Unexpected mechanic depth from Mordhau

Users who are viewing this thread

I simply dont see the need for very complex combat in a game of such large scale battles. I dont think it would hurt, especially for those small multiplayer modes, but that is such a small portion of the game.

Throwing every weapon? Nah. Theres already wepons which can switch between thrown and melee mode. Mordhau lets you throws swords like throwing knives and its kinda ridiculous but also kinda fits the game.

vicwiz007 said:
... I dont think it would hurt, especially for those small multiplayer modes
How about you stand still and let someone throw a sword at you. Come back and tell us if it hurt, ok?

monoolho said:
Maybe should be able to throw our own armor at the enemy, thus reduckng encumberance and facilitating escape from the battlefield, also the truest hard mode is fighting every enemy naked, armed only with ones own fists.

That's actually a good idea, fighting naked is actually quite good if you have a long weapon. People who are very good at parrying don't get hit. They get the naked max speed bonus + high damage.

Also this video did demonstrated that weapon throwing does work https://youtu.be/wTC_1HRgbuo?t=230. @3:50 Somebody threw a weapon and charged in with a punch during a HEMA duel, which is also what sometimes worked in Mordhau and probably Warband with throwing weapons. Also said the same thing I said about throwing sword at bowmen https://youtu.be/wTC_1HRgbuo?t=364

Bottom line is weapon throwing is risky, but works sometimes. Also agree with https://youtu.be/wTC_1HRgbuo?t=454 it's hard in a duel but maybe good in battles.

So is it worth adding into Bannerlord as a mechanic? IMHO, yes but of course some of you say no. And there you go.

hansolo223 said:
vicwiz007 said:
... I dont think it would hurt, especially for those small multiplayer modes
How about you stand still and let someone throw a sword at you. Come back and tell us if it hurt, ok?

Yeah, pretty sure he's saying it wouldn't hurt to have this in the game for MP modes, not that getting hit with a thrown sword wouldn't hurt... Also why would he stand still? Is that how the people in the game are going to take it?

monoolho said:
Maybe should be able to throw our own armor at the enemy, thus reduckng encumberance and facilitating escape from the battlefield, also the truest hard mode is fighting every enemy naked, armed only with ones own fists.

That's actually a good idea, fighting naked is actually quite good if you have a long weapon. People who are very good at parrying don't get hit. They get the naked max speed bonus + high damage.

Also this video did demonstrated that weapon throwing does work https://youtu.be/wTC_1HRgbuo?t=230. @3:50 Somebody threw a weapon and charged in with a punch during a HEMA duel, which is also what sometimes worked in Mordhau and probably Warband with throwing weapons. Also said the same thing I said about throwing sword at bowmen https://youtu.be/wTC_1HRgbuo?t=364

Bottom line is weapon throwing is risky, but works sometimes. Also agree with https://youtu.be/wTC_1HRgbuo?t=454 it's hard in a duel but maybe good in battles.

So is it worth adding into Bannerlord as a mechanic? IMHO, yes but of course some of you say no. And there you go.

Honestly I'd rather throw bits of armor than the one weapon I have to take down the enemy. Clearly you never watched Spartacus, or else you would know "Throw away your weapon in the arena, and you are dead". And I just don't see it as a necessary thing to add when there are already dedicated throwing weapons in the game you can pick. Allowing you to throw any weapon kind of defeats the purpose of having those.

KucukEniste said:
Or your slippers. Don't forget the slippers can be fatal at wrong hands.
Slippers should stun opponent on the successful hit. Someone should start petition to include this necessary feature in to Mordhau. Once there, we can have posts here in the forum demanding such unexpected depth for MB as well.

Unexpected depth is the best kind of depth.

323jgk.jpg

KucukEniste said:
Imagine getting killed because you flanked infantry with cavalry but they just noscoped you with their flying swords. This is my childhood dream.

As an infantry player, that hype is real!

KucukEniste said:
Since we can have children in bannerlord. You can educate your heir by throwing slippers if you play as a female character.

Yes, I agree, but I'd throw fists instead. Its a hard knock life in BananerLurd.

Triune, i see you have not received a classical and traditional education when growing up. You, my good sir, have been a privileged one to never receive a downswing slipper to your hands or bottom, and neither have you had slippers or flipflops thrown at you by your progenitors.

Now i want to.360 jump noscope a horse by throwing my boots at it, and enjoy the added bonus to speed to run around the map and kill slower enemies. This sounds absolutely genius.

"****, it's so deep!" is right indeed. Never any other game dared such depth and realism before. Maybe we should be able to also fling body excrements at enemies, lowering their morale.

monoolho said:
Maybe we should be able to also fling body excrements at enemies, lowering their morale.

Actually you can throw poop in mordhau. I saw one poop in battle royale mode.
And throwing poop can be a good idea, why not fling poop with trebuchets and catapults. After the battle with open wounds and poop disease will spread and morale hit will be immense. Poop is a good after battle tactic.
I heard somewhere a long time ago that historically there was a time siege attackers flung poop into the besieged to cause disease...

There's a lot of lessons to be learned from mordhau after now playing it for a while. Mordhau is better for having looked at m&b and what it did well, and I hope bannerlord ends up being better for doing the same with mordhau. Mordhau is proving out to me is how the slower swing speeds and lower turn caps still provides exciting and breakneck feeling gameplay. Weapons feel really different yet still all behave within the system. Warband weapons don't have the same variety of feel, the differences are very slight. I always felt that if weapons got tuned differently it would break the gameplay in warband.

The whole system revolves around the timed block and recovery window. That is the fundamental feeling difference between warband and mordhau. I don't feel bannerlord should take this. Blocking in mordhau is about waiting until the last moment and penalizing over reacting. 1vX blocking also is difficult for them. Bannerlord is mostly 1vX imho and the ability to block as many things as your visual cortex can handle is a hallmark that shouldn't be lost.  That said examining the system still offers a lot of insight.

The first thing is stamina. They make you pay stamina for doing almost anything, it's a resource to be cashed in that allows you to behave oddly. Jump, missed swing, morph, feint, chamber, combo swing all cost. You get stamina back hitting people. In a duel stamina is very important, in a crowded room it doesn't matter because you are hitting and killing things to get back stamina frequently. It comes back really quick if you only walk slow and take no actions, however if someone is pressuring you they can keep you from getting it back. The timings are well tuned.

In dueling I think it could be an issue if you can read everything and just parry and attack back once, you will out stam everyone.  I beleive giru (good EU player) said on stream he won his dueling tourney by playing for stam, so it may be an issue limiting movement in that setting.

In bannerlord empty stamina dropping weapons would not work due to the volume of hitting, however I still believe stamina regulating moves with the same sort of regen style, but not penalty of dropping your weapon, could work in bannerlord and help give a tool for combat balancing. One of the things we've always wanted is to regulate wacky gameplay and making it cost stamina is a great way to do so. Even if they are doing it they are only going to be doing it for so long, and if you learn to read it you have a huge advantage over your opponent.

In the singleplayer you are mowing bots down endlessly, so you'd constantly have stamina and wouldn't have to worry about it getting in the way of things and might even promote some interesting gameplay if you get low on stam. A weapon drop would be a no but any number of thing can happen at low stam. I think it's time bannerlord took a look at it, and in SP it can even be a stat you just keep improving so you can still be godlike there. Might be fun out stamming low level troops even.

Morphs are interesting for bannerlord in that they offer a look at fixed feinting. It costs stam to morph, and you can't stab left and swing right, you have to keep the 'feint' on the side of the initial swing. Morph also has some timings associated with it but they aren't relevant imho to a non timed blocking system. Just the idea that specific fast feints can be limited and cost a resource and still fun to use. Honestly it has me thinking that a dedicated thrust button or another button type isn't half bad of an idea.

Accels/drags, well, can't say that they work without timed blocks, however it's really fun to play with them. I used to do that in warband a bit but it really never panned out to much, just maybe help set pacing in a duel (that was early warband, no clue how it's played now honestly). I think it's a mechanic that a lot of people hate though so maybe not something to really put a lot of stock into as drags in particular look physics defying.

Dodging... so great I love this mechanic. I wished warband had this. I know torso bending can make animations look pretty janky but you can't beat ducking under swings and twirling way from thrusts or hopping low slashes. I feel like dodging is just a mechanic that'll make the game fun in general.  Bot's don't have to dodge except maybe lord AI could do it, and you could use it vs common troops which would be pretty fun.

Chambers, it's interesting what happened with that. At first they were free with a tighter window for landing them. Then people learned to chamber everything and morph match. So every attack they chamber, which means that feints don't work because your chamber swing would work. If the other person morphed, which would generally beat a chamber swing, the first person would morph the same way, which ended up with them chambering the morphed attack still.  This wrecked a lot of gameplay, so they made chambering easier to do with a bigger window, then made it cost 10 stam, which is expensive. Not sure if they tweaked out morph matching either. So now you can chamber everything still, but you will run out of stam real fast doing it. 

It's interesting to me how chambering was a warband mechanic originally but mordhau has run it down and explored it a lot more in depth. Everyone chambers in mordhau, not something you often saw in warband, so the timings of it are better understood there I think.

Weapon alt modes. Warband has them but really isn't invested in them feeling different.

Point based loadout system. This is just straight up better than money balancing imho.  Greatsword always made me angry because it was just universally better and wrecked dueling variety imho. Money balancing in comp mode, maybe, but you couldn't really use 2 handed anyway, could you? I just like the point based loadout system so much more. It would work easily for SP too because you just give troop types the amount of points you want as they level up.

Customization is great, just matters on the category of the armor. Bannerlord has all this and more, but I worry about how they are trying to fine tune all the numbers with weapon parts that it may be an impossible task. It may be better to just limit them to a few categories, but I dunno. Mordhau has some issues with heavy armor being too good and cheap at the moment so eh.

Alright so I'm sure I'm buried here in a thread and it's too long, but I really do hope taleworlds gets in to play some moredhau and gets inspired by it. I'm really excited by the freedom of movement the game offers and the level of styles available to players and how well the combat system works.

Reapy said:
There's a lot of lessons to be learned from mordhau after now playing it for a while. Mordhau is better for having looked at m&b and what it did well, and I hope bannerlord ends up being better for doing the same with mordhau.

Totally agree with this. I personally hate how the core of Mordhau is playing the timed block + unrealistic stamina game. The stamina drains so illogically fast that my grandma has more stamina. But... Mordhau took a lot of good things from other medieval games and made something better. Bannerlord should take what is good from Mordhau to make Bannerlord even better.

A lot of experts in the world, no matter their field, steals from others and make it their own. This is actually advice from famous actor Michael Caine to steal from others https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZPLVDwEr7Y Advice that he probably stole from others, which I have stolen  :lol:

The lack of flexibility with blocking, the turnspeed cap, and very long release animations for me mean Mordhau will forever be limited in its team game potential. M&B just has so much more control and a faster pace which creates more clutch potential and a higher skill ceiling (again in team environments). It's very telling how underdeveloped this part of the game, and its scene, is despite being developed by pro players from Chiv.

I also don't agree that the stamina system adds anything really, it serves mostly just to punish people who, as you say, spend it on interesting moves. Like you say about GIRU, I've found if I just focus on reading the first few attacks and play passive, block, and riposte, with a weapon with some sort of stamina advantage (like say the Battle Axe), and so long as I've survived a couple of feints then I just auto-win the stamina battle from there. I've done this against much better players, and as long as you learn to do half-decent accels there's not much they can do. Seems to limit the skill ceiling severely.

OurGloriousLeader said:
The lack of flexibility with blocking, the turnspeed cap, and very long release animations for me mean Mordhau will forever be limited in its team game potential. M&B just has so much more control and a faster pace which creates more clutch potential and a higher skill ceiling (again in team environments). It's very telling how underdeveloped this part of the game, and its scene, is despite being developed by pro players from Chiv.

I also don't agree that the stamina system adds anything really, it serves mostly just to punish people who, as you say, spend it on interesting moves. Like you say about GIRU, I've found if I just focus on reading the first few attacks and play passive, block, and riposte, with a weapon with some sort of stamina advantage (like say the Battle Axe), and so long as I've survived a couple of feints then I just auto-win the stamina battle from there. I've done this against much better players, and as long as you learn to do half-decent accels there's not much they can do. Seems to limit the skill ceiling severely.

Good points. I think design wise I like how stamina can help control the system a little better as you can encourage/discourage things you don't like. I hesitated to stick with my initial though on the theory of how playing for stam will always win you things (I've lost a few too many duels after I disarmed people unfortunately) as I am not good enough to know if there are feint's 'worth' the stamina spending that are very hard to block that'll get you closer to death.

I think I like the idea of there being obvious places to hit people. In warband you look at say the lan duel they had and it's just like wtf are people even on about trying to get through the other person's defense. Warband needed to emphasize offense a bit more, even though defense was the part I liked the most about it.

Thing is with a stam system you don't have to penalize as much as mordhau does for misses and feints. It just seems like a secondary resource to manage is a nice tool to have in the toolbox gameplay wise and it can affect as little as much as you want.

I think mordhau could use some more low stam options though for sure besides 'run away', though I've seen some clutch backup weapon switch duck/moves.

I think turn caps feel pretty good honestly. You can spin about 270 degrees before you get the glancing blow.  I find I can turn easier lowering my dpi, I'm using around 800 and it's nice.  I think the lower DPI opens up dodging and footwork moves a lot which I find very fun for gameplay.

But yeah there is something I just inherently don't like about the timed block and being penalized for over reacting. It's especially frustrating going from a 144 fps, 35 ping 120 tick duel server into 90fps frontline 80 ping 60 tick and suddenly my cool last minute blocking I'm trying to do to avoid feints gets me killed hard. It's really ping sensitive and you can say for sure in warband that ping doesn't throw your defense off as much, you just needed to be faster at high pings. 

I also like the freeform feel of warband combat where you are reacting off one another, however I do appreciate mordhua's more strectured timing windows. It feels pretty fluid but there are some hard rules in there at work as well too which make it feel like it's got a lot to explore.

1vX i think top level players saying it needs a bunch of work, I know they are doing things. They also have a big shield issue, more so than warband did.

Oh yeah for the love of **** though bannerlord needs blocked arrows and throwing weapons.

sounds interesting but without realistic armor deflection it would just lead to people carrying 4 weapons at all times and just skirmishing then running away

bannerlord has enough ranged spam already,

why bump the thread after 2 years then?
bored, just trying to read on things,

i actually would like the feature, if armor worked properly and the sword that was thrown would bounce harmlessly off,

but against a kiting archer with no armor it would be satisfying to throw something to interrupt his shooting

After almost 100 hours in Mordhau starting with frontlines and now mainly in duels, I want to share my findings of some mechanics that most people don't realise. I think these mechanics will greatly add depth and flexibility to Bannerlord.

The weapon throw.
Ok, everyone knows you can throw weapons in Mordhau, what's the big deal?
Yes, but not many people realise you can:

What:
Pretend to stab or attack and transition (morph) it into a throw.
Why?
Fake an attack at a close distance but deliberately miss, at the last second change(morph) it into a throw. Enemy thinks they are safe when normal attacks would miss... but a throw would hit. This works. I tried it in duels and people fall for it.

What:
Throwing weapon while climbing, jumping, from a horse and any animation states that makes sense.
Why?
Fun. I once headshot someone with an arming sword throw from the middle of a ladder who barricaded himself with spikes that I could not get to. Of course it adds flexibility to your combat choices. Also throwing a maul at someone from horseback or whatever is always fun.

What:
Epic moments
Why?
Imagine you lost your weapon. Two guys attacking you. One with a dagger stuck to their armour. You kick one person, dodge the other guy, pull out the dagger, kill one with a hit and throw the dagger to kill the other guy. Epic? You say it can't be done? I have seen this similar thing happen. Imagine you are the last guy alive in a battle, everyone is watching.
Also let's say you do it in single player, easier to do vs bots. Must feel good for the player.
Don't deny epic history being made, TaleWorlds. It will happen if you give people the choice. . One day this will happen on youtube.
Throwing a weapon (or whatever) is realistic because in reality you can do it and if you're lucky hit something.
Does throwing your main weapon make sense?
In reality… it depends on what your enemy is wearing, the type of weapon and if you like to take risks.
If your enemy is wearing a gambeson, chain mail, or armor heavier than these, then throwing whatever tickles him, you will lose your weapon and then be killed by him while he laughs at your strategy.
If he is not wearing anything heavy then it's just a bet: if you catch him you are likely to kill him, and if you don't take him you die.
In summary: the mechanic should be introduced and its use is at the player's discretion.

"Imagine" you lost your weapon. Two guys attacking you. Unfortunately no one have a dagger conveniently stuck to their armour. What do you do? You grab one by the arm, rip it off together with his sword, then bash the other guy with it while the first one bleeds off. Epic? No, just stupid.

No thanks. If you want to play Batman with swords, play Mordhau and stay there.
Everything that is possible in reality, however unlikely, and if programmable without too much cost and if well balanced, should be added.
Your refusal of something just because it seems unlikely to you is deleterious.
The point is how balanced a mechanic is, not how arbitrarily realistic it seems, as I repeat: everything that reality makes possible, however improbable, can happen.

If your criticism is instead directed to the mechanics itself, that is, that you are interpreting it as the combat mechanics of the batman games, I inform you that your interlocutor had not mentioned it, and therefore that the system is batman-like is only one. your interpretation.

The mechanic might look like this: If an enemy has weapon X on their side, your character must:
1) get in contact with the enemy body (approaching it avoiding being hit) -> any movement mechanics would help and make the game less woody and arbitrarily slow.
2) look at the weapon placed on the enemy's side with the camera.
3) press the appropriate button to take the objects in order to grab the weapon.
4a) use kick button while grabbing the enemy weapon.
If you manage to perform these actions, you steal the weapon that was placed at your enemy's side and they are pushed back by the butt, giving both of you cooldown time.
4b) the enemy must kick before you in order not to be stolen from the weapon.
If he can use it before you do, then you are pushed backwards as his recovery after the kick is faster and gives him an advantage.

As you can see it is not easy to use, it exposes to many risks and the style is classic of mount and blade, with a series of actions that exploit the keys already present in the game.
The mechanics seem balanced as it exposes the "thief" to many risks and is difficult to implement and, even if it succeeds, it does not mean that everything will be fine from that moment on.

CONCLUSION:
I would add the mechanics:
- throw anything (at your own risk and as I have described above)
- possibility for the player (and the AI) to steal a secondary weapon from the opponent (similar to how I described it, but also with some modifications to make it even more realistic or difficult).
And to further balance these two, 2 of my suggestions:
-JOINT HURTBOXES and ARMOR HURTBOXES: an armor system that provide a way to balance factions warfare and make more deep the combat system(suggestions)
-NON-SPAMABLE DIRECTIONAL STEP-DODGE new mechanics suggestion

The step-dodge would be part of a more complex system of movement but I will avoid writing it because the conservatism that does not bring progress (neither realistic in physical terms, nor historical accuracy, nor gameplay and fun) of someone would not hold it.
I ask only one thing: don't stop at the title, read the mechanics and "simulate it in your head for how it is presented, not for how you interpret it".

Back
Top Bottom