Unique Empire Factions

Users who are viewing this thread

Not a complaint and would be way down line as of now ,but I would like if the different imperial factions had a bit of individual flavor based on location and theme of faction ( I get they are civil war but doesn’t mean the factions can’t have different troop or at least different auxiliary troops. ) first thought is southern empire most Byzantine like being empress and what not just seems to fit so basically as is now maybe slight changes . Northern empire I would assume is senate Rome so more spqr pre marian reforms think stereotype Rome ala betrayed legion , western Rome being Marian reform think imperial Rome like against the Dacians big broad plate shoulders. Other differences would exist in other Troops etc but that’s the theme idea. Now they prob should share like a staple chain or basic Troops to maintain lore cohesion. This is fantasy creation to time doesn’t really impact what they would wear and use , could justify it by that generals preference to war or areas culture being different than rest of empire . Yes i know mods can do this as well. Would be cool if in vanilla though. If not time period They could do the trifecta split theme. South Empire is Egypt/ Greek/Africa tough call in that one , South Empire is Byzantine/ottoman. Northern is Italian and Gallic Roman. It even has political/geographical parallels considering the calradian empire. Man actually not sure which region to make what here to make sense on map ideas ?

I liked the idea of them being the same like now but having an auxiliary line. Not sure what that would look like though. Southern having some sort of light cav or really good skirmishers, Western maybe some type of great crossbowman or mace equipped infantry( or new type of heavy cav) and Northern could have a 2h heavy inf or horse archer. My idea was to drawn troop types from their neighbors. Doesn’t make much since now since Empire already has most of these troops by default now.

I liked the idea of them being the same like now but having an auxiliary line. Not sure what that would look like though. Southern having some sort of light cav or really good skirmishers, Western maybe some type of great crossbowman or mace equipped infantry( or new type of heavy cav) and Northern could have a 2h heavy inf or horse archer. My idea was to drawn troop types from their neighbors. Doesn’t make much since now since Empire already has most of these troops by default now.

I think this is a pretty good idea, and has some historical validity to it. The core Roman legions were pretty uniform, but their regionally-sourced "auxilia" units could be quite varied. Introducing some cav/ranged/skirm variation in the N/W/S Empire faction trees while maintaining all the same heavy infantry would seem reasonable and interesting. Possibly some different elite-lines as well; the N/W could have some sort of Praetorian infantry perhaps, while the more Byz-inspired South would retain the current Cataphract line.

Back
Top Bottom