Ultra-realistic games with your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Before you go too far into development, I might point out that there is a reason games don't have never-ending bullet holes, shell casings, and bodies.

Performance.

After a short time, you'll just simply be unable to render every single object. That's why games remove them, it no longer has to render them.

I am familiar with this, having encountered the problem myself back in the day when I used to try and hack SWAT 4 into having persistent bullet holes. I aim to have persistent bullet holes that do one of two things:
They either disappear completely after a few minutes, or...
I can make bullet holes visible only when they are in the player's vision, meaning that bullet holes etc outside the player's vision will not be rendered, thereby increasing performance.

Unfortunately even making them only render when in the player's vision won't alleviate the problem, as the processor still has to determine if the holes are in the player's sight.

You only need to build the mechanics realistically and realism will follow. Take Arma for instance. In Project Reality for Arma (which was basically, Arma Multiplayers [before DayZ {grumble}]) playing like CoD or BF3 was the short track to being killed. Playing smart and realistically was the only way to do well.

Make a game about ultra-realistic zombies.
Or make an ultra-realistic Minecraft.

Just kidding. Don't ask other people, do what you really want to do (or you'll never finish it), which I assume is some kind of GTA: London.

MadVader said:
Make a game about ultra-realistic zombies.
Or make an ultra-realistic Minecraft.

Just kidding. Don't ask other people, do what you really want to do (or you'll never finish it), which I assume is some kind of GTA: London.

Sometimes you'll never finish anyway. (Most of the time  :lol:)

I'm gonna double post (cry and let slip the dogs of war!) and say you've inspired me to really get back in to unity. I have a massive idea flying around in my head and I want to do it. So far just basic stuff like making a light act like the sun is really jazzing me.

What about COOP?
It's much more realistic if you need your buddies too cooperate with you to do something.
You mention SWAT 4 before, perhaps you could do something like that?
I recall it being quite awesome, especially because you need to work together, if that could be enhanced a bit it would be great.

COOP SWAT style game would be fun. Though it would be awesome if it had an unique setting. Such as BOPE in Rio de Janeiro

Back
Top Bottom