United European States, possible or not?

United European State?

• Yes

Votes: 30 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 70 55.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 27 21.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Wolfang

Baron
Hello everyone.

I am interested in what my fellow Europeans (and people from elsewhere as well) have to say on the subject of one united nation of Europe. Most Europeans have an opinion on this matter, often extremes. Some want to leave the EU altogether (UK?), whilst others are asking to join the EU, I'm interested in what you all have to say!

So I will start off with my own opinion.

It would be a completion of more than fifty years of unification. As a reaction to the growing power of the US, and the danger of the SU, European nations came together to increase their power which, after WW2, was lowering. The economic benefits have been massive, most Western European countries are still right up there in the top 10 economies. Countries such as Spain, Ireland and Italy (and others) have had booms pulling them out of poverty.  New countries are lined up to becoming new booming economies, most notably of which, Poland, but let's not forget all the other eastern european countries.

The 2008 Financial crisis, which spurred the 2010 European  Crisis has increased anti-euro party's powers. Countries like Spain, Italy and Greece were on different economic levels compared with other european nations. People didn't like that the richer countries had to 'pay' for the bad governing in the latter countries. There are also protests that opening the EU to more Eastern European countries (as of Jan 1 Romanians and Bulgarians are free to pass across all EU borders) will make them 'take ur jerbs', or steal our iphones.

Personally, I think a united country would be almost impossible to create. Yet people in the past would have said the same of the EU, and they would certainly have said that the Euro currency would never be possible (some countries still opted out from the euro), yet it happened. Imagine a united Europe, where you can drive from the Portuguese coast to the Ukrainian open. So many cultures, so many languages, so much history, so many religions, so much love, and hate between all these peoples, yet all together in a united nation. Many civilizations and nations have attempted it yet it has never succeded.

What I would see is a State-system, much like that of the USA, in which states would be countries (UK/NL/BEL), or large regions (eg Scotland/England, Flanders/Wallonia) (alternatively, new sorts of states eg. Lowlands State(= Belgium+NL+Lux)). Each state has it's own government with its own laws, but there is a Federal government with federal laws. There is one army, one set of bonds to sell (will prevent things like the Eurocrisis where only certain countries had difficulties borrowing money), social security etc.

The increase in world-power and say would be drastic. Although the EU in it's current form is quite powerful, it is still not very united, every country has it's own mind and does their own thing, united the decisivness and economies of scale would be massive. Just like in the US, there will obviously still be poorer regions and richer regions, but the poorer regions won't be beat up constantly. In a world that is rapidly globalising, where large 'united states' countries like USA, China, Russia and others ALWAYS have the say and veto's, the european regions would, by uniting completely, be one of those super regions, as was the intent of the founding countries by lowering trade barriers and starting the unification.

Currently many regions in the world are attempting to unify in the same way, none of which have reached the extent of the EU, such as NAFTA (which also greatly increased trade between the countries), Andean Pact (which mostly failed), and the Mercosur (Which worked increaing the economies greatly for a time, before it failed again with the sepperate brazilian & argentine crisis), South east asia is starting one as well (WIP), and the biggest possible free trade zone to come might be a pacific rim trade zone.

I think the biggest dificulty would be patriotism, and a sense of loss of identity which many people attach to their nationality, yet I feel, with time, such a thing wouldn't be important, like in the US, people would say what state they were from but wouldn't want to be an independant nation. I think the economy would grow tremendously as well as our wealth. Eastern Europe is virtually untouched, it would be like combining the capital rich US (Western Europe) with China (Eastern Europe) in one country. Both would benefit tremendously imo.

I could go on and on, but, what do you think?

Look at how well the US is doing with more centralization. NSA spying scandal, etc. Europe essentially already has an army (NATO), and the lack of a "European identity" as opposed to an "American identity" would make unification difficult, as you suggested.

European history goes far back beyond 300 years. The US effectively conquered North America and established a singular culture.

It would be ridiculous to tell European countries to set aside their differences and combine as one.

Exactly.

While some people may say there are differences between states, I doubt the difference between someone from Maine and someone from Louisiana is as big as the differences between a Ukrainian and a Frenchman.

Europe is the home of nationalism. It might have worked pre modernity, but as soon as europe started drawing permanent borders, unification is becoming less likely.
I'm from britain and nobody except ukip and some conservatives really know or care about what the EU does, much less actively try to fight it. The main issue euroskeptics fear is immigration, another thing nobody properly understands over here.
IMO a united europe would be a damn good idea, if applied properly - and by that i mean multinational efforts to support poorer parts of Europe and fix their infrastructure, something even britain sorely needs despite being fairly well-off.
In practice though...euroskeptics are far too many and would rather drink undiluted petrol than see europe loosen its borders.

The EU is way ahead of it's time. Some of us still believe in strict, closed nation states. And while that's a shame, that's their prerogative, i guess. prematurely forcing a union would cause a storm of problems. See also: the former Yugoslavia

Hopefully, once europe realises that it's slowly becoming sidelined both in foreign policy and the economy, they'll come to their senses and the union wil happen naturally. Either that, or they blame everything on the past government and the newest wave of immigrants. The latter's probably more likely, in which case I'm going back to jamaica.

Europe should just surrender to the inevitable and become the US's next state.

jacobhinds said:
I think America's headed the same way as Europe to be honest, albeit for different reasons

It's k, lots of people are delusional that way.

Personally, I think this will absolutely occur, give or take fifty to one hundred years. Strong economic ties lead to political ties (see the Zollverein in 19th century Germany). While there may not be a strong, unified European identity, that doesn't mean that one cannot develop given time.

Splintert said:
European history goes far back beyond 300 years. The US effectively conquered North America and established a singular culture.

I think we can find cultural differences within big states that are more apart than one nation collectively and its neighbor.

It would be ridiculous to tell European countries to set aside their differences and combine as one.

Europe almost set aside all of their differences when they joined the Euro currency and most parts of its immigration and economic policies, I don't see what so impossible about that. Aside from material constraints, any and all things that exist in human affairs are purely based on belief, and the beliefs of a society are not permanent.

There are both internal and external pressures that prevent the forming of UES. From outside, both Russia and the USA would prefer to make treaties with individual countries, to maximize their potential for pressure. United EU would be a challenger and a competitor, which they would prefer to live without. And quite a few European countries (or politicians in some countries) prefer short-sighted advantage over "the greater good". Examples: British special friendship with America or how Russia has made specific energy-treaties with Germany and Finland.

In addition, USA does not want to see NATO replaced with something else. As long as NATO exists, America is the biggest fish and can throw her weight around. No European country can compete in the areas of global intelligence and strategic power-projection. It's also extremely unlikely that European citizens would stomach the hefty increase in defence spending that the military development of EU would require. Not to mention that East-Europe prefers an American security guarantee over British/French/German one.

Internally, you have nationalism, that is still alive and kicking, forming the greatest obstacle. While globalism (or at least Euro-centric globalism) is fairly strong, nationalism is about equally strong. Technocrats leading from Bryssel are a nightmare to some people, and populist Parties take advantage of such fears.

Uhtred Dunkerch said:
Hello everyone.

I am interested in what my fellow Europeans (and people from elsewhere as well) have to say on the subject of one united nation of Europe. Most Europeans have an opinion on this matter, often extremes. Some want to leave the EU altogether (UK?), whilst others are asking to join the EU, I'm interested in what you all have to say!

So I will start off with my own opinion.

It would be a completion of more than fifty years of unification. As a reaction to the growing power of the US, and the danger of the SU, European nations came together to increase their power which, after WW2, was lowering. The economic benefits have been massive, most Western European countries are still right up there in the top 10 economies. Countries such as Spain, Ireland and Italy (and others) have had booms pulling them out of poverty.  New countries are lined up to becoming new booming economies, most notably of which, Poland, but let's not forget all the other eastern european countries.

The 2008 Financial crisis, which spurred the 2010 European  Crisis has increased anti-euro party's powers. Countries like Spain, Italy and Greece were on different economic levels compared with other european nations. People didn't like that the richer countries had to 'pay' for the bad governing in the latter countries. There are also protests that opening the EU to more Eastern European countries (as of Jan 1 Romanians and Bulgarians are free to pass across all EU borders) will make them 'take ur jerbs', or steal our iphones.

Personally, I think a united country would be almost impossible to create. Yet people in the past would have said the same of the EU, and they would certainly have said that the Euro currency would never be possible (some countries still opted out from the euro), yet it happened. Imagine a united Europe, where you can drive from the Portuguese coast to the Ukrainian open. So many cultures, so many languages, so much history, so many religions, so much love, and hate between all these peoples, yet all together in a united nation. Many civilizations and nations have attempted it yet it has never succeded.

What I would see is a State-system, much like that of the USA, in which states would be countries (UK/NL/BEL), or large regions (eg Scotland/England, Flanders/Wallonia) (alternatively, new sorts of states eg. Lowlands State(= Belgium+NL+Lux)). Each state has it's own government with its own laws, but there is a Federal government with federal laws. There is one army, one set of bonds to sell (will prevent things like the Eurocrisis where only certain countries had difficulties borrowing money), social security etc.

The increase in world-power and say would be drastic. Although the EU in it's current form is quite powerful, it is still not very united, every country has it's own mind and does their own thing, united the decisivness and economies of scale would be massive. Just like in the US, there will obviously still be poorer regions and richer regions, but the poorer regions won't be beat up constantly. In a world that is rapidly globalising, where large 'united states' countries like USA, China, Russia and others ALWAYS have the say and veto's, the european regions would, by uniting completely, be one of those super regions, as was the intent of the founding countries by lowering trade barriers and starting the unification.

Currently many regions in the world are attempting to unify in the same way, none of which have reached the extent of the EU, such as NAFTA (which also greatly increased trade between the countries), Andean Pact (which mostly failed), and the Mercosur (Which worked increaing the economies greatly for a time, before it failed again with the sepperate brazilian & argentine crisis), South east asia is starting one as well (WIP), and the biggest possible free trade zone to come might be a pacific rim trade zone.

I think the biggest dificulty would be patriotism, and a sense of loss of identity which many people attach to their nationality, yet I feel, with time, such a thing wouldn't be important, like in the US, people would say what state they were from but wouldn't want to be an independant nation. I think the economy would grow tremendously as well as our wealth. Eastern Europe is virtually untouched, it would be like combining the capital rich US (Western Europe) with China (Eastern Europe) in one country. Both would benefit tremendously imo.

I could go on and on, but, what do you think?

The Eurozone is already a monetary and regulatory union. There will be no magic boom when/if the final step - a fiscal union - is taken, because fiscal union is just a nice word for Germans making donations to about everyone else. But Germans don't feel like doing anything like that. Why would they. They already have euro rates that fit them, they can issue their bonds without having them polluted by ****ty Italian, Spanish and French ratings. They have nothing to gain in further unification at the moment.

There is no popular demand for further unification either. The momentum was lost even before the debt crisis (the Dutch and French referendums) and while the constitution was basically just renamed and passed as the Lisbon Treaty, the peoples of Europe obviously have no desire for a formal federation.

Europe is in structural decay, regardless of the EU. It is ignored because it has nothing to offer and is not willing to really do anything except talking about "soft power". Having a united foreign policy wouldn't change anything at the moment. There would be just 1 empty speech instead of 3 or 4 empty speeches (counting only the internationally relevant EU members)

As much as I would love to see a Unified Europe, it just isn't possible within our current timeframe. Give it another 50 years and then come back to the idea, hopefully by then we haven't obliterated ourselves with nukes or caused a global economic meltdown and degenerated into city states.

Back
Top Bottom