Upcoming games you nitpicky ****bags look forward to ***** about in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Supermassive Games have announced they're now making games for PC.
An anthology called The Dark Pictures is on the way, starting with Man of Medan.
I'm pretty disappointed though. The story looks boringly unoriginal. Maybe the other games will be more interesting.

I actually watched most of a "let's play" of Until Dawn (console only game), and it looked fun. Classic 90's teenage horror flick style.

https://www.thedarkpictures.com/

Tennessee Jack said:
This game basically looks like a modern version of games like Tenchu and Blood Will Tell, which rules. I yearn for a return to PS2 era action adventure games.

Looks more like an attempt to combine Onimusha and Tenchu with Dark Souls.

https://www.pcgamer.com/steel-division-2-is-a-11-scale-rts-inside-a-massive-turn-based-wargame/

This campaign looks quute interesting, i wish the first one had something similar.

Tennessee Jack said:
The gameplay is interesting, but the writing is awful and I absolutely hated the main characters.

What was awful about the writing? It was a little meh at some points, but nothing stood out to me as being particularly terrible.

And if indeed all of these different ways of completing a quest isnt an exception to the rule (as mostly the baron's quest in witcher 3 was, more or less...) then... HYPE

Scuba Steve said:
Tennessee Jack said:
The gameplay is interesting, but the writing is awful and I absolutely hated the main characters.

What was awful about the writing? It was a little meh at some points, but nothing stood out to me as being particularly terrible.

He's/she's being his/her horrifically unrealistic self again. You're talking to the "person" that thinks Spartacus and Stalingrad, two perfectly acceptable historical epics/dramas/gash, are literally terrible. Literally. This is yet another example of DoctorMasturbationThirty employing so much wanking hyperbole that the economy has once again collapsed. The ability for a (((((((human))))))) to misconstrue the definition and strength of a word to that extent is gastronomically hilarious.

Scuba Steve said:
Tennessee Jack said:

Me neither, but the heavy handed one-dimensional characterisation was pretty annoying. Despite all that dialogue, all I managed to get from it was that the main character likes to drink and the side character is...cautious? I guess? He felt like a tutorial character rather than a sidekick. Maybe they just picked a particularly boring backstory, and the dialogue probably changes depending on that, but still.

Scuba Steve said:
Never hype. Hype only causes disappointment later.

Words to live by. What often disappoints me in game is that you have these starting quests that are all fleshed out and ****, but the actual meat of the gameplay is boring and unidimensional. Take the citadel quest in the first Mass Effect, you have a couple of different ways of finishing it, you can go to the broker, you can talk to wrex or you can talk to harkin instead, you can go to the clinic or not, etc... But most of the quests just have a completely linear progression with a big choice at the end, and most of the subquests are simply "go to place, kill things inside". Even worse, in Fable, the first quest has a lot of stuff you can do, moral choices that are more interesting than anything the game has to offer with its dumb play (which I love). That's a reason I'm always skeptical about game footage, it's easy to do one cool quest with multilayered plots and differing solutions and outcome, but can the game consistently deliver the same quality of quests in the following hours of play? I tend to think most don't.

I dunno, I'm not that bothered by linear quests so long as they're well written, since most of the choices boil down to gameplay approaches anyway (as seen in the trailer). And if the developers tell me that a quest has 5 outcomes, or even if the quest is designed to telegraph to me that it is multi-ended, it just becomes a tree with a couple of branches that you learn to spot quite easily. It's not all that interesting, especially given that video game writers typically aren't very good at accounting for any of the stuff I might want to do as a character.
This is one game where I would actually prefer it to go the Fallout 4 / Bethesda route of having a linear main quest line, and then some action driven emergent quests to complement the open world.

tl;dr i jus wanna mess around in neo-tokyo without being pestered by psuedo-linear quests posing as completely open-ended mini-plots  ;_;

Back
Top Bottom