[UNAC S4] Pundits - Week one!

Users who are viewing this thread

DUilzhY.png

"Phreaky is a company who excel at giving gamers exactly what they want. We are a professional, flexible and agile company who can work with gamers, guilds, clans and eSports teams to ensure they look unbeatable in the gear they wear.  We don't stockpile piles of screen printed T-Shirts, we create each design when it is ordered so that we can put character names, faces or anything else you want customised on the shirt to make it unique to you."​

Pundit Team:                         
Juve
CheesePizza
Clockwise
Boogy
John

Power Rankings & Discussions

Preseason:

Boogy’s Rankings (Preseason)

1.) wK
2.) TMW
3.) KoA
4.) Balion/HB
5.) Wappaw
6.) TSP/SF
7.) DoF
8.) WTTM
9.) MoB
10.) tK
11.) TFM
12.) VL
13.) PoN

Ranker Rationale

Hello and welcome to the first edition of ranker rationale! Here is where I will do my best to explain why your team still has hope to climb the rankings! I will also try to explain why I placed each team where they are and why. This is a large task that may step on some people's backs, but hopefully I don't hurt too many feelings along the way. 

The Top Five

First and foremost, let's talk about the constants, the top five.

1.) wK takes my award as the top team in this tournament. Although they did not finish with the gold last year, losing a very close match to KoA in the semi-finals, they have a history of success and have top players at each key position. This along with a chip on their shoulder for not finishing first last season, puts wK on top and the team to beat coming into this tournament.

2.) Coming in at #2 is the reigning champs, TMW. They too have a history of success, placing 3rd, 2nd, and now 1st in our UNAC tournaments. They have solidified themselves as one of the top-tier teams in the NA scene and have the talent to back it up. In previous tournaments, they have been an infantry juggernaut, relying on closed maps to pull ahead and secure their wins. However, since season 3, TMW has become a much more balanced team as they have recruited talent from overseas to fill in their gaps. Although losing some of their infantry prowess in key players, TMW has gained in other areas and it showed last season, giving them a highly valued championship win.

3.) Now onto the surprise of last season, KoA. KoA has always been mentioned as one of the most talented teams in the scene, but never making that extra step to enter in as one of the top teams. Last season, they showed to us all that with some new roster changes, they have taken that next step. KoA has taken on the top two teams in wK and TMW and have shown they can play alongside and sometimes beat them. With the addition of some new star players from the now defunct Rebels and what looks like a more proactive team, KoA is shaping into the team we all expected them to be in seasons past.

4.) In the 4th spot, I’ve put the Balion/HB combination team. Although Balion and HB were not apart of Season 3, they have earned this spot from their performances in Season 1 and Season 2 which cannot be overlooked. Balion was one of the most dominant teams in season 1 and HB dominated Division B in Season 2 as well as their promotion match. However, questions still need to be asked as the team is not bringing in any of their key cav players from those tournaments; Missing from Balion is Scott Ray and Blak and missing from HB is dman and, now wK, VinnyPooh. There is also the question of calling. Will the HB players take to the Balion way of calling or will it be a tougher transition than they expect? The main question though is will this team be the dominant force they were in S1 and S2 or will they end up as a team filled with amazing talent but can never capitalize on it like the Canucks team in BIT?

5.) Finishing out the constants of success in the top five is Wappaw. Wappaw reminds me a lot of how KoA looked at the beginning of Season 3 but without the new additions. They have a lot of great talent, but not enough great talent to field a full seven-man team every week. Their team is a mixture of highly competitive players that want to make that next step and semi-competitive players that just want to have fun and hang with their gaming brothers each week. For most of the members, the latter is what makes Wappaw great. Unfortunately, that also makes it hard to compete against the clans above them who can field 7 players that have taken that extra step. Until they can figure that out, Wappaw will be carried by a few individuals and hindered by the rest and will be perennially at the bottom end of the top five teams each season.

The Up-And-Comers

These are the teams that have moments of talent, but are missing those few elite players and that extra bit of edge to push them into the upper echelon.

6.) TSB/SF – A team that looks like it is on the verge of challenging the teams above them, but is just missing a few things. TSB/SF has had a mixture of leadership throughout its creation causing some instability in the calling department. Originally, this was another clan created and ran by Tesla, but since then it has been adopted and changed names and leadership. Once the leadership in the clan gets some experience calling, get some members that can play cavalry better, and work more cohesively as an infantry unit they will knocking on the doors of the teams above them. We’ll see if this is the season where that happens for them.

7.) DoF – They have improved and surprised a lot of us in the last two seasons of UNAC. Always a team that a lot of other teams looked past, DoF has now become one of the mid-tier teams that will have to be worried about for other teams in that skill range. Although they have had a change in members from another DoF-schism, the leadership of DoF has stayed constant, as well as a few key contributors. I have high hopes that they will continue to improve upon their past success.

8.) WTTM – A very intriguing group as it seems to be a mainly European team with a few regulars from WMT. I’m unsure where this team will place as I’m not sure how active the members in it will be. That was a problem for MTW last season which had a lot of great European players, but not all of them could show up on game day. If they show up, they have the potential to be good. If they don’t, they will be what MTW was last season. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt as of right now.

9.) MoB – This is the one team that I feel I may be under-ranking. They have some proven talent from previous seasons, but I’m unsure how well this group will mess as a team of seven when the tournament starts. That uncertainty has left me with questions and the ranking I am giving them. I know they have the talent, but do they have that edge to push them up a few notches?

The Prove-Its

This group of teams needs to show to the rest of the community that they have what it takes to compete against veteran teams.

10.) tK – A new clan with a lot to prove. They have some talent from previous UNAC seasons, but is it enough for them to challenge those above them? Can their new group challenge a group of members that have been fighting together for a few seasons? I have my questions on what will come, but I hope for the best. They have a lot of upside, but will they realize that potential?

11.) TFM – I am unfamiliar with a lot of these players, as they seem to play mainly on GK_Siege, however, I do recognize a few staples from past competitive GK teams so I cannot put them lower. I feel those few staples alone have the competitive experience to put them above the teams below them.

12.) VL – Although this team looks like it doesn't play native as much as the others, I recognize a few members that were apart of KM in Season 1 of UNAC and know they have some experience in native. I’ll have to see more out of them to have to gauge a more accurate ranking.

13.) PoN – PoN still has some leaps to take before they can compete with players that have been on the competitive scene for years. However, they are taking an active approach by joining every tournament they can to gain the experience they are lacking. More activity from their members on POM and a few closer matches would improve this ranking.
West Knights
REASONING:
Despite a disappointing finish in UNAC Season 3, I still think West Knights is the most dangerous team in the tournament. The team arguably has the best players of each class in North America on their roster; Calamity, Gelden, WilySly and Vinny on cav, Lagstro, RobertBruce and Achilles on ranged, and PPK, Beer, and Oodle on infantry. With such a powerful, diverse and balanced lineup, and a history of great performances in all tournaments they've participated in, they'll be the team to beat throughout this tournament.

The Midnight Watchmen
REASONING:
An extremely close second behind West Knights, The Midnight Watchmen have the potential to take first rank from West Knights at pretty much any moment. At this point, TMW's teamwork and cohesion is a step above that of West Knights. The only thing that's keeping them in second for me is a slight disadvantage in individual talent. That is not however to say they lack any: Unicorn is one of the best infantry players in the world, Can, Sikici and RelaX are monstrous on cav, and Sota and Clockwise are absolutely lethal archers. Like I said, it's not a big difference between TMW and wK; I imagine everyone is waiting to see how the two teams will fare against one another in their first match.

Kingdom of Avalon
REASONING:
KoA surprised everyone with a narrow and glorious victory of wK in the UNAC Season 3 semi-finals. They've been working very hard since their last place finish in Season 2, and have upped their game to a level I don't think they've ever achieved. Despite their victory over wK, I don't believe they're currently ready to take on wK or TMW, and for now will stay at third place. Their roster is arguably as balanced as West Knights': Cru is a fantastic cavalry player, John, Fatso and Rhadagast are all scary good archers, and Brave, Troubadour, Robocop and PolarBear are all solid infantry.

From the Ashes
REASONING:
I'm really curious about how this team will perform this season. In all honesty, I'm a bit lost when it comes to evaluating where exactly they rank in comparison to the other teams. Based on excellent past performances from both Balion and Honour Bound, I kept them a step above Wappaw, but a step below KoA due to the difference in the teams' levels of activity. FtA still has a lot of raw talent from both clans; Kaiser is still one of the best infantry around, and Zero, Phoenix and Chewbacca used to be in my opinion three of the five best ranged players in North America. One big difference between this roster and the past Balion and HB rosters that used to compete, is a total lack of cav. There's no Scott Ray, Hero, Vinny (former HB), Can, Blak or Angus, all of whom were incredible cav players for both Balion and HB in the past. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is anxious to see this team in action.

Wappaw
REASONING:
Wappaw has always been just a step below the rest of the 'top tier' teams, but a strong step above most of the lower tier teams. They're kind of the space between the contenders for first place, and the lower-ranked teams fighting for a higher place in the tournament. Wappaw's roster is always full of talent, and this is the first time in a long time they have not fielded two teams. They're perfectly capable of surprising everyone, though, as they haven't split their forces this time around. If players like Redknight, Zacty, Mafioso, and Quantum Matrix were to get back into shape, Wappaw would be a strong contender for at least top three. Everything is still up in the air, as the tournament is just about to start. After a few weeks of matches it'll be easier to see how well some of this roster's (and other rosters') key players are performing.

Turtle Knights
REASONING:
I'm excited about Turtle Knights. They're the players I've seen the most of recently in pub servers, and they seem to be working very hard to get better at all three classes. They've recently home-raised some strong ranged players in Hani and Tito, and most of the roster's players are really solid in melee. I'm looking forward to watching some of their matches and getting a better idea of how they play together.

Whoa, Those Terrifying Men
REASONING:
I always have trouble judging how the second TMW team will fare in these tournaments. Their large number of European players could be a benefit or a disadvantage, depending on a few factors: their Euros may not be able to attend matches consistently, and it may give WTTM some consistency and cohesion problems. I mean Vitus is a great infantry player, and of course LeRoux and a few other Europeans will be great help in the team's ranged game, but it's really tough to predict how well they'll do since I imagine many of them have not yet even once played together. I'm ranking them at about the same level as tK, but for entirely different reasons.

A Truly Sad Coalition
REASONING:
The old SF teams used to always be wild cards; one day they could take on teams like Wappaw and KoA, and yet other days would just collapse on themselves and have trouble claiming even single rounds in matches. From what I've seen, I don't expect much different from this roster. They'll have moments of glory, but I don't think they'll be consistent enough to rise too high in the tournament. Disco is a great infantry player, and Captain used to be one of the most diverse and best all-round players I know, but it's hard to say how much this team will be able to accomplish.

Defenders of Faith
REASONING:
I'm glad to see DoF register a single team this season. Having classically split their stronger players between two teams, they've generally had trouble against many teams I believe a unified DoF is perfectly capable of taking on. With Darin, William, Erminas, Varangian and Alec, the roster has a massive lineup of solid cav players, but I'm a bit skeptical about how well their infantry and ranged players will fare. DoF has surprised us before with unexpected victories over seemingly stronger teams, so we'll see how the first few weeks go for them.

MoB
REASONING:
In all honesty, I think MoB has a very solid and balanced roster. All the team needs is some more scrim experience, and I believe they could rise pretty quickly above some of the other lower-tier teams around them. I unfortunately don't see them around too often, but I don't see them as too far below the 4 teams ranked higher.

The Veterans League
REASONING:
Hard to say much about this team, as it is so new, but I've seen a few solid players around wearing VL_ tags, like Meadows, GoldenPrototype, and Olama (who, if the same Olama I'm thinking, has been around for a long time) who give me hope for this team. Since I've seen literally nothing of them as a team, however, I can't rank them any higher than this until the tournament gets going.

Praetorians of Neapolis
REASONING:
Another team that I yet unfortunately know very little about. I'm going to make a point of watching their first few matches, since they have been around for a while now.

The Filthy Mongorians
REASONING:
From what I can tell, TFM is half hoard of recently recruited siege players, and half older GK players. This team will either completely fall apart, or after a few scrims start to come together and become a challenge for the other lower-tier teams.

Preseason predictions are always fun, but also are usually based off guesses and deduction. If we go purely off what happened last season these rankings would be pretty easy, but in this case I'm going off of what has been as of late. I'm also going to skip the top 3 because it is too close for me to call, needless to say almost all of the teams are somewhat different than they were last season whether for good or bad.

4. Wappaw
Wappaw has one team this season instead of two, most would say that makes them stronger and I agree, but that also means both teams have to get used to each other again. They have also lost several strong players (Hero, Dodge, Manry, Jim etc), but have gotten back a couple back as well (Zacty, Blade? etc).

5. Balion & Honor Bound (FTA)
This team is a combined team from the remaining parts of both clans hence their team name From The Ashes. This team has a lot of potential, it really just depends on if the players show up to matches and if they can build cohesion.

6. Ministry of Blades (MoB)
MoB has a pretty strong roster and I think they are stronger than people believe.

7. Turtle Knights
tK has a very solid infantry lineup, they just need to sharpen their archery and cavalry departments.

8. Defenders of Faith (DoF)
They need to scrim more! I haven't been keeping track, but I think if they put in the time they could do well.

9. True Sad Boys & Strike Force (TSC)
Solid roster, just need to play more seriously and get more cohesion.

10. Woah those terrifying men! (WTTM)
Good roster, but so many Europeans. If they can get them to show up to the late night matches then I expect good things, if not then...

11. The Filthy Mongolians (TFM)
Don't know much about this team. I recognize some names, but other than that they are a question mark.

12. The Veterans League (TVL)
Don't know much about this team, but I expect a certain player to carry until they develop more as a team.

13. Praetorians of Neapolis (PoN)
I want them to do well, hopefully with some of the new roster additions they will surprise us.

1.) wK
2.) KoA
3.) TMW
4.) Wappaw
5.) Balion/HB
6.) TSC
7.) WTTM
8.) MoB
9.) DoF
10.) tK
11.) VL
12.) TFM
13.) PON

REASONINGS

1.) Coming in at number one for me is wK. Despite finishing 3rd this past season, they look like strong contenders for the gold in UNAC 4. With well known players filling in all their key positions and becoming more active in the months preceding UNAC 4, they'll be ready to rock right out of the gate. This, combined with the fact that they have a record of success in recent tournaments, makes them in my mind an obvious choice to take the first seed.

2.) After surprising a ton of people this past tournament with a victory over wK in the semi finals, KoA will continue to impress. Leading the way for them is a very strong range group, with the likes of John, Rhadaghast and Fatso being a difficult trio to contain, and right behind them is a steadily improving infantry group. The main area of concern looks to be their Cavalry. While, Cru & Brave may be good, having only 1 or 2 calvary to rely on will make things tough for them in certain matches. All that considered, I'm pegging them at 2.

3.) With their 2nd championship title coming last season, TMW is in good shape looking towards the future. Historically strong in the infantry category, TMW should still maintain it's hold in this area despite the inactivity of several key players. Their ranged and calvary game has also stayed the same, with no real additions or subtractions. Sota, Rurin, Sikici and Can are all fantastic at what they do. My only area of concern is activity and dedication, and so until the tournament begins and any activity issues, or lack thereof, become apparent, TMW stays third on my rankings.

4.) Wappaw is an interesting case. I feel like I'm parroting what everyone has said, but Wappaw seems to have a ton of talent, just never the ability to pull it together. Some good overall players in their mix like Pizza but no one who has really put them over the edge. It was a close call between Wappaw and FTA, but Wappaw having been active these past few months whilst Balion and some of HB has haven't been should give them the edge and secure them the fourth spot.

5.) HB/Balion could either be totally sick or crash and burn pretty quick. I doubt it will be the latter, so I'll stick them at a comfortable 5. Any team with the likes of Mad Dawg, Zero, Pheonix and Ordyn working together should be more than capable of winning the majority of their matches. The biggest question in my mind, then, is whether they will be able to get comfortable enough with each other and win some of their tougher matches. I don't doubt that they have the skill, I just need to see them in action before I put them anywhere above 5.

6.) My wonderful friends in TSC will have a good tournament, but won't be in the top 5 barring a surprise. They've got some skill no doubt, but SF never really impressed in tournaments and seeing as this is basically a continuation of SF, I'll give them about the same ranking. Here's hoping that their ultra hard core rivalry with tK becomes even bigger this tournament. The scene can always use more drama.

7.) Nobody can say for sure how WTTM will fare this season. Our second team always seems to have a different look and this season will be no different. An influx of former Wolfpack players has given WTTM a number of very good players to work with. I just hope they take full advantage of that.

8.) The MoB will be a solid team, but not one that stands out above the rest. Their leadership is great, but I worry about the level of commitment and activity from the rest of the team. MoB has the potential to be good, it's just a matter of how much the individuals want it.

9.) DoF, much like MoB, is a team hampered by what I think is a lack of individual commitment. It takes a lot to win, even in a community as small as ours. But, DoF has their share of decent players, but to my mind no stand outs. They could very well place higher or lower depending on any number of factors, but for now, 9 seems like a good spot for them.

10.) Having played them a few times, I can say that tK is a good team that needs to work on their focus. They have some great individual talent, probably the best among the bottom 5 teams listed here, but individual talent means nothing if not used for the betterment of the group. If your Calvary try to take on the world and die, they're useless. If your infantry get themselves into un-winnable fights, they're useless. If your archers are constantly out of the fights or die early, they're useless. If tK can learn to focus and work together, they'll be a fantastic new team.

11.) I've seen next to nothing from the VL. I'll watch them with keenly and I hope that they'll bring something new and exciting to the table.

12.) TFM, GK's second team, these guys are in for a (hopefully) fun learning experience. Beyond that, I can't say whether they'll do well or become a train wreck.

13.) PoN has, in the past, been forced to drop out of tournaments due to inactivity. With another small roster this time around, I can only hope they begin to put some time into their matches.

TMW
REASONING: Their strong inf, cav and ranged play combined with Sota's sometimes unorthodox calling gives TMW a strong overall team.

West Knights
REASONING: Solid team that seems to be almost invincible when they are playing well together. When things are down to the wire though, we see some of their newer cav fall off a bit. (Boogy and Vinny in the Semis against KoA for example.)

KoA
REASONING: The newer shorter tourneys seem to be the biggest factor in KoAs success. They've always had talented teams, but they never seemed to last a whole tourney. KoAs depth on ranged and cav are  great and make up for a lack of great inf players.

Wappaw
REASONING: How well Wappaw does depends a lot on how many of their cav shows up to a given match. Cav dominance plays a key role in wins – Redknight, Blade, Black, Rox, Mar and others will be important.

From the Ashes
REASONING: No cav mains between the two clans comprising FtA really tells the story. They have Unix and Mad Dawg who are both good cav, even if they rarely play closed map cav. FtA potentially have a real ranged threat between Chewy, Phoenix, Peasant, Zero, etc.

MoB
REASONING: GK's first team has been together for a while now. Solid ranged in Marquis and Sparhawk will be needed to make up for the lack of solid inf.

DoF
REASONING: I've been seeing more DoFs on POM recently than I've seen since before DW broke off. DoFs cav looks better than I remember as well.

tK
REASONING: Super active, always scrimming, always looking to improve. I like these guys and think they could go far if they can get some issues under control.

TSB
REASONING: Something is missing to bring TSB/SF together. There are times SF/TSB looks good in scrims, and times they do poorly. I feel like as a closed map team they are strong, with the change to no real open maps anymore, it might be a buff to their overall performance.

WTTM
REASONING: Based on MTWs performance last season, and the heavy reliance on Euros, I don't see WTTM doing well this season.

VL
REASONING: Haven't seen any scrims or anything really from VL. The few times I see someone with VL tags on they seem to be doing average at best on POM.

TFM
REASONING: TFM have some very solid players on their roster – Zaffa, LockedOut, etc. Aside from those players, I don't recognize many names from POM, leading me to believe that this team is built on a less than sturdy foundation.

PoN
REASONING: I'm not up to date with how PoN is doing at the moment, but I see Winnie becoming solid inf on POM.

Credit: Special thanks to Gelden for the idea!

Team Grading!

*Disclaimer*
Since the tournament has not yet started, and I was for quite a while inactive, some of these grades may seem totally off point. I've also decided to completely forgo grading certain teams, as I barely know anything about them. I will, however, stand by my given grades until they are proven to me to be wrong.

TEAM NAME: Defenders of Faith
Infantry Grade - C-
Reasoning - From what I've seen, Jeep is the only player who keeps DoF's infantry grade above a "D." They are also a very experienced team, so their cohesion does have something to do with it, but no one from the roster really shines.

Cavalry Grade - B-
Reasoning - For me, this is where DoF shines. With NA players like Darin, William and Alec, and EU players like Erminas and Varangian, they have a solid and diverse lineup of cav players. DoF's cav can pretty easily harrass and dominate the cav players of most other mid/low-tier teams. On a good day, I feel like they could even provide a challenge for any of the high mid-tier teams. Between the large number of talented cav players and their smart closed and open map play, DoF's cav lineup stands on a "B-" for me.

Ranged Grade - C-
Reasoning - I don't know very much about specific players on DoF's roster, but I am confident in the knowledge and experience of the team's calling. I've always known the team to be able to coordinate their ranged players well and set up effective crossfires. Despite a lack of any individual talent, their ability to use ranged players effectively pushes them above a D for me.

TEAM NAME: The Filthy Mongorians
Infantry Grade - D
Reasoning - TFM is a roster with quite a few solid infantry players; many more than you'd expect from a team that I've graded with a "D" for infantry. This grade is largely due to TFM's struggle with group fighting. I've watched them a couple of times now, and their infantry really seem to struggle with teamwork, which is completely fair considering a large number of the roster's players are from TR, and completely new to the team. I don't expect this grade to sit at D for very long, though, with players like Creed, Leo and Insane on the roster.

Cavalry Grade - C
Reasoning - I am very impressed with TFM's cavalry's performance, particularly in their recent match against FtA. Jeffrey and EveryCrime are both really solid, and Insane seemed to perform particularly well. They seem to (at least somewhat) understand a cavalry player's role in both closed and open maps, but they aren't at the level to take on the high mid-tier and high-tier teams' cavalry.

Ranged Grade - C-
Reasoning - For me this grade bounced between a "D" and a "C-" for a while. Like their infantry, TFM's ranged players are individually solid, but their teamwork is questionable sometimes. Their awareness is pretty bad, which could either reflect the individual players' ability to keep an eye while still playing their role, or the team's overall lack of communication. Either way, the ranged players (despite being pretty good) suffer because of it.

TEAM NAME: From the Ashes
Infantry Grade - B-
Reasoning - Not too long ago, I participated in a friendly match against FtA. To be honest, I expected next to nothing from their infantry players, particularly because their key infantry player Kaiser wasn't going to be playing that night. They weren't exactly top-tier, but they did surprise. Kaiser is known to many as one of the best infantry players in North America, and he alone can accomplish a hell of a lot for his team. However there are players like Ordyn and Honey Badger who should not be completely dismissed. From what I can tell, Ordyn could be really dangerous with just some more activity, and Honey Badger is a well above-average support infantry player. I was originally considering grading FtA at most a "C" for infantry, but to my surprise, the team can still perform quite well without Kaiser.

Cavalry Grade - B-
Reasoning - I had half-finished these grades a bit over a week ago, and had initially given FtA a "C" for their Cavalry grade, due entirely to Mad Dawg's ability to perform well in any class. However, FtA recently picked up Can, who is known by most NA players as a superb cavalry player. His presence will certainly help them, but I don't think he and Mad Dawg alone can accomplish what they'd need to in order to get this grade to an "A." I don't think Can has the flexibility as a cav player to pull the team's weight in all maps and situations, and that's completely alright: there are very few players who play any class who can play like that. However, if Mad and Can were to start coordinating really well, this grade could easily start moving upwards.

Ranged Grade - B+
Reasoning - I'm very excited about the possibilities in FtA's ranged game. They have, in my opinion, the largest number of top-tier archers out of any of the teams in the tournament. Zero, Chewbacca, Phoenix and Peasant were all at some point regarded as one of the best ranged players in North America. Any one of those ranged players mentioned have the potential to tear other teams to pieces, and if they all become active again and learn to work well together, they will be an absolutely monstrous force to reckon with. This one is a "B+" for sheer potential.

TEAM NAME: Knights of Avalon
Infantry Grade - B
Reasoning - KoA has a roster full of solid infantry players, but they don't have any that stick out as top-tier scrub-stomping beasts like a few of the other teams have. Troubadour, RoboCop, Cheng Pu, Aporta and PolarBear are all good, but they're missing that PPK, Unicorn or Kaiser element that pulls together the infantry lineups of each of those players' respective teams. A few of KoA's infantry certainly have the potential to fulfill that role in KoA's roster, but from what I can tell at this point it has yet to happen.

Cavalry Grade - B-
Reasoning - I thought about this grade for a bit longer than the other two grades for KoA. Cru and Brave are both great, but I don't believe KoA has the depth of cavalry players that other teams have to carry them through some situations or maps that may require a few more horses.

Ranged Grade - B+
Reasoning - KoA's performance always seems to depend pretty heavily on how well their key ranged players play. John, Rhad and Fatso are three of the best ranged players NA has ever seen, and on a good day they'll tear pretty much any other team apart. One thing I've noticed is that all three of them tend to fall pretty quickly under pressure, whereas some other top ranged players have a bit more survivability. Additionally, the rest of the team tends to crumble if the ranged players start to fall. These are pretty minor details, but with some brushing up KoA could pretty easily have the best ranged lineup in the tournament.

TEAM NAME: The Midnight Watchmen
Infantry Grade - A-
Reasoning - TMW has a long history of great infantry performance. Unicorn and Mok have for years been two of the best infantry in North America, and Warpath is certainly worth mentioning. They also have fantastic cohesion; arguably greater than any other team in the tournament. Their ability to cooperate with and supplement how their ranged and cavalry play is pretty unique. TMW's infantry is definitely deserved of the first high-tier grade I'm giving.

Cavalry Grade - B
Reasoning - TMW having lost Can to FtA is unfortunate for them, but it has in no way left the team without options: RelaX and Sikici are both very impressive cavalry players considering the ping they play with, and other players like Mr. X, Clockwise and Unicorn can certainly pull their weight when required. With a decent number of players who can play at a competitive level on horseback, they have the flexibility to perform actually quite well on certain open maps that require a loadout they might not be as comfortable with.

Ranged Grade - B+
Reasoning - Aside from Sota, I don't think TMW has any ace ranged players. However, I do believe TMW has the smartest ranged lineup in the tournament, with Clockwise, Rurin, Fiery and Rayden. Under Sota's leadership, they're constantly able to kite and creat new angles and opportunities, which is something I believe no other team in the tournament can do as well. This also speaks to the quality of their other players, who are able to position themselves and fight in a way that's almost always opening up shots for the ranged players. This grade is just a hair below an "A-" and will most likely not take long at all to move up.

TEAM NAME: Ministry of Blades
Infantry Grade - C-
Reasoning - MoB has a pretty well-rounded lineup. Their infantry players are all solid, but their group fighting just doesn't seem to come together.

Cavalry Grade - C
Reasoning - Again, MoB's lineup is well-rounded, and for me a few their cavalry players do stick out. Theotian and chainsawpunisher in particular consistently perform well and have a good head for picking off ranged players and supporting their own.

Ranged Grade - C+
Reasoning - MoB's ranged players are consistent and dangerous. I'm guessing it has partly to do with their experience playing siege, but most of the ranged players are pretty aware, particularly on closed maps. Marquis stands out as a smart and accurate archer.

TEAM NAME: Praetorians of Neapolis

***Grades Not Yet Available***

TEAM NAME: a Truly Sad Coalition
Infantry Grade - C
Reasoning - I feel like if TSC is going to succeed against other teams, it'll be with their infantry or ranged players. The only infantry players on the roster who I'd say play at a high mid-tier level are Disco and Rallix, but I do know that some others like Fengay and Ummmmmmidk are solid. Despite the talent this roster's infantry players have, I can't say much for their cohesion. I feel like they could improve most quickly with their infantry than their other classes, as they do have the talent. After a few weeks, this grade could I think pretty easily jump up to a high mid-tier grade.

Cavalry Grade - D
Reasoning - Rallix is okay on a horse, but other than that I can't think of anyone else on the roster who can really pull their weight on a horse. Cavalry is easily TSC's weak point.

Ranged Grade - C
Reasoning - Captain, MOG, Ummmmmmidk and others are all solid ranged players, but I don't believe TSC yet has the cohesion and organization to put them to proper use. If he were more active, I believe Captain alone could push TSC's ranged grade up a couple notches. Like the infantry grade, it wouldn't take much for this grade to rise.

TEAM NAME: Turtle Knights
Infantry Grade - B-
Reasoning - It's tough for me to grade tK, since I haven't seen them in too many scrims, but I do believe I've seen enough to know they have a large pool of very solid infantry players. Tito has become an extremely skilled infantry player, and others like Hani, Magerick, Heat and Blonde Barbarian are all very good. With some work on their cohesion and group fighting, tK's infantry lineup could probably quite soon provide a challenge for the higher-tier teams.

Cavalry Grade - C-
Reasoning - Cavalry is definitely the weakest part of tK's roster. From what I can tell, they don't really have anyone to focus on and specialize in cavalry. It'll take some time, but I'm sure they have the motivation and ability to get a few players up to a high enough level to complement their infantry.

Ranged Grade - C
Reasoning - I have noticed that Tito, Hani and a few others from tK have been working on their ranged game. I've actually seen some of them show moments of brilliance, but the problem is Tito and Hani are both way better off playing as infantry. Like their cavalry, I believe tK needs to find a few key players who can focus on ranged and get really good at it.

TEAM NAME: The Veterans League
Infantry Grade - C-
Reasoning - From what I've seen, VL does have a few players who are pretty good at infantry. Meadows, GoldenPrototype, and Olama are all solid, but there's pretty much no cohesion. This grade is barely above a "D."

Cavalry Grade - D
Reasoning - I have unfortunately seen nothing to convince me that anyone on VL's roster can play cavalry at anything more than a low-tier level.

Ranged Grade - D
Reasoning - Like their cavalry, VL's ranged lineup is not much more than a bunch of green boys who were handed bows last week. Not to fault the team or its players, but it is pretty much impossible for a team with so many players who are so new to Native or even Warband itself to play at a competitive level.

TEAM NAME: Wappaw
Infantry Grade - C
Reasoning - I've puzzled over why Wappaw loses some matches that I'm always sure they'll win. I believe the answer lies with their infantry players. The only players who can stand against the other high mid-tier infantry lineups are Kelquethas and Cheese; the rest seem to melt like butter as soon as the fighting gets thick. Their cohesion is sometimes pretty good, but infantry is quite obviously Wappaw's weak point.

Cavalry Grade - B+
Reasoning - Wappaw has classically been a clan with very strong cavalry players. Redknight, GreenKnight, Cheese, Templar, Redknight, Blade and Black are all very good. Give Wappaw an open map like Legacy Plains, and their cavalry will tear most other clans' cavalry to pieces. Having so many competitively viable cavalry players also gives them a lot of flexibility.

Ranged Grade - B
Reasoning - Quantum and Zacty are two of the best ranged players around, and Cheese and Mafioso are both really solid (though I'm sure Mafioso has a few inches of rust to scrape off). I don't believe Wappaw's ranged players are as cohesive and organized as those of some of the other higher-level teams. If you pair that with their often struggling infantry, Wappaw's ground troops tend to be flimsy in comparison to their cavalry. The sheer skill of some of the ranged players, however, still warrants them a "B."

TEAM NAME: West Knights
Infantry Grade - A-
Reasoning - I believe wK's infantry are the only infantry lineup in the tournament who can match TMW's. I don't believe any other team has as powerful a pair of infantry as Oodle and PPK. Calamity and VinnyPooh are also extremely solid, and Cradoc and WilySly are fantastic support players. The only thing that keeps TMW and wK's infantry grade at the same level is the fact that TMW's cohesion and organization is generally more consistent, whereas wK has a larger pool of skill.

Cavalry Grade - A-
Reasoning - Between Calamity, VinnyPooh, Lagstro, Gelden, WilySly, PPK and Boogy, I don't think any other team has as large a reservoire of top-tier cavalry players as wK does. Each of the players I mentioned could function as a mounted anchor for any lesser team. With better cohesion and teamwork with their infantry and ranged players, wK's cavalry's grade could quite easily move up to an "A."

Ranged Grade - B+
Reasoning - Despite being arguably the best ranged lineup in the tournament, wK's ranged players have been struggling. Lagstro, RobertBruce and Achilles were for a long time known well as the most dangerous trio of ranged players in NA, but with questionable activity from RobertBruce and inconsistent performances from Lagstro and Achilles, wK's ranged players aren't what they were about a year ago. Oenomaus and Varill are worth mentioning here too, as they are both well above-average ranged players who have done a great job with pulling the team's weight when necessary.

TEAM NAME: Whoa, Those Terrifying Men!

***Grades Not Yet Available***

valent69 said:
:lol: OK 

What?!?!?! Only 3?!?!              ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ AT LEAST 2 MORE PUNDITS or RIOTヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Planning on posting the rest tommorrow or the day after. Didn't want to overwhelm people with walls of text right away :wink:

#hype

If you all want another commentator I would be willing to volunteer. After doing it for the finals in UNAC 3 I discovered that I enjoy it and since the hate-mail was not overwhelming I'm willing to give it another shot.

Added team grading! Had to post it in Clocks reply (who cares what he has to say right? LOL) because apparently I can't include more than 4000 letters in my thread.

#lame

Arys said:
Added team grading! Had to post it in Clocks reply (who cares what he has to say right? LOL) because apparently I can't include more than 4000 letters in my thread.

#lame

I ran into that problem in my thread back in S1.. stole the first 4 posts AND kept an archive thread to run it.  Pain in the arse

Back
Top Bottom