Vertex animation for map icons.

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm pretty sure horses and parties work with vertex animation, but this brought up an interesting question for me, can the icons for cities and villages use vertex animation?

SupaNinjaMan said:
I'm pretty sure horses and parties work with vertex animation, but this brought up an interesting question for me, can the icons for cities and villages use vertex animation?

Maybe, to check if it's possible simply replace a castle/town/village icon with a party icon and see if it animates. But since towns and stuff are in "waiting" position probably it won't so prob'ly some extra coding is required.

Well you could use particle effects, I guess. I think they made the mice in the castles with particle effects.

You could make animated map icons if you place them as a banner. Banners are animated, they have 40 frames which is 1 or 2 seconds of animation. It is enough to make for example mill with turning wings or woodcutter working with his axe. If a specific icon doesn't need a banner then you can easily implement this. I had successfully done it for WFAS.

Alan Q Smithee said:
Mice in the castles?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure somebody on the forums said somewhere that the small moving mice on the ground are made using particle effects.

Not sure i ever noticed them. I see it's in particles_2.brf, though it's a really lowpoly model; along with a bunch of other full models, like a roast pig, that I don't remember seeing in the game.

Alan Q Smithee said:
Not sure i ever noticed them. I see it's in particles_2.brf, though it's a really lowpoly model; along with a bunch of other full models, like a roast pig, that I don't remember seeing in the game.

The fried pig is the Pork food in-game.

hmm...  This is a good question.  I have made new banners and they work fine.  Troops on the map and towns are all parties.

Maybe a specific flag on the party allows for animated icons?

maybe I could work with a variation of the flag to make like flying seagulls around coastal cities?

can a town feature more than one flag, or can there be more than one model for the flags?

SupaNinjaMan said:
maybe I could work with a variation of the flag to make like flying seagulls around coastal cities?

If it works, you should also scale it down to fill the town scene streets with little piles of horse pucky swarming with flies.

Back
Top Bottom