!

Recruit
I can't seem to remember where I recruited these from: Veteran Chevau-Leger Polonais de la Garde Imperiale

I remember another poster said you can recruit from Poland, whilst int he service of France, but now I can't seem to find where I recruit them from.

I would like to create a larger regiment of them, but maybe once you've conquered Poland, you can no longer recruit them?

1293DF530195D3D486C369711A6A153F1F7E4C14

You can check on the troops tree topic: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,322685.0.html

From the garde imperiale I understand it's part of the French imperial guard, but the word polonais means polish, so maybe it's a type of light cavalry you can only recruit from a certain city.
I'll try to look through the game files later if no one gets there faster.

Edit: I've looked through the game files but couldn't really find anything, then I tried checking a few things ingame and it seems you get these units by recruiting light cavalry from Poland whilst enlisted in the French army.

Yup
What he said.

Just so's ya know -- "Veteran Chevau-Leger Polonais de la Garde Imperiale" are currently (as of "L'Aigle v1.41") the third rank in the troop tree (e.g., second "upgrade") for the Polish Cavalry Recruits you obtain by the method pegasusinferno described.
[Troop Tree is "Recruit" -> "Chevau-Leger Polonais (etc.)" -> "Veteran Chevau-Leger Polonais (etc.")].
Since they are Level 25 troops, you may have to wait a lo-o-ong time, and husband/protect your lower-tier cavalry troops through many battles so they gain the necessary experience, before you ever see them in-game [or, just cheat ...]

DARoot

That's interesting thing, I only get the Szaser now, which goes all the way to the Elite Szaser which is fine and dandy, but I really wanted to build a large regiment of the Veteran Chevau-Leger Polonais de la Garde Imperiale . I'll try recruiting from all the Polish cities/villages again, but can't seem to find the money maker.

Hemiola said:
Yup
What he said.

Just so's ya know -- "Veteran Chevau-Leger Polonais de la Garde Imperiale" are currently (as of "L'Aigle v1.41") the third rank in the troop tree (e.g., second "upgrade") for the Polish Cavalry Recruits you obtain by the method pegasusinferno described.
[Troop Tree is "Recruit" -> "Chevau-Leger Polonais (etc.)" -> "Veteran Chevau-Leger Polonais (etc.")].
Since they are Level 25 troops, you may have to wait a lo-o-ong time, and husband/protect your lower-tier cavalry troops through many battles so they gain the necessary experience, before you ever see them in-game [or, just cheat ...]

DARoot

Could you Elaborate on this aspect, does that mean I simply recruit Polish Light Cavalry and do not upgrade them for a long time and eventually I might get the option to get the Chevau-Leger Polonais?

So far:

Warszawa

Toun
Poznan

Military depot, Poland

Praga
Plock
Chelmno
Lomza
Gniezno
Koscian
Rawa

All light cav. recruits given are: Polski Rekrut Lekka Kawalerii-------> Polski Szaser

There is only one city, that I am currently at a -13 in relation: Leczyca. I cannot recruit form the but am trying to restore my reputation with, but The elder never seems to have any opportunities for me to improve relations.

Is it possible that once you conquer Poland, that you cannot recruit the Polish Legions anymore?

"Szaser" is the Polish Army's Chasseur-a-cheval type [upgrade 1 for "Polski_Rekrut_Lekka_Kawalerii."].

You're looking for "Recrue_de_Chevau-Leger_Polonais." (Troops.txt index #60).
They are considered French troops, so I'm pretty sure your Player Character has to be a member of (enlisted in) the French faction/army, in order to find them.
[You can certainly find their uniform at the French Military Depot.]

I recruited some in the village of Leczyca, the village of Praga, and at the Polish Military Depot ("Enlist them as Light Cavalry").

In some other villages, I got "Polski_Rekrut_Lekka_Kawalerii." [They, and "Polski_Rekrut_Kawalerii" are Army of Poland troops, with a different upgrade path].
So, the Game Engine may assign the "volunteers" that you get randomly, within the type class you select.
Anyway, I accumulated about 10 of each, before I decided to quit and report back to you.
[Yes, I cheated -- gave myself 2000 denars, so I could purchase them all.  But, this was just for testing purposes].

Sometimes, because of how Docm has arranged the troop trees currently ("L'Aigle v.1.41"), if you are looking for specific troops, you have to look in BOTH the Regular (heavy?) Cavalry and Light Cavalry "trees."
You may not find them where you would expect them to be.
[Example - Russian Cossacks (the epitome of light cavalry) are in the Regular Cavalry upgrade path, as are Polish Army Uhlans, while your Chevau-Legers Polonais (and Russian and Austrian Dragoons) are in their faction's Light Cavalry upgrade path.]
As Inzunza says, "Heavy Light Cavalry."  Go figure.  Probably space requirements/troop tree "branching" opportunities dictated this. 
But usually, Regular Cavalry Recruits upgrade to Dragoons or Cuirassier class/types, while Light Cavalry Recruits upgrade to Chasseur or Hussar class/types. (Austria also has Uhlans, and they got put in the Regular Cavalry tree, while the Dragoons were relegated to a "branch" of the Light Cavalry tree, as an upgrade to Chevaulegers, and no further upgrade).

Happy Gaming!

DARoot

Hi, Docm30!!

Well, y'know, reasonable people (and recognized notable historians) may differ in their opinions.
Russian Cossacks were not (and never intended to be) "Battle Cavalry), who would charge a line of formed troops regularly.
They weren't even very good at scouting or picket duty (the primary role of Light Cavalry), since they were more inclined to look for opportunities to plunder, or overcome smaller, strung-out opposing forces.
They were almost exclusively "hit and fade" troops, preferring to ride around the enemy, hit the flanks/rear, and then run for cover if encountering significant resistance.
They really excelled at raiding unprotected villages (usually at night).

But, that's probably just my own personal opinion, ingrained from military miniatures rules systems, over the years.
It does not matter. It all depends on how a given Player utilizes them, in "L'Aigle."

[Have I mentioned how much I appreciate all the hard work you have done, to bring us this mod?  Many, many Thanks!!]

DARoot
[PS - I have "Morgh's Editor," and know how to use it, so "troop trees" are something I can change to suit myself, anytime.
However, since you have hinted that you will be changing the whole recruitment system of "L"Aigle" in some future upgrade, I know anything I do now in this area will go out the window when that becomes available.]

Follow your own vision ... It's worked well for us so far.

Their lightness is due to their mounts and the tactics they employ. Although uhlans have a powerful initial shock to their charge, they ride smaller horses and carry sabres unsuited for delivering point (in the event that their lances crack on the first blow), so they were typically relegated to recon, skirmishing, manning pickets, carrying messages and exploiting weaknesses in the enemy line, whereas the dragoons, despite historically being little more than glorified infantry and in some armies still equipped with long muskets and bayonets, were mounted on larger horses, given long straight swords ("broadword", "Pallasch" etc.), and used to punch through in closed formation, even into the front of infantry lines if necessary. Everyone agrees cuirassiers are heavy (even without their plates) and hussars are light, but dragoons and uhlans defy intuitive classification - the Poles in French service were really jacks of all trades and excelled in all kinds of circumstances. The cossack regiment was not only "poorly" mounted on very small and thin horses, but they were also smaller in manpower, regiment-to-regiment, than the regular army units, and were not really suited for filling the first line, nor did anyone expect them to. When they followed through with a charge, it was almost always into the flank or rear or from a concealed position where the enemy had no time to react.

That doesn't really translates into Warband though. Fast horses and lances will always trump large horses and Pallasche, the AI can never be "surprised" in a tactical battle, and reconnaissance is just a stat that extends your vision on the world map. If there was a way to make hussars and uhlans behave like horse archers without necessarily giving them pistols and carbines, then you might see them behave in some loose facsimile of their proper roles, but I don't think that's even possible.

I would personally prefer if the units in L'Aigle were classified the same way as they were during the time period, even if it alienates some of the Warband audience.

Very true.

Cossacks (other than Guard Cossacks) are sometimes classified as "Irregular" troops also, in military miniatures rulesets.  Less morale, staying power, training, etc.
[This is 1809, not "Taras Bulba," after all].
But, they were still very good at what they did (if not exactly reliable about it).
They should (IMHO) be mounted on light, fast, agile "steppe ponies" with good endurance, but not so good hit points.
The "Native" steppe horses are currently overpowered, compared to most Nations/Factions cavalry mounts in "L'Aigle," so that doesn't work.
One would have to create a "Cossack Horse" for them in Morgh's Editor, with appropriate stats.
And then, the Player would have to use them correctly.

Most military miniatures rule sets give "Lancer-Class" cavalry a bonus against Squares.  This reflects the extra "reach" of the lances and the fact that the horses didn't need to be forced to run into the wall of bayonets in order to engage.  But, they typically rode lighter horses than the "heavies." But again, as BlueHawk points out, that's hard to translate to the Mount & Blade Game Engine effectively. [You can do it, in Morgh's Editor, but it generally doesn't make any difference in the battles].

DARoot

Docm30 said:
The cities have to be owned by Warsaw to deal out troops you want.

And Cossacks are lancers, the very definition of heavy cavalry.

I am playing as the French and I am currently in possession of Warsaw. So do you mean they have to be within Warsaw's district, so for example when the farmer from the tavern gives you the mission to cleanse their village of the marauding bandits. You can find that farmer in the tavern of the city that is within it's district, right?

I noticed an odd issue, and don't know if anyone else has encountered it, but more than half of the Military Depot's I have sieged, at the very end there seems to be a small contingent possibly a few enemies trapped within the walls of the castle. I try get Napoleon's (~1700) army or Andre Messena (~700) to start the siege then I join and through auto-resolve we can finally take it but it's at enormous losses. I am trying to finish off the UK Military Depot as it is the last stronghold of resistance in the west, but this issue makes it difficult for me to do so. Mainly due to the fact the war in the UK has been largely my private war, only after I took Sheffield, Edinburgh, Invernay, Cardiff, and  Dublin, Then  France declares war on UK and then Marshall (Primary) Jean Lannes finally came in and with other French forces then they took London, and Wilton. Alas they left before I could dual assault the Military Depot near Birmingham. I'm waging a war to continue to degrade their field forces by smashing them in the field, taking King George III and various lords, but Russia, Prussia (minus Stettin), and the remnants of Austria (only Lublin left) are waging an almost all out war to the east, and I need to go east, but this Military Depot is driving me nuts. I have not used any cheats, and simply grinded my way through Europe, and I'd rather not, but is there a fix for this?

JK! said:
I am playing as the French and I am currently in possession of Warsaw. So do you mean they have to be within Warsaw's district, so for example when the farmer from the tavern gives you the mission to cleanse their village of the marauding bandits. You can find that farmer in the tavern of the city that is within it's district, right?

He means owned by the Duchy of Warsaw. If the Polish settlements are owned by France, than you can't recruit France's Polish Lancers of the Guard there. That's just the way it's programmed at the moment, I'm afraid.

Hemiola said:
Cossacks (other than Guard Cossacks) are sometimes classified as "Irregular" troops also, in military miniatures rulesets. 

Even in official government documents they're called irregular. In the decree from 31 August (12 September), 1803 that redefines (and increases) the size of a regiment of the Don Host, it stipulates that the same structure be applied to the regiments of "other irregular forces", meaning all the other Cossack Hosts and "national" units as well (Bashkirs, Tatars, Teptyars, etc.)

If anyone's curious, that regimental structure was:
1 Polkovnik (Colonel)
5 Esaul's (Captains)
5 Sotnik's (Lieutenants)
5 Khorunzhiy's (Cornets)
1 Quartermaster
1 Clerk/Scribe
5 Senior Uryadnik's (basically Sergeants)
5 Junior Uryadnik's (Corporals)
550 Cossacks
For a total (ideal) strength of 578.

Each regiment would be divided into squadrons called a "Sotnya", literally a "hundred", but would contain:
1 Esaul
1 Sotnik
1 Khorunzhiy
1 Sr Uryadnik
1 Jr Uryadnik
110 Cossacks
115 Total.

The exception to this was the Ataman's regiment, which was defined the year before (29 Sept./11 Oct. 1802) as containing a "thousand-strong regiment with all ranks doubled compared to a five-sotnya regiment", but whether that meant 10 sotnya's or just 5 extra large ones, I'm not sure.

@ JK! - As Bluehawk says, I think Docm's meaning is very clear.
- Poland (Dutchy of Warsaw), ["Ksiestwo_Warszawskie," Kingdom_7] has to exist as a kingdom/faction, and
- The town/village you are recruiting in has to belong to, and owe allegiance to, that faction.

Anyway, if you have "-13" reputation with them, you probably won't get any volunteers, and you're lucky anyone is willing to talk to you in the first place.

You are perhaps encountering something that other conquerors have, throughout history.
Illustrated perfectly by us Americans in Viet Nam in the 1970's-1980's.
You go into a place with the best intentions in the world (you think), to bring Freedom and Democracy and Enlightenment, and win the hearts and minds of the people.  But, the people aren't interested.  They don't want your "enlightenment," or to cooperate. To them, you are a foreign invader, and they just want you out of their country, and out of their lives.

Try going back to an earlier SaveGame, before all the destruction and hate and discontent occurred in Poland, and see how your recruiting efforts work out then.

Or, you can continue as you apparently have been, and pursuing the goals you have apparently set for the future, as outlined in your previous post, and reap what you have already sown.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

DARoot

Well, I'm having a ball and that one Polish city I have a negative rating with,  Leczyca, is not really a big deal.

I only have this save game as it is, so there are no redo's.

As far as tyrants go, I after reading as much as I could get my hands on in terms of reference material, history books, and in general as much as I could find; I do not think Napoleon was nearly as bad as he gets painted. He probably was a megalomaniac, to say the least that much I am sure.

Not too long ago I found an article that started to make sense of what Napoleon did accomplish and it was that in short, and the time period he was  in power was far too short to see any true changes, but the truth is the only people who truly should have feared Napoleon were those that represented the cowardice of the old system and their leadership, like that coward Wellington. People like him cared little for his men, he thought of them as lowly commoners who must be kept in "their" place and have the privilege of sharing the same air he drew  breath from. Napoleon was a far better leader of men, he inspired the type of loyalty that could allow; after being exiled, to quickly seize power and essentially challenge the old order. The old cowards saw this and made it a point to declare war on Napoleon, not France. However Napoleon had brought enthusiasm back to French forces which under the monarch they had were all but gone. There are reports of how the court system in conquered territories were improving for the better of the common man, infrastructure that was not always accessible to all levels of society now was be coming more readily accessible, and so on. I could go on and on, but most people who have a favorable attitude for history, and more importantly military history like to quickly point out that Napoleon was this terrible tyrant who wanted to control the world, the truth is far from that, that much I am sure. I wouldn't go as far to say that he was a saint, but to say he was  the evil emperor he is made out to be, is probably going too far.

Disclaimer: I am a life-long student of military history and to some extent history in general. Facts do not change, but interpretations of the facts do change and it is important to review these interpretations form time to time, to better understand our past as to make changes in the present to improve our common future.

@JK! --
I recently discovered a 4th way, that you could add a 2-handed axe (or anything else from "Native") to your Player Character in "L'Aigle."
It's the  "Mount & Blade Savegame Editor" by Kushulain.
This tool lets you edit anything in your Player Character's Inventory (including "equipped" items), in an existing SaveGame.
It does a lot of other things, and it might (MIGHT -- I make no promises, since I have not yet checked out this aspect ...) allow you to "add" a regiment of "Veteran Chevau-Leger Polonais de la Garde Imperiale" to your existing troops array, within your EXISTING SaveGame...
If this possibly interests you, here's the discussion thread, and download link for the tool:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,295270.msg7013318.html#msg7013318

Happy Gaming!
:grin:
DARoot

@ JK! --
Heh! Heh!
Yes, you can!
Here's a screenshot from the "SaveGame Editor" showing where the records of your Player Character's Troops are stored in your SaveGame file.
[Under "Party Records"/"[Your Savegame Character Name]"/"Party"/"Stacks"].
FSiJr.jpg
Looks like you could change that "155" Index Number to "62", and then change the "5" num_troops number to ....
Well, you get the idea.
You do realize, of course, that this is "cheating" of the worst kind ....
:roll:
DARoot

Back
Top Bottom