Upcoming games you nitpicky ****bags look forward to ***** about in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Kentucky James said:
I dunno, I'm not that bothered by linear quests so long as they're well written, since most of the choices boil down to gameplay approaches anyway (as seen in the trailer). And if the developers tell me that a quest has 5 outcomes, or even if the quest is designed to telegraph to me that it is multi-ended, it just becomes a tree with a couple of branches that you learn to spot quite easily. It's not all that interesting, especially given that video game writers typically aren't very good at accounting for any of the stuff I might want to do as a character.
This is one game where I would actually prefer it to go the Fallout 4 / Bethesda route of having a linear main quest line, and then some action driven emergent quests to complement the open world.

tl;dr i jus wanna mess around in neo-tokyo without being pestered by psuedo-linear quests posing as completely open-ended mini-plots  ;_;

Probably an heretic opinion in the day and age of "muh choices", but I quite agree.

Also, the dialogue was indeed all quite terrible and the edginess and attempted "cool" factor are quite forced and makes it cringeworthy :

Tennessee Jack said:
I physically cringed when she said she was "cleaner than a **** in a convent".

Definitely. LITERALLY NOONE WOULD EVER SAY THAT. Great example of trying too hard to make the protagonist sound badass.

I watched the trailer again and had even more stuff to whinge about.

It suffers from the common cyberpunk contradiction of trying to have a seedy underworld in an unimaginably debaucherous city, but at the same time it's a sort of technological utopia with giant office blocks and huge shopping centres. They're trying to make Kowloon Walled City but with modern Seoul or Tokyo running through its veins. As someone who actually lives in a crime-filled area, I can't get used to the contrast. There are these supposedly dangerous gangsters who behave like suburban drug dealers. There are car chases with guns but the other drivers just honk their horns in mild frustration. And the main characters never show any fear or even surprise at having pistols shoved in their faces. The tension is negligible. It's a theme park ride. It's been too long since the cold war and Poles have forgotten what makes a dystopia believable. :iamamoron:

I'm nitpicking because i absolutely loved the visuals and the designs of everything, but the worldbuilding seems paper thin at the moment and I can't get behind a game which prodes itself on immersion when it's this poorly written.

Green Hell is in early acccess, so technically not upcoming. It's standard survival, set in the Amazon rainforest.
But with some detailed ideas, like putting maggots in infected wounds, vomiting from unclean water, and crafting different types of traps with bait.

On Cyberpunk and linear/branched quests and character interaction: is simply impossible as long as you are required to have pre-recorded voicelines. All you can have is some generic comments.

The only time I've seen this work was in a very controlled environment, the Forgotten City mod for Skyrim. You can't leave the place until you reach a solution, your interactions are limited, and each possible ending is basically a ladder of completion, where you get the "totally good" ending by reaching the complete solution. And the guy who wrote the script won a screenwriting award for it. Imagine trying to make the entire game like that while keeping it open.

Adorno said:
Green Hell is in early acccess, so technically not upcoming. It's standard survival, set in the Amazon rainforest.
But with some detailed ideas, like putting maggots in infected wounds, vomiting from unclean water, and crafting different types of traps with bait.

Damn it, why are all these survival games some kind of variant on a modern person being stranded somewhere? Couldn't they do something where you're in a stone age environment working with a tribe of some sort? It might still end up being a cancerous survival game, but at least it'd be something different in terms of actual theme. Why can't they take some cues from UnReal World?

Scuba Steve said:
Adorno said:

Damn it, why are all these survival games some kind of variant on a modern person being stranded somewhere? Couldn't they do something where you're in a stone age environment working with a tribe of some sort? It might still end up being a cancerous survival game, but at least it'd be something different in terms of actual theme. Why can't they take some cues from UnReal World?

Maybe Far Cry Primal would make you happy, if not for the fact that melee combat sucks.

Pathologic 2 is in Alpha now. I haven't played enough to recommend it, but it has some nice ideas.
The downside is it's still at its core a survival game, with the usual thirst/hunger challenge - as if that wasn't already the most boring part of life.
Not visually stunning, but with its own special style, and open world, day/night cycle. Built with the Unity engine

http://www.pathologic-game.com/

Thronebreaker is a single player role-playing game set in the world of The Witcher that combines narrative-driven exploration with unique puzzles and card battle mechanics.

DnX_cjPUUAIcMkH.jpg

DnX_cjUU8AEWjsr.jpg

looks cool

It's literally the singleplayer campaign for the Gwent game, that they decided had grown too big to be an update and have made standalone instead

Back
Top Bottom