Update 1.5.5 Release date

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi TW!

We tested the Beta branch 1.5.5 captain mode, and we liked it a lot! Was testing archers with the new mechanics and funky new perks mostly. And it feels so good to have unbroken archers again, that can force unshielded units to hide. The only thing that I would love is, if their running speed would be a tiny bit higher. But, nevertheless, I think the 1.5.5 will revive MP again, and lure inactive players back! My question is though : Do we have an ETA on when we could expect the update to be ready ?

Last edited:
Another reason the modes should be balanced separately. In Skirmish archers need to be slowed down, while it seems Captain players want them sped up. When will the modes be balanced separately like they should have been from the start?

Hi TW!

We tested the Beta branch 1.5.5 captain mode, and we liked it a lot! Was testing archers with the new mechanics and funky new perks mostly. And it feels so good to have unbroken archers again, that can force unshielded units to hide. The only thing that I would love is, if their running speed would be a tiny bit higher. But, nevertheless, I think the 1.5.5 will revive MP again, and lure inactive players back! My question is though : Do when have an ETA on when we could expect the update to be ready ?

While I agree on most of your points I dont think the archers should have a high movement speed. If the only units that can catch them are Cav and 2 handers Captain will once again have a hard meta and it will be archers this time. Archers just like 2 handers should have support units and rely on good positioning.

I know I haven't been playing as much as you on the beta but those are just my thoughts :smile:

One can expect them to release it some time next week and not later or they'll wait until after the holidays.

Last edited:
We are waiting for some final tests to conclude for some fixes, MP side is good to go.

While I agree on most of your points I dont think the archers should have a high movement speed. If the only units that can catch them are Cav and 2 handers Captain will once again have a hard meta and it will be archers this time. Archers just like 2 handers should have support units and rely on good positioning.

I know I haven't been playing as much as you on the beta but those are just my thoughts :smile:

One can expect them to release it some time next week and not later or they'll wait until after the holidays.

Hi Moton!

About archers movement speed. I agree that archers with support is way more effective. But still, I think it is way to easy for all other classes to catch them. When the enemy decide to rush your archers, then you only have seconds to make damage and then you will have to break off and run. Run, run, run, only to get caught and die instant in a melee fight. Only cav can help you to escape. I hope that with 1.5.5 archers can make way more damage in the few seconds before shields are rushing them, and that will make up for the slow movement speed, we will see.

In the situation where a group of archers go 1v1 with a group of varyags, for instance. I would like it to be a fair fight. Right now varyags can almost run archers down while they are in shield wall, and run way way faster then archers when they are out of shield wall. Remember archers can't make damage while they run. The second you make archers run, they are useless. They will have to build up distance before they can deal damage. And they simply can't do that on their own after the 1.5.x update, but they could that before 1.5.x. I have noticed Legionaries, they run 2-3 times faster that fians, so even with the help of cav, you simply can't escape them. And even with a weak enemy cav attack, archers will slow down to a minimum, and be caught extremely easy. I would like the balance to be like this : When inf are out of shield wall, they will have same running speed as archers. And when they are in a shield wall, they will have slightly less. That way archers can fire and force inf into shields wall, hit f4 and build distance and repeat. While inf need to duck, run, duck, run, until you have caught the archers and can go melee.

Last edited:
Hi Moton!

About archers movement speed. I agree that archers with support is way more effective. But still, I think it is way to easy for all other classes to catch them. When the enemy decide to rush your archers, then you only have seconds to make damage and then you will have to break off and run. Run, run, run, only to get caught and die instant in a melee fight. Only cav can help you to escape. I hope that with 1.5.5 archers can make way more damage in the few seconds before shields are rushing them, and that will make up for the slow movement speed, we will see.

In the situation where a group of archers go 1v1 with a group of varyags, for instance. I would like it to be a fair fight. Right now varyags can almost run archers down while they are in shield wall, and run way way faster then archers when they are out of shield wall. Remember archers can't make damage while they run. The second you make archers run, they are useless. They will have to build up distance before they can deal damage. And they simply can't do that on their own after the 1.5.x update, but they could that before 1.5.x. I have noticed Legionaries, they run 2-3 times faster that fians, so even with the help of cav, you simply can't escape them. And even with a weak enemy cav attack, archers will slow down to a minimum, and be caught extremely easy. I would like the balance to be like this : When inf are out of shield wall, they will have same running speed as archers. And when they are in a shield wall, they will have slightly less. That way archers can fire and force inf into shields wall, hit f4 and build distance and repeat. While inf need to duck, run, duck, run, until you have caught the archers and can go melee.

But if the infantary have the same movementspeed as the archers at best they can never catch them.

I mean sure, legionaries shouldn't be twice as fast but just slightly faster so they can get some ground. Archers are not supposed to solo shield units, they are there to kill enemy ranged, two handers and at best weaken heavy infantary.

I remember how it was back at release, every game ended with a super long chase for archers extending every match with maybe 10 minutes. It gets boring :grin:

But if the infantary have the same movementspeed as the archers at best they can never catch them.

I mean sure, legionaries shouldn't be twice as fast but just slightly faster so they can get some ground. Archers are not supposed to solo shield units, they are there to kill enemy ranged, two handers and at best weaken heavy infantary.

I remember how it was back at release, every game ended with a super long chase for archers extending every match with maybe 10 minutes. It gets boring :grin:
In my opinion there should be more difference in speed between archers (light and heavy) to infantry, i can understand a medium/heavy infantry could outrun an heavy armored archers unit (but they still could hold their ground on melee fight), but a light archers unit should probably be faster than most of infantry or at least more than heavy ones, right now if they follow you and you don't have a cavalry player helping you, you can't run away as they are faster than your unit and they are weaker in the melee fight.
In summary heavy archers could stay like this, but light one should be able to run away.

In my opinion there should be more difference in speed between archers (light and heavy) to infantry, i can understand a medium/heavy infantry could outrun an heavy armored archers unit (but they still could hold their ground on melee fight), but a light archers unit should probably be faster than most of infantry or at least more than heavy ones, right now if they follow you and you don't have a cavalry player helping you, you can't run away as they are faster than your unit and they are weaker in the melee fight.
In summary heavy archers could stay like this, but light one should be able to run away.

Yeah, only light infantary and skirmisher units should be able to catch light archers. But a troop with Sargeants should have a little bit more movement speed compared to Veterans, sharpshooters or Fians.

If shield inf have same movement speed out of shield wall, as archers, it would sound like that they would never catch them. But, actually they will. Because of several things. First, archers need to stop entirely to make damage. And then inf can go into shield wall and still close in. Can we agree on that inf in a shield wall, still have 700% more movement speed, compared to archers that stands still ? Secondly, the inf need to use the terrain to corner those archers, and then they are caught! And if one group of inf, can make one group of archers run and stop making damage, then they actually counter each other out. I am not saying it will be easy to catch them with 1.4.x rules. But does it have to be easy? I remember 1.4.x archers and inf very well. And it was the greatest pleasure to finally catch those freaking running archers, and kill them 1v1 with inf! Even with 5x2h and 1xcav vs 6x archers we managed to catch and kill them, because we used Tactics! Today, I don't see archers as any real threat really. Our cav mostly do rambooing, because our inf can manage on our own. Do you really want this game to be a meta of shields in square form around flag, while they can go afk untill a morale win, because they are invincible?

Back
Top Bottom