OSP Other 3D Art unfinished old finnish style houses

Users who are viewing this thread

Mackie

Sergeant at Arms
first and foremost; posting this here cause I cant post in the OSP section.

anywho heres couple of houses i did waybackwhen and I really doubt ill ever get around to actually completing them.
-whats there to be done? mostly just poly work such as optimizing them, hidden surfaces a plenty but nothing that cant be done in one evening or in a matter of minutes/seconds with the right tools.
im just too damn lazy. :mrgreen:
so if anyone wants them, has any use for them or something...

filename unfinishedfinnishouses

this is a thumbnail, click on it.

Moderator edit (Updated download links):
Jaakko said:
Okay.

Going to put them there after I have upload permission. You get all the credits of course.

I made another mirror on mediafire too:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tdls7tbzjp7wbma

You could put it in OP if you want.

And codes for Scene_props;
Code:
spr_talo4 0 0 talo4 bo_talo4 0
spr_talo3_22 0 0 talo3_22 bo_talo3_22 0
spr_talo2test2 0 0 talo2test2 bo_talo2test2 0

And for MS;
Code:
("talo4",0,"talo4","bo_talo4", []),
("talo3_22",0,"talo3_22","bo_talo3_22", []),
("talo2test2",0,"talo2test2","bo_talo2test2", []),

These in OP too :smile:

Sainhan jotain tekemistä vähäksi aikaa :razz:

Edit: Done, here is the link to repository

Last edited by a moderator:
Barabas said:
*hug*

I think we can use them for our mod =D
Really? thats great, i thought they werent that good at at all  :mrgreen:
ok I know they arent, but its nice if someone puts them into good use.

mr.master said:
Well, I didn't know you are from Finland  :wink: Anyways, FAWW2 will most likely put these into good use. Thanks for these.
You do now :razz: Would have offered them to you guys already earlier had I remembered the mod.
Eldmor said:
Those look very beautiful!

You should pm Caba`drin about moving this to OSP board.
thanks, will do :smile:

I managed to get one of the buildings in game after a small struggle.

If you want I could convert other buildings too and send the files for you?

Notice normal maps I made too  :razz:
mb25.jpg

Edit: I actually went ahead and converted all of them:

Small Finnish village  :razz:

mb26m.jpg

Eldmor said:
I managed to get one of the buildings in game after a small struggle.

If you want I could convert other buildings too and send the files for you?

Notice normal maps I made too  :razz:
mb25.jpg

man they look ever better ingame than in the renders  :lol:
up em in the repository, im sure theyll find the right people through there better than through my site :smile:

Okay.

Going to put them there after I have upload permission. You get all the credits of course.

Code:

And for MS;
Code:

These in OP too  :smile:

Sainhan jotain tekemistä vähäksi aikaa  :razz:

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3521

Eldmor said:
Okay.

Code:

And for MS;
Code:

These in OP too  :smile:

Sainhan jotain tekemistä vähäksi aikaa  :razz:

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3521

helevetin hieno homma, kiitoksia kovasti  :grin:

Hey :smile:

Thanks for making these. We're wanting to use these in our mod, Twilight of the Sun King. We've included the Northern War in our mod, so these would go amazing.

<3

CR

brotip: if you want to "downgrade" the houses to make them fit better earlier eras, just remove the roof texture and replace it with grass. the earliest houses had moss roofing in this style:

isr_torppa.jpg

there were 2-3 major design updates on housing in finland in the last 2000 years when talking about those traditional style log cabin style houses.
-and most of those had to do with the roofing material.
dont fix what aint broke.

to quote wiki:
Construction with logs was described by Roman architect Vitruvius Pollio in his architectural treatise De Architectura. He noted that in Pontus (modern-day Northeastern Turkey) dwellings were constructed by laying logs horizontally overtop of each other and filling in the gaps with "chips and mud".[2]

A timber-cutter's mountain log cabin at the Museum of Folk Architecture, Pyrohiv, Ukraine.
Historically log cabin construction has its roots in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. Although their origin is uncertain, the first log structures were probably built in Northern Europe in the Bronze Age (about 3500 BC). By the time Europeans began to settle in North America, they had a long tradition of using logs for houses, barns, and other outbuildings in the Scandinavian countries, Germany, Northern Russia[3] and Ukraine.[4]
According to C. A. Weslager, whose book on log cabins is considered a classic, the Finns had a "close attunement" with the forests, and both groups had well-developed forest industries.[5] Weslager goes on to say:
The Finns were accomplished in building several forms of log housing, having different methods of corner timbering, and they utilized both round and hewn logs. Their log building had undergone an evolutionary process from the crude "pirtii"...a small gabled-roof cabin of round logs with an opening in the roof to vent smoke, to more sophisticated squared logs with interlocking double-notch joints, the timber extending beyond the corners. Log saunas or bathhouses of this type are still found in rural Finland.
By stacking tree trunks one on top of another and overlapping the logs at the corners, people made the "log cabin". They developed interlocking corners by notching the logs at the ends, resulting in strong structures that were easier to make weather-tight by inserting moss or other soft material into the joints. As the original coniferous forest extended over the coldest parts of the world, there was a prime need to keep these houses warm. The insulating properties of the solid wood were a great advantage over a timber frame construction covered with animal skins, felt, boards or shingles. Over the decades, increasingly complex joints were developed to ensure more weather tight joints between the logs, but the profiles were still largely based on the round log.
—C. A. Weslager, [5]

Back
Top Bottom