VÍGVELLIR – make and show your own maps

Users who are viewing this thread

As a person who has grown in one of the most forested countries in world, it really breaks the immersion especially in snow maps. I understand the graphic limitations but still...

Yes, you can change this. It can be done by editing the scenes.txt under the entry of the map you're working on. It's the part right after the file name. See these two maps, for instance, both of which have no horses:

scn_stamford stamford 6400 none none 0.000000 0.000000 200.000000 200.000000 -100.000000 0x00000000300005000003a4e7000073a200002dcf00003c27
outer_terrain_plain

scn_swanamere swanamere 2304 none none 0.000000 0.000000 200.000000 200.000000 -100.000000 0x00000000400046820005213f00002fea0000174b0000078f
outer_terrain_snow_hills

I think 6400 means no horses + muddy water, while 2304 means no horses + clear water.

(Thanks, Bassa, for helping me retrieve the codes.)

I think 6400 means no horses + muddy water, while 2304 means no horses + clear water.

(Thanks, Bassa, for helping me retrieve the codes.)

That makes sense, but if I have a map that doesn't allow horses, what number do I put in to make it so horses are allowed?

Anyways...

I've sent my longships searching across the lands in order to find more lands to fight and raid. My scouts have discovered two such locations, which may lead to greater spoils!

The first place, is called by locals "Hadrian's Wall"

2m2cozd.jpg
k0ptg5.jpg
512flx.jpg

The second battleground may be called "Glacial Fjord"
msm0ys.jpg
o9h4ba.jpg
2nlzlev.jpg

Keep in mind neither of these are done and are subject to change.
Also, does anyone know old Norse for "arrowfodder?"

nurgle01099 said:
That makes sense, but if I have a map that doesn't allow horses, what number do I put in to make it so horses are allowed?

You can put in 256 for that.

Also, does anyone know old Norse for "arrowfodder?"

That would be örvarfóðr. Though if you're fashioning such a word after 'cannon fodder', I would rather go for bogafóðr 'bow fodder'. Since the first word in the compound is the weapon, not the 'ammunition', if you know what I mean.

I look forward to playing your maps! Though it pains me to see a slain Fyrning and a wrecked Fyrning ship in your last screenshot.

Eadric YES!

It's amazing to see it take form in game, thanks a lot for the effort - looks damn good already!

Now if I may, I'd probably avoid putting snow particles in - while it would greaten immersion it would likely be too costly in terms of performance, I also wouldn't extend the map any further - it needn't really be any larger than what is shown in that screenshot. A fast paced hectic fight amidst a clutter of trees and heavy fog is what I envisioned and what you've got there looks very much like it. One last thing I might point out, from a gameplay perspective it might be beneficial to raise the stream floor a little, have players walk rather than wade through it would help keep it fast and dynamic. Oh, and more fog would be a good thing, yeah!

Hope I'll get to experience it some day, tell me how it plays out! :smile:

OneEye, on TeamSpeak, just came up with a great idea...

Somone make a fun map... Ragnarok... Against bots.

Harkon Haakonson said:
We actually have such a map, and it was pretty good looking yet simple.
Or at least did 2 years ago, was made in the Eirikur era, probably by him (not sure).

Well many great maps come from that golden era like the beloved Ice Fields.

Started making this yesterday, the map is larger than it was meant to be, especially since the battle takes place in such a small area. The map is basically a small battle outside or inside a sacred grove, Feedback on how to improve it would be appreciated.

Team 1 spawn inside the grove:
g1oIXOt.jpg

Team 2 spawn in the burial mounds:
hcOMr6s.jpg

Outside of the grove:
az0g37p.jpg

Overview of Map:
omxuqQY.jpg

View from other side of map:
NNcsgNm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom