Upcoming games you nitpicky ****bags look forward to ***** about in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

It was inevitable since the multitude of gadgets that run games became available to the widest possible audience, not just the middle class nerds whose parents were able to buy them an expensive toy, like it was in the 80s with Commodores and stuff.
If people keep buying crap because it's good enough for them or they are clueless consumers, then crap will keep being made and shoveled through the internet tubes into your weary brain.
If you are saying that game devs are making crap games that fail to sell, then I'd like to hear more about it, because the market forces should crush the failures.

After all these years of gaming I have found myself several "comfort games", Total War being one of them, so I too skip 99.9% of new games. Quality aside, many game franchises develop into a direction that I'm not interested in. Changing the settings into futuristic sci-fi, a ****ty looking post-apocalyptic world (seriously people, wtf), making the game's action more hyper instead of realistic, etc. That's why I stick to Total War for so long. It's generally the same, just set on different but similarly interesting historical setting, but with technical upgrades. Even so, they deviate a little bit with Warhammer, and naturally I despise that game.

It's not just gaming platforms that are available to everyone. The tools to make games also are. Anyone can put together something on Unity, it would be surprising if the percentage of good games being made had stayed the same. There's also an undeniable subjective aspect to what makes a "good" game, complicating things :smile:.

Man, good thing I don't get into game development. Hinds would probably track me down and put a magnet to my HDD.

As was said, the resources are ubiquituous nowadays, and folks got a surplus of time at the moment. And quite frankly, when all is said and done, unproven ideas aren't guaranteed to pay the bills. Or even likely.

Right and that's another thing, original games are not necessarily good and unoriginal games are not necessarily bad. One could argue that Stardew Valley is a Harvest Moon clone but it is a pretty damn good game.

Reminds me of SovietWomble's latest piece on The Isle, in which he's up in arms about industry being too shy about trying out new things, but also warns people about buying into the 'fresh' idea game that is the center piece of his essay. Original ideas, bar few bullseyes every decade, die in the gutter. You need it to be actually good, have people able to develop it proper and even more people that will be smart about the money behind it. That's a lot of planets to align.

And on a topic more relevant to the thread,
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
EDIT: To explain, they're basically now giving King's Bounty treatment to Disciples series.

I've played one (1) game released in the past 10 years.

I'm considering trying Winds of Trade and Democracy 4, but I'll probably wait a couple of years first. When my current laptop breaks down and I have to buy a new and better one, I might be able to test this hot new thing they call Bannerlord :ROFLMAO:

I've played one (1) game released in the past 10 years.
If I were in your shoes, I would be very happy I didn't play Mass Effect, because I could play it without knowing the story. Try the recent Legendary edition that gives it a graphics update if you are into sleeping with people from work.

Original ideas, bar few bullseyes every decade, die in the gutter.
And even if the original idea is great, it might still lack polish because it's still new, resulting in a lot of "good game but still lacking" sentiment. Old game franchise like Total War, on the other hand, would have the time to learn and improve on each iteration.

I stopped buying Total Wars after falling for the ****show that was Empire. Ever since I've only played Shogun 2 after it got offered for free, played two campaigns, felt no urge to return to it. Don't they have another hot potato on their hands with killing Three Kingdoms to make another, better Three Kingdoms with hookers and blackjack now?

Back
Top Bottom