Update on ad1257 0.97v.

Users who are viewing this thread

''In war theres no time for pleasure''

Well, maybe there is no time for pleasure, but a good rape always fits in!

Hey DrT,

I've read somewhere that you didn't include dialogues for the companions because no-one wanted to write them or the guy who was supposed to write them didn't finish them or something. As I have some time left now, I would like to volunteer and write some stories for all of them, if you still need/want them. If it's just the writing, I think I could finish them in around 2 weeks of time.

I've had the idea that everyone, or most of the companions, would give some info about the mod. Like eg. the trainer&pathfinder of the merc companions I would let describe some kind of units (mainly mercs) there are and where to be found and maybe which strengths they have. Of course they would not mention all of them, or all places, just a few units. Maybe also some different info about cheap goods, businesses, etc. If possible I would split them up into the different cultures. One Muslim guy then could give some info that there are strong horseback/horsearcher units to be found in the Mamluk cities and another Muslim guy might have heard some rumours about Muslim mercs in Sicily who apparently are very well-respected there and well-paid and thus have very good equipment. The same with the Christian guy who would give some info on where to find the Cymry, another one maybe the Genoese x-men or Brabantines. An Orthodox merc companion could tell the player about the famous times of the Roman Empire and the Varangians, and indirectly tell the player how to reinstall the Roman Empire. Some of them, mainly nobles, might even mention some historic events or give you some historic detail about theirs or their family's past.

As far as special info is concerned, the merc engineer eg. could tell you how to build a fortified manor, upgrade your village to a castle and the merc trading companion would tell you how to interact with the traders in there, taxes high/low in form of goods/money what is what etc., while the priest/medic char maybe could describe how to interact with the monk in a monastery and what the benefits are. And I would give them some proper names. For the recruitable noble companions I would also try to find some nice names, and besides their general background, I would let them tell something about the region they are from. Or maybe even some other things about schemes and politics, etc. One of them might be a vet of the 7th crusade and could thus explain the player how the crusades work or something.

I don't know if there's any limit to the number of written characters/letters in the conversations, because some of them might become quite lengthy, especially the mod feature descriptions ones. And is it possible to have different player question/reply options for nobles and mercs companions - to represent some different behaviour in presence of nobles as compared to mercs, would also fit in good with the different behaviour of the merc units in comparison to the regular ones - or do they all have to be the same? In their conversations, the trader, engineer and monk would be connected, ie. the trader would tell you to ask the engineer for more info about how to fortify a manor, the engineer tells you to ask the monk if you want to know something about monasteries.

Here's an example of how I've imagined it to look like. Only the monks, traders, engineers and one crusader guy would have such a more detailed description, a noble or pathfinder/trainer would require only about 1/3 of the text below.

MERC ENGINEER MUSLIM

Yasir Hammoud

Player:
Tell me your story, mate. I hardly know you, for heaven's sake!

Aleikum salam, Milord... beg your pardon, what did you say? Oh yes, my name is Yasir Hammoud, sire. I must apologize, but I have problems with my sense of hearing since the time when I was a little child. When I was young I had a serious infection and I have never fully recuperated from that illness. It was some 37 years ago, that I was born in the middle of the desert, near the fortress of Barca in the Sultanat al Mamlik, or Ayyubids, as the rulers were called back then. My father was an architect who had built a complicated and brilliant irrigation system near Barca, so that the people could live from their lands much better than before. I've learned from him everything I know about construction and how to build diverse structures, and finally I became a master builder myself. At the age of 28 I left home in order to take part in a project, which was to build a canal system close to a small distributary in the Nile delta. The work was not too bad and payment even better, but then the Frankish crusaders came and we had to stop the project. I was conscripted into the army of the Ayyubid Sultan Turan Shah and deserted at the very first occasion. As I couldn't return back home, I tried to find my luck in travelling around the world, so I came here and we finally met.

Player:
1) Nice to know you a little better. I appreciate it very much to have you in my party.
2) Do you have anything interesting else to tell?

How to fortify a manor, maybe? Hm, that's surely an expensive endeavour. You should take into account that you'll need something around 150,000 dinar if you want to build all the buildings according to your plans. Of course you don't have to build all of them. To fortify it, you first have to go inside your regional manor, which should be near or around your village (eg. farm of..., iron trader of..., silk trader of your village) and talk to the manor master there so that he can arrange and prepare everything necessary in order to fortify your regional village manor. As soon as the preparations are finished, which you will recognise by your regional manor then being renamed into fortified manor, I would suggest to build walls first, so that you can still enter your fortified manor and do your business or continue to build something even if your village maybe got looted. You should clarify the terms of construction by talking to the Senechal inside your fortified manor, he will tell you exactly what each building costs and will take care for everything else that has something to do with the construction process.

By the way, I would advise you to build at least some kind of fortification or castle to secure the place around your village. Because as of now there is no-one around in case your villagers get attacked by an enemy army, and moreover it would be more appropriate for a lord to show his wealth and status to the locals by having a castle of his own in the region. If you want to build a castle you should go into your village and, besides the buildings like a watch tower, messenger post, mill, etc., you should build a manor there inside your village (not to be confused with the REGIONAL manor OUTSIDE of the village) and, when it has been finished, you should immediately afterwards start to improve the manor into a castle. This will take some time though until the castle is ready and progress can be seen, and is registered at the local guild so that it then should also appear on the current worldmap from thereon. You probably would have to invest roughly some 70,000 dinar to at least get a rudimentary fortified castle. By the way, if you want to know more about monasteries, because I've seen that your plans for the fortified manor include to build one there, you should talk to our medic as he grew up in one.

Player:
Hm, very interesting indeed. Thanks a lot, and I appreciate it very much to have you in my company

Anyway, tell me if you need them or not.

EDIT:
corrected a few grammar missteps

Cozur said:
Grammar and arabic is a bit off Oroboros, might want to read through that again.

Aleikum salam was thought to be the answer from the guy to the player, and because he can't hear correctly anymore he assumed that the player has said something like 'Greetings' or 'Good day to you' thus he replies to him. Neither English nor Arabic is my native tongue, so if the grammar is off I fear that I have done my best and it would be better if some English native speaker could correct the writing then, same for Arabic (Arabic won't be much in the texts, as a matter of fact not more than Salam Aleikum maybe for some other guy)... maybe you if you're not to occupied with your mod :smile:

oroboros said:
Hey DrT,

I've read somewhere that you didn't include dialogues for the companions because no-one wanted to write them or the guy who was supposed to write them didn't finish them or something. As I have some time left now, I would like to volunteer and write some stories for all of them, if you still need/want them. If it's just the writing, I think I could finish them in around 2 weeks of time.

I've had the idea that everyone, or most of the companions, would give some info about the mod. Like eg. the trainer&pathfinder of the merc companions I would let describe some kind of units (mainly mercs) there are and where to be found and maybe which strengths they have. Of course they would not mention all of them, or all places, just a few units. Maybe also some different info about cheap goods, businesses, etc. If possible I would split them up into the different cultures. One Muslim guy then could give some info that there are strong horseback/horsearcher units to be found in the Mamluk cities and another Muslim guy might have heard some rumours about Muslim mercs in Sicily who apparently are very well-respected there and well-paid and thus have very good equipment. The same with the Christian guy who would give some info on where to find the Cymry, another one maybe the Genoese x-men or Brabantines. An Orthodox merc companion could tell the player about the famous times of the Roman Empire and the Varangians, and indirectly tell the player how to reinstall the Roman Empire. Some of them, mainly nobles, might even mention some historic events or give you some historic detail about theirs or their family's past.

As far as special info is concerned, the merc engineer eg. could tell you how to build a fortified manor, upgrade your village to a castle and the merc trading companion would tell you how to interact with the traders in there, taxes high/low in form of goods/money what is what etc., while the priest/medic char maybe could describe how to interact with the monk in a monastery and what the benefits are. And I would give them some proper names. For the recruitable noble companions I would also try to find some nice names, and besides their general background, I would let them tell something about the region they are from. Or maybe even some other things about schemes and politics, etc. One of them might be a vet of the 7th crusade and could thus explain the player how the crusades work or something.

I don't know if there's any limit to the number of written characters/letters in the conversations, because some of them might become quite lengthy, especially the mod feature descriptions ones. And is it possible to have different player question/reply options for nobles and mercs companions - to represent some different behaviour in presence of nobles as compared to mercs, would also fit in good with the different behaviour of the merc units in comparison to the regular ones - or do they all have to be the same? In their conversations, the trader, engineer and monk would be connected, ie. the trader would tell you to ask the engineer for more info about how to fortify a manor, the engineer tells you to ask the monk if you want to know something about monasteries.

Here's an example of how I've imagined it to look like. Only the monks, traders, engineers and one crusader guy would have such a more detailed description, a noble or pathfinder/trainer would require only about 1/3 of the text below.

MERC ENGINEER MUSLIM

Yasir Hammoud

Player:
Tell me your story, mate. I hardly know you, for heaven's sake!

Aleikum salam, Milord... beg your pardon, what did you say? Oh yes, my name is Yasir Hammoud, sire. I must apologize, but I have problems with my sense of hearing since the time when I was a little child. When I was young I had a serious infection and I have never fully recuperated from that illness. It was some 37 years ago, that I was born in the middle of the desert, near the fortress of Barca in the Sultanat al Mamlik, or Ayyubids, as the rulers were called back then. My father was an architect who had built a complicated and brilliant irrigation system near Barca, so that the people could live from their lands much better than before. I've learned from him everything I know about construction and how to build diverse structures, and finally I became a master builder myself. At the age of 28 I left home in order to take part in a project, which was to build a canal system close to a small distributary in the Nile delta. The work was not too bad and payment even better, but then the Frankish crusaders came and we had to stop the project. I was conscripted into the army of the Ayyubid Sultan Turan Shah and deserted at the very first occasion. As I couldn't return back home, I tried to find my luck in travelling around the world, so I came here and we finally met.

Player:
1) Nice to know you a little better. I appreciate it very much to have you in my party.
2) Do you have anything interesting else to tell?

How to fortify a manor, maybe? Hm, that's surely an expensive endeavour. You should take into account that you'll need something around 150,000 dinar if you want to build all the buildings according to your plans. Of course you don't have to build all of them. To fortify it, you first have to go inside your regional manor, which should be near or around your village (eg. farm of..., iron trader of..., silk trader of your village) and talk to the manor master there so that he can arrange and prepare everything necessary in order to fortify your regional village manor. As soon as the preparations are finished, which you will recognise by your regional manor then being renamed into fortified manor, I would suggest to build walls first, so that you can still enter your fortified manor and do your business or continue to build something even if your village maybe got looted. You should clarify the terms of construction by talking to the Senechal inside your fortified manor, he will tell you exactly what each building costs and will take care for everything else that has something to do with the construction process.

By the way, I would advise you to build at least some kind of fortification or castle to secure the place around your village. Because as of now there is no-one around in case your villagers get attacked by an enemy army, and moreover it would be more appropriate for a lord to show his wealth and status to the locals by having a castle of his own in the region. If you want to build a castle you should go into your village and, besides the buildings like a watch tower, messenger post, mill, etc., you should build a manor there inside your village (not to be confused with the REGIONAL manor OUTSIDE of the village) and, when it has been finished, you should immediately afterwards start to improve the manor into a castle. This will take some time though until the castle is ready and progress can be seen, and is registered at the local guild so that it then should also appear on the current worldmap from thereon. You probably would have to invest roughly some 70,000 dinar to at least get a rudimentary fortified castle. By the way, if you want to know more about monasteries, because I've seen that your plans for the fortified manor include to build one there, you should talk to our medic as he grew up in one.

Player:
Hm, very interesting indeed. Thanks a lot, and I appreciate it very much to have you in my company

Anyway, tell me if you need them or not.

EDIT:
corrected a few grammar missteps

Hey, sorry for being slow.

Currently I don't want any dialogues for the companions. Unless you'd like to make them very generic. It's because we probably are going to migrate to WSE soon(probably not for this release tho) and in such, the companion system will be improved somewhat.

DrTomas said:
Hey, sorry for being slow.

Currently I don't want any dialogues for the companions. Unless you'd like to make them very generic. It's because we probably are going to migrate to WSE soon(probably not for this release tho) and in such, the companion system will be improved somewhat.

No problem, I'd rather have WSE in 1257AD than companion dialogues anyway. Used it in many other mods and everything just runs smoother and I usually could go much higher in battle size without stuttering, including unlimited corpses - yeah! :smile:

Hi, i'm new in the forum, so i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. i just want to say that you did an amazing job with the mod. i love the middle age since i was a kid and it's good to see a medieval role playing game focused in realism instead of the typical fantasy games, and to say your mod adds lots of new feature and realism to the native game is to say the least.

i still have to ask something. i'm not sure if it's a bug or it was intetionally made but since subversion 90 (not completly sure) western european troops stoped using shields in battle. they have the shield in the party menu, they use shield while garrisoned in castles or towns, but they just dont use their shields in battle.  i mostly play as an english bowman and without shields i can't tell friends from foes from afar when fighting other european faction, and what's more important since the enemy troops doesn't have a shield to cover themselfs they are very vulnerable against range weapons. i succesfully defended a castle against a french invasion of 2200 men with only 300 men because the french soldiers didn't have shields and the archers massacre them before they even reach the walls. i play with 110% difficulty

Thanks again for the hard work. Best mount and blade mod ever!!

batodgp said:
i still have to ask something. i'm not sure if it's a bug or it was intetionally made but since subversion 90 (not completly sure) western european troops stoped using shields in battle. they have the shield in the party menu, they use shield while garrisoned in castles or towns, but they just dont use their shields in battle.  i mostly play as an english bowman and without shields i can't tell friends from foes from afar when fighting other european faction, and what's more important since the enemy troops doesn't have a shield to cover themselfs they are very vulnerable against range weapons. i succesfully defended a castle against a french invasion of 2200 men with only 300 men because the french soldiers didn't have shields and the archers massacre them before they even reach the walls. i play with 110% difficulty
Reinstall warband, from scratch(as in no patching, go straight to 1.153 install).

thanks for the advice, it worked. i upgraded version 1.153 from 1.134, maybe that cause the bug. i made a clean install and upgraded it from version 1.00. it's working ok now
thanks

Back
Top Bottom