[UNPOPULAR OPINION] The amount of "mods" on nexus will KILL the game

Users who are viewing this thread

Got a source on that? I would think percentage of users that use mods vary very much from game to game. As mods were such a huge part of warband I would be surprised if the majority of bannerlords active players are not using/have not tried mods.

You can check the most downloaded mod on Nexus and compare to Steam sales.

You can check the most downloaded mod on Nexus and compare to Steam sales.
That might not be all that far from a reasonable ballpark estimate. While Steam isn't the only source of M&B sales, since the original game was sold on CD through just about every game store, and GOG, Amazon, and others offer original M&B and Warband downloads, it's also true that Nexus isn't the only source for M&B mods. I suspect that a lot of mods would have been downloaded from the Taleworld site itself, and not everyone who uses mods would have downloaded the most popular mod, so the figures for mod users would probably be a bit below the real percentage.

I'd still be willing to bet that significantly less that 1/2 of the players used mods.

I'd still be willing to bet that significantly less that 1/2 of the players used mods.
I'd put the number at much less than 1/10th, actually. On nexus, which I believe to be the premier source of bannerlord mods, the most popular mods have at most around 200k unique downloads since day 1 of the game's release. The sales of Bannerlord sit at estimated 5-10 million on Steam alone.

The bottom line is, that only a fraction of game's buyers actually play with mods.

Last edited:
Perhaps TW should have release the game full instead of early access, as it seems their is an obvious lack of communication between the fan base and the development team which led to players fixing bugs themselves...

There are currently many "mods" on the nexus page. I will discuss the current state by making successive assumptions :
1) The current "mods" are not mods. They are tweaks

2) Bannerlord's true mods are and will be swarmed into the utter crap that is the mod community right now. Impossible to browse through high quality content mods.

3) Adding mods on top of mods will mean a raise in troubles, considering the game is already prone to trouble. Most tweaks use harmony when it is not needed, resulting in a larger risk of trouble that is not easy to solve.

4) Mods working together cannot work in MB, tweaks can. You have created a tweaking platform.

5) Balance is more than a problem. It is non existent

6) Remember that you are ruining the early access by providing those mods, not enabling people to report NATIVE BUGS but instead swarming the forums with mods-related bugs.

To conclude, if your "mod" is not necessary to the community, don't release it. You are ruining the game.

If you make a translation, CONTACT THE AUTHOR and give him your file but don't put it on moddb/nexus. Remember, it is NOT your work.

Currently, Nexus is in a very bad state. It could work for skyrim because every part of the game was decorrelated from the others. But here, everything is interconnected.

I will establish a list of people - modders and tweakers - and people will be able to classify tweakers and modders and browse their work via a python script. So basically tweakers will be blacklisted.
I agree on many points besides the "i will establish a list". Who are you? Perhaps you should post a resume or some credentials if you want to be taken seriously. For all i know you're some pre-teen know it all that vastly over estimates their skills. Your descriptions are vague and nontechnical. As of right this moment you seem like a wannabe.

The bottom line is, that only a fraction of game's buyers actually play with mods.
Only a fraction of the games buyers actually play the game. It may have sold millions but averages 15-20k concurrent users.

We don't know how many unique users are playing bannerlord actively, my guess would be maybe 50-150k, we will probably never know, but looking at sale totals seems odd since concurrent users has been dropping since release. Why would we count people that aren't even playing the game? Obviously the ones who won't touch the game till huge update/release aren't using mods.

For the most popular mods, downloads since release doesn't really show how many of the players use mods as player count has dropped significantly. As an example take bannerlord tweaks. The 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 versions together have roughly 40k unique downloads, total is 600k. Most of that 600k will be people downloading new versions of the mod. Looking at downloads per game version or mod version would give more accurate estimates for how many are using that mod.

The sales of Bannerlord sit at estimated 5-10 million on Steam alone.

5-10 million sales? WTF are they doing with all the money?

Let´s say they earn 30€ for each copy (Steam takes their part) then you still have 150 Million € if they sold 5 million copies.

I think your numbers are wrong, do you have any source?

I don't understand the "why should we" attitude when it comes to helping the devs fix bugs WE want fixed. If you're modding the game, you have the possibility of coming across a non native bug. The more mods you have, the more chance of this happening. And if you're submitting non native bug reports, you're wasting the dev's time.

If you're going to mod the game, please know what's in the mod you're downloading, because a lot of mods will change things outside of the scope of their description. And if you're going to mod the game, please consider your bug reports carefully. Perhaps disable mods first and try and replicate the error on a clean save. Let's help the devs by ensuring they either get good information, or don't get bad information.

This is a Nexus problem that they are not categorizing Bannerlord mods. For example with Warband, you can select to view only 'total conversions'. They need better organization. I agree that it is very difficult to find mods on Nexus right now.

In fact Nexus seems to really be going downhill lately. Maybe time for a new website/software.

The reason only "Tweaks" are available now is because the devs are not supporting modding AT ALL right now. Basically negative support. Modders have to decompile the game libraries to even find class names. If/when the devs provide the promised tools and documentation we may see better and larger mods appear.

The reason only "Tweaks" are available now is because the devs are not supporting modding AT ALL right now. Basically negative support. Modders have to decompile the game libraries to even find class names
Complete pure BS. That modders can look through the all the code is amazing, it is in no way a negative for modders. Moving everything to dlls and essentially implementing the vanilla game as a mod shows they are actively trying/planning to support mods/modders.

Modders have to decompile the game libraries to even find class names
Of course, so what? Do you understand programming? Which game (not even fully released lmao) provides coding documentation? Even with documentation, being able to use a decompiler to see how they use/implement stuff only helps. What more could they do? Release the full source code(which they essentially have as we can use decompilers)?

From a coding perspective, a bit of documentation could help but is in no way necessary. Since they are and will be changing the code significantly throughout EA there is no reason to make tons of soon to be outdated documentation. This is also why modders won't and shouldn't make too big mods coding wise since it might have to be completely redone any patch/hotfix.

The main reasons big mods/total overhauls aren't being released are they take time and people are waiting on modding tools since you can't really add content without them.

In conclusion, the devs are supporting the modders.
I really wish people would stop trying to claim the developers aren't supporting modders/mods. They have been and are very supportive of mods, both in warband and bannnerlord.

With bannerlord they have made huge improvements for coding modders. They have even mentioned modding tools in the near future which would imply before full release.

People are complaining about no big/real mods while complaining about the devs leaving it to modders to fix the game. At the same time people complain about the devs not releasing mod tools while complaining about them not fixing the base game. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Patience truly is a virtue.

But mod tools weren't there on release and they didn't immediately release full tutorials for how to do everything so 0/10, unsupportive devs (SARCASM)

This is a Nexus problem that they are not categorizing Bannerlord mods. For example with Warband, you can select to view only 'total conversions'. They need better organization. I agree that it is very difficult to find mods on Nexus right now.
Umm... they are categorized in Bannerlord as well.

... a bunch of nonsense...
The only possible way they could support the modders less would be to not release the game at all, lol. Decompiled DLLs are not code and you can't see the implementation since the compiler changes the implementation for efficiency and other concerns. I'm not saying other games support modders any better, because a lot of them don't, but TaleWorlds has nothing to lose by doing so. It would cost them $0 to let modders see documentation/source code, and if it's a licensing concern they could easily make you sign something before you have access to it, and revoke that access on bad behavior.

I'm very curious to see your own programming skills at work if you think this is good support. I have a sneaking suspicion your experience is 0.

Edit: Here's a nice line I just pulled from the decompiler:
if (targetPropertyValue == null && property.GetValue((object) this.DefaultBrush.DefaultLayer) != null || targetPropertyValue != null && !targetPropertyValue.Equals(property.GetValue((object) this.DefaultBrush.DefaultLayer)) || property.Name == "Name")
Why don't you explain that line to us since you're such a Bannerlord modding genius?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom