Upcoming games you nitpicky ****bags look forward to ***** about in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

@Kentucky James VII this video came out yesterday, how close is it to your own vision?

Strange, I swear I actually responded to this. I must have done it in a dream or something equally stupid.

I was going to say something similar to what Noudelle said. It looks more like a moderate to fast paced RTS with some building stuff, which is a weird combination, like how grand ages medieval was just a strange mess of a game.

My final vision is to make an interconnected set of systems where you play as a group of characters and can work your way up to becoming a king, but I'm going to start by designing the mechanics for high level stuff like armies and city building before doing low level RPG stuff.

Ideally I would like something where individual characters can't actually progress that much very easily, for example a slave might become a freeman or escape to being a nomad if he's lucky, but then allow you to play at the rank of any character you've fully befriended in a playthrough. After seeing what happened to bannerlord I really want to avoid the thing where the player is encouraged to grind social mobility to skip the early game. There should be things you can do as a peasant that you can't do as king, and "higher level" characters should just be a different experience, not just a flatly better one.

My plan is also to completely do away with numeric player stats and instead have a series of named "traits" which each have a small hidden value assigned. Even health could work this way. So instead of having "stealth 50", most characters would start out without a stealth stat at all, and when it is first assigned it will read as "good at hiding", then tick up to "practically invisible" or something. Even health could work this way. I much prefer qualitative stuff like this, it's definitely easier to get a full picture of a character by reading a list of 10 or so traits than to see an array of numbers. I hope that by doing this I can avoid the alienating numbers game that most games have.

In Total War, Civ and Endless Space / Legend, this moment frequently occurs in the event of a mere setback. Because in these games, even a minor setback can mean total defeat.

To add to this, it's even sillier how in total war there are no truly decisive battles. Despite it being so much about racing against the AI, armies can be spammed out so quickly that a massive 5:1 casualty victory will only net you a couple of settlements. You execute a perfect strategy in a battle and suffer minor losses, but you know it's just a matter of time before you'll have to do the same thing again. In fact in Shogun 2 (and i think some of the later games), the AI actually gets free veteran units in the fog of war. You're always fighting against something they didn't earn, and you have to annihilate them to stop the troop factory.

Hogwarts Legacy follows the wizarding world lore set out in the original Harry Potter novels but is an original story from the studio, not written by J.K. Rowling.

You'll play as a student attending Hogwarts in the late 1800s, attending classes and learning magic alongside other students.

Avalanche is calling Hogwarts Legacy an "immersive, open-world action RPG." The immersive part may or may not mean a whole lot, but it sounds like you may be able to freely explore Hogwarts and other familiar locations while leveling and customizing your student. They've mentioned that you will be able to choose your student's school house at the beginning of the game.

>not written by J.K. Rowling.

c43.jpg

I hope it's the players just being terrible but those fights were way too short. When you have a game with almost an equal time of loading and fighting it's a very bad sign.

I was playing against the AI and then my sister for a bit, it isn't just the players, fights really go fast. You can kill people with one button press based on what their opening move is. The time to kill is way too low. I get what they were going for and it does create some funny moments where you both die because sword strikes aren't cancelled by death, but for the most part it makes fights more about reaction times than anything. Even by hema autist standards you die too quickly, with a single nick to the head killing instantly.

The feedback is also pretty bad, especially when you're close together it's hard to tell what's going on and the animations don't seem to fire. I'm reminded a lot of exanima which had a lot of the same issues (fights too short, animations are fluid but impossible to track, automatic blocking means it's hard to tell when you can attack).

The bouts in fencing are short because even the tiniest hit can result in a pause. In a real duel both people are fighting to the death, so to see them do their overly exaggerated death animation after two cuts to the hand is a bit ridiculous and completely ruins the flow of the game. I feel like the pacing would be much better and combos more interesting if it was more like 5-6 hits rather than just 1 or 2.

I didn't have a chance to try it yesterday. I'll give it a go and share my HEMA practitioner opinion on it (god, I miss my sparrings, we've only met to cross swords once since March)

After a first dip, I like what I see. It's very barebones and needs a lot of work but I like how visceral and quick the fights are. I had a few very tense bouts with the AI where we were both exchanging blows, parrying, grappling and disengaging. When it clicks, it has the potential of being great. There's also a lot of flailing and animations not triggering properly and when that happens it spoils the good bits a little, but I'm hopeful.

With the side-on view, my brain has trouble placing whether the swords are on the inside or outside of each other and linking that to the appropriate attack directions to bypass the opponent's blade, but that's down to practice I guess.

Edit: Btw, there's a damage multiplier in the options that you can set as low as 0,2 (default is 1) if you feel the fights end too quickly (or as high as 2 if you want nothing but one-hit kills). Still, even at the lowest damage setting, a solid swing to the head was a one-hit kill.

Last edited:

So turns out this bad boy is releasing into early access next week. Looks quite awesome and do I spot a bit of directional melee in there?

The Blade Runner (1997) remaster has been delayed to sometime next year.
And our hunt for the original source code and assets have come up empty." ?

I look forward to it, even though it looks weirdly smoothed. I prefer the original.

What are they doing?

Not sure if this is the right place to put it as it almost goes completely against the title of the thread, but for anyone that was looking forward to...

VALHALL
The Viking Battle Royale
header_292x136.jpg

You should probably abandon all hope, it's been released as a 'pre-beta' test for around $43AUD and has been revealed to be mainly UE assets with a clunky, buggy combat system and the multiplayer aspect has been delayed until at least Q1 2020. They had one full time programmer who left the project a few days after the release citing some shady development processes and bad mismanagement.

It's a shame because it looked sort of cool from the older trailers, and was branching out from being just battle royale. I'll reserve my full judgement until multiplayer is in, but the future of it doesn't look too bright.

That game looks like a scam, or just a fiasco.

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope is realeasing in a few days.
I tried the Man of Medan (first game in the anthology) and it was disappointing, so this time I'll wait for some reviews.
Hopefully there's a decent story this time.

They started another round of OpenDev and I managed to get in. Don't really have much time to squeeze everything out of it, but from what I've seen so far waiting till April will be excruciating. It is amazeballs take on civlike, though snowballing will be an enormous issue unless they decide to do something about it. Combat system is brilliant, but I have no idea how they'll pack modern weaponry into it.

Not sure if this is the right place to put it as it almost goes completely against the title of the thread, but for anyone that was looking forward to...

VALHALL
The Viking Battle Royale
header_292x136.jpg

You should probably abandon all hope, it's been released as a 'pre-beta' test for around $43AUD and has been revealed to be mainly UE assets with a clunky, buggy combat system and the multiplayer aspect has been delayed until at least Q1 2020. They had one full time programmer who left the project a few days after the release citing some shady development processes and bad mismanagement.

It's a shame because it looked sort of cool from the older trailers, and was branching out from being just battle royale. I'll reserve my full judgement until multiplayer is in, but the future of it doesn't look too bright.
That game looks like a bannerlord mod. Graphics are are better than bannerlord, render distance looks much better. Perhaps in 5 years bannerlod will look like that too.
ss_fa32c685a8f9e6cf08c670a46e15853a9a599837.jpg

Back
Top Bottom