Upcoming Viking Conquest mod - Jutland (work in progress)

Users who are viewing this thread

(Edits on edits on edits have been made - Status update at the bottom of the list)

I have been working on for quite some time now, my own edition of Viking Conquest. I call it Jutland (Jylland)

Now let me tell you a bit about of what i have changed, and what i am planning to do.

First thing first, i have translated the game quite a bit. So in my mod, troops, factions, towns etc. will no longer have names in English, they have all had their names changed into what they would have been called in their own language. So no more Danish Elite Vikings or Norwegian Vikings, they are now named Dansk Viking and Norske Viking. No more Ribe by south, it is now, Varde. and no more Kingdom of Northymbre. It is now Danelagen (Danelaw). Etc.

Now let us talk a bit about history and the faction changes i have made. In the viking age, vikings were not united under one banner, who attacked settlements and other kingdoms in the name of one king. There were dozens of dozens of kings all fighting eachother to expand their territories. So no more is there a King Harald Hårfager ruling all of Norway. Now we got 6 different kings and their relatives ruling in norway.
Kingdom of Laithlind, is no more. Instead it is four different viking kingdoms. Danmark is still Danmark, as Danes were the only people in the viking age who were smart enough to stop fighting in between eachother over small pieces of land.

Storyline. I have changed the storyline a bit, so instead it is about Asturias and Cantabria aiding West Seaxe. It is now the Franks, and Normans from Normandy

troop changes - I have changed every troop-tree in game. changed their names. For example the norse tree line, Are now the ''Skandinavisk'' (Scandinavian) troop-tree. Etc

Instead of the basic game were there are only 4 different kind of viking troops to pick from (Vikingr, Danish Elite Vikingr, Northmenn, Svea elite Vikingr)
I have created 14 types of different vikings! all coming from different regions of Skandinavia and beyond. They all have their own shields, so you can identify where they hail from.
On top of that. i have put time into putting all of these vikings into raiding factions. So now each type of viking will be raiding countries which would make sense. So we have Svenske Vikinger (Swedish Vikings) raiding Danmark and Norge (norway). And Normans (Norman Vikings) raiding Frisia and West Seaxe. Etc.

I have also translated the basic NPC's names. So when you see a child, (which both a girl and boy was categoried as ''Child'') they will now be called
either Pige (means Girl) or Dreng (means Boy) also for npc's like Happy Widow, which is now ''Glædespige'' (meaning, you guess it, Happy Widow) and so on for the rest of the NPC's.

Now you might wonder why i have translated the game into Danish, instead of English. It is not because i am bad at English. But i am from Danmark, and i was thinking that it might help people who are not Danish, into learning a new words and expand their brains, beside their own language.

I have still kept the base game in English. So menus, and howering over parties will still be in English, but all towns, factions, and npc's are now either in the Danish language (or what ever language their country hails from)

About the Skandinavian languages in the game. I have decided to move a few years ahead of the time. and giving the norwegians the old Norse language (nørrent), while i have giving the Danes their ''stød'' which seperates the two languages. (Stød, it is called that internationally, it is a breathing method that only Danes use in the world when they speak. Ever heard the meme that Danes sounds like they have a potato stuck in their throat? Yep, that is stød, and it is unique. now basically Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian language is the same, we all understand each other. we all called a king for Konung, and our word for kingdom was Konungdómur. that all changed when the Danes began to speak differently, using the stød. Now it was no longer called a Konung, but it was ''Konge'', and Konungdómur would now be ''Kongedømmet''.

(example, When swedes says ''hey you'' in their own language, it would sound like ''hey dy'' and when Danes says it, it would sound like ''Hej du'' Danes sound more rough, while Swedes sounds like they sing when they speak ) so i have giving the Danes their stød and kept the rest of the scandinavian people with Old norse.

(Edited below)

I have changed some of the towns in ireland ruled by the irish kingdoms, into Skandinavian city names, so it gives space for the vikings to expand in Ireland and build multiple viking kingdoms with Skandinavian culture (teaser: including Vedrafjordr, and four other castles and two towns.)
many towns in Englaland, frisland, and ireland, i have giving the same names as Danelag and Dane hus to show the population that Danes are in charge. so in towns near Jorvík i have called them Dena lagu and Dena hûs which is saxon (meaning: Danelaw and Dane house) and in frisland near Dorestad the towns are called Denewet (meaning, Danelaw) and Dane hus (meaning Dane house) in their own languages.

(edited below)

I have giving towns / villages / Hof's a makeover. Some towns like Ribe looked a bit ''flat'' to me. so i have spent time into giving the city the love it needed, all the way down to the smallest of details.

I have decided not to change the siege scenes. for performance sake. There is a ton more items added in towns now, and i don't know how well it would handle with additionally 700 npc's fighting in them. But that aside, Ribe now looks like a trading town that every king would want to have as their own.

Link to Pictures (steam) (work in progress, Ribe): https://steamcommunity.com/id/Hrurik/screenshots

(Edited below)

Ever wanted to play the conquest of Harald Hårfager in overtake all of norway into one kingdom under a single ruler? Well i am currently trying to build that, and polishing the questline, historical battles, with Harald Hårfager against Konung Kjotvi hinn audgi. Now i can not promise any special cutscenes, but it would be badass if i manage to pull it of.

My future plans would be;

to split up and make more viking factions, battling eachother.

Build in a language mechanic, so when you are danish and travels to Norway, you would see the difference in the Danish and old norse language. And when you go as a viking to Saxon countries, and speak to a saxon lord, then they would speak saxon, and you would understand nada of what they are saying, because you do not understand saxon, and then you have to go to school and teach the language, which would then translate the languages into basic english.

create cutscenes for the conquest of Harald Hårfager.

create Iceland. Including; slavetrading, several viking families including the family of ketill flatnose trying to win the domain of iceland, and give the rights to the winners in naming the country, so maybe iceland will be the new greenland, or something else entirely?

But that is way ahead of now, and i wont promise it. But i will do my best, so wish me luck.

I will upload the mod as soon i have polished it, and are satisfied with the product myself, Constant changes are being made to make it the best Viking conquest experience.

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting mod, maybe you should add a couple of special abilities that influences kingdom policies, focus more on the small details. I can't wait till this mod is up.

Dark and gritty. Nice.

I see you're using my scene as base. Be aware that a whole lot of trunks are used in the scene. Even though they're low-poly it's a lot of geometry.
Xykms.jpg

The scene - like many others - is made based on archaeology, and only represents the marketplace by the sea. The actual town is further inland.
It's believed the marketplace was closed down during winter, and therefore very few permanent structures were erected.
When spring came traders would set up tents and minor sheds. Each trader had a parcel/lot that was theirs surrounded by a small ditch, and maybe a fence.
The fort in my scene is fictional - required by gameplay  :smile:

XolZu.jpg
UsKZt.jpg

About all the Danish/Norse names: I'm a little concerned it will be difficult to understand for those outside Scandinavia.
But it might also feel more realistic/immersive...

Som dansker er jeg selvfølgelig ligeglad :smile:

Hello there, Thank you for the respond.

So you made this scene? Nice work, it looks really great.

i am aware that my addings are not historical accurate, but i have decided to add some housing, to give it a feel of a city aswell. the trading area is still it's own, with the tents, ships and market place. but on the unused ground to the inland, i have build some houses, and a lot of forest to give it a different vibe. i hope you do not mind me doing this, considering it is your scene.

And about the translated npc's, Etc. i do understand that it might be difficult for most to understand to begin with, but i have no doubt that it will also be fun for most to see different languages that they are not accustomed with. it will make it a bit of a challenge aswell. It will also be a challenge for us Skandinavians, that do not understand Gaelic, saxon or irish. Besides, the base game i will leave in english, so it should be fairly easy enough, There are also the troop trees, to get a better feeling of the different troops.
And last when a non Skandinavian speaker, see's an NPC named ''Glædespige'' or ''Sköka'' then they might get curious and speak to them, and then they will see what they are all about. Smith's / armorers depending on which country they are from will have different names. So if you are in Skandinavia, they will be called ''Våbensmed'' and ''Rustningssmed'' and when you are in England they will call it ''wigsmið'' Etc.

I don't mind anything. I posted the info because it might give you ideas/inspiration. That's all  :smile:
It looks good, and is an improvement.
I made pretty much all scenes (and modelled houses, walls, towers, palisades etc.) so let me know if you should run into problems.

Text is added to the pictures to give a understanding of where the changed things in towns have been made.
new pictures added, Jutland. Pictures below;

Also a small status update.
I have writting all of Harald Hårfager's saga, but i have put it on a hold and not implemented it yet. saving it for future updates.

However, i have made Harald hårfager's faction in Norveg, along with some vassals to support his reign. So the conquest is possible at this moment.

I have created Jutland another viking Jarldom located inbetween Danmark and Frisland /Frisia

Once i have polished the mod some more, it will be ready for shipping.

Last edited:
Hey can you start putting more weight on kingdom policies? You should have the ability to kill kings, and have their lords overtake. And you should have the ability to become a king of another faction, if the King does of diseases or gets killed in battle. Add more realism to it, and I think it would be great. Back in Denmark, during the viking times. People tried often to assassinate, or betray, or kill royal members due to the fact that they may gain power quicker. During the viking times, people were divided in small clans each family tribe had their own sort of signature, and banner. The clans were usually the ones that had the right to rule, and the clans were the one that usually gets promoted to a higher hierarchy in order to rule over a whole country, like norway. So please add more realism to kingdom features, as Mount and Blade usually go boring after building your kingdom. SO please, if you could work on that it would be so good!

Held og lykke min ven 

troop tree edit.
three new viking clans has been added. Ylfing klan (Swedes), Skjöldungar klan (Danes) and Skilfingar klan (Northmen), each viking clan has their own shields to represent their country and specializes in different kind of weaponry.

Skjoldungar spealizes mostly in swords and spears.
Skilfingar specializes mostly in two handed axes.
and Ylfing specializes mostly in bows and one handed axes.

an additional viking clan has been added to Danmark. With 1 king and his three vassals. they reside in the king's seat of Jelling and have made it their capital, while also occupying the trading post of Árós.

Ribe has had it's name changed into the olddanish name, Ripa.

the fort of Vles inge (Frisland/Frisia) has been renamed and relocated to a historical accurate location in Danmark.

so there are now three viking factions in Danmark, competing for the danish throne. So Danmark is indeed a populated country now.

The ''surnames'' of the vikings have been changed depending on which skandinavian country they are from. If it is a Dane then it will be ''sen'' in the end of their father's name, and if it is a Northmen then it will be ''son'' instead of ''sen''
same thing have been done with the ladies. Danish women would have the name of ''datter'', while for the northmen, it will be dottir.

Harald hårfagers conquest of conquering all of Norway has begun. ,
Konung Harald hårfager, son of Halfdan Svarti, a king in the vestfold has bragged about how he wants to rule all of norway. so he is residing in his king's seat of Avaldsnes. plotting on how to take over the entire country and kill the remaining kings or make them swear an oath of homage to him.
Good luck in helping him.

Last edited:
Status update. What has been made so far? and what needs to be finished.

(1) 17 types of different vikings has been created, all hailing from all regions and clans of Skandinavia and beyond.

(2) the storyline has been altered a bit, (nothing huge) it is still the same theme and story. But some characters and locations mentioned in the storyline has been changed.

(3) Troop trees has been altered / change of gear / and no more english translations.
So good luck in figuering which troops are the best. This mod or sub-mod (whatever you prefer to call it) forces you into learning you other languages, such as, Danish, Norwegian, Gaelic, Irish, Saxon etc. etc. so it will be fun. (Note: The base game itself, will still be in English, Menus, etc. So this mod is still friendly towards English people.)

(4) renaming of all factions. no more english terms. So no longer will it be, Kingdom of Danmark, or kingdom of West seaxe. it is now ''Kongedømmet Danmark'' and ''Cynedom West Seaxe'' and so on for every faction, their names has been giving in their native languages. (as good as i could study myself to)

(5) Renaming of all norse towns, Castles and villages.
- Villages near Jorvík in England influenced by Danish Vikings have had their names changed into what translates into ''Danelaw'' or ''House of Danes'' in the danish language.
the forts controlled by the Danes and villages have had their name's changed aswell, to get the feeling of Danish Culture.
in the north England, Bebbanburh, it's villages and a fort protecting the city has kept it's original Anglo-Saxon names. to demonstrate their hatred against the Danes.
In Scotland, in the Danish controlled areas, the villages have been giving nicknames in the gaelic language by the other pict factions, to mock the skotsk who allow themselves to be ruled by the Danes.

- In Danmark the majority of villages and castles have been moved slightly around and changed names into modern major danish towns, with the spelling of the names changed from modern danish into Old Danish.

- In norway some villages have been moved slightly, and some names has been changed into real time viking settlements and tradingposts. (examples; Kaupang and Gokstad)

(6) Difference between the Skandinavian languages.
Vikings now have different variants of the Norse languages. You will now see Vikings have either, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish or Icelandic names. Along with different kind of town/villages and castle names. So some towns have Norwegian names while others have old Danish and Icelandic. The names have been picked for those towns, influenced by vikings from certain regions. In Danmark it is Danish town names, In Norway it is Norwegian townnames, in Scotland it is Hiberno viking townnames, and in ireland it is old norse when it changes from the original speech into the ''icelandic'' tone.
(Example for npc names: in the dark ages, skandinavian people did not have surnames. they bore the name of their father's. like Harald Halfdanarson. The difference here is, when you greet a norwegian character his father's name will be spelled as ''Son'' while if you meet a Danish character it will be the Danish Variation ''Søn'' and for daughters, their names will be either ''Dottir''(icelandic/hiberno) ''Dotter''(norwegian) or ''Datter''(danish)

Some towns/castles/villages in Ireland had their name changed into Skandinavian city names, to make it more ''friendly'' to a viking player. and give a feeling for the player that the vikings are expanding into Ireland with Skandinavian Culture.

one of the ten renamed locations in ireland, is Vedrafjordr, which lies west of Veisafjordr.

(7) Renaming all Npc's: that includes; titles, professions, etc.
* example: all kings are no longer ''kings'' if it is a Danish king he is tittled ''Kong'' If it is a Northman king, he is titled ''Konung'' and if it's a saxon king, he is titled ''Cyning'' and so, and all blacksmiths are no longer just a weapon smith. all common npc's has been translated into different languages. so if it's a weapon smith in Danmark, it will be a Våbensmed, and so on for every culture.

(8 ) 2-(3) new viking factions, two in Danmark and one in Norway (including the Jelling Dynasty in Danmark. And Harald Harfagri (Finehair) in Norway)

**There are now a total of three danish kingdoms trying to win the domain of Danmark, each faction are members of a kin of royalty.

Hildetandslægten (''Hilthertooth'' Dynasty) - Ruler: Hemming, Capital: Jelling, Situated in middle and eastern Jutland/Jylland
Sigfridslægten (House of Sigfrid) - Ruler: Hårik, Capital: Ripa, Situated in North, middle and South Jutland/Jylland
and Rurikslægten (the Rurikids) - Ruler: Rurik, Capital: Dorested, Situated in Frisland/Frisia and the south western coast of Jutland/Jylland

(9) scene improvements; in towns, castles, villages and Hofs (creating more detailed scenes, adding houses, lifestyles, work, boatbuilding, sacrificing poles, etc.)

now this may not sound huge, and i still have some polishing to do, before i wish to upload it. I have spend a tremendous amount of time into this. perhaps over half my playtime of mount and blade has been dedicated to the perfection of this sub-mod. It has been altered numorous of times, that i can not even put a number on it.
and it is still changing constantly. hence the reason why it is not uploaded yet.

To those of you, who are impatient. please be somewhat more patient and wait a while longer. i want this to be released in a one go and where i find it perfect and i myself are satisfied with it, so no updates or patches will be needed. This is my personal view of Viking Conquest, which i would like to share with you all.

And if i forgot to mention any tweaks i have made, then i will edit this page.

Tweaks to be made: create new designs for every viking banner.
complete all the scene improvements.
Change a few faction cultures. (advise on this, would be appreciated.)

The texture overhaul Dark age; https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-age-for-viking-conquest-released-3-4.359288/
by
ha3481

is combined into this. (Amazing texture overhaul, i love it.)

Along with the VC Balance mod; https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/vc-s-vc-balance-mod-saved-game-compatible.373658/
by
Tingyun

(Amazing tweaks, i love them as well)

All due credits to the modders who have helped and created these two mods i just mentioned, they have certainly spiced up Viking Conquest by a tonne. and it would be difficult for me to play without any of them, truth being told.

Anyways, have a good day, ladies and boys.

Best regards, Halfdan, Rurik.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom