Native OSP 2D Art Ultimate Enhanced Map Textures - Released

Users who are viewing this thread

Ultimate Enhanced Map Textures

Hi community,

I am a seasoned veteran on Mount&Blade, I even saw the alpha stage of the game. After a long period of M&B madness, I stopped to play other games, such as Strike Fighters 2 flight simulator and of course The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim. I spend 1500+ hours (730 recorded by Steam) while I'm playing Skyrim. After such a dedication, I decide to return to this beauty, and like every game I played, it's time for modding.

So I returned "the work" and decided to replace and enhance the world map, and naturally the battle map of it's kind. I started to "work" on snow textures, with 2K HD maps with bump and spec maps. I will eventually work on other places of the map, and when i happy with them all, I will release the package, and I will make it an OSP to serve the modders as a mod resource. Feel free to discuss and pop your suggestions.​

Screenshots of World Map:

Screenshots of Battle Zone:

By the way, I need some help about making heraldic items. If anybody with proper knowledge connects me, it will be appreciated.

Right now, the bumps look kind of extreme. Toning that down at least a little bit might improve your (overall nice) attempt. At least in my opinion.
Also: I thought the color looks way too saturated so I had problems identifying it as snow. At least until I noticed that you made the screenshots in the middle of the night...
Could you please provide some more screens, showing your textures in daylight?

I will take some screens at daylight. About the bump, I have to contain an extreme balance about that. Because the textures in the war zones also used in the world map. In order to improve world map, I have to sacrifice quality at war zones. It's kinda hard. But about color scheme, I think you are right. I will work on it.

I don't really see how this is an useful OSP. Good Luck, lots of it.

Can you post more screens of other terrain (grass, mountain, desert, steppe, water, etc.)? Also, since this is an OSP, you might want to post a download link... :razz:

Mission snow texture looks fine.

World snow texture looks pretty unnatural for me.

And when you declare an Ultimate map texture pack, people kinda expect to see all map textures replaced and screenshots posted, not just one of them. :smile:

Seconded for download link.

Yep, it looks better than before. Stll too bumpy for me to use it, though.

About download links and additional textures: Guys, there is a " (WIP) " included in the title... Might not be the best idea to open a thread for one texture, but hey!
At least he's showing he already did some (even if just a little bit of) work.

That's okay with mod threads but for OSPs it's generally released immediately.

@VforVendetta, the texture looks good in scenes but it's a quite jarring on the campaign map. You can assign different textures to each by editing the commonres materials and placing them "in-house".
The normalmap is a bit too strong. Generally the shading on the diffuse shouldn't be that visible otherwise it can conflict at certain sun angles (as in the screenshot). With native's textures the diffuse is almost completely plain while the normalmap does all the work.

Guys, textures are WIP. When i finish all textures, i will release the pack as an OSP. I just want to hear your thoughts when I proceed step by step. Now, I have only working on snow, after I finish snow, I will lead to the desert and etc. About campaign screen, you are right. I will try reduce bump and look what it will look like. Thanks for the responds. I will alter the project a way I see, and way you see fit.

jacobhinds said:
That's okay with mod threads but for OSPs it's generally released immediately.

@VforVendetta, the texture looks good in scenes but it's a quite jarring on the campaign map. You can assign different textures to each by editing the commonres materials and placing them "in-house".
The normalmap is a bit too strong. Generally the shading on the diffuse shouldn't be that visible otherwise it can conflict at certain sun angles (as in the screenshot). With native's textures the diffuse is almost completely plain while the normalmap does all the work.

Honestly, I don't know how to do it, if you provide the brf file, I will be more than happy to work with it and credit you.

Copy materials.brf from the commonres folder, delete everything that isn't a terrain or map material, and then work from there. That way you can edit each material individually and not have to settle for the four textures. For example in my mod I changed the steppes on the campaign map to show up as normal grass, while plains show up as farms. Actual ground terrain is unaffected.
The problem with releasing this as a plug 'n' play OSP is people implementing this in their own mods, which may or may not have in-house commonres folders. In that case you should provide instructions on how to implement it. It won't be difficult for you or the modder, but it'll require more on both ends than a few textures dropped into the folder.

Hate to say this, but the water texture is watermarked with a squid...

besides that good work! I plan to use it in my mod if that's okay :smile:

p.s. including a brf would be nice!

Mispronounced said:
Yes, a squid. Look carefully at the texture.

Can confirm, texture is from TurboSquid, says so on the watermark.

ODvhaAh.png

Played around with the contrast and zoomed in to make it easier to see, wasn't necessary anyway as they're pretty easy to spot.

Edit: Sorry for necro'ing an old-ish thread, had to point this out.

Back
Top Bottom