Unit levels. What this really means ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gandamula

Sergeant at Arms
I notice that there are several levels, 11,16,22,26,31 and 47,I may miss some or have wrong numbers, but why nothing between its levels and what it's really means?

The higher the number, the "smarter" the bot is in terms of combat... or is it supposed to be that way.

(source)

This use to be true, it has actually been changed since and now combat skill is based on individual skills instead of overall level. High level Infantry wont be better with bows than lower level bowman now (unless of course their bow skill is higher). This was awhile ago too

Now the level is just an indication of their overall skills, I don't think its used now in calculations for AI or simulated battles.

But what I want to know is why there isn't any level between them, they jump from level 11 to 16,then to 26 etc.

The higher the number, the "smarter" the bot is in terms of combat... or is it supposed to be that way.
If that video was true, we would have more long-lasting battles in the game I guess, or at least better than the current one :smile: - I mean it's in game obviously, since they have a video to show, but probably they wanted to nerf it since Level 40 fights quite inhumanly imo.

But what I want to know is why there isn't any level between them, they jump from level 11 to 16,then to 26 etc.
Yes, they jump levels directly. Because the game can't keep the progress of each unit as if they are standalone companions. For huge armies, that would be a hell of a calculation.
Instead game takes XP for each unit type and then adds it into the pool - so that at the end, game can calculate if they can level up and how many of them can etc.

It could be a holdover from Warband times, where it was the same. And in Warband the units' level influenced how high their upkeep was(as well as ransom), as well as how much exp you received from killing it.
It is probably similar to an extent in Bannerlord.

It could be a holdover from Warband times, where it was the same. And in Warband the units' level influenced how high their upkeep was(as well as ransom), as well as how much exp you received from killing it.
It is probably similar to an extent in Bannerlord.
Another important things with troops level in warband was the trainer skill. It would only proc for troops lower level then hero with trainer skill. This made it not too OP early on, but very useful when you character was high level.

Wait, the AI I'm fighting sucks. Where is that AI at?

It got dumbed down after people complained it was too hard.

As for levels, it is just something that a character representation needs to work properly and so instead of building a type for heroes and another for troops they just used the same base and used it as a helper of sorts for calculations, like tier and wages. It is the same system as in Warband.

Soo....are they planning on returning highly weapon skilled opponents to this level of combat? This is the whole reason i want to fight AI

It is still in the game, it just needs a higher skill level than troops currently have. There is a mod that allows you to mess with the levels so troops are assigned higher levels than their skills would entitle them but I don't know if that mod is still works.

@froggyluv it was this one

Last edited:
Yeah, there is indeed a math Formular to create the troop tier out of the levels.

With the tier, they work in simulation and they determine the powerlvl comparison at the start of a battle/Siege.

I also think that the levels have also Stat templates applied to them, at least for wanderers and lords.

Regarding OPs meaning of higher skill levels. You can change every skill of every troop in the spnpccharakter.xml file.

Though the normal troops will never get perks though. Only passive(captain)

Last edited:
It got dumbed down after people complained it was too hard.

As for levels, it is just something that a character representation needs to work properly and so instead of building a type for heroes and another for troops they just used the same base and used it as a helper of sorts for calculations, like tier and wages. It is the same system as in Warband.

It is still in the game, it just needs a higher skill level than troops currently have. There is a mod that allows you to mess with the levels so troops are assigned higher levels than their skills would entitle them but I don't know if that mod is still works.

@froggyluv it was this one

yes I do remember the AI nerfed... I loved the AI before, when it was actually challenging...

yes I do remember the AI nerfed... I loved the AI before, when it was actually challenging...
Maybe you have gotten better? XD we will speek again, when you kill 75 looters, on foot, in melee, alone. (just a hint, it's a lot easier when you have a two hand axe)

Last edited:
It is obvious that the AI was " dumbed down ", I still don't really know if it was because of performance problems or because the decision was made to "make it easier". As for this controversial issue, we keep tracing the same orbits over and over again. As far as difficulty goes, I have already made a statement:
This is why the levels of difficulty must be carefully defined. IMO:

Normal: Gentle difficulty for casual experiences and new players
Veteran: Moderate difficulty where high level bots make an impact
Challenging: Difficulty that emulates a medium to high MP skilled player environment.

As for the OP's question, as the others comment; the Tiers would form the continent and the levels the content.

Maybe you have gotten better? XD we will speek again, when you kill 75 looters, on foot, in melee, alone. (just a hint, it's a lot easier when you have a two hand axe)

I think AI got actually much worse after making weapon skill relevant instead of level. AI has got a bit better with the last patches though, but it is still bad compared to release. Now only characters with +250 weapon skill fight ok, while T5 units with 130 Weapon Skill are really bad.

Plus there is an issue with blocking and AI is so aggressive after receiving a hit, which allows us to spam attacks against the AI and kill bots pretty easy.

The level determines the wage of the troops, that's for sure. I think it also decides when units appear in the recruitment windows. I wonder wether it has influence on the hp of soldiers, but I doubt it.

In actual battles the individual skills are used. Skills are normally set according to level (f.e. T5 = level 26 = mostly 130 stats in the important areas). But there is no necessary relation. I have custom troops where the recruits are T1/level 6 but have level 16 skills. I also use the level to make units more expensive. My custom Kataphrakt for example has mostly T6/level 31 skills (that is 220 to 260) but has lvl 36 to make it more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom