Víkingr: Shieldwall Event (CLOSED)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shield wall!

61bUJ14.jpg

Awesome. Epic. Great. Just words,but they all can't mess with this event! I hope there will be a lot of pictures and videos of this event,looking forward for the next one! And also thanks from the Jomsvikingar and sorry for any mistakes when they happened.  :wink:

Hengwulf said:
Sadly I coulnd't attend. Always love to cut of Ualraigs moustache :razz:

If you attended one of these Events, you might actually be able to do that. Wouldn't you?!

It was my first event (for which I've been preparing for 2 weeks) and I just want to say it was PURE AWESOME! EPIC! What a pity this mod is so little known.
This shieldwall "meating"  :wink:    should be a weekly or biweekly event!

By now we have a good number of shieldwall events behind us so it's hard to say, but I think this was one of the best ones so far! I'd encourage everybody to stay in formation as long as possible - it's really a blast. While that's easy to do in the centre of the shieldwall, it takes real discipline to do when you're on one of the flanks, but believe me, it's worth it.

Thanks to the organizers, the host leaders and all the players!

Reik of Silesia said:
It was my first event (for which I've been preparing for 2 weeks) and I just want to say it was PURE AWESOME! EPIC! What a pity this mod is so little known.
This shieldwall "meating"  :wink:    should be a weekly or biweekly event!

Really glad you enjoyed it. Comments like these and that of Liefr that boost the confidence for me and Thorkell and others to continue this event.

However, no the Shieldwall Event will never, atleast regularly, be weekly or biweekly. This was the schedule for the old Shieldwall Event and it became boring, stagnant and repetitive - besides this, the admins/organizers can't guarantee for atleast one of us to be available every weekend . Myself and Thorkell do hope to introduce other game modes and types, however this needs alot of forethought and preparation.

I think the current pace of Shieldwall Events is great; and while having "official" events is always awesome, you can have a great experience with this mod on every given day: Just tell the turds to get in, jump on the server yourself and have a blast. :smile: 

hrotha said:
By now we have a good number of shieldwall events behind us so it's hard to say, but I think this was one of the best ones so far!
Ah, very good! Can you tell us what made you enjoy yesterday's event more? Hosting and leading makes it hard for me to know how the ordinary men in the shieldwall feel. Glad you liked it, that's the main purpose for us admins I suppose; to host enjoyable, even fun events.  :smile:
hrotha said:
I'd encourage everybody to stay in formation as long as possible - it's really a blast. While that's easy to do in the centre of the shieldwall, it takes real discipline to do when you're on one of the flanks, but believe me, it's worth it.
Yes, this is really hard. I only see things from the middle of the shieldwall which tend to be quite tightly packed and "shieldwall-y", while looking at the recorded events I can see that the flanks are much more loose and have less of a proper shieldwall feel. Hendrix for example (who recorded the first two events) tended to be on the flanks and while he's running around far out and even behind the enemy shieldwall I was still locked in an intense fight in the centre. I also recommend anyone who wants to experience the proper feel to try and squeeze in as close to the leader as possible, especially if you record it, it really makes for a completely different experience.

We try to enforce the shieldwall formation as much as possible when we can (we tried having an admin in spectator for the event last month), I don't know if you remember us stopping the engagement a couple of times to get some flanking movements back in line again and such during this month's event. It's really not easy and the formations will split eventually in any case, what we can do is make sure it absolutely doesn't happen before the initial clash. Also, of course, the longer the shieldwall the more people will be able to fight in a tight formation, there's always chaos in the extreme ends of the formations.

Anyone who've taken screenshots or recorded the events is welcome to post the material here or in the screenshots and videos thread.

To an extent, I think I enjoyed this one more than some of the previous events because I only spent one round trying not to be completely useless with a spear, and instead focused on what I do know how to do: fighting with jav and axe on the front row. On top of that, I tried to be as close to the centre of the shieldwall as possible at all times (in fact, I fought right next to you more often than not :razz:).

I noticed those little incidents you mention, but any disruptions before the melee starts are easy to spot. The problem is the natural tendency to dance and move around if you're given some room, which will always happen if you're on a flank. Being in the centre it's relatively easy to step out of the formation for a second to strike down someone to your left or right and then get back in formation immediately afterwards, but the flanks are a different story.

Perhaps we could experiment with narrower maps. The maps we have are either mostly open, or only provide very narrow chokepoints (bridges, gates) which aren't suitable for large player numbers. A custom map with a narrow front but still wide enough to accomodate two shieldwalls might work well, but such a map would make the opening manoeuvres pointless, so it's complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom