SP Other VC Combat Pack OSP

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalarhan

Python Saint
Count

Hey, in this thread I will present the Combat Pack OSP for VC. Any feedback/suggestions for it are welcome. Closed development, to be released this week. TBD

Short description:
I enjoy combat in a slower pace than what we have currently. My ideal shieldwall battle would last about 5 minutes for a equal force.

Plan:

• Hitboxes with crippled limbs and special reactions -> (post below)
  • Time control for combat (warp time!) ->(post below)
  • New abilities and tweaks
  • Decapitation

Code:

soon (tm)
Code:

Crippled limbs for player and IA, idea from @deadknight

M_iG6xDvWWJ5.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Combat:

- Head hit: 10% chance of breaking helmet. 50% chance of damage penalty. 25% chance of screen effects that will make harder for you to see. 10% chance of knockback/down (higher with heavy damage)...

- Right arm/hand hit: 20% of unequip weapon (you do not lose it). 5% of dropping weapon (you lose the weapon!). Each hit should decrease your damage after it.

- Legs hit: Each hit will make you slower.

- Rest of the body hit: 10% chance of penalties like less damage and less speed.

- Reduce damage until the armour is weaken

Duels (like the ones you do against another lord commander before a battle):

1) Reduce damage for the first 60 seconds of the battle. In this phase both agents have full armour, stamina and health. Its the exploring phase of the duel
        - Damage is reduced to a minor thing. I dont want anyone dying here.
        - This phase should be about knowing your enemy and crippling his attacks (shield, weapon, limbs)

Combine this phase with the crippled limbs idea. So if you hit your enemy he will start to lose speed, damage, you can break the weapon, you can the damage armour, break shield, etc

I didnt test it, but it would be cool if you could force unequip pieces of armour, like the helmet Update: you can  :iamamoron:

2) After 60 sec its the damage phase. Time to kill before you are killed. Penalties from first phase will make this phase unique every duel.

Time Control

We have in games like Total War Rome a option to speed up or slow down time.

In Warband (and VC) we have that ability on the world map (CTRL+space).

So why not for combat?

Plan:

Add new shortcuts to control the movement speed. Something like:
  • CTRL + 1: 25% normal speed
  • CTRL + 2: 75% normal speed
  • CTRL + 3: 100% normal speed
  • CTRL + 4: 200% normal speed

With that you get slow motion for videos/screen or just to watch the battle and make decisions.
75% ish should be my default speed (to be tested)
100% is vanilla
200% is to travel around the big empty map. So you can get to the enemy faster

New abilities:

Based on mods like Brytenwalda:

BattleCry ability: enemy troops will move away from you for a few seconds
  What:http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,327407.msg7732978.html#msg7732978
    How: TODO 

Combat abilities: call horse, warcry, sprint
  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,62230.0.html
  --> it seens we have call horse on 1.04. This is a version that allows players to call more than 1 animal depending on stats

Taunting:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,298129.0.html

Open inventory in battle and sieges using I:
  - nothing worse than going into a siege with a lance instead of a bow! Gah!

Battle continuation after KO:
    What: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,327407.msg7740297.html#msg7740297
    How:  TODO

My god, everything sounds great, specially:

kalarhan said:
Combat:

- Head hit: 10% chance of breaking helmet. 50% chance of damage penalty. 25% chance of screen effects that will make harder for you to see. 10% chance of knockback/down (higher with heavy damage)...

- Right arm/hand hit: 20% of unequip weapon (you do not lose it). 5% of dropping weapon (you lose the weapon!). Each hit should decrease your damage after it.

- Legs hit: Each hit will make you slower.

- Rest of the body hit: 10% chance of penalties like less damage and less speed.

- Reduce damage until the armour is weaken

Duels (like the ones you do against another lord commander before a battle):

1) Reduce damage for the first 60 seconds of the battle. In this phase both agents have full armour, stamina and health. Its the exploring phase of the duel
        - Damage is reduced to a minor thing. I dont want anyone dying here.
        - This phase should be about knowing your enemy and crippling his attacks (shield, weapon, limbs)

Combine this phase with the crippled limbs idea. So if you hit your enemy he will start to lose speed, damage, you can break the weapon, you can the damage armour, break shield, etc

I didnt test it, but it would be cool if you could force unequip pieces of armour, like the helmet Update: you can  :iamamoron:

2) After 60 sec its the damage phase. Time to kill before you are killed. Penalties from first phase will make this phase unique every duel.

Do you have this working yet?

mike56 said:
Do you have this working yet?

yeap, I am using on my sandbox game. Should publish it about 1 week after 1.04 release.

Any suggestion on how to improve it?

quote from main thread:

kalarhan said:
All variables that are used for tweaking balance are in a script, so all you need to do is change it in one place. I will post instructions on how to do it.

Stuff like:
  - chance to cut off heads
  - chance to disarm
  - damage reduction on a hit (%)

and so on.

I do no plan to create a presentation (screen/UI) to tweak variables, but that could be added later.

Updates for this pack:

1) Coding for controlling speed on the map is done. This could be achieved on two forms: slow/speed time OR running speed.

a) slow/speed time works great but it requires cheat mode for some reason. Maybe in a future version of Warband we could use it
  b) running speed does not affect animations. So I can set speed to 0 (no movement), but npcs can still attack, use ranged weapons. Quite funny to see a battle at 1000% speed actually.

Solution: I opted for (b). CTRL+1 to CTRL+4 are my default controls. Speeds are 75% (default), 10%, 100% (vanilla) and 250%.

With 250% you can travel to the other side of the map quite fast and it should cut down on the preparation time for a battle. More time for fun stuff (like killing them!).

2) Coding for breakable gear affecting damage received and penalties

a) It works great. I started by adding all armor (head, arms, legs, chest) from different pieces of gear. I then use that against each damage to that area (say a hit to the head) to decrease the item HP. While the item has HP the damage is severally to the agent is reduced to a min, but the gear suffers until it breaks (Hp = 0). After that is normal damage.
    I also removing helmet if it breaks for a visual cue.

b) Speed and damage penalties on hit working great. That means if a heavy armoured cant block he will be slower and slower...  :twisted:

c) Considering adding counter bonus after you defeat a agent.

3) Adding new abilities like sprint worked great.

4) I decided not to touch any quest mission (storymode). Its for my sandbox game, so I only touched normal battles, villages and duels.

VC104 was not release yet so I gonna have to wait a few weeks before releasing a public version to anyone interested. More time to test lol. Development is close, but feel free to add suggestions on the main thread. 

Duels:
right now I have 4 phases.
- Phase 0: 0 to 20 sec. No movement. Low damage (20%). Time to use those ranged weapons to break the enemy shield if you can!
- Phase 1: 21 to 40sec: Normal movement (75%). Medium damage (40%). Time to try break some gear or weapons!
- Phase 2: 41 to 60sec: More damage (60%). Bleeding.
- Phase 3: 61 and on. Normal damage. Time to kill or be killed!

Penalties for speed and damage on hit. Change to disarm/break weapons. Chance to knockback or stun for a couple sec on head hits.
I would like to add some props in the scene (spare shield/weapons) you can pick up from floor. To be considered.

Overall I am happy with this system. My duels are lasting for about 2 minutes now and I need to parry alot or I am dead. It is fun and dangerous.

Two mst seen to be involved: duel_with_lord for quests (like a lady honour quest) and viking_duel (normal duels).

There are risks of changing this code without modules, hard to predict odd behaviours hehe. But it is aiming at Sandbox, so I am OK with that.

Any suggestions for VC combat please post on the general thread with details.

Cheers

Hey guys,

VC RE beta is now out and as you can see for yourselves many ideas here are now outdated, as they are part of the game itself in a form or another.

I will close this topic now and we can open a new thread in the future, after people have got time to explore the new version of the game.

Feel free to use any ideas posted here as you wish  :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom