Unban MostBlunted one month after release of Bannerlord?

Users who are viewing this thread

This is neither. I am not telling the moderators what they should do, merely gauging the community's feelings.
Gauging the community's feelings, yup. With a poll. Y'know, I like statistics. Not just quirky and interesting facts or oddball applications of stats like sabermetrics (pardon the pun), but the mathematical theory of it, methodology, and interpretation of data. One of the things you learn about early on when studying statistical methods is sampling bias. There's a quote I always get a chuckle out of regarding sampling bias, and it goes something like "survey responses are all biased because they only come from people willing to complete surveys." It's said like a joke, but it's not wrong, either, especially when it comes to controversial or emotionally-charged issues. People who feel strongly about something are usually more willing to put themselves out there, while those who aren't as invested are less likely to participate in the survey. I think you get where I'm going with this, so we're not gonna beat that dead horse anymore.

Let's move on to the interpretation part of statistics. Identifying and measuring trends in data is the core of applying statistics, because that is how you generate knowledge which can inform future decisions. If you can't do that with statistics, then you're not really accomplishing anything with your data. As an exercise, I'm going to show you the data I have and you can tell me if there are any identifiable trends in it. Here you go:
lRHie34.png

We're all on the same page now, with the pertinent information right in front of us. We're just here to gauge the community's feelings and not to try steering moderation policy through populism, right? So, I'm curious how the community feels about the information I have provided, and if they think that perhaps we were too lenient in this case.

Gauging the community's feelings, yup. With a poll. Y'know, I like statistics. Not just quirky and interesting facts or oddball applications of stats like sabermetrics (pardon the pun), but the mathematical theory of it, methodology, and interpretation of data. One of the things you learn about early on when studying statistical methods is sampling bias. There's a quote I always get a chuckle out of regarding sampling bias, and it goes something like "survey responses are all biased because they only come from people willing to complete surveys." It's said like a joke, but it's not wrong, either, especially when it comes to controversial or emotionally-charged issues. People who feel strongly about something are usually more willing to put themselves out there, while those who aren't as invested are less likely to participate in the survey. I think you get where I'm going with this, so we're not gonna beat that dead horse anymore.

Let's move on to the interpretation part of statistics. Identifying and measuring trends in data is the core of applying statistics, because that is how you generate knowledge which can inform future decisions. If you can't do that with statistics, then you're not really accomplishing anything with your data. As an exercise, I'm going to show you the data I have and you can tell me if there are any identifiable trends in it. Here you go:
lRHie34.png

We're all on the same page now, with the pertinent information right in front of us. We're just here to gauge the community's feelings and not to try steering moderation policy through populism, right? So, I'm curious how the community feels about the information I have provided, and if they think that perhaps we were too lenient in this case.
So the latest warning here is August 11th?

Presumably the final offence didn't warrant issuing a warning - it was just banned and done. But what was it out of interest?

Here is my scoreboard -

zDf4bIa.png

October 2021 - pretty sure that was the result of an infamous thread concerning 'grift'.

I think it's droll to just quote the rules, but this should give you enough insight:

We will not tolerate any forms of flaming, trolling, or harassment. This includes, but is not limited to, deliberately trying to provoke an argument (flame-baiting), personal insults, and verbal attacks. Baiting, passive-aggressiveness, and snide remarks towards others, while often mild on their own, have a cumulative effect and can be detrimental to our community overall. Flame wars within the community can also leave a lasting negative impact and cause division, and we will not tolerate any kind of aforementioned baiting that leads to it.

Can I just take a moment - for all the grief I have caused - and the extremely twisted relationship I've had with the mods in the past - I do genuinely respect the hell out of the mod team. You have stuck with this forum for years now - sorting out the muck that myself and others have created even when I imagine your passion for this franchise has been pushed to breaking point on multiple occasions.

I took a break from the forum; I can walk away anytime. You couldn't - and you stuck with it through all the drama down the years.

Inevitably I'll probably do/say something stupid eventually and get myself banned. But until that day - Thank you for your work. Unpaid, and underappreciated work.

@Orion how are we suppose to identify trends with incomplete data, impossible to identify a trend without the knowledge of when he was muted or banned. Without that information it looks like he's become a good boy compared to 2020. It leads me to ask does he have less warnings because he couldnt post or because he got better? Also you left out what made you pull the trigger for this ban as we don't see a warning since 2 months ago.

Regardless, free @MostBlunted and give me his warnings. No **** that give me his ban and absolve him of his crimes. I'm tired of gathering data for TW anyways.

giphy.gif

@Orion how are we suppose to identify trends with incomplete data, impossible to identify a trend without the knowledge of when he was muted or banned. Without that information it looks like he's become a good boy compared to 2020. It leads me to ask does he have less warnings because he couldnt post or because he got better? Also you left out what made you pull the trigger for this ban as we don't see a warning since 2 months ago.

Regardless, free @MostBlunted and give me his warnings. No **** that give me his ban and absolve him of his crimes. I'm tired of gathering data for TW anyways.
You know... if you don't want to be here - you can delete your own account? You don't need to be banned to leave - and you don't need to leave permanently regardless. I got burned out by the forum and took 6-9 months off..

You know... if you don't want to be here - you can delete your own account? You don't need to be banned to leave - and you don't need to leave permanently regardless. I got burned out by the forum and took 6-9 months off..
But that wouldn't free mostblunted.......

Its called an equivalent exchange.
giphy.gif

lRHie34.png

I think the data you provided is sufficent to justify a ban, that is a heap of warnings. I also think that bans shouldn't be permanent except for in extreme cases (like death threats etc.)

And you're right, people voting in this poll is most likely people involved in the community, who knew who MostBlunted was. But the decisions from the moderators are final and should be respected. It's just interesting to see where the community stands sometimes.

So... I am LeastBlunted now?

He definitely did deserve the ban.

However, people should be given a second chance. I believe he did have more normal moments prior to all the recent posts bursting with negativity that got him banned.

So yes, I don't know him personaly, but he should be given a chance after a few months of sitting on the sidelines.
He did get a fair share of warnings prior to the ban, though...

He definitely did deserve the ban.

However, people should be given a second chance. I believe he did have more normal moments prior to all the recent posts bursting with negativity that got him banned.

So yes, I don't know him personaly, but he should be given a chance after a few months of sitting on the sidelines.
He did get a fair share of warnings prior to the ban, though...
I mean... this already was his second chance. This is his second ban; he got banned prior and only came back with a promise to behave.

"Baiting, passive-aggressiveness, and snide remarks towards others, while often mild on their own, have a cumulative effect and can be detrimental to our community overall."

Since you asked, I think the issue here is that these definitions are really broad and mostly in the eyes of the beholder. There is no "objectively" passive-aggressive tone, or post. It could be a joke, it could be real frustration, it could be literally anything.
As for our community, let's be honest. From where I stand, these forums used to be filled with passionate people who cared and contributed the way they could. Reports, suggestions, you name it. There was near-zero engagement from the devs, so most people left (these forums are something like 1% of the player base, perhaps less than that) because they saw no point in trying to help or to share frustration with the project. That's on the devs', no one else. Some of the most "rule-skirting" posts are just people venting frustration for a complete lack of transparency and communication whereas the devs themselves have always asked for support and feedback.
If there actually *is* some passive-aggressiveness here and there, I'm not sure it should be even considered a bannable offense. I mean, I've received a decent numbers of potentially passive-aggressive messages here and there, it's not like I report them or even care. They can even be mildly amusing. I might have been adversarial myself at times, too. It's normal when people have wildly diverging opinions and share the same space.

So, why don't you just unban the dude/gal? I mean, these forums are almost dead already, if anything it will spice things up with some back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom