Unit Progression

Users who are viewing this thread

Exerellion

Recruit
Hi guys,
Great work on the mod, however, I don't get the unit progression in this game. How come there are troops you can hire from villages that don't level up and then there are other troops who can be upgraded to higher tiers? Sorry for the noob question. I am playing mainly in Greece, too.
 
The progression was meant to be linear, units wouldn't get far out from their social standing and role unlike native peasants turning into shiny knights after a week of camping because you have high training skill. Think of it more like a Total War system for troops (without going so far you have Silverstag which has some similitude), in the next version for better versions of certain troops you either recruit the already retrained version or if you own a town/castle or if you are a member of a faction you can retrain your troops there for better stats and equipment at a monetary cost.
On one hand you don't get to do the Native's path of "get 100 Swadian Knights and conquer everything" but after a though fight you can replenish your army with various tiers. 
 

KickingJoub

Grandmaster Knight
WB
Seek n Destroy said:
The progression was meant to be linear, units wouldn't get far out from their social standing and role unlike native peasants turning into shiny knights after a week of camping because you have high training skill. Think of it more like a Total War system for troops (without going so far you have Silverstag which has some similitude), in the next version for better versions of certain troops you either recruit the already retrained version or if you own a town/castle or if you are a member of a faction you can retrain your troops there for better stats and equipment at a monetary cost.
On one hand you don't get to do the Native's path of "get 100 Swadian Knights and conquer everything" but after a though fight you can replenish your army with various tiers.

Which basically gives you way more freedom to customise your unit compositions and they stay the way they are, meaning you don't have to delay updgrading or recruit more and more troops. At the same time most units have a purpose unlike in native where the higher tier units are just flatout better. Hastatii, Principe, Triarii, all the gallic troops, light and heavy hoplites, archers, slingers, skirmishers, light cav, heavy cav, lance cav, they all have their uses at all stages of the game :party:
 

Exerellion

Recruit
I get that part, and it makes sense, but some troops are upgradeable while others are not. The only ones that I have been able to upgrade were the Dekanos Hoplites (into Ekdromoi), Toxotes and the basic mounted troops. Is everything else at the top of the upgrade line/tree?
 

KickingJoub

Grandmaster Knight
WB
Exerellion said:
I get that part, and it makes sense, but some troops are upgradeable while others are not. The only ones that I have been able to upgrade were the Dekanos Hoplites (into Ekdromoi), Toxotes and the basic mounted troops. Is everything else at the top of the upgrade line/tree?
The system's not finished in 2.4, which is still a beta singleplayer release :roll:
 
Alpha, very much alpha. Still playing around with a bunch of stuff but at least now I can make regional units, ally units received through conquest, etc... I'd like to make factional ranks in the future and allow the player to levy entire armies depending on his rank but that's not for this release for sure.
 

Gewehr98

Sergeant
Does anyone know the stats of hastati off the top of their heads? I can't get promoted to save my life and I figure it's because I haven't hit the minimum skill/attributes to move up
 
I don't see why post here rather that the questions thread but well... Since there are no troop trees in the mod anymore the freelance tree is player exclusive so I didn't bother assigning stats, just level and equipment and which items are guaranteed. Stats are low and from the items they have there is one that requires 10 strength and the rest is bellow that in requirements. If something doesn't work well I could rework a bit these things for a patch.
 

Dan11311

Sergeant
WF&S
Seek n Destroy said:
I don't see why post here rather that the questions thread but well... Since there are no troop trees in the mod anymore the freelance tree is player exclusive so I didn't bother assigning stats, just level and equipment and which items are guaranteed. Stats are low and from the items they have there is one that requires 10 strength and the rest is bellow that in requirements. If something doesn't work well I could rework a bit these things for a patch.

Not related to this board but does anyone know the proper unit ratio for Macedon of pikes and spears? Or how to best use them since they don't work like they should (like they would for real). I keep getting my ass handed to me every time in a battle.
 

Gewehr98

Sergeant
Seek n Destroy said:
I don't see why post here rather that the questions thread but well... Since there are no troop trees in the mod anymore the freelance tree is player exclusive so I didn't bother assigning stats, just level and equipment and which items are guaranteed. Stats are low and from the items they have there is one that requires 10 strength and the rest is bellow that in requirements. If something doesn't work well I could rework a bit these things for a patch.

Pretty sure my strength is over 10 but I still get the "your arms are too weak to proceed in the artillary [sic]" message
 

Superstes

Regular
WBNW
Dan11311 said:
Seek n Destroy said:
I don't see why post here rather that the questions thread but well... Since there are no troop trees in the mod anymore the freelance tree is player exclusive so I didn't bother assigning stats, just level and equipment and which items are guaranteed. Stats are low and from the items they have there is one that requires 10 strength and the rest is bellow that in requirements. If something doesn't work well I could rework a bit these things for a patch.

Not related to this board but does anyone know the proper unit ratio for Macedon of pikes and spears? Or how to best use them since they don't work like they should (like they would for real). I keep getting my ass handed to me every time in a battle.

Dont worry about ratios until you are cirtian you have followed the first rule, which is to make sure you have more pointy sticks then than the enemy or it isn't going to work
 

Donovan

Recruit
just concerning a troop related quest where i am asked to increase recruits to hasatii rank, since there is no level progression i assumed to go to a castle and just upgrade those 6 recruits, however i ended up with the high tiered unit legio 1 loricatus hastatus and not the "romani hastatii" which is the goal. Then i started looking for them in villages but they are all legio I or other troops without the "romani" tag. The only place i found them are in garrisons of cities/castles but i cannot recruit those unless i capture them (which is obviously impossible for me to do at this point in time). Do i have to wait for them to spawn in villages or is it simply a bugged quest ?
 
They should be available at villages not covered by the AoR recruitment like Epirote, Greek or Macedonian villages conquered by the Romans else you could possibly free them from bandit parties that attacked a caravan or a patrol.
 
Top Bottom