Upcoming Terrain System

Users who are viewing this thread

InsanoPotato

Recruit
Should we, the community expect the terrain system this year?

It'd be nice to know so we can put our focus into other things, instead of hoping we'll see it soon.

I wouldn't wait for it. Come back in December instead and see what happened.
I don't even see it as a major feature that would make the gameplay much more interesting, so if you don't enjoy the game now, you won't enjoy the game with it.

I wouldn't wait for it. Come back in December instead and see what happened.
I don't even see it as a major feature that would make the gameplay much more interesting, so if you don't enjoy the game now, you won't enjoy the game with it.
I really wonder if December is even a realistic time frame considering the pace that TW works at. :unsure: I'm not trying to be an ass, but it's been over 5 months since we heard about this system and so far they haven't even show one working map. Maybe I'm being very cautious but I would think that TW would really want to showcase this system but we've haven't heard or seen anything besides wip.

I really wonder if December is even a realistic time frame considering the pace that TW works at. :unsure: I'm not trying to be an ass, but it's been over 5 months since we heard about this system and so far they haven't even show one working map. Maybe I'm being very cautious but I would think that TW would really want to showcase this system but we've haven't heard or seen anything besides wip.
It's their fault for keeping us in the dark. The map making progress could be at 1% or 99% for all we know and all the information about the feature is negative ("it will not be in the next few patches" etc.).
A normal game company would publish stuff like "we are about halfway through with the maps, here are some screenshots" to keep the fans engaged.

It's their fault for keeping us in the dark. The map making progress could be at 1% or 99% for all we know and all the information about the feature is negative ("it will not be in the next few patches" etc.).
A normal game company would publish stuff like "we are about halfway through with the maps, here are some screenshots" to keep the fans engaged.
Agreed, I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it TW is their own worst enemy.

I guess this idea really accelerated in a frame of 1-2 months internally. I remember they were talking about adding new maps to the game around December 2020 and didn't plan to revamp the system ( some users were complaining that the current system was too boring / predictable and somewhat unbalanced )
If I'm not mistaken, they showed us this system around February, so yeah my guess is that it's been shown too early.

I guess this idea really accelerated in a frame of 1-2 months internally. I remember they were talking about adding new maps to the game around December 2020 and didn't plan to revamp the system ( some users were complaining that the current system was too boring / predictable and somewhat unbalanced )
If I'm not mistaken, they showed us this system around February, so yeah my guess is that it's been shown too early.
It's stupid **** like this that gets projects delayed or even canceled.
Imagine the actual debate:
Armagan: Guys, some people find our battle maps boring, what should we do?
Not-Armagan: Nothing, we are late with things that we must do as it is!
Armagan: No, wait, some guy suggested we could have zoomed in parts of the world map as battle maps! How cool is that?
Not-Armagan: It's cool, but then we'll need a hundred or so handmade new maps, we can't possibly do this in time.
Armagan: Okay, we are doing this, Callum, fire up that video editor right now!
Not-Armagan: I quit.

And they announce this one month before they were supposed to release (which gets postponed then).

Last edited:
Armagan: No, wait, some guy suggested we could have zoomed in parts of the world map as battle maps! How cool is that?
Not-Armagan: It's cool, but then we'll need a hundred or so handmade new maps, we can't possibly do this in time.

And they announce this one month before they were supposed to release (which gets postponed then).
Sounds legit

Scope creep.

Or being responsive to changing demands.

All a matter of perspective.

Personally, I creep every scope I get a hold of. Nothing like changing situations to improve contract longevity.

Honestly this possibly sounds like what really happened during that time.

@Antaeus , yeah I scope-creep or more precisely feature-creep everytime, if anything I don't think the scope of that game did change that much, I could link you dozens of video games including AAAs that were victim of that effect in a more violent manner.

In all honesty I should have quoted the dev who wrote they didn't plan to revamp the map system because it could also result of a lack of communication between them, one saying it's not on the table for now while the rest of the team doesn't think so.
I don't have the energy to dig the relevant threads. ( around December 2020 )

Scope creep.

Or being responsive to changing demands.

All a matter of perspective.

Personally, I creep every scope I get a hold of. Nothing like changing situations to improve contract longevity.
I don't understand what you are saying. What do you mean?

Realistically, the game's current state is nearly featureless compared to what was originally promised. They have completed some aspects, but at the same time, this is Warband with a new paint job (minus the features missing from Warband).

At this point, I'd wager that Bannerlord was 80% a cash grab and 20% a genuine idea.

Having said that, it's not the fault of the community calling a spade a spade, it's the fault of Taleworlds for promising so much and delivering so little. I'm still optimistic that newer features will be added, but I'm also pessimistic that this game will be feature complete by this time next year.

I don't understand what you are saying. What do you mean?

It's a project management joke.

I suspect the map system is an example of scope creep (or as SOku says, specifically feature creep) - It wasn't initially budget for, but some keen developers convinced the money people that it could be done, sold them on the excitement it generates here in our discussions, maybe one of them sold a kidney to fund the extra development time (or perhaps we lost some other features to fund the extra development time) now we're seeing the impact of that - unreliable timelines and resources being pulled in different directions.

Scope creep is when your project starts to move beyond it's initially negotiated parameters or goals. This could be caused by client demands or through changing project requirements or by extra keen developers. Scope creep often means budget blowout, so is to be avoided - unless you're wanting to fleece your client... then you can use it as an opportunity for negotiated contract variation. I.e. Give us some more $$ so we can finish your project.

Last edited:
It wasn't initially budget for, but some keen developers convinced the money people that it could be done, sold them on the excitement it generates here in our discussions,
We have a special case here where an engineer is the owner and calls the shots, bypassing the org chart which may have been neat on paper with managers and team leads and everything. It's like a lunatic running the asylum.
It reminds me of a real life project I was part of that had (good) teams in three countries, but the manager abdicated his authority to the (brilliant) lead engineer. The project was canceled after it failed to meet its first real milestones because the scope was expanded all the time.

It's a project management joke.

I suspect the map system is an example of scope creep (or as SOku says, specifically feature creep) - It wasn't initially budget for, but some keen developers convinced the money people that it could be done, sold them on the excitement it generates here in our discussions, maybe one of them sold a kidney to fund the extra development time (or perhaps we lost some other features to fund the extra development time) now we're seeing the impact of that - unreliable timelines and resources being pulled in different directions.

Scope creep is when your project starts to move beyond it's initially negotiated parameters or goals. This could be caused by client demands or through changing project requirements or by extra keen developers. Scope creep often means budget blowout, so is to be avoided - unless you're wanting to fleece your client... then you can use it as an opportunity for negotiated contract variation. I.e. Give us some more $$ so we can finish your project.
I appreciate the explanation.

Back
Top Bottom