Would you like an option for unlimited/large amounts of corpses to be displayed on the battlefield?

• Yes

Votes: 107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 26 19.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Has anyone else noticed that unlimited corpses isn't exactly unlimited. During really large battles, some of the corpses disappear.

I still like that there is a large number of corpses displayed on the battlefield. You can look over it and sometimes find your companion or another key individual among the masses, and have a small funeral for them. :wink:

Sorry for the resurrection of this topic, but it is still relevant.

Does anyone know if it is moddable?
I wouldn't be surprised either way to be honest. However, this game is extremely CPU intensive and I have seen battles that were 2500 vs 2500. That being the case would you really want 3000-4000 corpses dragging your PC to 5 fps just to have 3000-4000 corpses on the battlefield?

I wouldn't be surprised either way to be honest. However, this game is extremely CPU intensive and I have seen battles that were 2500 vs 2500. That being the case would you really want 3000-4000 corpses dragging your PC to 5 fps just to have 3000-4000 corpses on the battlefield?
It will likely not drag the pc down to 5 fps. But sure, some PC's may not be able to handle it, which is why it's already an option. And yes, some fps loss would be worth it in my opinion, as long as you stay above a certain viewable experience.

Look at the Total War series, there you can have armies clash in the multi-thousands, I've even modded it so that you can have 40 unit armies. There is no noticable fps loss due to static unmoving pixel corpses.

Why is it that corpses do cause such a big difference in performance?
Because they have to be rendered by the engine just as the living troops. You can't have pre-rendered corpse cutouts or whatever like in a Total War game where troops of certain kind look the same. Or maybe you can (apart from the uniquely equipped NPCs), but TW didn't think of optimizing this.

Because they have to be rendered by the engine just as the living troops. You can't have pre-rendered corpse cutouts or whatever like in a Total War game where troops of certain kind look the same. Or maybe you can (apart from the uniquely equipped NPCs), but TW didn't think of optimizing this.
Why not though? I mean instead of disappearing after a while, couldn't they turn into a more generic sprite type of thing?

Why is it that corpses do cause such a big difference in performance?
They´re still beeing rendered. Could cause issues in huge battles (>1000 troops), I guess.
Why not though? I mean instead of disappearing after a while, couldn't they turn into a more generic sprite type of thing?
Only TW can (but won´t) answer this.

I believe it would look bad if they turn into less detailed models. Compared to Total War you´re much closer to them in Bannerlord.

They´re still beeing rendered. Could cause issues in huge battles (>1000 troops), I guess.

Only TW can (but won´t) answer this.

I believe it would look bad if they turn into less detailed models. Compared to Total War you´re much closer to them in Bannerlord.
I guess. I just think it'd be better than them disappearing. In larger battles it wouldn't be so noticeable as they pile up, in smaller battles it wouldn't be necessary.

What if they weren't rendered fully unless you were within a certain distance? Like terrain and grass etc. So if they were further away they could be something like the sprite (if that's the correct term) spectators at tournaments. Just seems like such a waste of processing power to have all corpses being rendered in the same way as animated units when only the ones right in front of your character need to be that detailed.

What if they weren't rendered fully unless you were within a certain distance? Like terrain and grass etc. So if they were further away they could be something like the sprite (if that's the correct term) spectators at tournaments. Just seems like such a waste of processing power to have all corpses being rendered in the same way as animated units when only the ones right in front of your character need to be that detailed.
That is a good suggestion. Make corpses only appear in full quality where the camera is.

Right now there also seems to be a problem for people with Intel processors and corpses, thread link:

Ryzen processors don't seem to have any problems with "unlimited" corpses.

I wonder how much work corpses have been for TaleWorlds, I remember some patches ago that corpses and blood caused some issues. I hope it's not too much work for them, because it is an important immersion feature for a lot of people.

This probably wouldnt help at all for a few reasons:
Optimising rigged meshes (i.e. movable characters) is very difficult. The reason is that you can't just pretend they aren't there like with static meshes (like buildings, terrain or even trees that move), which stop being used at all by the GPU when they're out of view, and lose most of their CPU overhead. You can do collision detection without the object itself needing to be rendered.

However in every modern game engine, rigged meshes are rendered using a skeleton which has to be initialised on a per-object basis, which can sometimes take a while. You can't spawn and despawn rigged meshes anywhere near as fast as you can with static meshes, so typically they stay in memory and retain most of their CPU overhead even if they're behind the player or 100m away or whatever. This is what creates the lag in games with lots of troops, not just the fact that they're being rendered.

Bannerlord uses a very weird and frankly impressive system for rendering rigged meshes which I haven't seen from any other game. Without it the performance would be terrible. But although I've asked the developers how it works and got no answer, my assumption is that it has a lot of the same limitations as described above, if not worse, because there is a hard rather than soft limit to the number of rigged meshes.

This probably wouldnt help at all for a few reasons:
Optimising rigged meshes (i.e. movable characters) is very difficult. The reason is that you can't just pretend they aren't there like with static meshes (like buildings, terrain or even trees that move), which stop being used at all by the GPU when they're out of view, and lose most of their CPU overhead. You can do collision detection without the object itself needing to be rendered.

However in every modern game engine, rigged meshes are rendered using a skeleton which has to be initialised on a per-object basis, which can sometimes take a while. You can't spawn and despawn rigged meshes anywhere near as fast as you can with static meshes, so typically they stay in memory and retain most of their CPU overhead even if they're behind the player or 100m away or whatever. This is what creates the lag in games with lots of troops, not just the fact that they're being rendered.

Bannerlord uses a very weird and frankly impressive system for rendering rigged meshes which I haven't seen from any other game. Without it the performance would be terrible. But although I've asked the developers how it works and got no answer, my assumption is that it has a lot of the same limitations as described above, if not worse, because there is a hard rather than soft limit to the number of rigged meshes.
I see, thanks.
So there's little reason to hope for less demanding corpses?

Only if corpses were obstacles that got in the way, and the more that piled up the more infantry had to struggle to move around or through them.

But there's no way my ancient PC could handle anything like that.

Isn't it possible to just program it so that when AI dies, it creates a "ghost" body on the ground? Without a full rigging, just something you can walk through but you can see it? Would that be any different than propping fully rigged models onto the ground?

A rigged mesh without rigging is a T-pose. There are ways to fake rigging using vertex offset and render targets, and I suspect bannerpord uses a system like this, but these have so much CPU overhead that to do them only for the corpses would actually be worse for performance than just rigging them normally.

Back
Top Bottom