Using qualis gem

Users who are viewing this thread

So, i have one of these gem in my inventory, taken from chest in rane. For what should i use them, trade it for elixir, map of al-aziz mine, or save it until later?

Trade it with Finneas de Digit when you see him in a tavern to get an increase in your character stats via the elixir he will give you. In general i recommend you trade the first 3 gems you find with Finneas.

Afterwards it depends on what you plan to do in Pendor in general. If you are looking to create a CKO / or chapter of an existing order use it there, if you want to become an uber warrior with awesome weapons unlock the mines and get a rune weapon.

I've always taken the opposite viewpoint - you level and gain proficiency so fast early on it seems like a waste of a blue cabbage. I always use my first few to get the map to the mines and try to hold an extra so if you get lucky and are gifted the bow from Ull-vetr you can quickly exchange it for a runed bow. I also love my CKOs, so I save one for that too.

I had my first qualis gem (rane) in inventory for some couple of hundred days, until i used it to buy me a CKO (in Avendor). At that point i had maybe 3 qualis gems sitting in a chest. The second one bought me another chapter of CKO in another town (Ethos, new capital). All others since then were for elixirs. But i have 1 gem in inventory all the time in case of "emergency" (that is a new CKO should my capital fall, which is highly unlikely by now).

Today i would probably do the same - save them for the right time (being vassal of the chosen faction or king, well positioned walled fief).

Spending the first 3 on elixirs is very tempting. +6 in attributes is huge, but the profincies benefit from the +60 bonus even more in later stages of the game.
Personally i would buy early game-elixirs only when in desperate need of attribute/skillpoints, because of the love of min/maxing profincies and the importancy of early CKO's.

I neglected rune-weapons in my playthrough until now. They have only a small impact on global powerbalance, and i do quiet well without them so far.
Upgrading the free rune bow to make it permanent will save you 1 gem, which seems to be a legit idea. My bow vanished, because i stuffed it away in the chest of rane, so i had to cheat it back into inventory. Not sure right now if it persists when used by companions/player, but i guess so.

I use the gem in Rane ASAP at game start. At very low level those 6 attribute points and 20 proficiency across the board have a big impact when playing a fighting character.

Usually the 2nd will be from the Red Brotherhood and it will also go for stats, but it really depends on the situation in the game.
If I'm aiming to found an early CKO then I'll save it to be sure to have a cabbage on hand when I grab my castle.

Then I normally favor stats over rune weapons, but if Aeldarian would fail to show up I would likely favor a rune bow before more stats.

I make a point of going gem hunting, so I tend to have a whole lot of them.

I use the vast majority of them on stat increases. There's a (supposedly) finite amount of levelups, there's a potentially infinite amount of qualis gems. If you just put every single levelup point in Int, then you also just have a lot more skill points than you otherwise could. Admittedly though, it is rather hard to get 30+ in the other three stats through only elixirs.

Every qualis gem I don't specifically use for elixirs, I use to open knighthood orders. Sometimes it gets to the point where I won't hand a fief to a vassal until after I've had the time to station a KO there. That does kind of make things ridiculously easy later on though what with the sheer number of knights in your faction. I should note, I try to have a gem ready in time for the very first fief I manage to get. Starting a CKO early is always good what with how bloody long they take to train.

I pretty much never get the rune weapons anymore. Depending on the weapon, there is literally no match for it present in the game, but a few weapons come close and some of the rune weapons just aren't very powerful, comparatively.

Satrio said:
So, i have one of these gem in my inventory, taken from chest in rane. For what should i use them, trade it for elixir, map of al-aziz mine, or save it until later?

OR...
you could just use search finding dozens of older topics covering this topic...?

And craddle and cuddle your precious. And fondle it in the dark, cool treasure chamber of yours to ease it´s fright and comfort it...

Elixirs, elixirs and elixirs only CKO/other KO personal chapter.

Noldor warriors? There are other good troops. Moreover, these will die sooner or later anyway.
Rune weapons? Replaceable with unique weapons from Noldor leaders and kings.
Quigfen's shop? Not a bad idea, but usually not the 1st gem. Once again, it's also replaceable with unique weapons, loot from Noldor parties and Noldor tournament prizes.

Your skills is the only thing that is truly irreplaceable.
Also personal CKO (or other KO in your future capital city - but that's later, not the 1st QG) chapter is such a useful and interesting thing that it's worth investing 1 QG if you already own the town you intend to make your key one.

Leonion said:
Rune weapons? Replaceable with unique weapons from Noldor leaders and kings.

Ruby 2h sword swinged from Horseback is unmatched, also devastating when defending in sieges.

Also personal CKO (or other KO in your future capital city - but that's later, not the 1st QG) chapter is such a useful and interesting thing that it's worth investing 1 QG if you already own the town you intend to make your key one.

2 CKO chapters is usually enough, also there is a limit of Knights/Sergeants added to the garrison so move regularly from your 2nd chapter CKO troops to your capital. That way the garrison of the 2nd chapter gets reinforced all the time and you don't need to waste prestige to induct troops.

shoshuro said:
Ruby 2h sword swinged from Horseback is unmatched, also devastating when defending in sieges.

With high PS and WP any good weapon (especially when riding a horse) usually works the same way: one-strike kill, so there's no major difference. Investing 3 QGs (map, weapon, upgrade) in something that is nearly the same as ordinary weapon? Sounds like a waste of QGs...

shoshuro said:
2 CKO chapters is usually enough, also there is a limit of Knights/Sergeants added to the garrison so move regularly from your 2nd chapter CKO troops to your capital. That way the garrison of the 2nd chapter gets reinforced all the time and you don't need to waste prestige to induct troops.

I usually have 1 CKO chapter and a couple of standard built-in chapters. I love diversity. :grin:

Leonion said:
I usually have 1 CKO chapter and a couple of standard built-in chapters. I love diversity. :grin:

I am the opposite, 2 types of units for garrison and 2 types of units for campaign army.

For example my CKO campaign army stationed in my Capital, awaiting to devour the next unique spawn that shows up on the map :smile:

CklTT5e.jpg

How do you get so many honor troops? Is it just letting the garrison produce them and stealing them from it?  I've never had more than about 600 prestige and costs for knights have been at their lowest in my games approx 25 honor.

oldark said:
How do you get so many honor troops? Is it just letting the garrison produce them and stealing them from it?  I've never had more than about 600 prestige and costs for knights have been at their lowest in my games approx 25 honor.

Around ~ 80 where moved to Ethos from my first fief (Oregar Castle, which i gave to another Lord afterwards). Since Ethos has stopped being reinforced by Knights/Sergeants, i regularly move troops from Laria which has the 2nd CKO chapter.

The induction costs are at their lowest also, 10 for knights / 7 for sergeants, due to high honor (close to 400).

Also 10(+4) surgery works like a charm to minimise losses in battles :smile:

Back
Top Bottom