Upper-class people=douches for real?

Users who are viewing this thread

Talk to people at Glasgow Uni. First person asks "So hey, where are you from?". I say I'm from blablabla High School. Giggles awkwardly. Second person asks, what does your mom and dad do? I say, my dads a gamekeeper, my mum can't work with her wrist, but she was a dog groomer before that. Then the three of them just look at me as if I'm ****ing queer or some ****. They ask my mate what his parents do, he says "Both are doctors" and they nod in approval.

So yes, upper class people = douches.

Except my dads boss, he is teh win. :razz:

It's interesting but I'll be scrutinizing the results a lot before just accepting them.

Quotes like this is hard to take serious:
"Furthermore, upper-class individuals are more
disengaged during social interactions —for example, checking
their cell phones or doodling on a questionnaire —compared
with their lower-class peers"

But all in all I think there's truth in much of it.

Maboobs said:
Talk to people at Glasgow Uni. First person asks "So hey, where are you from?". I say I'm from blablabla High School. Giggles awkwardly. Second person asks, what does your mom and dad do? I say, my dads a gamekeeper, my mum can't work with her wrist, but she was a dog groomer before that. Then the three of them just look at me as if I'm ****ing queer or some ****. They ask my mate what his parents do, he says "Both are doctors" and they nod in approval.

Except my dads boss, he is teh win. :razz:

I used to get the same looks at college as my dad is a tree surgeon (after the initial 'what a tree Doctor hurrr') and my mum being a receptionist at a dentist, I was put on the 'peasant list'

Meh, I have a couple of upper class friends, they're perfectly nice people.

The fact is every class has douches.

Maboobs said:

Yeah, I've had experiences like that too.
Suspect-Device said:
Meh, I have a couple of upper class friends, they're perfectly nice people.

The fact is every class has douches.
The studies conclude though that upper-class people show more unethical behaviour than lower-class peeps. Which means that the upper class has a higher concentration of douches or possibly, are more douchy than lower class douches.

This is a good example of a study that can be very biased

Study 5:
"Participants took part in a hypothetical negotiation, assuming the role of an
employer tasked with negotiating a salary with a job candidate
seeking long-term employment (14). Participants were given
several pieces of information, including the fact that the job
would soon be eliminated. Participants reported the percentage
chance they would tell the job candidate the truth about job
stability."

Not surprising the upper class people didn't tell the truth.
But Upper class people are more likely to be employers or sympathise with them, rather than employees,
and therefore they will respond in according to their interests as employers.

Had it been an employee trying to cheat his employer,
we might have seen the employee (lower-class person) more prone to lying.

I thought being a douchebag is how upper class people communicate with each other and the lesser world. It's just that they seem to take different stuff for granted. For example, I got this rich kid in my class who constantly sports a new gadget, an I**** or a new smartphone, every week. When someone says that their phone has a small crack in it or is just slow, his first reaction is usually "so why don't you buy a new one?" Everyone gives him the are-you-****ing-kidding-me look after that. On that note, I'd be interested in a research that studies whether upper class people have less common sense than others.

Then again, you don't need any perquisites to be an *******. Usually breathing is enough.

I tend not to get on with "working class" people, I grew up in quite a poor area, most of the people I grew up around were what I would consider the unwashed masses, I myself am educated and such, I get on better with people who are middle or upper class (And I mean actual upper class), most of the douches I have known have been working class people, usually delinquent as well.

Maybe it helps that I'm a douche as well :3

Adorno said:
This is a good example of a study that can be very biased

Study 5:
"Participants took part in a hypothetical negotiation, assuming the role of an
employer tasked with negotiating a salary with a job candidate
seeking long-term employment (14). Participants were given
several pieces of information, including the fact that the job
would soon be eliminated. Participants reported the percentage
chance they would tell the job candidate the truth about job
stability."

Not surprising the upper class people didn't tell the truth.
But Upper class people are more likely to be employers or sympathise with them, rather than employees,
and therefore they will respond in according to their interests as employers.

Had it been an employee trying to cheat his employer,
we might have seen the employee (lower-class person) more prone to lying.
Which is why they took together 7 studies, not one. Like the two first studies are just in regards to how upper class people are more likely to be douches in the traffic, which you can't argue away.

Spent most of my life as upper-middle class, so I've tended to avoid the working class. Pretty much every person I've ever had a problem with was from the working class, while the few around me who had some form of decent income were usually nicer people. Maybe have been because we were from the same class, but I'm not sure. Just been better off dealing without, as someone put it one to me, "uneducated ghetto folk".

Oh well.

Well, maybe they get in trouble because they go around being douchy and say "uneducated ghetto folk"?

Bulle said:
Adorno said:
Which is why they took together 7 studies, not one. Like the two first studies are just in regards to how upper class people are more likely to be douches in the traffic, which you can't argue away.
No, if a study is poor you don't include it and say "we've got other stuff too".
Also, how much does traffic behaviour reflect behaviour in general? I don't see it that convincing.
The best part is how positively people view greed - that's pretty good.

I was born the proletariat and I'm working on a degree, which most upsettingly to myself, would put me in the upper class. I doubt anybody cares about this, but I will state it to explain my class because it's relevant here. My dad was an engineer and probably had a high income, but he went half-braindead from medical complications before he was even 50. He has no job or income and his only home is a hospital. My mother worked entirely non-profit for the community and spent a long time in university just for the sake of learning, but never wanted to do anything but assist the community. She ended up having disability that prevented her from working and forced her to retire early.

I hate the idea of being "rich" and it makes me miserable thinking of it, of all these narcotics and opiates like "money" which itself is a concept that I oppose. When I was little I was in the upper middle class and then I went down to just the proletariat. Although I have always seen the merits of every political ideology/socioeconomic theory, I have usually identified myself closest to anarchism and communism, both of which rely on the overthrow of bourgeois society. And how can I support such a thing if, hypocritically, I am part of the bourgeoisie? The whole idea of seeing myself as anything but working class is absurd, but just because the job I am interested in coincidentally pays well, I am damned to became a part of what I see as an issue (the government and parts of the bourgeoisie supporting them.)

If I am high income, but unwilling to spend it because I find even possessing anything more than necessities not only immoral, but abhorrent, what does that make me? Against my own choice, I'd have more than necessities, even if I am not using it. I don't go in for ten years taking endless loans because I want money of all things -- how would I survive those years if I was going for ages of working into something I loathe? I go in because it's something I enjoy and it is a science that I think helps our species, and because I know no other option, since everything else I am interested in doesn't create jobs that a capitalist society requires me to have certain types of. History and philosophy are not necessary in society so they pay nothing, leading only to teaching or unemployment.

I apologise for the ranting, but at least it was semi-relevant here. First world issues. :roll:

Assholes are everywhere, they are international and transcend any race, political ideology, religion or economic status.

I have met people from lower classes who are complete assholes and I have met people who are upper class who are complete assholes.

Anything else is just generalizing to fit political ideologies or various personal beliefs.

Using statics or similar studies we could probably implicate several groups in regards to negative stereotypes.

I.e. "All gypsies are thieves. Poor people are more likely to be criminals. Etc."

Bulle said:
Maboobs said:

Yeah, I've had experiences like that too.

Yes, this one time one of my neighbors asked me what I did, I told him I was a Uni student and they laughed at me. Then another one of them was asked and he said he worked as a bus driver and they all nodded in approval.  :wink:

Úlfheðinn said:
Assholes are everywhere, they are international and transcend any race, national origin, religion or economic status.

Yes, and why I think upperclass people look more douchy than the others is because they have more condition to act that way.

Lower class douches or semi-douches would have they doucheness multiplied proportionaly by the money and power given to them.

Back
Top Bottom