Veagir Elephants and Khergit Camels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Sulibres said:
Spanish_Broomaker said:
I did.
Apperantly you didn't know that M&B is a fantasy medieval game, it is not even historical fiction, there has never been a Calradia, Swadians, Vaegirs, Khergits and so on.  I admit it is closer to reality than Oblivion, but M&B is not historical fiction, if I would have programmed M&B I would have made it historical fiction, but the developers chose not to.
Ah! But glad tidings I bring! War elephants are not fictitious!

Sorry to break your heart, but the most fantastic unit we've ever had was the Black Knights and the Undead. M&B is a pretty old game and what you are asking is pretty demanding in my eyes considering the amount of effort put into the game and the fact that we are near final development.

Look, apperantly you didn't know that M&B is a fantasy medieval game, it is not even historical fiction, there has never been a Calradia, Swadians, Vaegirs, Khergits and so on.  I admit it is closer to reality than Oblivion, but M&B is not historical fiction, if I would have programmed M&B I would have made it historical fiction, but the developers chose not to.
Note, these are the same words, as my quote above, I agree M&B needs to keep it’s historical aspect, I don’t want Oblivion (I hate medieval fantasy games, yes I hate M&B’s fantasy aspect).  Look M&B is a hybrid, it is not exactly historical fiction (King Harlaus is not responsible to the Pope), if you want let me reword it, M&B is fiction, so elephants living in that world, and even woolly mammoths is a possibility, by the way, I don’t want woolly mammoths in native, I want M&B to keep it’s semi-historical aspect just like you.
Every time I point to the fictitious aspect of M&B I merely point out that you are allowed to think outside the box.

Sulibres said:
Spanish_Broomaker said:
Easy, the AI is programmed to do so, have you ever played a Battlefield game?  Well in that game this is how the AI is programmed, all the seats in the vehicle are taken and have an order, slot 1 is driver, slot 2 is machine gun and so on, when the guy in slot 1 dies, the NPC in slot 2 takes his place

I'm sorry to say this but the AI for this game is not going to get far more advanced than it already is. The way you talk almost makes it sound like we could radically change the AI behaviour by just clapping our hands.

Yes, I am suggesting the AI to be modified.  In case you didn’t know M&B’s AI is constantly modified and tweaked, so, while they are at it…

Sulibres said:
Spanish_Broomaker said:
Easy, WASD for direction, left mouse for gore, and maybe a few more options for things like charge and seat change, obviously as driver you would not be able to use your weapons.
Note: This is just one way to set the controls.

Ever occurred to you that that kind of demand means completely re-designing the whole mounted combat system? We might as well allow two people to ride a horse then! As for switching places at the touch of a button, do you have any idea how hard it would be to swap seats with the driver from atop the tower? Chances are more likely that you would fall off!

Of course, everything worthwhile in life is costly, programming is hard and difficult, but the result would be rewarding.

Sulibres said:
Spanish_Broomaker said:
Ok, so I still think elephants need to be implemented in to M&B, I know if M&B doesn't do it, some big studio will, they will develop their own swordfighting-horseback-riding simulator, put in war elephants, and take all the credit!  And they will deserve it! (And the money).  Listen devs, if you don't do it someone else will.

I really think you deserve a slap for that comment. That's a downright insult to Armagan and everybody who worked so hard on developing this game. Just because the current game can't accommodate your demands you think its fair game to hope somebody else steal the hard work and effort of the developers? Not only are your comments ludicrous and insulting, you're a downright disgrace to this community.

Hurt huh?  Well that is a fact, those earth-swallowing companies will do it, and I want the developers to beat them to it.  I support indie developers full on, but you know that big companies will mine on their great ideas.  So again, developers beat them to it.

I still think that elephants need to be implemented, look in the .903 version I suggested that players should be able to overthrow the kings, everyone thought I was nuts, yet it got implemented, so I am not discouraged by ramblings.
Here is the topic:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,27169.msg679970.html#msg679970

Dryvus said:
I'm just going to clarify one thing, REALLY dumb it down, and then I'm done.

Spanish_Broomaker said:
Easy, WASD for direction, left mouse for gore, and maybe a few more options for things like charge and seat change, obviously as driver you would not be able to use your weapons.
Note: This is just one way to set the controls.

For the last god damn time, I'm talking about how the human beings in their protective tower are going to influence the elephant the same way the human being who got shot in the face. NOT how it would be shortcutted into a game by just using controls. If the guy who got shot in the face was sitting in the place he was, I'm assuming it was because there was a good reason to sit there and not somewhere else. The probable explanation: it was the best (maybe the only) place he could effectively control the elephant. Now there's two guys sitting somewhere else on the elephant, and they're in a tower on an elephant bouncing all over the place in a battle, and it would be difficult to extricate themselves. THAT is what I mean.

The same way they did in real life, obvious...

This argument has ceased being entertaining...

BTW, broomaker... I don't play those games and wouldn't even if I had them, second, I'm at school and my campus filters things like that, plus I'm not taking up my merely 20 gig recovery hard drive with one of those games and I'm not going through the whole process of reinstalling WINE on my Linux drive, so you're SOL.

Second, wow... this topic has become SUCH a mess. It wasn't terribly neat in the first place but I'm beginning to see the blood seep out...

Broomaker, your idea is terrible, and elephants shouldn't be in native M&B

Calradia may be fiction, but all factions in the game are based off an existing nation in Europe during 1257.

War elephants don't belong in medieval Europe. They belong in an ancient Rome setting or an ancient China setting. Calradia may be fictional, but everything in it is made to be as realistic as the devs can. So in other words, no war elephants.

Just because you think elephants would be oMg LieK kewlZ PlZ doesn't mean it belongs anywhere in Native.

bladeofudun said:
This argument has ceased being entertaining...

BTW, broomaker... I don't play those games and wouldn't even if I had them, second, I'm at school and my campus filters things like that, plus I'm not taking up my merely 20 gig recovery hard drive with one of those games and I'm not going through the whole process of reinstalling WINE on my Linux drive, so you're SOL.

Second, wow... this topic has become SUCH a mess. It wasn't terribly neat in the first place but I'm beginning to see the blood seep out...

I know, DamienZharkoff ran most people out of this topic by being rude, in fact he ran himself out!  :lol:
And bladeofudun, STAY FAR AWAY FROM THOSE MEDIEVAL FANTASY GAMES!.  M&B being the exception, I don't like the fact M&B is not historical fiction (I wanted to play as William the Conqueror!), yet it is semi-historical, since it does mirror the real medieval world.  Your school does right in filtering trash.

Fei Dao said:
Broomaker, your idea is terrible, and elephants shouldn't be in native M&B

Calradia may be fiction, but all factions in the game are based off an existing nation in Europe during 1257.

War elephants don't belong in medieval Europe. They belong in an ancient Rome setting or an ancient China setting. Calradia may be fictional, but everything in it is made to be as realistic as the devs can. So in other words, no war elephants.

Just because you think elephants would be oMg LieK kewlZ PlZ doesn't mean it belongs anywhere in Native.

Hey it is not my idea!  So I am told...
Anyway, did you know the Macedonians (Greece in Europe) used war elephants?  So did the Persians and North Africans, war elephants are not as far as you might think!  I also think M&B should include a middle-east type faction, so they would use camels, I thought that transforming the Khergits in to a Mongol/Arab hybrid faction would work, but people were opposed to that.

So as I said, I see no reason why we can't have war elephants and camels.  I think they would enhance M&B greatly.

P.S.  Go play the .953 version!  :mrgreen:

I like the idea of the camels with the bandits in the steppe climate using them. I think they already have a camel in a mod. Check the mod list, im pretty sure there is. For the elephants, they wouldn't make much sense, but it would be pretty tight.  :twisted: and evil. Mwhahahaha.

Can't you just wait for M&B 2 to have them? If you want Elephants and Camels now, then I want gunpowder weapons like an arquebus and cannons for sieges.

Sulibres said:
Can't you just wait for M&B 2 to have them? If you want Elephants and Camels now, then I want gunpowder weapons like an arquebus and cannons for sieges.
While as I said, All we need is the devs to let the player base add them by allowing us to import custom skeletons and we're good!

I chased myself out? Lol, no, I'm just lurk moaring!

I wasn't rude until you started

1. Abusing the smiley icons
and
2. Abusing the fact the game has .5% fiction in it to try and push elephants, something that fell out of use in ancient times, into medieval use

DamienZharkoff said:
Sulibres said:
While as I said, All we need is the devs to let the player base add them by allowing us to import custom skeletons and we're good!

Well, I can agree on that. Was the double post really necessary?  :???:

Sulibres said:
DamienZharkoff said:
Sulibres said:

Well, I can agree on that. Was the double post really necessary?  :???:
yes because it was at two seperate people (one off topic at person, and one on topic, if both were on or off topic, i would have done one post. But my brain atm is at 2mph so no heh)

But, on topic halways. Custom skeletons would also allow the mod "Brick & Blade" To finally be made!

DamienZharkoff said:
Sulibres said:

Sure we can wait for an expansion or M&B 2, but M&B at some point needs elephants and camels in it's "native" form.

DamienZharkoff said:
I chased myself out? Lol, no, I'm just lurk moaring!

I wasn't rude until you started

1. Abusing the smiley icons
and
2. Abusing the fact the game has .5% fiction in it to try and push elephants, something that fell out of use in ancient times, into medieval use

1. Yes you chased Ehecatzin out of this topic.

2. I am sorry if you got offended, I did not mean to be offensive.

3. As I understand, the elephant was still used in the Medieval times, true they were not used as much in Europe (almost not at all) as in the Orient, and used untill gunpowder was invented making them obsolete.

Blader said:
I like the idea of the camels with the bandits in the steppe climate using them. I think they already have a camel in a mod. Check the mod list, im pretty sure there is. For the elephants, they wouldn't make much sense, but it would be pretty tight.  :twisted: and evil. Mwhahahaha.

32.jpg

Not make sense?  :mrgreen:

SHUT UP!

SHUT UP!

I don't like SPAM...

Huh? What?

Seriously... ya'll need to stop this bickering and either arm wrestle it out or go right ahead and get married.

Sheesh.

Dude.. did you just try and support elephants use in medieval times... with a picture showing ANCIENT SOLDIERS getting mauled?

Think he's more interested in the guy being speared on the tusk!  Elephants maybe if india gets represented, think this all really belongs with the 'travel' idea where it was suggested allowing mod maps to be attached via travel options at the edges of the main map. Would be grand to have different environments and cultures represented, as well as any animals that it could be shown were actually used at some point in relevant timeline.  Not in Native

buzbybadman said:
Think he's more interested in the guy being speared on the tusk!  Elephants maybe if india gets represented, think this all really belongs with the 'travel' idea where it was suggested allowing mod maps to be attached via travel options at the edges of the main map. Would be grand to have different environments and cultures represented, as well as any animals that it could be shown were actually used at some point in relevant timeline.  Not in Native
Would work easily the same way you go into buildings really. Just use a command function that works to mark the outside map as a "Alternative interior" wich means nothing changes, just now you can make many outside maps with entrances and exits from other maps

DamienZharkoff said:
Dude.. did you just try and support elephants use in medieval times... with a picture showing ANCIENT SOLDIERS getting mauled?

Roman soldiers friend!  :grin:
Well I am merely showing you the potential of the war elephant, that is all.  War elephants were at their best in the Persian Empire's army.  Which is a long, long time before the medieval times.
Note: I didn't post the picture.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,37528.75.html

buzbybadman said:

Indian elephants practically don't have tusks!

Nemesis said:
I'm against this idea. It just doesn't fit the Mount & Blade theme.

It may not, but as I said, we could add another faction, expand the map (so elephants aren't near the snow to the request of some), and we could have war elephants.  Finally, Calradia is not in our real world.

You know this topic is not only about elephants, what do you guys think of having camels?

Elephants would be cool, but they should be mercenary units imported from some country resembling India or Persia.

I don't really have much to say on the subject of elephants other than "boo" and "hiss", but I would like to point out something that I'm surprised everyone has missed:

Calradia is not a northern or northern-hemisphere setting.

The further south you get, the snowier the map gets (tangential question:  Does the snow ever melt?).  The Nords are actually the northernmost (and warmest) faction in the game.  Yes, they have the benefit of being coastal, but the map nevertheless moves from a cold south to a less-cold north.  Calradia is in the southern hemisphere.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom