[v 1.1.0 BETA] Hero FoW was a bad idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Something else to add to the weirdness is that if you marry a widow with kids, the kids stay in the other clan. I do find it more realistic that people married of their mother for political gain. But who in the world would split a mother from her kids! Thats just crazy.
Are you serious? I honestly have to ask because you have it completely backwards lol.

It's actually highly unrealistic for anybody to marry off their mothers for political gain because women that are above the age of 25, not virgins, and have kids from previous marriages tend to have low "marriage value" by default and that's before you consider the moral outrage most cultures have with regards to the idea of sexual and marital loyalty (basically, in most cultures I've read about, when a woman marries a man, that marriage does not end when he dies; if she isn't basically or literally a chaste nun for the rest of her life she'd be perceived as having betrayed not only her husband but her kids, parents, ancestors, and probably your dog while she's at it lol). It HAS happened, but usually under threat of violence (like an overlord is attracted to a milf and demands her from her husband or son or something like that) or as an insult (her stepson's in charge and he doesn't care for her so he's tossing her out as an insult to both her and her new husband).

In most feudal societies kids were the property of their paternity, not their mothers, with women married into a noble family treated as outsiders rather than insiders. In more cutthroat environments (like, say Warring States Japan) these women were expected to spy on their husbands and children on behalf of their fathers/brothers (and older sons if applicable) or even try to kill them if commanded to (among other acts of sabotage). In the more extreme environment, noble women generally didn't care for their children because they're not "theirs" in either a legal or in-setting moral sense but the property of their husbands (or husbands' clan).

Of course, different times and places have very different ideas on morality, but most patriarchal societies treat children as belonging to their fathers, not their mothers, especially if they're considered important enough to kill for (as in, kill the mother to ensure the child doesn't abandon their father's family for their mother's family). You ought to read about the histories of various dynasties to see just how screwed up it could be across the world, but also to note how different the cultures could be with regards to familial piety.

Are you serious? I honestly have to ask because you have it completely backwards lol.

It's actually highly unrealistic for anybody to marry off their mothers for political gain because women that are above the age of 25, not virgins, and have kids from previous marriages tend to have low "marriage value" by default and that's before you consider the moral outrage most cultures have with regards to the idea of sexual and marital loyalty (basically, in most cultures I've read about, when a woman marries a man, that marriage does not end when he dies; if she isn't basically or literally a chaste nun for the rest of her life she'd be perceived as having betrayed not only her husband but her kids, parents, ancestors, and probably your dog while she's at it lol). It HAS happened, but usually under threat of violence (like an overlord is attracted to a milf and demands her from her husband or son or something like that) or as an insult (her stepson's in charge and he doesn't care for her so he's tossing her out as an insult to both her and her new husband).

In most feudal societies kids were the property of their paternity, not their mothers, with women married into a noble family treated as outsiders rather than insiders. In more cutthroat environments (like, say Warring States Japan) these women were expected to spy on their husbands and children on behalf of their fathers/brothers (and older sons if applicable) or even try to kill them if commanded to (among other acts of sabotage). In the more extreme environment, noble women generally didn't care for their children because they're not "theirs" in either a legal or in-setting moral sense but the property of their husbands (or husbands' clan).

Of course, different times and places have very different ideas on morality, but most patriarchal societies treat children as belonging to their fathers, not their mothers, especially if they're considered important enough to kill for (as in, kill the mother to ensure the child doesn't abandon their father's family for their mother's family). You ought to read about the histories of various dynasties to see just how screwed up it could be across the world, but also to note how different the cultures could be with regards to familial piety.
Opinions also. For me i find it impossible to separate a mother from her kids.

Opinions also. For me i find it impossible to separate a mother from her kids.
Sure. People have historically had very strong and divergent opinions about the subject of paternity (or the word I'm forgetting that basically refers to how members of a family unit are viewed with regards to belonging and all that).

Something else to add to the weirdness is that if you marry a widow with kids, the kids stay in the other clan. I do find it more realistic that people married of their mother for political gain. But who in the world would split a mother from her kids! Thats just crazy.
It's the same if you marry a single male who has children too (Galden I think?). Kids belong to their clan, not their parents. Too bad would save me the trouble of waiting around in town to make them.

It's the same if you marry a single male who has children too (Galden I think?). Kids belong to their clan, not their parents. Too bad would save me the trouble of waiting around in town to make them.
I can think of several inappropriate jokes pertaining to importing other women's children to inherit your clan and its properties lol.

If it worked in such a way that kids were basically attached to one of their parents instead of their clan, you could theoretically poach all the youth of Calradia by marrying/"divorcing"/remarrying your way through every clan lol. It'd be a very silly way to go about world conquest but certainly an unconventional method lol. "Gotta catch'em all (noble sons!): Reverse Harem Edition"

In latest Beta there is alot of single parents. Reading all the time in the gamelog about people dying

Yeah it's ridiculous that I would be receiving marriage offers from clan members across the map that I have never met, and their stats are blacked out.

It's not a great solution, but my plan is to just save scum marriage offers so I don't have to waste time with it lol. Otherwise, it's never a good idea to accept marriage offers because you'll never know if the woman offered to your male relatives is actually even capable of pregnancy or is the offering clan head's grandmother lol. And I'm not going to visit every single keep across Calradia just so that I know, as a Vlandian nobleman, if the Khuzait woman from the Kherjit Clan is the head's age-appropriate daughter or their recently single mother (a very odd "feature" if ever there was one, since I doubt most guys would marry off their own mothers IRL and I'm highly skeptical most historical patriarchs would either lol).
Save scumming is indeed the appropriate solution to this development.

Back
Top Bottom