Upcoming games you nitpicky ****bags look forward to ***** about in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

:lol:
v2LvR.jpg
November 11th. Don't you remember?

November 11th. Don't you remember?
That's old info, the new is "first half of 2023". And I'm unironically waiting for this and nothing else really, even if that doesn't make me special. Because you know it will be the GOTY after a disastrous launch and a few sizable patches, and it will have the satisfying open world RPG loops as in TES games.
88d09616b0c4c04342989d9de2c2c5647ed1867f5516183f5dd53c92dc2e16a1_1.jpg

Finally got around to watching the Starfield gameplay video. I don't know how I feel about it tbh. A lot of games promise a massive open world/galaxy, but I hope they can make it interesting. Bigger isn't always better, and having 1000 planets is a waste of time if there's not enough to differentiate them or if the gameplay becomes boring. The combat looks pretty standard: nothing new, but I expect it will be fun. Hopefully stealth is an option and I can sneak around and oneshot people like I did in Skyrim. Ship combat looked cool. I hope the flying is well-implemented and fun, because if it is, I can see myself enjoying that.

The graphics are disappointing. I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here, but why is everything so shiny? Metal surfaces are shiny, but they don't really look like metal, which is ****ing weird. It's hard to describe. People are shiny, ground is shiny. Rain magnifies the shininess exponentially. This seems to be trend with video games now. Warfame has it bad in places: what should be metal doesn't look like metal: it's like you're surrounded by shiny plastic. I hate it. Shiny people and ground seem common, going all the way back to Rome II. You'd think developers would have found a way to improve that by now. The lighting looked bland. When the ships took off and landed, the fire effects from the thrusters were completely ****: hopefully they were placeholders. I know it was probably running on Xbox, but overall I felt like the game looked years out of date already.

Bigger isn't always better, and having 1000 planets is a waste of time if there's not enough to differentiate them or if the gameplay becomes boring.
Big Elite: Dangerous vibes on this one. Sure, you can land on a bunch of planets in ED, but they're just rocks with different color palettes (mostly browns, oranges, reds, yellows, and greys). No Man's Sky also comes to mind, with its immense volume of procedurally generated planets which have flora, fauna, and a wider variety of biomes and terrain features, but every planet is one big biome and there are always fewer than a dozen types of critters running around. Once you've seen one planet of a specific type, you've seen them all. The point in favor of Starfield here is that you can at least make use of a particularly neat spot that you find by building a base there (unlike ED), but NMS encourages you to do that too and it is most efficient to do so on multiple planets of different types to feed the crafting cycle.

Hopefully stealth is an option and I can sneak around and oneshot people like I did in Skyrim.
There is a brief bit in the gameplay footage of the intro scene where the player is sneaking up on two enemies who are sitting and standing next to a computer terminal, oblivious to the player until they get too close. It's a staple in TES and Fallout games, I don't see it going away for this one, and it will probably be just as overpowered.

People are shiny, ground is shiny.
Dirt: shiny. Rock: shiny. Metal on ship boarding ramp: matte? Concrete in research lab: extra ****in' shiny, like it just rained inside shiny. It's like the fad where every night-time city scene has to be lit with bright neon signs and littered with puddles like it only just stopped raining so we can show off ray-tracing. Or, more appropriately, like when Oblivion came out and they were so damn proud of their bloom lighting effects that they were cranked to 11 and you couldn't stand to look at it.

The graphics are disappointing. I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here, but why is everything so shiny? Metal surfaces are shiny, but they don't really look like metal, which is ****ing weird. It's hard to describe. People are shiny, ground is shiny. Rain magnifies the shininess exponentially. This seems to be trend with video games now.

Yeah I thought this trend would have died in the 2020s but its still here. Art directors have no self control.

It's also laughable how bad the faces look. Bethesda seems to completely screw them up in every other title. I know people love skyrim but the faces in that are cringeworthy, and these ones seem worse than the fallout 4 faces. Considering Bethesda only has high hiring requirements for its artists and just intern-spams almost everything else, it boggles the mind that such an integral part of their games so often looks terrible.

Here is some gameplay from The Day Before, one of the most anticipated games of 2023.
It's 10 minutes of moving down a street, customizing a gun, and finally shooting a few zombies.
It all looks nice (generic) and super boring.

Starfield impressed me more this time around than in the first gameplay video I saw back in January. I mean, I'm not jumping up and down in excitement, but hey, I'd play it. The combat looked good. Give me a suppressor and the chance to sneak around and oneshot people in the head, and yeah, I'm up for that.

Star Wars: Outlaws looks cool and interesting. I like the underworld setting, and I'm very glad we're getting to fight some different baddies and see some new locations. The ground gameplay looked good: if stealth is going to be the way to go, fingers crossed for some suppressed weapons to take people out quietly without having to melee them. Although that 'tap on the shoulder, punch in the face' takedown was awesome.

Sidetrack/rant: space combat looked really lame. I guess it looked on par with the space combat in other SW games. It's designed for consoles, so presumably it's not meant to be challenging or require any kind skill in piloting or aiming: hold 'aim' to lock on to TIE, hold 'fire' until his health bar goes away. Rinse and repeat. Boo.

Also, the cinematic trailer for SW: Outlaws is ****ing awesome. It looks great; it feels like a movie trailer. I recall there was a CGI trailer for Star Wars: Squadrons that was really good, too. **** making 2-minute video game trailers, Disney should hire these CGI studios to make a TV series.

Starfield impressed me more this time around than in the first gameplay video I saw back in January. I mean, I'm not jumping up and down in excitement, but hey, I'd play it. The combat looked good. Give me a suppressor and the chance to sneak around and oneshot people in the head, and yeah, I'm up for that.

I'm willing to bet though that the combat is essentially all there is, and what they showed is the full extent of its depth. The entire showcase is the player going to raider camps or dungeons and shooting health bars.

Then Todd Howard having the audacity to market this as some gamechanging paradigm shift they only had the tech to do now, when its just No Mans Sky with loading screens, is laughable. Jetpacking around and shooting people looks fun but I've been doing that in star wars battlefront 2 for almost 20 years.

I dig that look, to be honest, but I too am afraid that it will be a game in which you'll need to entertain yourself aside of some set pieces. I never got the 'quicksave and bother NPCs' appeal that Bethesda games have to many people, same as how I don't understand why people were so upset about that whole wanted thing in CP2077.

Many hours of gameplay, for sure, but I'll be enjoying them after a deep sale.

You will all play Starfield (when it's fixed) and love it and spend 100s of hours on the game, but very few would admit it, because you must complain about established studios and franchises. This is not good for your mental health.

You will all play Starfield (when it's fixed)
Emphasis mine.

Further clarification: when it's fixed by modders as is always the case with Bethesda RPGs, in which case we are justified in complaining about the established studio because they once again leave it to others to cobble together a game out of a heap of disjointed and barely-implemented features.

It'll be pretty sick though.

Back
Top Bottom